The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2005, 09:52 AM   #81
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Strangely enough, when I re-read this passage recently, I found it rather offensive. Or rather, it suggested a failing in Lindir's nature (and perhaps Elvish nature in general) which I found dislikeable rather than humorous.
Actually I've always viewed this exchange as harmless banter between two friends. In light of the knowledge that we have of the true respect that the elves had for Bilbo in Rivendell; it simply seems to me how I would treat a close friend of mine if I wanted to give him a good ribbing. Lindir knew that a good avenue of jest to Bilbo would have been his poetry and song, something that while he took serious, he knew Bilbo wouldn't take personal offense at it.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:43 PM   #82
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Bethberry -

My apologies. The last thing on my mind was criticizing anyone.

As I read your comments about length of post, I was heartily chuckling since I am someone who is eternally guilty of never preferring one word when two will do the trick. I was taking a gentle poke at my own bad habits while smiling at your request. (I'd just come from the party thread where part of my character's personna was good naturedly exposing her own foibles.)

A good topic. Wish I had time to say more. My life has been too hectic to do anything other than simply stay abreast in the Shire.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.....

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 05-03-2005 at 01:57 PM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:30 PM   #83
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Very possibly I'm in the minority. But I found the Gimli of the books, Galadriel's courtly knight, hilarious, while being articulate and moving. His interaction with Eomer was among the highlights of the books for me. The contrast between his extreme charm and his gruff exterior was in itself far funnier than all the gaseous activity in the world. Perhaps it would have been harder to milk that Jackson's belch jokes. But I would have made much of his pride and prejudice before Lothlorien, used Galadriel's effect on him for tragicomic purposes, and thereafter used him as a proper verbal, as well as physical, foil to Legolas.

All in all, melancholy probably doesn't sell tickets like roistering comedy, but I was saddened by the scarcity of the sadder elements; Legolas' seagull experience being dropped altogether and Gimli's Galadriel experience only alluded to in the EE. These events are the focal points of the Elf and Dwarf, and their characters were threadbare without them, it seemed to me. (Though Gimli got off better than Legolas by virtue of being at least well-acted...Orlando wouldn't know melancholy if it challenged him to a skating contest.)
Old 05-03-2005, 02:41 PM   #84
Amrod the Hunter
Haunting Spirit

Amrod the Hunter has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Amrod the Hunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Very possibly I'm in the minority. But I found the Gimli of the books, Galadriel's courtly knight, hilarious, while being articulate and moving. His interaction with Eomer was among the highlights of the books for me. The contrast between his extreme charm and his gruff exterior was in itself far funnier than all the gaseous activity in the world.
You're not in the minority,Gimli was great in the books,but I like humour so I liked him also in the movie.ACtualy,it was suprising that PJ didn't show what Gimli thought of Galadriel,it is really great when he changes his attitude towards elves when he sees Galadriel.
And about Legolas-he wasn't really talked about so much in the books,and it should have stayed that way.Orlando Bloom maybe was a good chooice for Legolas (I'm saying this because if I say he's a bad acter,I'll probably be beaten to death ) but I don't know....he really isn't the character he was in the books.I liked Boromir more then Legolas in the movie,because Boromir was...well,Boromir,if you know what I mean.And Legolas isn't good because it isn't the real Legolas.It is some charmer that has no regrets,knows no sorrows and so on.And that scene when he can sense that Sauron is focused on their location is just awful.What is he,some special sort of wizard or shaman?So,I liked Gimli in both movies and the books,but I really didn't like Legolas in the movie.They should have read the whole book to get some idea of what's Legolas like.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:26 PM   #85
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Because 'shall I fetch you a box'' is a funny line
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote