The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-14-2002, 10:28 PM   #1
Aragorn_the_Ranger
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn_the_Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The Hobbit the movie

If the Hobbit was made into a movie would you like to see it as it is in the book. What I mean is would you like to see it as a children's movie and have a lot of the fantasy cliches that were in the book (The talking wallet, Beorn's animals doing chores).
Aragorn_the_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 11:45 PM   #2
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

If the hobbit was made into a movie, which I believe is happening, I would like the move exactly like it was in the book. I would love to see how the director gets animals to do chores; I have trouble just getting my cat to run my bath.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:52 PM   #3
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Oh goodness yes!! Gosh, the talking purse is so cool! The spider song! Oh, the Arkenstone...ooh! The burning pinecones, and crabby, evil, talking spiders! Fat, sleeping Bombur, getting carried everywhere. Silly tra la la elves....Mmmmmn!
Old 10-15-2002, 12:04 AM   #4
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> If the hobbit was made into a movie, which I believe is happening... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Really? Where did you hear that? And I don't know, after the darkness of LotR it might be a shock to see a talking wallet. Or what about the cockney trolls? After the Moria cave troll it would be quite weird.<P>I read the Hobbit before LotR, and I know I enjoyed it...particularily the taunting of the spiders. But, as I read LotR I remember thinking, "This is more like it!" So, comparing the two books, there are certain things in the Hobbit that come across as very silly after you have read LotR. For instance, the Elves hanging out of trees singing Tra-la-la-lilly or whatever. Rivendell/Imladris being called "The Last Homely House". I picured a wee little cottege and when I got to LotR and they were trying to get to Rivendell I was thinking, "What's so safe about Rivendell? It's just a wee little cottege."<P>So, if we are to compare the books like that, imagine the culture shock when comparing the movies. Also, the stakes in LotR are higher, so the Hobbit may seem anticlimatic. Who cares about the greedy little dwarves? Is the world in danger 'cause they got kicked out of their mountain?<P>Again, I thouroughly enjoyed the Hobbit, but had I read LotR first I may not have. The same I think goes for a movie.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:57 AM   #5
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i would love a The Hobbit movie!!<BR>i went to see a theatre production with a fellow BDer and we had loads of fun! even before the thing started we were discussing the fact that the runes were wrong in the programme and the map had turned around! anywy i would dearly love the hobbit as a movie! if it wasn't for the hobbit and my fathers gift for reading out loud, i wouldn't be here!!(He has the best Gollum voice)
Old 10-15-2002, 04:39 PM   #6
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> If the hobbit was made into a movie, which I believe is happening... <BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> “Really? Where did you hear that? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I read that the hobbit was going to be made into a movie from another topic. the topic was on a petition for making the hobbit into a movie, I believe it was Mr B who said that it was already being made, I did look for the topic using the search function but I cannot find it now, sorry.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:54 PM   #7
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gee Diamond 18, I thought just the opposite! I prefer the lighter side of middle earth. After all the "Heaviness" of LoTR, I say bring on the talking purse and giggling elves! Cut me some slack here! I would love to see the dwarves in their color coordinated hoods and stockings. A talking dragon...YES! <p>[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 10-15-2002, 05:45 PM   #8
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

Well, do you think you could STOP me from going to see "The Hobbit" made into a movie? But I do like the darker sides of stories for some odd reasons...I like the lighter characters like Pippin, but I like dark situations and settings. Minas Morgul...*shivers of delight*.<P>I'm just saying I'd think twice before making the movie myself (if I were in that posisition).<P>I heard that Peter Jackson's original idea was to make "The Hobbit" starring Warwick Davis. One studio turned him down, then New Line Cinema said, "Why not LotR instead?" And the rest, as they say, is history.<P>Edit:<BR>BTW I did go see a theatre version of the Hobbit. I was impressed with the actors who played Bilbo, Gollum and Gandalf (Gandalf was a black man, but somehow he seemed perfect!) but I was disappointed that Smaug was killed by an arrow shot from the Elven-Queen (yes, queen) and there was no Battle of Five Armies, not to mention no spawns of Ungoliant! Yes, my favorite parts of the Hobbit...the dark parts. <P>[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]<p>[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 10-15-2002, 06:31 PM   #9
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Smaug was killed by an arrow shot from the Elven-Queen <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ahhhhhh! Evil! must... kill... elven.. Queen's!!!<P>That is just sad. In LOTR, at least there actually was an Elven Queen mentioned, not a big part but was mentioned. But... in the Hobbit? No that is just plain wrong!
Old 10-15-2002, 07:09 PM   #10
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Eye

Yeah. Probably would have given Legolas a shock too. "Dad! You're a she-elf!!!!"<P>But the people who were doing this were part of a regular troup, I think. Some of them played double parts (the Elven-Queen was also a Troll) and I guess they didn't have enough actors to go around. That or they just wanted to make it PC. I missed Bard and Lake-town.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:21 PM   #11
Childlike Empress
Wight

Childlike Empress has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Diamond18, no pms? Oh, well, I guess I'll ask out loud here. Where did you go see it? (was it recent?) Where do you live? <BR>You can pm this information to me if you want. My town just finished a run a few weeks ago.
Childlike Empress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 02:44 AM   #12
Aragorn_the_Ranger
Haunting Spirit

