The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hurt and Heal Take 2

Updated rules:

Here are the rules as of now:

From 20 to 7 - each player has 3 votes: 2 hurts and 1 heal. Double hurts are allowed.

From 6 to 4 - each player has 3 votes: 2 hurts and 1 heal. Double hurts ar not allowed: a player has to hurt 2 different characters and heal one, or he may use only 1 hurt and 1 heal.

When but 3 characters are left each player has either a hurt or a heal.

Wait for at least four posters to vote prior to you voting again.

These rules can change whenever deemed appropriate.

With the first hurt and heal winding down quite quickly I think it time to start a new thread.

The rules:

1. There shall be 3 votes per person.

2. You are not able to do more than 2 heals or 2 hurts per turn.

3. You must wait for 4 people to post their vote prior to you voting again.

4. We will not start with any characters but shall decide who is on by committee. In other words you nominate who you would like to see on there and they need to be seconded by somebody and then they are on the list.

5. We would be wise to not use characters found on the last hurt heal although it's not forbidden.

6. Maximum number of 20 characters.

7. Starting points per character are 10

Let's discuss how we feel about these rules. Agreeable. I think the voting rules of 3 with the option to double heal may be reviewed in the future when crunch time hits but this might work too.

Last edited by mormegil; 03-19-2009 at 03:58 PM.
mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Pipe

Just a thought. With 3 points to start would it be better
to start with 10 points per person, or 15 or 20?

And should the names be general Middle-earth or limited
(by race, Middle-earth Age, etc.)?

Ed. Or how about no double hurts (only two single hurts
to two different individuals per turn)?

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 03-18-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I think the double heal is a bit of a haunter, as it can turn to this "everybody has 1000 lives and only little by little they get hurt". However, the double hurt is quite dramatic, as seen from the first game's end. It will be also best to somehow reduce this horrible floodposting, although perhaps the four people in between will do. But I am still not settled. Not fully, at least.

The basic problem (it concerns both the double-hurt as well as the number of people needed between posts) is, I think, the number of people playing. That's the crucial moment. When you have barely two people playing (like it was in the beginning of the first thread) and twenty characters on top of that, double-hurt is almost necessary and it almost doesn't matter how often you post. When you have some five last characters and eight or so people around, the control is needed and I would even say that this double-hurt rule was not almost (note that I am saying "almost") needed.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Interesting. "Nothing" happened in the first two or three weeks but then when I'm away for two days (only three eliminated when I last posted) the whole game has ended...

Something was not in balance there. Legate speaks sense here: the number of people playing is important when the rules are wrought. But how to account for it if one doesn't know how many people will take part and when?

That's a tough one.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Or we could assign 'secret' roles that enable certain players to have five votes, or to negate another players' votes when Jupiter is in the thirteenth house ... oh wait, wrong game.

We could have an initial signup sheet and sign up new players between 'rounds' of characters, perhaps.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I would suspect that the next round will draw roughly as many or more during the next round.

There has to be installed into the system a way to ensure that characters will eventually get voted off.

I have considered doing a theme game such as elf characters or second age etc...
Old 03-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

So, is this kind of like Paper Telephone, in being you sign up before the game?

I'm still confused about this, but if I finally get the rules, I think I'd like to play too.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #8
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Here are my 2 cents:

I think the rules should change automatically when the list is reduced to 6 characters and to 3.

From 20 to 7 - each player has 3 votes: 2 hurts and 1 heal. Double hurts are allowed.

From 6 to 4 - each player has 3 votes: 2 hurts and 1 heal. Double hurts ar not allowed: a player has to hurt 2 different characters and heal one, or he may use only 1 hurt and 1 heal.

When but 3 characters are left - each player has 2 votes: 1 hurt and 1 heal. Or, as Tuor suggested (see his post below) either a hurt or a heal.

Four posts between turns seems quite reasonable. Maybe by the end even five or six posts between turns would be needed. I think the Gamemaster can assess the current situation and make the announcement about the change of the rules to be implemented at once.

The end of the last game was stressful and rushed. Refresh page - count - post - count - correct - refresh page - correct again... Grrr... There was absolutely no place for associated banter, which is usually so fun.

