The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-25-2005, 05:22 PM   #441
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Guys, I am an innocent villager. Of this you may all be sure- I give you leave to do that!

So, as I cast my vote in accordance with the wisdom of our glorious hunter-leader, Saucepan Man, I can't help but wonder if Gurthang would've been the right guy to lynch on day 1. Or maybe Menel or dancing spawn are just resigned to their fate! As my vote-winner said, c'est la vie!

++ dancing spawn of ungoliant

p.s.- this is pretty hit or miss, but I think dancing spawn's the bear- the "c'est la vie" has convinced me.

Last edited by SamwiseGamgee; 08-25-2005 at 05:23 PM. Reason: My own indwelling stupidity
SamwiseGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:08 AM   #442
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Question

Where is Gurthang, I wonder? There may be good reason for his delay, but it seems suspicious to me.

As matters stand, Menel and I will survive. If Menel is the Bear then, if it stays like that, he will prevail. But Gurthang will surely wish to prevent that if he is innocent. On the other hand, if Gurthang is the Bear, he will die in any event if matters stay as they are.

If Gurthang has not voted for Menel by shortly before the end of the Day, then I shall be forced to do so. I shall give advanced warning to avoid any danger of cross-posting.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:33 AM   #443
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Oh dear, this isn't looking too good. Best of luck to you, SpM, I hope you time it right. *bites fingernails*
Old 08-26-2005, 05:44 AM   #444
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

I hereby give notice that I shall vote for Meneltarmacil 10 minutes from now.

Gurthang - if you are innocent, do not vote for Meneltarmacil unless you have already done so by the time you read this message.

Fellow innocent Villagers - if Gurthang votes for Meneltarmacil having had opportunity to heed this warning, he is the Bear. No doubt, he hoped to cross-vote with me, survive one more Day and try to pass it off as an innocent mistake.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:55 AM   #445
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Eye

On second thoughts, if I vote for Menel and Gurthang is the Bear, he will vote for me, thus ensuring a total bloodbath.

I have no option. Let’s finish this now!

++ GURTHANG

If I am wrong in this, I will no doubt die to-Night and you will have to choose wisely to-Morrow.

If I am right, then all but the Bear will survive.

Oo-er!
Old 08-26-2005, 05:55 AM   #446
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
I just couldn't bear it.

Quote:
Originally posted by SamwiseGamgee
this is pretty hit or miss, but I think dancing spawn's the bear
Quote:
Originally posted by The Saucepan Man
I agree that Menel and Samwise Gamgee are the likeliest candidates.
Quote:
Originally posted by Boromir88
Gurthang- Not too worried about him, as he did bring up the double-lynching idea.
Hidden 'til the end; little good it did me though.

Allow me to explain myself. So that in your dying breathes you may know why this has befallen you all.

I was able to hide my hideous secret for a very long time. Long before I lived in this village, I've been cursed to walk the night as a bear. I tried to do no harm to anyone, and always thought of it as a curse. Yet I watched you constantly harass and even kill harmless creatures, who I felt were my sole duty to protect. But there were too many of you, and many of my little friends died. I was almost to the end of my rope, but then the last straw came. The wolves caused you to push me over the edge.

On that fateful night, when those ferocious wolves came into our peaceful village, it was all too clear what I had to do. I was revealed for not watching my step(I still feel bad about that chicken), and I knew that I was in grave danger, as well as the wolves I felt I should be defending. So I suggested trying to end the situation peacefully, and you almost lynched me for it! That is when I decided to eradicate this village. It became my new responsibility to insure that none of you could ever harm animals again. So I took my 'curse' and used it against you. Aided by those bumbling wolves, I intended to finish off this cursed little town.

Yet above all, I curse you Saucepan Man. You mercilous, malevelant, murderous Hunter! It brings me great regret that I will not see your death before this all has ended. I should have killed you at the beginning, yet I felt compelled to keep you around to defend me. Even as of yesterday, I had hope to acheive my objective, yet your choice of not Hunting bereft me of that last possibility. In the end it has meant my death.

++Samwise Gamgee

And so it comes down to this. With this vote, I will have accomplished my goal except three. And to those of you who survive, I say go and spread the word. Wherever creatures are persecuted, wherever they are unloved, wherever they are killed, remember: WereBears walk the night!

So now I say come at me. I will take one of you to death with me. Let's end this!

