The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-04-2003, 07:47 PM   #1
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Yet another Spoiler...Merry/Pippin

I found this article at War of the Ring.net...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>From the Boston Herald come these Return of the King spoilers from Peter Jackson, Philippa Boyens, and Billy Boyd...<P>Philippa Boyens, the trilogy's Oscar-nominated screenwriter and producer, also was willing to offer the films' devotees a tease. "In film three, a huge part is the conflict between fathers and sons," she said. "Just as Gollum's schizophrenia is buried in the story and you have to dig it out, you have this story of fathers and sons." <P>Other events to anticipate in "The Return of the King" include the transformation of Merry (Dominic Monaghan) and Pippin (Billy Boyd) into warrior hobbits. <P>"Merry learns how to ride a horse and wield a sword, and we make big differences in Middle-earth," Boyd said. <P>Writer-director-producer Peter Jackson says his favorite character in the trilogy is Bilbo Baggins (played by Ian Holm), the humble hobbit whose discovery of the Ring is told in Tolkien's first book, the "Lord of the Rings" prequel "The Hobbit." <P>"We saw Bilbo in the first film," he said. "He's a very affectionate character, but we will see him again in 'Return of the King,' when the journey ends as the hobbits return to the Shire."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So, that answers all of your and my questions about Merry and Pippin's gain of courage. Pippin will definitly not be the Fool of a Took that he used to be. They are taking the comedic relief away from him completely as it looks to me.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 11:04 PM   #2
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Excuse me whilst I dissolve into a little puddle of glowing happiness....that's my Pippin. <I>*sniff*</I>
Old 01-04-2003, 11:16 PM   #3
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
I think that we will probably have a little bit of comic relief when a hobbit learns how to ride a full size horse, or a pony
Old 01-04-2003, 11:17 PM   #4
Candace

Silmaril

i really like the Movies i cannot wait to the 3rd one.
Old 01-06-2003, 01:32 PM   #5
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Excuse me whilst I dissolve into a little puddle of glowing happiness....that's my Pippin. *sniff* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> And my Merry...Mind if I join you? <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "We saw Bilbo in the first film," he said. "He's a very affectionate character, but we will see him again in 'Return of the King,' when the journey ends as the hobbits return to the Shire." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Pay attention guys! Bilbo&The Shire! <BR>*starts dissolving*
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 02:35 PM   #6
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've used up all my tissues for Merry and Pippin while I read the book . . . I hope ROTK does as good a job as FOTR and TTT did. <p>[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 01-06-2003, 07:30 PM   #7
Fingo
Haunting Spirit

Fingo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Fingo
Sting

Merry and Pippin rock! Go Hobbits! I'm so glad that those of my friends who haven't read the books and think M & P are completely useless will be proven wrong. They always seem to scoff at me when I insist that the Took and the Brandybuck have major roles yet to play.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:33 PM   #8
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

WOW, wow wow wait a minute<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> when the journey ends as the hobbits return to the Shire."<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Does that mean there is hope for the scouring of the shire???<P>And I'm very happy to hear of Merry and Pip learning to ride a horse LOL
Old 01-07-2003, 11:24 AM   #9
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Heehee, Pippin! <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Excuse me whilst I dissolve into a little puddle of glowing happiness....that's my Pippin. *sniff*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>May I join you? Pip's the best!
Old 01-07-2003, 11:25 AM   #10
Thingol1000
Animated Skeleton

Thingol1000 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No scouring of the shire, multiple quotes of PJ around the net of him stating that (sorry, just my accumulation of surfing, can't give specific links)<BR>I don't mind if they forgoe that. It was kinda anti-climactic for me. But I DO HOPE he plays up the Grey Havens. I would seriously depressed if he skips that!<BR>If ROTK does not end with "Rosey, I'm home",<BR>I'll be devestated.
Thingol1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 05:08 PM   #11
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Technically, the quote was "Well, I'm home." But still. I get your point, Thingol. I cannot wait until the final movie. It is going to be so good!
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:53 PM   #12
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Pipe

