The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-24-2003, 03:08 AM   #1
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Boromir's death scene

Everyone here remembers the death of Boromir in FoTR. Now when Boromir knows his time has come he reaches for a sword and as A. gives it to him he says his last words: "I would have followed you my brother...my captain...my king!"<BR>Now what do you think, was the sword in question A.Boromir's or B.Aragorn's? And, consecutively, how should those words be interpreted? Was that Boromir's (late) oath of allegiance to Aragorn through A's sword? That's what I thought it might be but I'd gladly here some other opinions.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:53 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i thought that was Boromirs sword and he was just preparing to die like a true warrior, ie. holding his sword. but now you put it like that, i can see why it could have been aragorns sword, and boromir was using it to swear an oath to aragorn. or he was swearing it on his own sword.<BR>as for the words, im thinking he saw at that moment that aragorn was a great man, and kingly an' all, and had boromir lived, he would have served this great king. either that, or because aragorn had said that he would not let the white city fall, that was all boromir cared about and only loved aragorn because he said he'd protect it.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:33 PM   #3
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I am almost 100% sure that it is Boromir's sword.......atleast in the movie it is, and it is not mentioned in the books.. as far as I remember....

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 01:13 PM   #4
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I gotta agree. I'm almost positive it is Boromir wanting to die with his sword in his hand. Warrior thing.<P>It's kinda funny. In the commentary in the SE, there's talk that they were thinking of taking out the "my brother, my captain, my king" line. I don't understand why unless they were worried some folks might take it too literally and think, "Whaa? Aragorn and Boromir are brothers?" Actually, my Mom nudged me and asked me that when she saw the film. I'm glad they kept it. <P>H.C.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:58 PM   #5
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think it was Boromir's sword. The significance is that Boromir is a Gondorian, and Aragorn is the heir to the throne of Gondor. I think that is where the significance lies. That's why he calls Aragorn his brother, his king, his captain.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:44 PM   #6
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<A HREF="http://store.barrowdowns.com/prodimg/UC1299-Striders-ranger-swd.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Here</A> is Aragorn's Ranger Sword.<P><A HREF="http://www.quintessentialwebsites.com/lordoftherings/movieshots/swords_tn.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Here</A> is a picture of Boromir's sword before and after fighting the Uruk-Hai.<P>I can't seem to find a picture of Boromir actually holding the sword as he says his final oath, but take a look at it. It's his sword.<P>If you think about it, Gondorians are like Vikings in a way. They're proud peoples and they use circular shields. So, shouldn't they also want to die a warrior's death: with a sword in hand? Vikings believed that a warrior that died without a sword in his hand would not go to Valhalla (I think that's what it's called) so... maybe.<p>[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: Rynoah, the Overly-Happy ]
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 08:22 PM   #7
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
The Eye

Well after viewing the death scene a couple of times, i realise that the sword which Boromir asked for is actually his sword and not Aragorn`s.<BR>And the oath was on his sword. About the viking thing, you`re right Rynoah, the Overly-Happy.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:50 PM   #8
the real nazgul
Animated Skeleton

the real nazgul has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

well, think about it like this: if it was aragorns sword, then when they sail the boat (with boromir's body) over the waterfall, aragorn would not have his sword anymore, would he? (or hes very good at diving over waterfalls)<P>And the viking thing;Good idea. <p>[ February 25, 2003: Message edited by: the real nazgul ]
Old 02-25-2003, 05:08 PM   #9
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>aragorn would not have his sword anymore, would he? (or hes very good at diving over waterfalls)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Pochahontaragorn? I can just see him taking a swan dive off the Falls of Rauros. Why not? He fell off a cliff in TTT.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:40 AM   #10
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

noooo! bad images of aragorn in a dress! *screams
Old 02-26-2003, 08:49 AM   #11
Rina
Pile O'Bones

Rina has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Also, Aragorn's sword at this point is Anduril, the sword that was reforged of the Shards of Narsil. I don't think he would let it go over the falls. <BR>I believe that Boromir had his own sword and he was pledging his loyalty to Aragorn, much as the members of the Fellowship pledged to Frodo at the Council of Elrond "You have my sword....and my bow....and my ax."<BR>And I like the point about the resemblance to the Viking tradition. Very perceptive.

"God is the Lord, of angels, and of men - and of elves."
Rina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 09:24 AM   #12
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

AAAHHHHHHH!!!!! You guys are so mean to Aragorn!!!! Why can't you pick on Legolas? You'd make a lot more enemies that way.
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 12:54 PM   #13
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think it's Boromir's sword. Doesn't Aragorn drop his before he kneels down? And there's the whole "warrior's death". I think that's brough across by how Aragorn places Boromir's hand (with sword) on his chest. Aragorn wouldn't have done it based on an oath, because Aragorn didn't know Boromir was going to say it. (Well one would assume not.)<P>I think the little speech was, as well as swearing an oath to Aragorn, partly to make Boromir feel better. He'd disrespected Aragorn throughout the whole story, he'd tried to take the ring from Frodo, and now he's found out that Aragorn was able to let Frodo go. He's probably feeling a bit inferior by now, so he apologises for it all. Well, it's just how I've always looked at it.
Dark Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 03:53 PM   #14
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I can see Legolas taking a swan dive off of the Falls of Rauros too... only I see him landing in a bloody heap on a rock or something. Boy, I'm evil. <P>Rina: Thank you very much.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:42 PM   #15
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Also, Aragorn's sword at this point is Anduril, the sword that was reforged of the Shards of Narsil. I don't think he would let it go over the falls. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Although I agree with everyone saying that the sword is Boromir's, Aragorn has yet to receive the sword mentioned above in the movie. I think most of us are pretty sure Anduril will show up in RoTK though.<P>H.C.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:32 PM   #16
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

How did boromir's sword break? It was only the hilt that he was holding!!!<P>Himaran
Himaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 09:42 PM   #17
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I don't think it was broken. You only see the hilt when he is talking with Aragorn, but later he has the whole sword when his body is in the boat.<P>At least, that is how I remember it.<P>H.C.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:20 AM   #18
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yes, the sword was complete. They just didn't show it past the hilt during the death scene.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #19
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
You guys picking on 2 of my favorites!!!!! And yes it is Boromir's sword not Aragorn's.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote