The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > The New Silmarillion > Translations from the Elvish - Public Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #33
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
VE-13.045 As you have already guested this change was based on our working assumption that there existed only 3 to 7 Balrogs (see the famous thread Bye Bye Balrogs). After the Fall of Gondolin were Gothmog and the Balrog of Glorfindel were killed, we have to assume that in the War of Wrath only 1 to 5 Balrogs fought. We know for sure that 1 fled and hid himself under the mountains of Moria. Leaving none to 4 Barlogs to utterly destroyed or as well to hid themselves. We tried to keep the possibilities open by saying that they were destroyed if they did not hid themself. But as at seems we did not make it correctly. Please advise if how we can better this passage, without specifying any numbers of Balrog slain or hid away.

Eredlindon: You are right that we have to introduce a change. But the hyphen is not correct. I think we should add to the general changes:
{Eredlindon}[Ered Lindon] per Sil77. It also corosponds to the spelling in LotR (see e.g. Ered Nimrais).

Introducing this I found also:
{Eredwethion}[Ered Wethrin] per Sil77.

Posted by ArcusCalion:
Quote:
In the later myths this geographical place was called Lindon, ...
Can you give us a source for that?

Posted by ArcusCalion:
Quote:
I seemed to remember that in MT there's a footnote about the seeming inaccuracy of this statement in terms of even the flat earth cosmology. Tolkien remarks that it undoubtedly arises from the recording discrepancies of the Mannish scholars. I cannot at present find the quote, but would it be a good idea to include that as a footnote?
I don't think a foot note is the right way here, but an inclusion could be possible. Please provide the quote.

Respecfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote