The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2006, 07:58 AM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
'The Breath of Life'/ The Black Breath

I've been thinking about something lately, about the act of 'breathing' in Tolkien. May sound a bit wierd, but I think 'breath' has an importance in the Lord of the Rings.

In the Judeo-Christian belief, the 'breath of life' is important when it comes to actually 'living.'
Quote:
“And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.”
Quote:
“There is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty gives them understanding. ... The spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty has given me life.”
Also, the Egyptians talk about the 'breath of life.' But, slightly different the Egyptians only believe that this 'breath' is needed in the afterlife. The symbol of the Ankh being held to someone's lips is an offering of the 'breath of life' and is needed after death.

And in several Meso-american cultures, their word for life/spirit can translate to 'breath.' The Mayans use the word'ik' to mean wind, breath, or life, and for the Zapotecs it was 'pee.'

The 'breath of life' appears in several modern and ancient cultures, and I'm sure there's more that I have not been able to think of. But, let's get to the importance in LOTR.
Quote:
Galadriel’s breath is that which brings the Mirror to Life~The Mirror of Galadriel
And Aragorn:
Quote:
’Then taking two leaves, he laid them on his hands and breathed on them, and he crushed them, and straightaway a living freshness filled the room, as if the air itself awoke and tingled sparkling with joy.’~Houses of Healing
Aragorn's breath was to cure those who were stricken by the Nazgul's 'black breath'. Which gets me thinking is Aragorn and Galadriels physical action of 'breathing' their 'breath of life?' And their 'breath of life' is able to heal or actually cause 'life?' And what about the Nazgul's 'black breath...' is it a corrupted 'breath of life?'
Quote:
"Among my folk men speak mostly of the "breath" (or the "breath of life"), and they say that if it leaves the house, it may by seeing eyese be seen as a wraith, a shadowy image of the living thing that was."~HoME X, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth
The 'breath of life' can heal, and in the Mirror of Galadriel it 'lives,' but the Black breath is corrupted, and sorry for the corny...'Breath of death.'
Old 08-20-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
"Among my folk men speak mostly of the "breath" (or the "breath of life"), and they say that if it leaves the house, it may by seeing eyese be seen as a wraith, a shadowy image of the living thing that was."~HoME X, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth
Sounds like the shadow or 'wraith' that left Saruman's body after he died.

The breath of life concept makes me think of the Sandman (surprise, surprise), and maybe only a few people will get this, but I think it's worth mentioning. In The Wake, the Endless fashion a servant out of mud, and all leave their mark on it, but only when Death breathes life into it can it actually function.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe

What are words but breath ennunciated, given form and meaning by tongue and lips and teeth? The breath of life is presence, fully present and not some stamped image on a page or fleeting electrical impulse on a screen.

The Nazgul, of course, are never fully present, hence their corrupted breath.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:55 AM   #4
Annatar!
Pile O'Bones

Annatar! has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye

Eru sent into Ea the flame imperishable, the Secret Fire; the divine Life force of the world.
Metaphorically: Fire needs oxygen... oxygen implies breath. Perhaps to Tolkien breath is the sustanance of the flame imperishable in each and every one of us