Also, yes, I think it is much more interesting if we keep either to Silm or to LOTR. Gothmog I and Fingolfin seemed to me out of place in the last game regardless of the fact that both were great characters. It would have been much better, IMHO, to have Durin's Bane and a contemporary Elf (Gildor, Glorfindel or Galadriel) in the game - with the understanding that we consider mostly their deeds in the TA, not what we know of their FA history from Silm.
But in the FA game Sauron should be regarded as Gorthaur Melkor's Lieutenant, not as the Ringmaker and Mordor Lord.

I also much approve of the idea of thematic lists (all orcs, or all Valar, or all Maiar, or the Fellowship, or Elf-Lords of the FA). Maybe we can also have a game based on the LOTR Appendices, with Romendacil, Castamir, Earnur, Arvedui etc?

Last edited by Gordis; 03-19-2009 at 08:40 AM. Reason: adjusted numbers a bit
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

I'd suggest one change in Gordis's ideas,
from 3 people left to the end of the game: only
either one hurt or one heal. This might allow for
more discussion and strategy. Not sure how this
would work out, just a suggestion.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:04 AM   #10
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Good suggestion: I approve.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up

I like Gordis' suggestions, and think if we're going to focus on either the Silm or LoTR, I prefer the former. LoTR is done to death, the province of movie fans... much as I love it.

If I can, I would like to nominate Melian, Maedhros and Maglor.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #12
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I agree that we should have a theme.

All elf princes- Finrod, Fingon, Turgon, Orodreth, Maedhros, Maglor, etc.

All elf ladies- Aredhel, Finduilas, Miriel, Indis, Elenwe, Nimloth, Nerdanel, Nellas, etc.

All creatures- Glaurung, Drauglin, Thuringwethil, Huan, Ancalagon, Ungolient, etc.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #13
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
Here are my 2 cents:

I think the rules should change automatically when the list is reduced to 6 characters and to 3.

When but 3 characters are left - each player has 2 votes: 1 hurt and 1 heal. Or, as Tuor suggested (see his post below) either a hurt or a heal.

Four posts between turns seems quite reasonable. Maybe by the end even five or six posts between turns would be needed. I think the Gamemaster can assess the current situation and make the announcement about the change of the rules to be implemented at once.
I can agree with these rules. Also I like the theme of the Silm, but do we want to make the whole Silm or narrow it even further to certain types of characters such as dwarves or elves etc...I would vote let's keep it broad and just get 20 well characters making sure to represent the lot of them.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #14
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

I would vote to have a rather broad Silm game now, then again LOTR game, then maybe UT - Akallabeth Numenorean game, then maybe LOTR appendices game (the last two I would fancy very much) and so on.

"More specialized" games could come later, I believe.

To the Rikae's list I would add Morwen, Turin and Turingwethil

Last edited by Gordis; 03-19-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Approve of all names so far nominated and would add:
Hurin, Haleth, Finrod Felagund
Old 03-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #16
mormegil
Maundering Mage

I would second Turin and Melian.

Add Huan, Tulkas, Mim, and Turgon (I'm not sure if Turgon is a second as tp mentioned him)

So the list now is

Turin (10)
Melian (10)

or are we starting at 15 points?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #17
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Hurin, Thuringwethil, Morwen, Beleg, Maedhros, Ecthelion, Aredhel
Old 03-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #18
mormegil
Maundering Mage

So if I have it correct:

Turin (10)
Melian (10)
Hurin (10)
Morwen (10)
Maedhros (10)
Old 03-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #19
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

I second Mim, Hurin and Aredhel

Propose Eol and Elwing

Edit: Thuringwethil has already two votes, mine and Phantom's
Maedhros has 2 votes

Last edited by Gordis; 03-19-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #20
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Why not add Thingol and Luthien (the whole family).
Old 03-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #21
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
Why not add Thingol and Luthien (the whole family).
Good idea, second that.

Beren anyone?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #22
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Andreth, Azaghal, Marach, Caranthir, Gelmir
Old 03-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #23
mormegil
Maundering Mage

I second Beren and Beleg

Turin (10)
Melian (10)
Hurin (10)
Morwen (10)
Maedhros (10)
Mim (10)
Hurin (10)
Aredhel (10)
Thuringwethil (10)
Thingol (10)
Luthien (10)

I think that is about enough seconding for me and Gordis However and while I don't like him I cannot believe Feanor hasn't been mentioned yet. What about Ulmo?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #24
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Quote:
However and while I don't like him I cannot believe Feanor hasn't been mentioned yet.
I haven't mentioned him simply because I can already guarantee he will be voted off immediately by a bunch of you holier-than-thou punks who actually think he did anything other than what should be expected from someone in his situation. Stupid Valar. The whole thing was their fault.

