The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-13-2003, 12:25 AM   #1
ericgorn

Sting What would have happened?

If the fellowship made it to Mordor unscathed, meaning to Gandalf falling in Mordor, no Boromir death, and no Pippin and Merry being captured, what would they have done once they got there? Of course this would of changed the story completely, but wondering what the nine of them would have done at the black gates.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:40 AM   #2
Elrond Jr
Pile O'Bones

Elrond Jr has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmm.... good question, except that they wouldn't make it even if everyone didn't die, etc. The whole point was that humans are totally corrupt and cannot handle to be so close to that kind of power and not try and take it. The entire fellowship would be tempted beyond belief and one of them would have taken the ring for sure. However if they weren't tempted anymore and remained together, then i doubt any force could stop them. With their fighting prowess and Gandalf's incredible power (Wizard, the most powerful of the istari, and Narya). But, Gandalf never fall at Moria then he'd never be the "White".
Old 03-13-2003, 09:34 AM   #3
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

There's an interesting thread that goes into this sort of thing here. Personally I think the other characters would have just gotten in the way, I always regarded Frodo's quest as more of a personal battle.
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 10:15 AM   #4
Eregal

Sting

Hmm good thought. I think that theanswer is a matter of fate. Gandalf tells Frodo that in the history of the ring there is more than one power at work. Behind the scenes Illuvatar had already been workiing for good. It seems that in every bad event in LOTR that good came from it. If Gandalf had not fallen he would not have become the White, and if the fellowship had not been broken then it may have been more difficult to get into Mordor. If Gandalf had gone to Mordor then the events of the War of the Ring migt have gone much worse.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:37 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

"What if..." topics usually belong on the Novices and Newcomers forum, since they ask for opinions instead of actually discussing the books. This one has been moved - please continue there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 08:23 AM   #6
Luinfang
Pile O'Bones

Luinfang has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

you could make the question in even a more basical one: what would have happend if Saurons master-teacher wouldn't have been defeated by the Valar? it is always a matter of what would have happened, but don't forget that Sauron only got his enormous powers because Morgoth had left Middle-Earth. or am I taking this to far?

navaer.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:17 PM   #7
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The book might not have been as interesting and the role of the ring would have weakened because nobody would have seen the dramatic affect its power had on other people.It was probably a better idea to have them split up. If the fellowship didn't split up the Isengard problem wouldn't have been resolved and Grima would still be poisonning the Mind of Theoden.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:02 PM   #8
Lutfiska
Haunting Spirit

Lutfiska has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The book certainly wouldnīt have been as good as it is now. And such a large company would easily been noticed by Nasgûls on the flying things(canīt remember the name).
Old 03-29-2003, 11:57 AM   #9
Niphredil Baggins
Wight

Niphredil Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lutfiska: they wore elven cloaks that made them almost invisble, I think Gandalf would have had one too or some magic of his own.

Boromir would have certainly fallen, and Aragorn would have had to kill him... or Frodo would have run away... with the ring in his finger INSIDE Mordor - very dangerous.

I think Aragorn would have remained faithful. They might still have needed Gollum, and he would have been easier to control. They could not have entered through the Black Gate, so they would have met Faramir... and Shelob! Parhaps the spider wouldn't have got Frodo (so many protectors...) but for instance Pippin... then they would all have saved him, for of course the orcs wouldn't kill him either. But there would have been no mithril coat for the orcs to start a fight about.

Legolas would have suffered somehow for the ugliness and pollution of Mordor, I think. Perhaps become sick at drinking the water.

Gimli would endure.. or not... perhaps been tempted more by the ring.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:02 AM   #10
Lutfiska
Haunting Spirit

Lutfiska has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I donīt think they would have passed through unnoticed cause it would have been a big company so they would have been noticed even thought the cloaks.. and I donīt think they would have met gollum cause he would have gotten too frightened of Legolas and gandalf for example... and even if he would have joined them he wouldnīt have shown them the way to Ungoliant cause they were too strong...