Ah, we should start a Puddle Club! Puddles Over Pippin, or something. Puddles Under Pippin? No, that sounds bad. But we wouldn't want to conjure up visions of puddles hanging over his head. I'll give it some thought. Maybe just The Happy Puddles.<P>I hear that the Grey Havens is PJ's favorite part of the book, so you can bet it will be played up. And I've seen a picture of Sean/Sam holding out his arms to Elanor aka Alexandra Astin as she runs down the lane to meet him. So the scene will run a little differently, but it will be there. I envision Sam carrying Elanor up to the front door where Rose is standing in the doorway...and he'll say...you know what he'll say!
Old 01-11-2003, 01:12 AM   #13
midgardsormen

Sting

Well, that little spoiler is actually making me nervous. I quite like TTT, but PJ tends to deliver what he says........for TTT he said it would no longer be Hobbit centric, but focus on men......and it did, so much so that I felt the main story (the ring!!) became episodes interspersed into what PJ saw as the main story.......Edoras and Helm's Deep!!<BR>If he is saying that the focus on the third movie is father/son relationships.....I guess those who want to see much more of Faramir will be glad......but I believe the focus should be the Ring, the Ringbearer....and will be sorely disappointed if yet another movie mainly focusses on Gondor, the various fights and men, with the Hobbits' story interspersed just enough so we see what happens to them.<BR>Others may not feel like this, but I do think that has been PJs intention.......<BR>Now, my hope is that much of what I feel is missing will turn up in the Extended DVDs.<BR>Because PJs has apparently said (to Sean Astin) that the cinema version will come and go, but the DVD is what will last.......and I am hoping the DVD is for us fans.<BR>I was so much happier with the Ex.DVD of FotR, and hope that the same will be the case for the other two movies too. Not that I don't like the cinema version.......I do!<BR>But I think the focus is a bit too off...not enough Hobbits <BR>So although I think RotK will have me in tears.....I do believe the lasting legacy for PJ will be the DVDs.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:27 AM   #14
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Pipe

Hobbits make the world go round.<P>Personally, I think all three movies should have been Pippin-centric. :P
Old 01-11-2003, 01:32 AM   #15
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Oh I hope that they don't forget the hobbits in ROTK. For me that was the main story in the book. But all the stuff that we have coming up, it should be good.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:36 AM   #16
Jen

Sting

One of my friends who hadn't read the books was devastated when Aragorn went over the cliff... "...But he's the main character!" she said. I was outraged.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:40 PM   #17
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Ok, no puddles from me, but I'd readily cry for our Pippin!!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "We saw Bilbo in the first film," he said. "He's a very affectionate character, but we will see him again in 'Return of the King,' when the journey ends as the hobbits return to the Shire." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well if there's no scouring of the shire (which there isn't), at least the movie ends with the hobbits at the shire but ... I though Bilbo went on the boat with Elrond, Frodo, and Mithrandir?
Old 01-12-2003, 06:44 PM   #18
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Fathers and Sons? You have to dig for that? In which of the Tolkien books is patrimony difficult to find? I don't see how Boyens is going to do much of a job with the Denethor theme, since that was not Faramir in TTT but his evil cousin, Franknfurter.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:46 PM   #19
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe because Faramir was much more evil in TTT, his father will be really nice in RotK, "Hey Gandalf take a seat my old mucka, I ant seen you in ages pal!"
Old 01-12-2003, 07:02 PM   #20
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Well if there's no scouring of the shire (which there isn't), at least the movie ends with the hobbits at the shire but ... I though Bilbo went on the boat with Elrond, Frodo, and Mithrandir? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>He does. I'm certainly thinking this will be in there. This should be the emotional climax of the film and if done right should leave many a wet eye in the house.<P>Just another semi-spoiler. In the Felloship Special Edition, one of the female writters (sorry, can't remember which) says that Galadriel will sort of book end the trilogy (remember she read the voice over in the prologue).<P>H.C.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:54 PM   #21
Malamute
Pile O'Bones

Malamute has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yea , it kinda makes sense.... it seems PJ took the view of Galadriel sometime in a future age telling the story. Kinda makes sense to have her finishing the story in the movies i guess.... prolly end at the gray havens or valinor with a view a galadriel.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:59 PM   #22
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Im glad he's not comic relief anymore.When I saw the first movie i thought 'He better not be like this in the second movie!'not because I didnt like it but because in the second book he grows up alot. So I was glad when he didnt become too much of a laughing stock, but I wasnt particurlaly stoked when the passed the comic relief to Gimli.<BR>Just my thoughts!