Last edited by Gurthang; 08-26-2005 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Because I had posted the wrong ending. Had to change to good one. Only for theatrics; still lost though.
Gurthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:04 AM   #447
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Eye

Foul words from a foul beast of the Night.

Yet I salute you. You offered fine sport.

I am sorry Samwise that you must die too as we once and for all lay this wretched creature to rest.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:06 AM   #448
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Dun dun dunnn!

Two villagers would die today. SamGam and Gurth had attracted two votes each.

"Wait a minute," they wondered. "Why do we have to kill Sam if Gurthang has already confessed?"

"The Votes have to be upheld, otherwise people could go lynched and unlynched willy-nilly," explained SpM.

"Gosh, you seem to be awfully gleeful."

"Enough!" roared Gurthang. "I can't stand it anymore!" And with another roar, he changed shape! He became larger than any bear they had ever heard tell of, and also a tad hairier than they were sure was usual.

He ripped the head off of SamGam, and then turned towards The Hunter Man.

"You!" he boomed, and then charged.

SpM waited until he was almost too close for comfort, and then shot one arrow through the bear's eye.

Then he had to leap out of the way, because even a dead bear once in motion doesn't stop until it hits a solid object, which in this case turned out to be the mountain face.

The Villagers started to rejoice, but then paused. What was that rumbling?

Then a crack appeared in the mountain. With screams of terror, they threw themselves down the slope of the valley, fairly flying over the snow-encrusted fields in their fury.

Wonder of wonders, they outflew an avalanche. But Hamlet was lost forever.

"Ah well!" they said. "There will be other Villages!"

VILLAGERS WIN!

(Oddwen finally gets it right!)

Last edited by Oddwen; 08-26-2005 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Count the votes, bucko girl *blushes furiously*...and count them well!! AII! No!!
Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:19 AM   #449
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Well, I must say I played that rather poorly. Mainly my descision to leave Saucepan and Boromir alive so long. Saucepan, I must say that was a fantastice game you just played.

See I had it all worked out; there were three possibilities right there at the end.

1) Sauce votes me- I expected him to notice that Menel had voted with the set plan where I had yet to do, thus pointing him out as innocent. Knowing this, I was still planning on getting up very early in a vain hope to tie.

2) Sauce votes Menel- I was very happy when I saw that this is what Saucepan said he would do. It meant I could vote him and at least get a stalemate. (That is why I had to edit the ending. I was waiting with my 'stalemate' one ready to go, and I just posted it as soon as I saw that he had voted. I apologize, especially to Oddwen. Sorry. )

3)Sauce doesn't vote- This one, I didn't see happening really. I still had an ending prepared. I would have voted Saucepan and at least seen him die before the end. (I'm kinda mad that SamwiseGamgee didn't die in that finale! Maybe he will, I think Oddy's writing.) That would still leave Menel for a villager victory.

But alas, our beloved Sauce realized the possibilities nigh to the end, and saved the village. Congratulations to all on a great game! I've really enjoyed my first, and being the first Werebear at that!
Old 08-26-2005, 06:30 AM   #450
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Congratulations, all, to a game well-played! Especially to Gurth and SpM, sorry Gurth, I really wanted to see you win.

(Apologies for that last post...I read "Saucepan Man" instead of "Samwise Gamgee" and it escalated from there)

Hmm, one thing I would change in the future would be the Cobbler. This role shouldn't be allowed to outlive the Wolves.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:31 AM   #451
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Maybe he will, I think Oddy's writing.
Oh I do hope so. I have been looking forward to the grand finale ...

EDIT: 'Tis done. Thanks Oddie, and thank you also for a great job of moderating. Apologies for my interminably lengthy discourses on who I should Hunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
Saucepan, I must say that was a fantastice game you just played.
Kind words, but rather over-stating the case, I fear. Were it not for me, CaptainofDespair and Nonnacedak might well have survived being lynched. I think that Durelin got it just about right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
SaucepanMan says too much, and really has no idea what he's doing.
And now, at last, I can use it in my sig, as I have been wanting to do so for the past week or so.

Quote:
But alas, our beloved Sauce realized the possibilities nigh to the end ...
That was a very close run thing. I ran through all the possibilities and options in my head last Night, in case you did not show up to vote until the end. But that one eluded me until the very last moment ...

I am glad that it did not come down to a mass lynching in the end. I am not a fan of the tactic. But I am very competitive, and so could not turn up what was in this game a valid stratagem.

