The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2002, 05:39 AM   #1
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Silmaril The import of Autumn

As the sky turns a clearer, deeper blue, and as the air becomes refreshing and keen...

I find myself pondering longer walks, and perhaps choosing an oak branch to attatch a leather strap to for a walking staff.

I find myself reconsidering the woolen cloaks I made long ago (pretending of course theat they were from Lorien) and pondering the brooches I have already, and wondering whether one of the cloaks deserves a Lorien Brooch.

I find myself thinking that a brown velvety waistcoat and jacket might be a good investment.

I find myself wishing I had a few other hobbits to walk with once in a while.

And I find myself jealous of those people in California who are going to celebrate Frodo and Bilbo's birthday with a huge bash. If I have a celebration myself, it will more resemble the day before Frodo's departure, I am afraid; a humble meal, a quiet toast.

What Tolkienish impact is Autumn having on your life?
Old 09-07-2002, 07:36 AM   #2
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

I find myself more willing to leave the Shire (aka Pittsburgh) and long to travel to lands far away.

I also wish I had a place to go like Rivendell, with a fire and old friends waiting for me.
Old 09-07-2002, 11:54 PM   #3
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

The desire for a pack of Ents to come upon the smelly, overpopulated city I am in and let me actually experience the nature of Autumn. I miss apple orchards (sniff).
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 06:18 AM   #4
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What a nice idea for a thread. Thank you, mark12_30. Now I shall wax poetic. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

A few weeks ago, on a walk to the store I looked up to see two swans flying overhead. Their wings whistled quietly in the wind as the headed south for the evening. I pondered on this, the first sign of Autumn, and shook it off.
No, it can't be, I thought. Too early. On my return, I saw three Canadian geese arrive at the lake near my home, and had my thought confirmed. Canadian geese only arrive as a stop here, on their way south. Truly, as I approached home, I smelled a fresh breeze come down from the North, it's scent of green forests and cool night.

Since then, the trees had begun to brown, and tips of red can be seen at the very tops of the maple trees. Fog comes ever now in the morning, and glistening dew dripping from the roof greets me too, as I sit and write this, drinking my morning tea. It's been a long time since I adored a cup of hot liquid, and surely my thirst for it signals the approach of the coming season.

Now, like, you, Mark, I am feeling the urge to go out on long walks in the cool of the night, when all have said their goodnights, and the neighborhood is silent, but for the wind in the tall oak trees overhead.
Slowly the sound of the crickets is dwindling, the spiders hang their webs for one last time, in the cold of the approaching night. I see the stars as I have not for months, twinkling brightly against a sky of velvety blue, and the moon hangs as a sickle, heralding the harvest.
Thank you, Eru, for Autumn! I await thy colors!
Old 09-17-2002, 05:04 PM   #5
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dűm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
What Tolkienish impact is Autumn having on your life?
At present - only one. I wish I had hobbit's hairy feet!!! It's freezing in the room, the temperature has dropped 10 degrees in just 2 days.
And I'm only sure that some black-haired ork will again steal my blanket... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 06:21 PM   #6
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dűm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I, too, have a very poetic description for autumn.

At night, I also tend to take long walks, or rather (because of time) I sit in the backyard on the damp grass like I have done so many times during the summer and think. The stars shine ever brighter, and the foreboding breeze of autumn can be smelt. Green leaves which have swayed in the gentle summer breeze are now fading into lesser yellows, oranges, reds, and golds. I expect the oncoming drift of the coloured leaves soon. And (again, when I have the time) I find myself gazing out of the window at the pale, clear, blue skyk, clouds hovering in the distance over the mountain tops. I know soon the last of the summer harvest will be over, and indeed the early autumn harvest has begun. It is a time that reminds me of the waning of the Elves. Soon, many other days will come, and the Council of Elrond on October 25th, where I shall sit by myself outside, with my lazy beagle at my side, and give a toast to Yavanna, Giver of Fruits. Then my mind will drift into random thoughts, watching the leaves go drifting down, silently landing. And at last, homework shall break my reverie. A toast to autumn!
Old 09-20-2002, 07:18 AM   #7
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I am waiting for that first frost to come kill all the West Nile mosquitos, so I can take walks in the evenings! I am going to drag out the sewing machine and make some long skirts (to the ankles) of heavy fabrics, so I can dress in a fair, middle earth manner. A cloak should be simple enough also! I read a book called "Tasha Tudor's Gardens", Tasha Tudor (if she is still alive, she is very, very old) wrote and illustrated childrens books in a Middle earth kind of style. She sews her own rustic, old style clothes and walks barefoot in her gardens three seasons of the year. I love that book! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ September 20, 2002: Message edited by: Liriodendron ]
Old 09-20-2002, 11:14 AM   #8
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Alas! For where I live has no autumn!

