The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-08-2002, 08:52 PM   #1
Dior
Wight

Dior has just left Hobbiton.
Ring The Dark Years

During the second age, where were the North-Men, later the Rohirrim, and what were they doing?
Old 04-08-2002, 10:14 PM   #2
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

Without book to guide me I give you the low down as I recall it.

They were in the north of Rhovanion. For most of the time they were just kicking back, relaxing, trying to make a living like the next guy. Then along came this dragon, Scatha, but Fram slew him(I think it was Fram) then later on Cirion, a Gondorian King needed help and sent messengers to the people who would later become the Rohirrim and Eorl, their leader at that time, came to the rescue and they ended up living in Rohan.

Bare in mind most of this is in the Third Age, infact it might all be Third Age. But the important thing is that nothing really important happened to them during the Second Age. Sauron was all busy being Annatar and later battling Elves and Numenoreans. Maybe he thought the Northmen would be easy to defeat once he got rid of those pesky Elves and Numenoreans.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 12:51 PM   #3
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Quote:
But the important thing is that nothing really important happened to them during the Second Age.
Just to be contrary, but we don't know that nothing important happened to them in the Second Age. Sauron may have been trying to conquer them, and them being unlettered hicks had no means of recording their experiences. Of course they would probably retain oral traditions of this conflict, but all peoples have tales of, "Back in the pastant dist when WE battled the great evil" and such legends are hard to pin down.

Of course, you're probably right.

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: Kuruharan ]
Old 04-10-2002, 11:47 AM   #4
Dior
Wight

Dior has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ok, I guess I can go along with "he(Sauron) was trying to conquer them" but I thought I read that everything in Middle Earth except for Gil-Galad and the Numenorean havens was under him.