The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Voyage of the Dawn Treader

So, not Tolkien, but this looks interesting: Voyage of the Dawn Treader enhanced e-book http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ste...k=MW_news_stmp
Quote:
THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER Enhanced eBook will be available on a number of handheld multimedia readers and touchscreen devices. Interactive features include:

Embedded Video: An Animated Journey of the Voyage of the Dawn Treader--an exclusive video offering readers a journey along the animated time line of the ship and crew's voyage, with original Pauline Baynes artwork, music, and narration

Integrated read-along audio excerpts: abridged text read by Derek Jacobi

Interactive trivia: flip the cards to test your Narnian knowledge

Full-color images: just double tap to enlarge

In addition, THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER Enhanced eBook features:

Map of Narnia: the original Pauline Baynes map of Aslan's kingdom, as well as a Map of the Great Eastern Ocean, where the adventures of the Dawn Treader take place

Blueprint of the Dawn Treader

Guide to 'The Creatures of Narnia' and 'The People of Narnia'
I wonder if we might see something similar done with The Hobbit?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Hm, possibly with animated scripted map with glowing letters appearing only when your computer clock determines full moon?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'm well aware that I'm an anachronism in this day and age, but to me all those "enhancements" only serve to distract from the book itself. Do people really want that stuff, or is it just an excuse to knock the price upwards?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Integrated read-along audio excerpts: abridged text read by Derek Jacobi
I don't know about this. I remember Derek Jacobi being outstanding in [i]I, Claudius[/b], and I'm having trouble seeing Claudius in Narnia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
I wouldn't think it would happen soon, now that it appears the movie will go ahead, but if there's a profit to be made in the foreseeable future, it wouldn't surprise me. Although JRRT might be rolling in the grave.

Obviously, I'm with Inzil on this one.

I don't think my computer is set up to determine full moon.

Last edited by Bêthberry; 11-12-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Do people really want that stuff, or is it just an excuse to knock the price upwards?
Got to do something to justify that $20.00 pricetag for a book now that there's no longer any paper involved, but all that pure profit to be soaked in....

...and you definitely can't go giving the author a bigger share either--they might quit their day jobs!
Old 11-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIl
Do people really want that stuff, or is it just an excuse to knock the price upwards?
Perhaps both– I mean, children might like some of these "special features", but at the same time it sounds like it's been mostly thrown together out of a combination of material they had already, plus rather run-of-the mill additions, like "interactive trivia". (I should have thought we were long past the days when interactive = magic!)
Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I know Derek Jacobi is a great actor who plays in some Shakespearian movies, but I don't know if that would be enough to induce me to get this, for myself or my kids, if I ever have any.

That's kind of odd, really. I think part of books being so wonderful is the fact that in reading them, people must rely so much on their own imagination to hear and see what is going on. It is sad that people want to take that away from the experience.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:23 AM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
While usually I am a Luddite I can see some useful add ons but I would like having the maps - I don't have a strong sense of direction naturally and am always referring to maps esp the Journeys of Frodo to get a sense of things so that would be good.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
I remember Derek Jacobi being outstanding in [i]I, Claudius[/b], and I'm having trouble seeing Claudius in Narnia.
Yes, he was unforgettable as C-c-claudius, but he's also played a very nice Brother Cadfael, among other things, so I have great confidence in his ability to handle the nuances of pretty much any material he gets thrown at him.
Personally, I'm a sucker for maps, blueprints and such (preferably on good paper), but I can certainly do without such merchandizing chaff as 'interactive trivia' and embedded animations. But then, I've never bought an e-Book anyway and I'm not very likely to buy one in the foreseeable future.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
Leyrana Silumiel
Haunting Spirit

Leyrana Silumiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Leyrana Silumiel
While I'm a BIG proponent of eBooks (for assorted reasons, including the usefulness of them when it comes to visual disabilities), I don't see myself buying this one or any other "interactive" eBook. My nook (the original one, not that color nook they're coming out with) suits me just fine, because all I'm in it for is to read the book. I don't need any fancy graphics or read-alongs or whatever else these publishers feel the urge to cram into eBooks nowadays. (Though I DO really like the clickable notes that take you to the footnotes / endnotes in question; those are always really useful when reading nonfiction AND even fiction -- such as Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell book.) It just hits a point where there's just TOO much, and it detracts well away from the book. Whatever happened to just reading?
Leyrana Silumiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Yes, he was unforgettable as C-c-claudius, but he's also played a very nice Brother Cadfael, among other things, so I have great confidence in his ability to handle the nuances of pretty much any material he gets thrown at him..
Oh he was great as Cadfael. I must admit that that although I haven't yet tried an ebook myself I have dipped a toe in the water for the Gutenberg project and Iwhen travelling - my young cousin in the navy allowed about a shoebox full of personal possessions at sea is certainly aprreciating being able to take a load of books on his iphone, and hte read quality is much better than I anticipated.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #12
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I didn't intend to diss e-books in general - I'm grateful to the people at Project Gutenberg and others like them for making books available online that are hard to get elsewhere; it's just when I actually spend money for a book I prefer something more tangible.
Anyway, reading about this edition with its load of gimmicks somehow reminds me of Theodor W Adorno's words way back in the 1950s:
Quote:
It is striking how these books seem to be ashamed of still being books at all, rather than animated movies or neon-lit shop-windows.
He was complaining about garishly illustrated book covers; little did he know what the future held in store...