More thoughts later.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 08-26-2005 at 06:42 AM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:34 AM   #452
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Thumbs up Not all who say "c'est la vie" are bears

Hooray! I was already prepared to die but surviving is just much more fun. For a moment I thought that we were all doomed but all's well that ends well or something like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy
I am glad that it did not come down to a mass lynching in the end. I am not a fan of the tactic.
Yeah, me neither.

Now, let's build a bar and go celebrating!

Thanks everyone, this was a really enjoyable game!
Old 08-26-2005, 06:52 AM   #453
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Quote:
Originally posted by Oddwen
Hmm, one thing I would change in the future would be the Cobbler. This role shouldn't be allowed to outlive the Wolves.
Or perhaps you should say that the Cobbler is for the wolves, but also against the village, so that they can still be on the Bear's team if it comes down to that. I have to admit, Durelin's coming into the open spawned a chain of confession that really sealed my fate.

Quote:
Originally posted by Durelin
SaucepanMan says too much, and really has no idea what he's doing
Maybe, but you know who did have it right? Firefoot, way back on Day 2!

Quote:
Originally posted by Firefoot (post #182)
Slightly random aside - I just started thinking again about why a bear would kill Alcarillo. Alcarillo only ever really indicated two other people besides Mithalwen to be suspicious - Gurthang and LMP (who he thinks is suspicious just for the early vote). His posts #48 and #60 are of note. Post #48 he decides Gurthang is pretty suspicious, then in #60 he changes his mind. Perhaps Gurthang is the were-bear? I'm not particularly convinced, but it's food for thought.
She deserves a lot of credit for figuring that out so early.(Well, at least saying she figured it out. ) I knew I couldn't kill her or it would be obvious, but I didn't have to worry, the wolves did it for me! Lucky!

By the way, does anyone else find it ironic that this game lasted almost three weeks and then came down to a single descision in the last five minutes!

Last edited by Gurthang; 08-26-2005 at 06:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Gurthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:17 AM   #454
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Well, it seems that the wolves' voting for you on the first Day led us to not suspect you for almost the whole rest of the game, Gurthang. Since we thought you were an innocent wolf victim, we didn't pay you a lot of attention when we were going after the Bear and as a result, you would have won if it hadn't been for our good Saucepan Man and his plan. Congratulations for surviving this long.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:36 AM   #455
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
A well played and well modded game to all. It's still enjoyable to watch from the sidelines, but it is , of course, much better to play the whole thing through. Hopefully I haven't taken over Eomer cursed position for dying on the first day.

I think Boromir deserves a lot of credit too. He survived fairly long and when he saw that it was probable that he would die he sacrificed himself so as to pass on the information he had to the village.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:12 AM   #456
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand Further thoughts

First, a rather embarassing statistic:

Quote:
Who Posted?
Total Posts: 455

User Name Posts
The Saucepan Man 77
Boromir88 39
dancing spawn of ungoliant 38
Gurthang 35
Meneltarmacil 34
SamwiseGamgee 32
Lalaith 30
Durelin 23
littlemanpoet 22
Oddwen 18
Nonnacedak 17
arcticstorm 14
Laitaine 13
wilwarin538 11
Firefoot 10
CaptainofDespair 9
Gil-Galad 8
Mithalwen 8
mormegil 6
Alcarillo 6
Encaitare 4
Shelob 1
I fear that rather substantiates Durelin's statement.

I am way too competitive. I have pages and pages of notes and spent far too long pondering over who to vote for during the Day and who to Hunt at Night. As Oddie can testify, I generally bored her silly with my theorising when PM'ing her with my Nightly Hunting targets.

My Hunt "victims" were as follows:

Night 2 - Alcarillo (I think - I didn't keep the PM)
Night 3 - Gil-Galad
Night 4 - dancing spawn of ungoliant
Night 5 - Laitaine
Night 6 - Meneltarmacil
Night 7 - SamwiseGamgee
Night 8 - No Hunter target

So, I didn't do too badly with the picking the Wolves (and neither did the Village generally), but I was hopless at spotting the Bear. Gurthang was very low down my suspect list until the very last Day, although I had him down as the Cobbler at one point.

