Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #961
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Since all the players for the Ulfing sub-story have abandoned the game, except for Noinkling and myself, we’ve brought our little sub-plot this far:

HERE.....then.....HERE

Once the inquest is started my oldest male Ulfing and his two grown sons will attend. Noinkling’s character and mine will then discuss our opinions on the event. And before the Ulfings leave for the battle, our family group and that originally of bill_n_sam will leave the main group and head back east, away from the intrigue and the soon to be disaster.

At the end of the game, I’ll most likely wrap up our story with an epilog - a happier ending, I think, than comes ultimately to the rest of the Ulfings and the Borrim.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #962
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Out of interest...this is my first RPG so I don't know what the score is. Is 21 months a normal amount of time or was this an unusually drawn-out game?
Old 06-11-2008, 12:25 PM   #963
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Very long .... I have just checked the ones I have been involved in and they were four to six months. Island of Sorrow was over a year though.

I think a lot depends on the structure of the story and the context. Darker Days was a relatively simple plot and because it didn't relate to the "known" history of Middle Earth the writers were not too restricted by "known historical facts". However Red flows the Sirannon came in at under six months despite the historical context but the plot was still simpler and had a lot of experienced players.

This kind of complex set up where there are lots of separate groups make it particularly hard to gain momentum....

I can only conclude that minimally historical journey style RPGs with only one or two groups are the easiest to keep going.. at least that is the way I shall go if I ever dare take the plunge...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 06-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #964
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
All there needs to be for my posting is for Jord and Ulfast to connect with appropriate ramifications, including Jord finding out about Thorn and wanting to influence both Ulfast and Uldor in regard to Thorn.
I'll see what I can do on my end. I'm always scared of instigating events or situations, but I'll give it a shot.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #965
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Voila, I post.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #966
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Foley, your turn unless Gwath wants Jord to show more initiative.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #967
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
K. Thanks for giving me the heads up.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #968
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I'll be bringing an end to Fastarr and Embla within 24 hours... I hope... Just to wrap it up as well - and Lalaith will have a veto on that...
Old 06-14-2008, 06:56 AM   #969
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'll be very disappointed if Fastarr and Embla get killed.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:38 AM   #970
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I probably won't be online till Monday now. I'll bring back L's body then or you can just have him arrive if it is easier!!!.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #971
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I managed to write an ending post for Embla and Fastarr but as there were so many things I'd like to hear Lalaith's POV on I sent it to her first to be corrected / revised / deleted...

But that hopefully is coming soon and then the two will be written off.

It has been a great game but possibly a bit too complicated as a story in this kind of forum. The several sub-plots just didn't catch fire similarily and then many people were forced to wait when they would have wished to write and were required writing when they hadn't a chance.

But a great story!

*Just wondering how good this could have been* (never do that, I know... )

PS. Don't worry elempi, Embla and Fastarr will be fine!
Old 06-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #972
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Embla and Fastarr have left the story. So it's all wrapped up for me and Lalaith.

Thanks Lalaith! It was fun and a pleasure to wrote those characters with you!
Old 06-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #973
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Nice closing, Noggie and Lal.

Looks like Foley missed her chance and is off to camp until the weekend. Gwath, that makes it your turn.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #974
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Sorry to be a pain in the proverbial, Nogrod, but we decided that it would be too undignified for Lachrandir's body to be carried on a horse. They are sending a wain for him. Tathren is waiting by the body with the horses and 2 servants.
When it arrives he will follow it back.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #975
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Sorry to be a pain in the proverbial, Nogrod, but we decided that it would be too undignified for Lachrandir's body to be carried on a horse.
Sorry Mith. I'll change that.

And in the end the two had run a considerable distance so they just follow the wain disappearing.

No problem.

EDIT: Done.

Last edited by Nogrod; 06-16-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #976
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Nog's wrap-up for us was rather nice, wasn't it? That happy ending cheered me greatly during all the traumas of XLVII....
Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #977
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Okay! I have posted, and hand the baton off to...Ulfast!
Old 06-29-2008, 07:12 AM   #978
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Back to you, Gwath. I added a little bit more to my last post, so please check it out.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #979
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Let's stop dragging our heals, folks.

If by July 7 posts don't get written that take Uldor and Ulfast (presumably with Jord listening in) to speaking with Thorn, I will kill Thorn off my own way and leave Ulfast to whomever wants to write for him.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #980
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There. I brought it forward a little more. Maybe the ball will contiue rolling. I'm home for a few days yet.