Except Ulmo. I like him. I'll second him.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #25
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I nominate/second:

Yavanna
Uinen
Fëanor
Nerdanel
Fingon
Turgon
Finrod
Ecthelion
Voronwë
Eärendil
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #26
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I second Fëanor.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #27
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Turin (10)
Melian (10)
Hurin (10)
Morwen (10)
Maedhros (10)
Mim (10)
Hurin (10)
Aredhel (10)
Thuringwethil (10)
Thingol (10)
Luthien (10)
Ulmo (10)
Feanor (10)
Fingon (10)
Turgon (10)
Finrod (10)
Ecthelion (10)

Only 3 more...perhaps a bit more diversity would be good.

Melkor?
Ungoliant?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #28
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I second Ungoliant and Azaghâl.

What about Uldor?
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #29
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oops. Mim already mentioned.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #30
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Huan?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #31
mormegil
Maundering Mage

The hound population was not well represented in our mix but it is now.

Turin (10)
Melian (10)
Hurin (10)
Morwen (10)
Maedhros (10)
Mim (10)
Hurin (10)
Aredhel (10)
Thuringwethil (10)
Thingol (10)
Luthien (10)
Ulmo (10)
Feanor (10)
Fingon (10)
Turgon (10)
Finrod (10)
Ecthelion (10)
Huan (10)
Ungoliant (10)
Azaghâl (10)
Old 03-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #32
mormegil
Maundering Mage

That is 20! I'm not sure how everybody feels about it and if there is somebody that a group feels we need to add but I think we are about ready to get underway.

Here are the rules as of now:

When but 3 characters are left each player has either a hurt or a heal.

Wait for at least four posters to vote prior to you voting again.

These rules can change whenever deemed appropriate.

I will post these rules at the start of the forum too.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #33
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Sting Ready to start, then?

Hurt Mim and Ungoliant, heal Maedhros.

Turin (10)
Melian (10)
Hurin (10)
Morwen (10)
Maedhros (11)
Mim (9)
Hurin (10)
Aredhel (10)
Thuringwethil (10)
Thingol (10)
Luthien (10)
Ulmo (10)
Feanor (10)
Fingon (10)
Turgon (10)
Finrod (10)
Ecthelion (10)
Huan (10)
Ungoliant (9)
Azaghâl (10)
Old 03-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #34
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Let's get this started.

Heal Turin Hurt Thuringwethil and Thingol

Turin (11)
Melian (10)
Hurin (10)
Morwen (10)
Maedhros (11)
Mim (9)
Hurin (10)
Aredhel (10)
Thuringwethil (9)
Thingol (9)
Luthien (10)
Ulmo (10)
Feanor (10)
Fingon (10)
Turgon (10)
Finrod (10)
Ecthelion (10)
Huan (10)
Ungoliant (9)
Azaghâl (10)

Crossed with Rikae numbers fixed.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #35
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sorry but you have two Hurins.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #36
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Let's test this out...

Hurt Mim, Hurt Thingol, Heal Aredhel

Turin (11)
Melian (10)
Hurin (10)
Morwen (10)
Maedhros (11)
Mim (8)
Aredhel (11)
Thuringwethil (9)
Thingol (8)
Luthien (10)
Ulmo (10)
Feanor (10)
Fingon (10)
Turgon (10)
Finrod (10)
Ecthelion (10)
Huan (10)
Ungoliant (9)
Azaghâl (10)

EDIT: delete second Hurin
Old 03-19-2009, 04:01 PM   #37
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Addendum to rules...when you post please check to see if you cross posted. The second person to post is responsible to fix the calculations.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:02 PM   #38
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
Sorry but you have two Hurins.
Ah, so I do...any last seconds to add in there?
Old 03-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #39
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I am for adding Finduilas or Idril or Andreth. Get some more ladies into the mix.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:07 PM   #40
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Miriel?