I started dropping off hints that I was the Hunter right from the beginning (although they largely seem to have gone unnoted - I thought I was being too unsubtle). As the game progressed, I became convinced that the Werebeasts had picked up on my hints (which was not my original intention), largely due to my continued survival. I therfore tried to use this against them by naming my main suspects at the end of each Day. If I survived the Night, this would then strengthen my belief in their guilt. This worked, to an extent, with the Wolves (although I really should have stuck to my original instinct with Gil-Galad ). But it failed to flush out the Bear, largely because (after Day 1) Gurthang did very little to arouse suspicion.

It meant that I could not protect the Seer as much as I would have liked, but Boromir88 did a pretty good job of concealing himself. And I agree that his noble self-sacrifice went a long way towards securing the Villagers' victory. Although, I did manage to nearly blow it at the end!

I actually like the way that the Cobbler role worked out. Durelin became a bit of a wild card once the Wolves were all dead - her revelation of her role (albeit ambiguous) did help the Village, but it also meant that we had to "waste" a Day lynching her. It would, however, had helped very little without some known innocents being around. And had she been on the Werebear's side following the Wolves' demise, it would have made Gurthang almost impossible to track down. I think that, once the Wolves all die, it is fair to allow the Cobbler to decide how to play it.

The Black Beorning was a great addition. As it turned out, this more or less divided the game into two parts, which worked very well. Before we began, I feared that the Beorning would have little chance of winning. But, played well (as Gurthang did), he is very difficult to spot with any degree of confidence. Basically, he can vote and kill almost with impunity and without leaving much of a trail.

All in all, it was a great game. I really enjoyed it, and so my thanks go to all involved - and most particularly Oddwen for a great job mod(wen)ing and for some extremely entertaining "death" scenes. I was quite chuffed to be the one to light Gil-Galad's pyre, even though I did not vote for him.

PS Still loving littlemanpoet's "rant".
Old 08-26-2005, 08:33 AM   #457
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That's the most fun I've had in a long while!

And sorry, Gurthang...but when The Suiceman Pan (hehe) pinned me like that, I had to go down with at least a little bit of my honor left. Besides, you helped kill my wolves.

Thank you all for such a great game (except maybe you wolves, *cough*...)! Thank you especially to Saucie for being such fun, especially as the taker of most of my pointless abuse.

Thank you to CaptainofDespair who really made my lengthy survival possible. I knew they'd lynch you anyway.

A thousand thanks to Oddwen Moddwen for putting up with us all.

Oh, and thanks to Morm and Saucie for giving me another green box! *rejoices* I doubt my deserving of it, but it is quite pretty.

And...I gave myself away quite early in the game, actually. And not just by my behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me, Randomly...
And just as a note, remember that cats don't wear shoes.
EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Uber Moddwen
Wha?! Noooooooooo!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 08:46 AM   #458
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand Concerning mass lynchings

I must say that I agree with those who have expressed elsewhere some dissatisfaction with the scope for mass lynchings. I was hesitant to suggest it, and even considered going back on the plan on the last Day. But I wanted to win and so opted for what I saw as a legitimate and seemingly effective plan.

As it happened, we did not end up with a mass lynching and, had I followed the plan through as I intially thought I should, it would have spelled disaster for the Village. But it is nevertheless true that, had the plan not been devised and then, for the most part, put into effect, Gurthang would probably have won. Menel and Samwise would probably have been the final Days' lynchees.

I have no objection to multiple/mass lynchings being banned in a game if that is what the moderator or players prefer. This could easily be done either by allowing retractable votes (which would make a planned mass lynching impracticable) or by simply having a rule that, in the event of a tie in the lynch vote, one Villager will be picked at random.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:08 AM   #459
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nice playing, everyone! Sauce, I'm glad you weren't the bear like everyone said... your lists were just too helpful to lose by lynching you.

I feel kind of smart, because I caught the "seereally" clue... of course, I was dead by then, so not much I could do.

Great job modding, Odderator!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:43 AM   #460
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

One thing I'm still kicking myself for was that 'seereally' clue. I saw it and thought 'Hey, maybe that's the Seer'. But somewhere in the course of reading or thinking it slipped my mind. Blast me and my forgetfullness!

As far as that mass lynching goes, I first suggested it to try to pass off as innocent. Unfortunately you guys called my 'bluff', if you could even call it that, and decided to do it. I thought maybe I could tweak it so that I could still survive, or at least get a tie, but there were too many people left. *sigh*

Still, that was a fun game, especially being my first. And I must say that adding the Bear really spices things up a bit. Considering this would have been over by Day 4 if we didn't have the extra Were. Which I was serious when I was congratulating the villagers for killing all the wolves so quickly. That was mighty impressive.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:44 AM   #461
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Good game everyone! I enjoyed watching it. Gurthang was tremendous at keeping under the radar, and Hear Ye, Hear Ye!, Menel's posts were highly entertaining.

