The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2003, 03:33 PM   #1
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting Icons - a question

Now, it's probably just me being dumb, but what do the various message icons actually mean? I've done a search and all I've found is The Barrow Wight saying he uses the Eye to show he's cross.
But what of the others? I can guess at some, but I'd like the official version, please...
Old 05-16-2003, 04:14 PM   #2
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

There is officially no official use for any of the icons.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:43 PM   #3
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I always use the boot (unless, on some rare occaison I forget to). By now, it's almost instictive. I click "Add Post" and then click the boot bubble, and then I type. It goes not only with my nickname, but also with my Avatar. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Iarwain
Old 05-16-2003, 08:11 PM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I do practically the same thing Iarwain does, only for me it's always the Silmaril. Because it looks like a diamond, of course. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

For what it's worth, here's how I interpret some of the icons. Unofficially.
  • Sword — the person was too lazy to change the icon, or the post/thread has something to do with weapons of Middle-earth.
  • Smiley — person is in a happy or jocular mood.
  • Silmaril — hey, it's just pretty.
  • Hand of Saruman — a warning about something, or a topic having to do with Saruman.
  • Beer mug — topic having to do with alcohal, or the poster is in a friendly, content mood (or just likes to drink).
  • Green hand — poster is in strong agreement with somone or something. Also, good for those nomination threads.
  • Red arrow — person needs help with something; the topic has something to do with Gondor, Legolas or archery.
  • Yellow boots — having to do with Bombadil.
  • Shield — having to do with Rohan or horses.
  • Question — uh, a question.
  • Ring — having to do with the Ring, or any Ringbearer. Also, very generic.
  • Tolkien signature — having to do with the author himself, whether it be something about his life, or a topic that links the books with real life in any way.
  • Eye of Sauron — a really funky mood, annoyance at another's stupidity, or something having to do with Sauron, Mordor, or evil in general.
  • Pipe — having to do with Hobbits, Hobbit culture, pipeweed, or denoting an affable, leisurely mood.

Hey, I'm a librarian at heart. I've even given human personalities and interactive traits to numbers 1 thru 13. Don't ask. It would be off topic. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2003, 08:55 PM   #5
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I usually use the silmaril when ever I am talking about something elvish. Sometimes I actually try to coordinate my avatar with my message Icon (like right now since I have Elizabeth I over there I try to use a red one) I know that kind of sounds stupid though (too much time on my hands)
Old 05-17-2003, 02:21 AM   #6
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
*bows*
Thank you all for that. Diamond, your definitions make excellent sense. I have just been sticking to default sword as I wasn't sure what the icons were all about...
Old 05-17-2003, 02:45 AM   #7
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Some people just chose one and always use it... that works, too. I use the pipe out of habit, though it doesn't say much about me, as I prefer elves to hobbits any day. But most people either change it all the time or just use the sword. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~Menelien

[ May 18, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 05-17-2003, 03:39 AM   #8
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

In RPGs I like to use corresponding Icons... like I used the Jewel for girly- Pearl Took, or the shield/sword for elven guard Andunériel etc.

Oh and Gorwingel, I ADORE your avatar!
Old 05-17-2003, 04:14 AM   #9
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Like Iarwain and Diamond, using the Silmaril is completely a habit for me. I just don't think about it anymore. I do like to look at the icons people have used, and I think mostly people are like that, they use it to show something about them rather than their post.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 12:57 AM   #10
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Add me to the list of those who use the Silmaril as a trademark icon - there's a cross-linguistic association for me. One Silmaril is a star, after all, and "stella/stellar" sounds rather similar to Estel, doesn't it?!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:26 AM   #11
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

This is me all over "Beer mug — topic having to do with alcohal, or the poster is in a friendly, content mood (or just likes to drink)"