But every 3:30 pm to around 5 pm, my room lights up. My windows face Southwest, and every 3:30 to 5 pm, the sun travels into my room and bounces off the light pale gold walls of my room. At those moments, I am taken to Rivendell.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 08:33 PM   #9
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, how about this. I am going back to school. Wait this is tolkien related. Somehow. I have to go through a lot of pain and agony like Frodo did. There. Other then that, not really doing much. Sorry.
Old 09-20-2002, 08:45 PM   #10
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Fortunatley, this time last year, a light shower or a chill air came over where I live. Unfortunatley, global warming has caused the weather to remain hot and humid, with no rain since tropical depression hannah. But the sun shines lovely colors of orange and red when the sun rises every morning before I am shipped off to school. If I stand in my driveway I can see the tall treetops being hit with the first rays of light, and I am beginning to feel the chill wind of autumn. At my table in the cafeteria, and at my paritular seat at the round, eight person table, I can feel and see the sun watching me through its post in the high wall-window. Autumn in....Maryland...though much beauty I saw in the fields in Scotland when I lived there as a child, I suppose MD is better than Arizona, where heat dominate and snow is almost never seen. *Smacks her head* ok Im done talking for this...ive taken up enough space.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:15 PM   #11
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

As the chill of the wind rattles my flesh, I wish for a warm pub and fireside to tell stories of old with friends near. I wish for a tall ale to slowly sip listening to those around me singing in old norse.

[ September 21, 2002: Message edited by: Beren87 ]
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 01:18 PM   #12
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Oooh, Fireside sing-alongs are good!

Let's start with an old Dwarf tune "Hi-ho, HI-ho! It's off to work we go!" Everyone!...
Old 09-22-2002, 01:30 PM   #13
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Oh, Rae, you broke my heart.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:39 PM   #14
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

Well, there is that whole "back to school" thing tainting the poetry of autumn, but my favorite part of this season is getting up in the morning and walking to my bus stop. The sun is just coming up and birds are singing. The air is cool and smells like falling leaves and that inexplicable sweetness that is always in the air. I always just take a moment to stop at the corner and look up, appreciating how beautiful it is.

I also plan to, when the leaves fall, rake a big pile of them and jump in them. One of the things my inner child and I love to do together.

And for all of you who are burned out because of school or work, just buy some apple cider, pour a mug full, and put a cinnamon stick in it. Then heat it in your microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Can't get more fall-ish than that.
Old 09-22-2002, 01:54 PM   #15
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dűm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Autumn is drawing nearer. I find my self wishing I was back in Oregon to see then green trees again and being able to walk on the green grass, and seeing the leaves change colors and fall from the tree's high in the sky. My favortie thing to do was gather all the leave's together and jump into them. But I am stuck here in California with the dry hot weather and the dead grass beneath my feet. I feel empty insdie now. For all is lost, Oregon was my Middle-Earth. Trees and Wildrness all around. Now nothing.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 02:44 PM   #16
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Oh, Rae, you broke my heart.
I'm Sorry; I've got some super glue here... It works great...really...

I am sorry for cracking jokes on your beautiful thread. It was so nice till I got here. My kids are taking me out back to punish me now.

[ September 22, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 09-22-2002, 05:31 PM   #17
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Not necessary, Rae. But you did have a great point about fireside singalongs. How about Psalm 144? (Just got back from band practice.) Or we could do the song that they sing after the fall of Barad Dur, when the eagles come back and fly over the city singing. Yeah!

It's raining hard outside, that chilly autumn rain. Muggy inside though. Too early for a fire. But it won't be long! I love my woodstove, and all through Lent I went down there to sing. I bet Bilbo and Frodo sang by the fireplace all the time in Bag End; how else did Frodo learn the longer songs? And his elvish runes...

TIme to go and check the bacon-and-mushrooms dish that's starting... "a mighty dish of mushrooms"...
Old 09-22-2002, 09:34 PM   #18
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I didn't know anyone knew Psa. 144 but me! I haven't gone to a church that sang it for 20 years.

I love to sing!
Old 09-22-2002, 09:54 PM   #19
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

I'm addicted to Psalm 139. But any psalm can be sung, if you learn the catholic trick of chanting them. Ever been to a monastery during The Hours? Very beautiful. And cool.