I get the feeling that, after past disappointments, Sauce was adamant that he would win this game; he really took charge of the village. And I suppose that he was ever so glad to finally get a special role.

Great comic deaths, Oddwen.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:46 AM   #462
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question

Quote:
Which I was serious when I was congratulating the villagers for killing all the wolves so quickly. That was mighty impressive.
As the Bear, would you rather that they had stayed around for longer? I suppose that it would have increased your chances, but they might well have targetted you over-Night.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:54 AM   #463
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer
I get the feeling that, after past disappointments, Sauce was adamant that he would win this game; he really took charge of the village. And I suppose that he was ever so glad to finally get a special role.
I was overjoyed when I was assigned the Hunter role. It has a lot of scope, beyond just the "one free shot" when lynched or attacked.

My main aim at the outset was to avoid attracting too much suspicion and therefore being lynched. That was what happened in the last game that I played, because I was instrumental in lynching the Seer on Day 1 and then another innocent on Day 2. Once an innocent Villager is under sustained suspicion, it is very difficult to have much of an influence over what happens and I wanted to be very much involved in this game.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:56 AM   #464
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

The strange thing about that, Saucepan, is that I was for some reason really afraid that they would kill me that exact Night. I don't know why, but I just had a feeling the wolf(Laitaine) was going to kill me. I was rather releived to have that fear gone. I guess a couple more nights of two kills would have helped me, but I think I was just as afraid about surviving the night as most of the villagers!

Another note; about that first day. Long before I knew I was going to be the Bear, I had decided on the whole animal rights activist thing. I had planned to get up very early and put in my little 'speech' before anyone else could post. Then when I was told I was the Bear, I almost backed out of the plan. Yet I had already told everyone my occupation, so I did it anyway. And it actually worked for good. Not only did it buy me a lot of time(acting suspicious + convincing of innocence = no more suspicion for a long time), but it actually flushed out a Wolf!

I was afraid at first that you were all going to lynch me. What a great first Bear that would have been: Lynched on Day 1!
Old 08-26-2005, 10:00 AM   #465
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Funnest game I've played yet, and to think I almost missed it. At first I was extremely frustrated not to be believed by anyone, just about everybody reading duplicity into my words. After I ranted, I began to see that it could be used to my (and the village's) advantage. But even then I didn't play very well.

Concerning mass lynchings, maybe this sports analogy helps explain my view. Think of the old days of Bobby Knight's Indiana Hoosiers college basketball team. The game might be incredibly close, but the two guards, with five minutes left to play, would just dribble the ball and pass back and forth between each other until the opponents' frustration mounted and one of the guards got fouled. To the foul line, and back in play until the guards do it again. Or some teams actually put up with the frustration because their coaches would discipline them if they didn't, and finally in the last 15 seconds, they'd make a desperation foul, sending the Hoosiers to the line, and game on a knife-edge, but the Hoosiers were incredible foul shooters because ol' Bobby banked on this strategy game in and game out. Finally the NCAA established the 25 second rule, ending Bobby's incredible win streak. Bobby's ploy stopped the game from being good basketball and instead became the Bobby Knight show. Nobody liked it except for the state of Indiana.

So if you have a mass lynching plan in this game, you've ALMOST guaranteed your win, but you've curtailed the spirit of the game. That's my problem with it.

Multiple lynchings (like 2 maybe 3) I don't like much better, for the same reasons.

Consider this: if this really happened, the village's primary concern would be saving as many lives as reasonably possible. Lynching more than one victim a day would go against that. Yes, one might argue that getting the werebeast is worth the price of multiple lives, because then the evil has been destroyed, but this should still be done with great trepidation, and I think that a moderator, if allowing multiple lynchings, should have some kind of consequence built into the game, with more teeth than "a boring death".

Menel, I thought for sure you were the werebear right up until Gurthang admitted it.

