The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-22-2003, 10:27 PM   #1
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Oh My!!!! It's Shelob!!! *Spoilers*, *Spoilers*

Well here is our first look at the Spideress herself. It is of the action figure. The picture is kind of small, and lacks details, but you do get an idea of her size to the size of Frodo and Sam.<P>I don't know how long this picture is going to be up before New Line finds out, but enjoy it for the time.<P>Oh and of course this picture contains major SPOILERS!!!<P><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/view/8693" TARGET=_blank>TheOneRing.net</A><p>[ September 23, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 09-22-2003, 11:12 PM   #2
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saved it on my computer, so if it's gone, I can e-mail it. <P>She looks....digusting! Ewgh! I don't know if I want to run for my life (or sword!) or become sick because of her ugliness! Yuck!<P>I'll definitely watch something light after RotK. <P>Thag you bary bunch Gorwingel. <P>Can't wait!<BR>~M<P>P.S. Oh. I thought the whole mound was her...She looks a little more bearble now. <p>[ September 23, 2003: Message edited by: Morquesse ]
Old 09-23-2003, 12:05 AM   #3
GrimaWormtounge

Sting

OH...MY...GOD...<P>Do you mean that Shelob looks like...<P>...a GIANT SPIDER??!!! What a surprise!<P>Yes people, she has eight legs and she's big and nasty looking. There's really not too many ways to design her outside of that criteria. I hope no one is actually shocked or dissapointed or enthralled at the way she appears.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:48 AM   #4
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

I doubt if I can even watch the Shelob scenes due to I'm afraid of spiders (ironic considering my name...)! Yuck! *shudders* Maybe I have to encount my fears... spiders are nice, remember? Cool pic though.

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 01-12-2006 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Sweeping party...
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 06:31 AM   #5
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Shelob in the movies will probably not look like that at all. That Shelob looks like a lead figurine like the many in my possession.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:45 AM   #6
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

Yes, samrohan, it looks like a lead wargaming figure to me too. As such, it may or may not be official. I suspect that it's not official as I doubt that New Line would allow the image to be used prior to the release of the film. Then again, I did see the Treebeard action figure in the shops last year before seeing TTT ...<P>But even if this is an indication of what she might look like in the film, I trust (and sincerely hope) that she will look infinately more "lifelike" on the screen. Those legs and the knobbly abdomen are very unconvincing. And it looks like they've given her a "humanoid" head, which I'm not sure about at all.<P>All in all, I'm still expecting much better from the film. But thanks for posting this, Gorwingel.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:13 AM   #7
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

My oh my...is that Shelob?? (My dear Shelob??)<P>This wasn't exactly what I've imagened her to be. When I read the books, I though....Well, I thought she would be different. I guess you can't expect a film to live up to all your expectations. Anyway, this was only "an action figure thingy." <P>Thanks <B>Gorwingel</B>, for setting this pic up!
Old 09-23-2003, 09:02 AM   #8
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

I hope that New Line will be able to do better than that.<BR>I mean, even the spiders in "arac attack" were more scary, and that means something. <BR>This Shelob doesn't look very convincing. PJ, I hope you read this.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:19 AM   #9
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting

I have found (though long ago) this pic of Shelob... [There used to be a link here, but it doesn't work anymore] At least it looks more realistic than the statue-like one.

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 01-12-2006 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Sweeping party...
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 09:43 AM   #10
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

If you look more into it you will find this statement:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Update! - Well, seems like we were a bit too enthusiastic there. Kudos to Ringer Spy John for noting the following: Sorry, that's the "Shelob's Lair" boxed set from Mithril Miniatures, released back in 1999 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So I guess we're back to waiting for that disgusting creature to appear. (And I better watch my mouth. After all, I played Shelob in a RPG. )
Old 09-23-2003, 09:48 AM   #11
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, I was about to say, where is the spider???<P>But hey guys, if the worst comes to the worst, we'll probably be seeing her from Sam and Frodo's height...and it'll be dark, so you won't really notice much until Shelob runs out of the tunnel...oh dear, that'll be terrifying!
Old 09-23-2003, 10:25 AM   #12
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No spider in that picture, nice spider webs though...<P>I always pictured Shelob in my mind as rather fatter than thinner. More of a Tarentula lookalike creature than a daddy long legs.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:41 AM   #13
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

Ah, well spotted Maika. The Update was not there when I posted before. Well, that's a relief. I didn't like the look of that lead figure.<P>I believe that the picture posted by dancing spawn, which has been around for some time, does show Shelob - well, some of her legs at least. It is pretty indistinct and that's the way that I hope she stays until the film is released.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> More of a Tarentula lookalike creature than a daddy long legs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I absolutely agree, samrohan. I believe that Jackson, or one of the production team, mentioned in an interview that she would be modelled on an Australian funnel-web spider (a nasty critter indeed). It was mentioned on a thread here some time ago and someone posted a picture (of a funnel-web spider that is, not Shelob). I think that it was on one of the Spoiler threads ...
Old 09-23-2003, 12:49 PM   #14
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

I was just about to post, because I had found the very same statement as you Maika. (Nicly spotted.) One minute there, I actually thought Shelob was going to look like that...
Old 09-23-2003, 06:18 PM   #15
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Well I have not been able to get to the computer since I started this post last night (school, school, school), so I didn't see that statement (it wasn't there when I started the thread). The movie one will be similar though, it is still going to be a giant, dark, scary, spider.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:52 PM   #16
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Whoa, thats freaky! but very cool! thanks for the pics ya'll!
Old 09-24-2003, 01:04 PM   #17
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dūm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I always pictured Shelob in my mind as rather fatter than thinner. More of a Tarentula lookalike creature than a daddy long legs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Totally what I pictured too. And not one of those red and white ones, the big black ones. With like eighteen beady eyes. And lots and lots of bristly hair.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 02:23 PM   #18
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Funny, I always pictured Shelob as more of a Black Widow, but not black - an Albino Widow I guess, with a huge, translucent abdomen that you can see the fluids sloshing around inside of.<P>Mmmmm.<P>H.C.