I like to drink but I use the beer icon as Diamond18 said to show that I am in a friendly, content mood
Old 06-05-2003, 07:46 AM   #12
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I normally use the Tolkien signature because I like the way it looks. Every once in awhile I'll use something different, but the signature one just fascinates me. I'll have to come up with some way to do that with my name [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 06-05-2003, 01:57 PM   #13
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I usually use the Silmaril because when I first came, I thought, "Oooooh! Pretty!", even though it was before I read "The Silmarillion". I've been using it from now on. I just think that it's kind of feminine in it's prettiness, and I'm completely girly in real life, so it fits my personality.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:02 PM   #14
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I used to use the ring but everyone likes to use that, and I like to be orignal. (Look at my nick.) So I went with the beer mug since very fiew people use it and I just like it. If I was in LotR I would be a hobbit so I guess that fits with the beer.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:31 PM   #15
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Well, I always use the Eye icon, even in PM's (unless I'm in a hurry and forget).
People in here shouldn't even ask why because most of you already know me to be a loyal worshipper of Sauron. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2003, 03:11 AM   #16
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I always use the beer mug icon. The sword icon represents a simple forgetfullness of myself. Sometimes, if I forget, I'll even edit the post just to get the beer icon. I choose it because, yes, I drink, very regularly, and for no other reason. It's just by habit too. I started doing it, and now, I see a post with a beer mug icon as one that I have written. Ocasionally, there will be a post that has the icon, but isn't by me. I have noticed that Trippo also uses that icon, I have saw his and thought it was mine. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 05:44 PM   #17
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

Rohan is my favorite Middle Earth country, so I use its shield in my posts. Every once in awhile if I have a question I'll use the question mark, if I agree strongly with what someone else has said I'll use the thumbs up, and if I think something's really funny I use the laughing face. Other than that, it's always the shield.
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 06:03 PM   #18
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Silmaril

I usally use the Silmaril

Sword — I was lazy or the post has to do with fighting

Smiley — I use this when I post in Middle Earth Mirth

Silmaril — I almost always use it. I also use it when I'm talking about elves

Hand of Saruman — I never use it.

Beer mug — I posted in the Green Dragon or I use it when I talk about Hobbit sometime. Or of course when my post is talking about drinking

Green hand — I don't use this one ethir.

Red arrow — I use this when its about Gondor or in RPG's if my charecter uses a bow-and-aroow in that post. Or of couse Legolas

Yellow boots — I don't use this unless I'm talking about Good Ol' Tom.

Shield — I use this when I'm talking about ROhan or my post has to do with Rohan. I also use this when I post in the White Horse in Rohan.

Question — I use this alot when I post in the Quiz Room. Or for topics lie New Game or What (or who) am I talking about (I don't even know half the time!). Or when I ask a question

Ring — When I talk about rings(rarely use)

Tolkien signature — I rarely use it. I only use it if I get bored of the Silmaril

Eye of Sauron — When I'm talking aobut Mordor or evil things.

Pipe — When I'm talking about hobbits, or I'm in a Hobbit RPG

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Forever~Earwen [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:14 PM   #19
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I usually use the Tolkien signature, because I think it looks really cool and mysterious. Otherwise I use the Simaril because its pretty, and the sword when I forget. I also like the shield though, and I like Rohan so...yah. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:13 PM   #20
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

I like to use the silmaril, because it matches my name and avatar.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:07 AM   #21
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

I usually use the shield since I love horseback riding, but I used to use the pipe a long time ago because hobbits have always been my favorite race.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:18 AM   #22
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I use the sword just because it's a part of my personality.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 09:38 PM   #23
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

Quote:
Question — uh, a question.
So that's what it is... a question mark... I've always thought of it as an arrangement of pretty blue lights (blue fireflies!) that just so happens to look remarkably like a question mark, but is really just a squiggly line.

Seriously though, I'm very proud to say that I've used the blue squiggly line in every single one of my posts. At first I was mesmerised by the blue lights ("Oooo... pretty lights...") and I clicked. Then, it was just out of habit. The blue squiggly line (I refuse to call it a question mark! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) is my trademark icon, and it matches my Avatar too!

Quote:
Sometimes, if I forget, I'll even edit the post just to get the beer icon.
Lol, I do that too. But with my precious blue squiggly line of course. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

EDIT: Now that's just sad. A post this long all about a blue squiggly line. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ August 06, 2003: Message edited by: Eressië Ailin ]
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:09 PM   #24
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I guess I use the Silmaril frequently especially when I can't decide what else to use. And you must admit it fits best with my name. But I do sometimes use some other's if they seem to fit with my post.
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 10:19 PM   #25
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Question

I either use the sword or the question mark. occasionally I'll use the shield as Rohan is definitely one of my favourite places in Middle-Earth. I have grown to love swords, so that explains the sword, and the question mark... well, I can't really explain that, I just like the way it looks, I suppose [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]