Hmmmm.... so I did get something right after all, but wouldn't you figure it'd be by mistake!
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:08 AM   #466
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Eye

I sympathise with your view, LMP, but, as far as I am concerned, if it's legal then its available. As I stated earlier, if it is felt to be undesirable, then it can be prevented by a few simple rule changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP
Consider this: if this really happened, the village's primary concern would be saving as many lives as reasonably possible. Lynching more than one victim a day would go against that.
I think that it can be viewed as credible if one looks at the wider picture - the Villagers are sacrificing themselves to prevent the Werecreature moving on to another Village. Thus, more lives are saved in the long run. Remember, the Hunter is the sworn enemy of these beasts, so it is fitting that he would want to prevent them escaping to cause further harm, even at the cost of the remaining Villagers' lives.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:36 AM   #467
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
I have no objection to multiple/mass lynchings being banned in a game if that is what the moderator or players prefer. This could easily be done either by allowing retractable votes (which would make a planned mass lynching impracticable) or by simply having a rule that, in the event of a tie in the lynch vote, one Villager will be picked at random.

I find that it would add a little more strategy to the game if for ties no one was lynched.

I would like to congratualte everyone for a great game played. I was dissappointed about the last day's lynching strategy, pretty much causing the wear things to acheive their goal by killing everyone, but I am glad that it only came down to two deaths.

If I recall correctly, right before I revealed myself, LMP thought I was too quiet. I wanted to give him a defense that was ooc to let him notice that I have been a member for 1 year now, and just recently got to 100 posts, at the time I still hadn't. And I wanted to point out that it took me over a month or two to even get 1 post, even though I was on the downs daily for an hour or two after school and another hour and a half at 9:00 every night.

All of the villagers, including LMP, played a great game. I do not see why you say you didn't. hence the reason for my emphasis of your name. And Gurthang, after I was lynched, this may be a little bad to say, being a sherriff and all, I was rooting for the bear even though I had no clue who he/she might be.
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:17 PM   #468
Laitaine
Pile O'Bones

Laitaine has just left Hobbiton.
Well played, all. I must say this was one really, really fun game. Even when I was killed, it was still fun to watch. Gurthang, I honestly had no idea that you were the werebear. I too thought you were just one of us wolves' innocent victims :-D

This was also the most mentally challenging thing I've ever done. Not only was I trying to figure out who was who, but I was also trying to do it in rhyme! This game has actually helped me to think on my feet, when it comes to poetry. I can write verse fairly quickly now, which is kind of fun. :-)

Saucepan Man, well played. I picked up that you were the Hunter maybe on Day 3 and of course, was afraid to kill you. I certainly wanted to take you out because you are one really, REALLY clever player, but since you accused so many people (myself and Gil included), I was afraid to kill you should I be your choice for the Hunting. That was my downfall--allowing you to live. Don't you feel special. :-D

I was almost positive LMP was the Cobbler until, of course, he died. You defended me quite a bit, my fellow poet! I was sure you had figured it out and were trying to protect me. :-D Durelin, did you know who the wolves were or did you have no clue at all?

Well, I hope you all enjoyed the poetry *shakes head, laughing* It may be a long time before I ever try to take on such a difficult task again. I hope it was amusing, at the very least. Thanks to all who gave me reputation points!
Old 08-26-2005, 12:39 PM   #469
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Arcticstorm, my comment about your being quiet was strictly in terms of gameplay, and compared to others (like <ahem> SPM . I thought you played a great game, and made a noble sacrifice, although I did think that you fessed up your role a bit quicker than you needed to; after all, you did have defenders who were accusing me because I accused you. Now, didn't that make me feel frustrated!

Laitaine, I must admit that I played this game (despite others' kind words to the contrary) with my heart instead of my head. Compare my rabidness in this game to, say, IV, when I was a werewolf. Just ask Feanor of the Peredhilhow reasonable I was in that one! She actually called me out to show some emotion! So I defended you because you were a poet, and I really meant it. Cobbler! I hated that role before this game; now I love it. Once I quit being so "freakin' frustrated" over being suspected by everything by everybody (LOL), I really got a kick out of it. I am indeed most impressed that you kept up the versing while a werewolf. I couldn't pull that off..... and I was only shooting for doggerel!

Hamlet is lost beneath molten ashes,
leaving no sign of lycanthropic disaster;
may wizards be found who can magically master
the werewolvish scourge and Beorning slashes.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:31 PM   #470
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laitaine
Durelin, did you know who the wolves were or did you have no clue at all?
I admit that I really had no idea! I just didn't try too hard to get anyone lynched.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 01:41 PM   #471
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Gurthang my friend, it was a good job you killed me when you did, as not only did it save our Seer for another night - it turned out the internet access at my hotel was fairly limited and I'd have had a hard time participating as fully as I'd have liked.
And LMP, I'm sorry I kept accusing you of being the Cobbler. I was absolutely convinced, it all fitted together so well...but your rant is even funnier, albeit pathos-ridden, now that I know you were telling the truth.
Well played everyone - cigars all round!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:31 PM   #472
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

It was a very well played game to everyone.

