The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Middle-earth Pants

Now, if you are British, your concept of pants will be completely different to that of an American Downer and by now you will be sniggering.

But either way, if you dare, someone has designed leggings, swimsuits and some very nasty dresses with Middle-earth themed prints. If you ever wanted to say you had Thorin Oakenshield on your bottom then now is your opportunity:

Middle-earth Pants and other horrid things

It's safe for work, it's OK. You may want to get the nailbrush on your brain though.

Now, is it me, or do these garments look so entirely tacky because they are on typical models instead of geeks, or are they tacky full stop?

Either way, it got me laughing about what other things you might design. Such as Balrog Winged Spectacles. Or One Ring Shades. Or even Big Bombur Pants for those days when you need a cover up?
Old 02-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Obviously a movies spinoff. I wonder--do you suppose they have the OK to use those pictures from New Line/Zaentz/whoever?

I rather doubt the Estate was involved.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
"Off to battle swimsuit". Go on then, fight that swimsuit.

Don't you think the Legolas dress is gorgeous?

The map ones are more original, and so is the You Shall Not Pass one. Bit they're still far below the pass line of what I consider wearable clothing.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
The You Shall Not Pass dress is more of a guideline
then a rule (depending on, you know...).
Old 02-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
The You Shall Not Pass dress is more of a guideline
then a rule (depending on, you know...).
Wouldn't that be "You shall not pants"?

The unshapely geeks likely to wear those may look like they are wearing Bag-ends (TM). Definitely Frodon'ts.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Obviously a movies spinoff. I wonder--do you suppose they have the OK to use those pictures from New Line/Zaentz/whoever?

I rather doubt the Estate was involved.
If CT sees those leggings...

Now, I like to think he's fine with a Frodo Lives or an Eomer and Aragorn Went In the Van t-shirt but I'm not so sure about the use of the maps.

I would add a word of caution for anyone thinking to rush online and buy some. There are some photos of 'normal' people modelling them on the site and I have to say that with the unfortunate skin colour they have, from a distance they may look more like you have gone out sans culottes and with a bad case of varicose veins...
Old 02-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Ardent
Wight

Ardent has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
If CT sees those leggings...

Now, I like to think he's fine with a Frodo Lives or an Eomer and Aragorn Went In the Van t-shirt but I'm not so sure about the use of the maps.
I wish I had not looked. It's like Lydia the Tattooed Lady: "with a view of Niagara that nobody has"
Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I would add a word of caution for anyone thinking to rush online and buy some. There are some photos of 'normal' people modelling them on the site and I have to say that with the unfortunate skin colour they have, from a distance they may look more like you have gone out sans culottes and with a bad case of varicose veins...
Would you believe it: this afternoon I encountered a young woman wearing exactly those "Middle-Earth map -leggings" (combined with a short red coat and black highheeled boots). And it looked exactly the way Lalwendë feared! When I saw the girl approaching from far away I had the impression of bare legs with varicous veins or bruises, and thought "what the heck??" until she war near enough to see the details. (I read your post only afterwards)
Old 02-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting Nasty!

Lalwendë, you've discovered some nasty stuff. The ones I had a laugh at were the Witch King Leggings, and what the site said about them:

This guy was Sauron's second in command for over 4000 years, he invaded the kingdoms of Arnor, he's responsible for the fall of the kings of Gondor, he wields a sword and a mace (or a flail depending on your adaptation) and it took the most badass of all badass chicks to finally bring him down. So all in all he's a pretty epic fellow. He did stab a Hobbit once but we won't hold that against him.

Composition: 83% Polyester Bright, 17% Spandex
Washing: Please hand wash cool.
Designer: James Lillis
Made in: Australia

I can imagine the now disembodied wraith full of wrath at the lack of respect shown him, particularly at the percentage of polyester used, and vowing, if he ever gained physical form again, terrible revenge on James Lillis in particular, and Australians in general.
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
Elyna of Rivendell
Animated Skeleton

Elyna of Rivendell has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir Jones View Post

I can imagine the now disembodied wraith full of wrath at the lack of respect shown him, particularly at the percentage of polyester used, and vowing, if he ever gained physical form again, terrible revenge on James Lillis in particular, and Australians in general.
Oh dear I'd better be careful (I'm Australian) I get what you mean about the leggings though, my friend actually has some but i haven't had the heart to tell her they look a little scary when shes wears them...
Elyna of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Ha, great. The Gandalf dress made me crack up, and come up with really lousy puns about uncloaking. I kind of like the map leggins though, but what you guys said about the effect from a distance might sadly be true. Some of this is just unbelievably silly. Names of all the dwarves on your legs? Maybe for the horny fangirls but really... Lastly, the Gondor swimsuit is quite cool, it would look better if it was just black on the back though.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
i hate leggings as pants...ugh, chronic camel toe

and legolas has his hand in an inappropriate spot on that bathing suit-publicly