-- Folwren
Old 07-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #981
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I'll get a post in before Friday, when I'm leaving for a week.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #982
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Post up.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:33 PM   #983
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Hi. I wanted to post today, but it doesn't look like I'm getting the chance. I'll try to write something this week, but I'll be at camp, so I can't promise anything.

-- Folwren
Old 07-13-2008, 03:56 AM   #984
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Great! Let's get Thorn good and dead for LMP, who has been really patient.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:55 AM   #985
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I'm wondering if a 3-way PM-built post might be a good idea between Gwath, Foley, and me; that would help us to include Uldor, Ulfast, Jord, and Thorn in more of a dialogue format. Let me know what you think.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #986
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I'm game. Let's do it.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #987
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, but it has to be Foley who starts it unless I change the ending of my last post so that Jord can interrupt Uldor. Which way do you want to proceed?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #988
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay. Great. This is the first time I've read this thought. I'll start it as soon as I've energy to think. I'll get the beginning sent to you two as soon as possible. That is, tomorrow sometime.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #989
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Just out of curiosity - is there any progress on this?

Old 08-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #990
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yes, there is. Slow but sure, a post is being built by PM between Gwath, Elempi, and myself.

Sorry it's taking so long.

-- Foley
Old 08-05-2008, 06:13 AM   #991
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

No that is fine ...just wondering ....

Old 08-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #992
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I decided to post the three way PM-built post between Foley, Gwath, and me, because it seemed like, as a post, it had reached a conclusion.

Gwath, I'll give you a day or two to post for Jord unless you prefer me to do so for Ulfast and/or Thorn.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:50 PM   #993
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

How long do you think until we can draw this to a close? We've got to hurry before someone talks Uldor into being reasonable and start listening to the truth.

We need to send Tathren back to Caranthir and then I believe once he is gone, we can draw it to a close, somehow.

What if...what if Uldor sent Tathren back, telling Caranthir that he would fight for him - almost fully intending to - but after the ambassador left, Jord somehow changed his mind? Right now, it feels to me as though Uldor is in a position of imbalance. He's not sure what to do, but Caranthir needs an answer. His oath compels him to swear allegiance, so he does, but temptation and fear later convinces him to commit treason.

Did that make sense?
Old 08-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #994
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Yes, I think so. What sort of thing would be likely to persuade Uldor? He has been pretty resilient to Jord's promises of power and wealth, thus the speculation in my last post that Uldor would eventually be driven to serve Morgoth through his own pride and arrogance - rather than by any outward temptation.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #995
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Perhaps, Foley, it might be helpful to consider that Uldor doesn't have much of a conscience. He's too ambitious and ruthless and willing to lie to himself to believe what he wants to believe - such is the nature of evil - so the self-doubt you put in the tale end of that post could be quite temporary, and of course Jord could "sweeten" the temptation in whatever ways Gwath deems appropriate.

I can post for Ulfast and for Thorn early this week, maybe yet tonight. Then Gwath can post Thorn's death by Jord's hand (no doubt). And then things can wrap up as Foley suggested. Sound good?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 08-10-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #996
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Perhaps, Foley, it might be helpful to consider that Uldor doesn't have much of a conscience. He's too ambitious and ruthless and willing to lie to himself to believe what he wants to believe - such is the nature of evil - so the self-doubt you put in the tale end of that post could be quite temporary, and of course Jord could "sweeten" the temptation in whatever ways Gwath deems appropriate.
I guess so. I can work that. Right now, he's just wondering which is the best for himself - the elves or Morgoth?

Quote:
I can post for Ulfast and for Thorn early this week, maybe yet tonight. Then Gwath can post Thorn's death by Jord's hand (no doubt). And then things can wrap up as Foley suggested. Sound good?
Gosh, would Jord really want to kill Thorn when Uldor already has torture in mind?
Old 08-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #997
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Gosh, would Jord really want to kill Thorn when Uldor already has torture in mind?
Can Jord control herself enough not to commit the deed, especially when she can rationalize that her version of killing is a most exquisite torture? And nobody said she had to do it fast.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:27 PM   #998
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Can Jord control herself enough not to commit the deed, especially when she can rationalize that her version of killing is a most exquisite torture? And nobody said she had to do it fast.
I guess Gwath's the only one who can answer that question. If I were writing an evil character (which I am), I'd leave Thorn to the torturer's (which I did).
Old 08-14-2008, 08:39 PM   #999
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

So what's next here? Does someone need to narrate the end of Thorn and get the wagons of war rolling?
Old 08-14-2008, 09:38 PM   #1000
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Finishing Thorn is a job for either you Folwren, I'd say.

I'll help out with them wagons o' war.