Despite your loss Gurthang, I think you played the role well, there just wasn't much you could have done at the end. After Day 1 everyone just really assumed you were in character and were innocent. Well played, but with the nice plan Saucepan came up with, it pretty much assured your loss. Still a well played game.

mormegil, thank you for the compliments.

Well my dreams went like this...The thing is it seemed like anybody I dreamed of that night who was innocent, ended up dying that night, so it never really benefitted me or the village at all...except SpM that is.

Night 1- mormegil, more of just a random pick and my small accusation of him during the day I never saw as progressing much.

Night 2- Saucepan, I too got concerned as I saw him sort of taking control, just wanted to make sure what side he was on. Now, I wish I wouldn't have wasted that night, as I can see he left plenty of clues for his innocence, and the "Lets hunt some bear" that he was definitely the hunter. Well played Mr. SpM

Night 3- Gil-galad, if you notice the following day that was the only time I really made a suspect list. Because I had found Gil-galad that night to be a wolf. Though I did start pinning people down to certain roles towards the end of the game, in the beginning I did not want to list suspects just in case if I would die, because for the first couple days I was not on to anything and did not want to lead people astray. Then I found of Gil-galad's treachery, hence the first time making the suspect list.

Night 4- Wilwarin, sadly she died that night, so again didn't benefit anything.

Night 5- Nonnacedak, tried to save his life as he was going under suspicion, but I didn't want to draw too much attention to me as it could reveal who I was.

Night 6- Durelin, this night I contemplated between Durelin and Gurthang, and wish I chose my second choice. As Durelin was the Cobbler, and Gurthang was the true one we were going for.

Night 7- Meneltarmacil, he was really the most suspicious as again Gurthang managed to just pass through my dream again. He always seemed to sort of slip under, even after I began suspecting him again. Sorry I doubted you Menel.

It's glad to see the village has won, there are a few things I would try to do differently but overall I was pleased with the way I played my first wolf game. I wish I would have went with my earliest suspicions going into night 5 on Gurthang, but decided to choose Durelin, luckily this mistake did not cost the death of the village.

Again, well played to all.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:39 PM   #473
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
One thing that I have wanted to know for a while now is why did the wolves kill me? It would be great to hear from the wolves on their thoughts and conversations.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:40 PM   #474
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Actually, Lalaith, I misread LMP posts and thought that you were the Seer! When I found that you weren't, I was kinda mad at him; I think that's part of why I chose him next. That was another bad play of mine, I should have taken out the leaders of the village: Saucepan, but maybe Boromir. Those two misled kills probably were the worst choices I made in this game. Aw, well, we all can't have a brain in our heads.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:52 PM   #475
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
i would have laughed if SauceMan was a Bear... if he was it would be a perfect cover-up
Old 08-26-2005, 03:58 PM   #476
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Thumbs up Villagers Rule!!!

That was a lot of fun. I wish I could have lived longer.*Gives Gurthang the evil eye * You all played very well.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:04 PM   #477
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Mith and Laitaine chose most of the vilalgers too kill, i chose Mormegil after Mith got lynched just for the fun of it, plus Mormegil has a history of going after me
Old 08-26-2005, 04:30 PM   #478
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Quote:
Night 7- Meneltarmacil, he was really the most suspicious as again Gurthang managed to just pass through my dream again. He always seemed to sort of slip under, even after I began suspecting him again. Sorry I doubted you Menel.
That's OK. I'll admit my actions were a little suspicious. I got lured onto the CaptainofDespair bandwagon mainly because of Saucepan's and your posts, and I did vote for people that others suspected, mainly because I had either come to the same conclusions myself (as in the case of Gil-Galad) or others' arguments were convincing enough and I was out of ideas.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:42 PM   #479
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Oddwen Moddwen I have a question. What was the point of my dying words?

Quote:
Originally posted by Moddwen
But all she said was "Tell the Mormegil that Wilwarin is here", and then she died.
Was it purely for my confusion?
Old 08-26-2005, 04:48 PM   #480
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Dying words of Finduilas....kind of....