So you love to sing! Me too... that's what got me hooked on elves-- they sing in the woods. And Bilbo grew in coolness because of his walking songs in LOTR. And Frodo could sing, and Sam could sing... Ergo, they rocked.

I always loved Frodo's response to elvish singing-- that "peirced to the heart" bit. Very spiritual.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:12 PM   #20
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Happy Autumnal Equinox, everyone! It is now officially fall.

(Birdie throws a handful of leaves in the air and wishes she could fly South.)
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 10:26 PM   #21
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Call me a knucklehead, but I never equated Frodo's and Bilbo's birthday with the equinox and the beginning of fall.

Tolkien, you... you GENIUS. Pardon me while I go away and sob. --Helen
Old 09-22-2002, 11:14 PM   #22
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Oooh, singing is what I live for.

This morning, I heard brids in our backyard. We've got about 7 or eight trees back there, and I've never heard actual birds flapping their wings and singing right at home.

Speaking of birthdays, it's my friend's birthday today. And I just envy her for being born in Autumn.

And like Mark, I marvel at Tolken's genius for placing Bilbo and Frodo's births at the very first day of autumn.

Wish I weren't living at a tropical place right now [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2002, 09:58 AM   #23
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

Well, for heaven's sake, people! Tolkien WAS a genius in every respect! Why on EARTH do you think this website exists?

Anyway, yes, Psalms are beautiful. My Catholic church does not sing them, so I get together with friends and we sing them. My favorite is Psalm 23, just because it is so applicable and everybody knows it.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:43 PM   #24
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

We are having a rare dry spell here in the Emerald city. I walked to a creek that runs into the bay the other day and there were maybe 30 salmon in a pond waiting for the rain so they could go up-stream. The water level is too low.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:55 PM   #25
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

I think I am more in 1421. I went to the bay today on my lunchbreak and watched the grey waves lapping the shore, and felt like I wasn't at all where I wanted to be in life. "Ship, my ship! I seek the west..."

*That* anniversary is only a couple of days away. Sept 29.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:30 PM   #26
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

With the import of autumn, I am looking for ways to get warm. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And, uh, re-reading the Silmarillion, of course.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:30 PM   #27
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Silmaril

Well, mark, staring at the cinder block walls of my high school, I have much the same feeling. I start wondering what the Havens were like.

And I do have the sea-longing in my heart all the time. I live in land-locked Pittsburgh, and all the time I wish to "hear the cries of gull o'er shore".

However, today was an absolutely beautiful day; cool and crisp with the bluest sky I have ever seen. I felt okay to still be in Pittsburgh when I saw that. Of course, I had my face practically pressed into the grass with big people jumping over me (my gym teacher is an ex-drill sergeant for the Army Rangers)
Old 09-25-2002, 04:20 PM   #28
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Oh, Elenna that makes me sad to think you are land-locked and have a sea-longing. I love living by the water and missed it when I lived in the desert.
Old 09-26-2002, 05:03 PM   #29
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

SInging Singing Singing...LoL that is my life....almost....nevermind LoL

I used to be in chruch choir, but they disbanded it....if you could actually say that...and I'm not actually sure why..

But now I love to try and play songs on the guitar and piano and try and put a tune to some of Tolkiens...erm...songs/poems. I love singing, always have always will.

I actually wrote a tune that sounds pretty cool to the song Legolas sings about Nimrodel.

Anyway!!!!Fall though....anyway....Autumn is sooooo pretty in Maryland, but it hasn't really started looking like fall yet. When I lived in Scotland, it always looked like it was fall (exept in the winter.) and I would sit in the fields of a farm nearby and watch the sun go down. I always brought some bread because the chikens got hungry.

And to top it all off, lots of nights in Scotland someone or other would be on a hill nearby, playing their bagpipe, and it would just make my whole day better, no matter how...erm...gloomy.

I love autumn
Old 09-26-2002, 06:16 PM   #30
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

"From the Lone Shieling of the Misty Isle
Mountains divide us, and the waste of seas;
Yet still, the blood is strong, the heart is highland,
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides."

...and I've never even been there yet. Someday I'll go. Every rain, every fog reminds me of the windswept moors and mountains. Aylwen, I envy you that you lived there.

Singing, piano, guitar, church choirs, and tunes for The Lay of Nimrodel? We are sisters, I think. Have you put any of your tunes on paper? I'd be interested in your tune for Nimrodel! I've used: "Jock o' Hazeldean" and it works well; try "The Lea Rig" with Aragorn's song about Luthien and Beren!