The Eye

Well Diamond18 you are right. PJ went to Miramax to do a "Hobbit" movie with Warwick Davis (If you don't know him, he's Willow from "Willow"). Miramax took one look at the 75 million dollar price tag and said no! PJ took it to New Line and got about 300 million.<BR>As for the idea that "The Hobbit" is being already made into a movie I think is not true. As a moviefan and I do a lot of checking out film sites and I have heard nothing. <BR>My thoughts are this...you want to see Tolkien fans writing the script (I know PJ is, but does he know everything there is to know about LOTR and Hobbit...not sure).<BR>I have to admit that I have started on a "Hobbit" movie script for my own enjoyment...and I also have to admit that when it's done (if I get it done that is) I am gonna try to send it in to PJ (Wingnut Films Ltd).<p>[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: Aragorn_the_Ranger ]
Old 10-16-2002, 05:25 AM   #13
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Tolkien himself addressed the silliness of the dwarf-greeting elves right there in the passage; "even dwarves ... think them foolish, which is a very foolish thing to think."<P>What we have in the Hobbit, I think, are elves who are out in the trees, relaxed, joking, having a good time, avoiding profound topics for the moment. Even the more profound posters on The Downs can crack some pretty silly jokes; I don't see why Elves would be any different. <P>Sam on Galadriel: "Proud and far-off as a snow-mountain, and as merry as any lass I ever saw with daisies in her hair in springtime."<P>I wonder what Elrond was like in his lighter moments.<P>What bothers me more than the elves "tra-la-la-lally " in Rivendell is Thranduil's selfish behavior later on in the story. Thranduil!! But then, elves aren't perfect; look at Feanor; I guess we're all lucky Legolas turned out to be such a good boy.
Old 10-16-2002, 06:23 AM   #14
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I was really happy to read this thread, and see that there does seem to be something to those rumors about the possibility of a Hobbit movie. The last one had a lot of problems so I hope they do a better job.<P>Yes, I do hope they keep it a children's story, but one that has appeal to adults as well. The book is filled with "whimsy", and I think it's important that shine through. <P>I think one of the most challenging things isn't the depiction of light-hearted Elves, but rather the different view of Gandalf. That's a chllenge to get right. Make sure it comes out as the same person as LotR, but a very different side of that person.<P> But, if you look in the earliest LotR scenes, there are "pieces" of Gandalf that would fit in to Hobbit, i.e. that great big hug for Frodo is one.<P>sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 10-18-2002, 05:32 PM   #15
TealDude3
Wight

TealDude3 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Although its not official, there may be a Hobbit movie. Even with the prelude in the beginning of FOTR, it wouldn't be quite complete without The Hobbit. I mean, all the book sets of LOTR it comes with the Hobbit.<P>Plus, there is somewhat of a small hint in the FOTR movie that The Hobbit will be made. It is the scene before Aragorn tells Sam to find a weed. Id you look behind them you can see the 3 stone trolls from The Hobbit.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:06 PM   #16
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! I totally missed something!!! What is a talking purse/wallet?!?!?!?! please someone tell me! :*( i am so clueless!!
Old 10-18-2002, 07:39 PM   #17
Eruialiwen
Haunting Spirit

Eruialiwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruialiwen
Eye

I finally got The Hobbit book the other night and I'm already almost finished with it; I couldn't put it down!!! And I was also wondering if it would be made into a movie. I saw the animated one several times when I was little, but all I remember about it was Bilbo killing Smaug :roll: <P> The light-hearted Elves are all right, just as long as they wouldn't be singing "tra-la-la-la-lilly" :lmao: I'd look forward to seeing the scene with the spiders And as for the cockney trolls...hehe...I was scared badly enough by the cave-troll in FOTR and wouldn't want to see 3 of them together! Thranduil's selfishness did bother me. But I loved it when the guard and butler elves got drunk Somehow I just couldn't picture Elves getting drunk!!! <P> Remember the prelude in FOTR? The part where Bilbo finds the One Ring? Maybe they ARE making The Hobbit and that was a scene from it...I know...wishful thinking. But it would be cool if they made that into a movie.
Old 10-19-2002, 02:55 AM   #18
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Lady Báin, the talking purse is mentioned in <B>The Hobbit</B>, Chapter 'Roast Mutton'. It belongs to the troll William. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Trolls' purses are the mischief, and this was no exception. "'Ere, 'oo are you?" it squeaked, as it left the pocket... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 03:00 AM   #19
Aragorn_the_Ranger
Haunting Spirit

Sting

I don't mean to hurt anyone here but I'm pretty sure that they aren't making a Hobbit movie. Now don't get me wrong, I want them to make it as well, but I recall an interview with Sir Ian Mckellen about if they were going to make a Hobbit movie would he want to be it.<BR>He said that if they were he would gladly do it but the fact that Sir Ian Holm would be well over 71 and that he would be too old to play Bilbo that the chances are slim.<BR>The purse that Bilbo tries to take from the troll makes a noise or scream or something. Unless I just read it wrong
Old 10-19-2002, 03:24 PM   #20
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Oooh goody, that'd be so much fun! <P>Would be a shame if Ian Holm wasn't playing Bilbo though, although my sister and I had a discussion about this recently: and remember what they can do with make up! I'm sure if they were making The Hobbit, he would be interested, just like Ian McKellen.<P>But what's this I hear about Mr Holm falling ill again?
Old 10-20-2002, 06:33 PM   #21
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Tolkien

They'd better make a movie of the Hobbit! That would be so cool!<P>It would definitely be a money-maker!<p>[ October 20, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:29 PM   #22
Faramir Took

Pipe

LotR is so dark that having the Hobbit be kind of light-hearted would be a nice change. Don't get me wrong, I adore LotR, butI like the Hobbit better. I think that it should have been made before LotR. I did, however, get to play Gandalf in a stage production of the Hobbit in my town. That was so cool.