I'm headed for Maryland this weekend, my sisters and I will probably sing more than one scottish song (and maybe a LOTR song) before we are thru. Mary taught me to play guitar, and then I began to teach Kate.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:43 PM   #31
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dűm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I find myself singing some of Tolkien's poems to tunes I never heard of... oh my, getting like my Elven counterpart Khelek! Birdie, how could this be?! And I suppose I have a sea-longing still unstirred, yet when i write about it (especially for the lonely Star and Khelek [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) I feel like I would want to find the Straight Way. Maybe I'll get a ship and name it the Lonely Star and sail out to the West.

Yet for now, I am content with the autumn. I think I'll plan my trip for the exact date the Three Rings passed away for ever.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:17 PM   #32
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

Long lost sisters...LoL. Well, I've just been so into music and everything to do with the arts...and writing is another hobbie. Maryland?? What for?? No one comes to maryland that much, its not a very...well....popular state. Populated, but its very boring here. My parents were in the US navy so we moved around.

I havent gotten around to writing the music on paper, but I plan to this or next weekend, If Soccer and Karate and teaching (teaching my friend to play guitar...) allow me time to do that.

I'll try it!! I never thought of using "The Lea Rig" but thanks for the idea!

Its raining now...which I love very much because it reminds me of fall in Britain, we never wore shorts there...well nevermind, thats to be expected. But I was all pretty and nice in my soccer uniform for pictures but then they canceled them because of rain.

But all in all, Im glad its autumn...
Old 09-26-2002, 07:25 PM   #33
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Aylwen: Why Maryland? Business. Software integration and test. But the way-cool thing is that my sister's house is only a town or 3 away! Time to sing.

Writing? Whatcha been writing?

GreatWarg: My sea-longing is no longer dormant, it activates whenever I read The Grey Havens.

Singing is good. The Sea is good. Ships are good. The Straight way is good... ***sigh*** when you've found The Lonely Star, drop me a line. How are you going to celebrate the departure of the Ringbearers(Sept 29)?

[ September 26, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 09-26-2002, 09:12 PM   #34
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Ah, singing. I'm a music person, too. Singing is what I was born to do, and I'd say music is my religion. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (well, I'm quite depressed because my violin got broken)

Aylwen, I am so green with envy that you actually lived in Scotland. But I'm happy that you had such an experience. I wish I'll get to visit Scotland in a few years.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2002, 09:27 PM   #35
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Nef, what happened to your violin???

I grieve with you. May it swiftly return to your hands and make music again.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:37 AM   #36
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

*sniff* I can't even bear to opne un the case and look at it... When i opened it one afternoon, I found the end part of the finger board right ontop of the vioin's body, when it's supposed to be above it. When I looked closer, I found out that the two pieces of wood that hold the finger board and neck together are apart. (my violin terminology is screwed: I used to play the viola, and that was four years ago, so I hope you get the picture)

...I'd do anything to play "Concerning the Hobbits" again [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Oh well, at least I can sing.

Thank you for grieving with me, Mark. I shall play again!
Old 09-28-2002, 06:44 PM   #37
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Nef, you released the strings, right? That's happened to two other violins that I know of. Dd the glue harden and powderize?

Loosen the strings right away if you haven't already. Then get it to a repair expert for some TLC. Poor thing!!! You and the violin both!

I was just reading about Dairon the flute player, in Lays of Beleriand. He played for Luthien. Melody R Us.

Keep singing!
Old 09-28-2002, 07:02 PM   #38
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Autumn makes me want to be in the shire. Or in Lorien when the leaves turn gold. Oh, now you people got me wanting to leave earth again. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Oh well. I guess I can always dream. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 07:48 AM   #39
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dűm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The import of Autumn...

I wake up at 5:30 am on a Monday and venture into the bathroom, trying to wake up. At 7:45 I am locking the door to my dorm room, my backpack weighing down on my shoulders and hair still damp from a shower, still trying to wake up. I approach the side door and push it open, and suddenly I am awake as the frigid air reminds me that, even in the middle of Texas, summer cannot last forever. I grumble mentally and hurry toward my first class, remembering that being a college student is not all fun and games and that the ten to fifteen minute walks across campus are going to be less than pleasant for a while...time to dig out the sweaters again! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2002, 08:51 AM   #40
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Helen,

*coughs*

Quote:
but I never equated Frodo's and Bilbo's birthday with the equinox and the beginning of fall.
That's what the Picnic at the Bonfire Glade is about. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Preparing for the darkness ahead.

Bethberry