The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2005, 10:58 PM   #121
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Talking to old friends for the first time in months. It's a very nice feeling because you just pick up right where you left off. Similarly, saying you and your ex-boy/girlfriend are going to stay friends and actually making it happen.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 07:34 PM   #122
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
The Beginning of winter should go to the Shire because it is nice to have krisp new snow and it makes you think of Christmas.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #123
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

indeed it should. when it gets here . can't wait.

im sure they eat at least one huge bowl of chili a day in the shire. anyway they should.
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:26 AM   #124
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Umbrellas. As well as being excellent weapons, they keep me dry when it rains.

Fuzzy slippers. They're just so warm and comfortable.

Doing better than you expected at something and having people compliment you afterwards on what a good job you did.

Peanut butter. But only the kind without sugar and all sorts of nasssssty preservatives and goodness know what else. The kind that only has peanuts and salt is the perfect Hobbit food.

Fencing. Especially the fact that after two years of being mediocre to bad at foil, I'll finally get to learn saber, which I suspect I'll be much better at.

People who make you feel happy, even when you're trying to be angsty and sad.

My light purple shoes. Just because they make me inexplicably happy.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:32 PM   #125
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Swedish women. . . eeh let me rephrase that to: Women who speak swedish.

I don't know what it is, but it sounds so beautiful, that you forget that she is talking incredebly fast so that you only understand 10% of what she says!

The funny thing is I don't find Swedish in generel beeing a beautiful language. When it is spoken by a male it is just another ordinary language, this could be explained easely by the fact that I am automatic atractet by allmost every female with in a radius of 50 m.

But no! You see, women who speaks french dos not affect me, but then again french is an overrated language.

German is a better exampel, I like german and nothing happens when it is spoken to me.

To sum it up: I assign women who speak swedish to the Shire.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:31 PM   #126
Plastic_Panda
Pile O'Bones

Plastic_Panda has just left Hobbiton.
rain! my friends, and ya, i guess Planet Tolkien and the Downs....

You have my bow....And my Pants!
Plastic_Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:13 AM   #127
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Accidentally causing your friend to fall off the climbing wall (from a safe height!) and then seeing the startled and completely bewildered expression of said friend as they try to work out what just happened. Closely followed by the fit of hysterics you get upon seeing this face, where you're laughing so hard that tears are pouring down your cheeks and you can't breathe.

Yesterday was fun
Old 11-10-2005, 11:46 AM   #128
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
The guy who, after your advisor tells you that what you plan to do is against the rules, has no qualms about helping you bend them. Making friends with administrators is a good tip for any college students [or potential ones] out there. But seriously, the people who understand that ivory towers are occasionally fun places to hole yourself up in and who have absolutely no issues with admitting you into their class (against the rules, in this case), or letting you take it with no grading involved (not against the rules, but nobody tells freshmen about these things) after you explain that no, you don't have to take the class because yes, you did test out of it thus meeting the requirements for your major, but sure will allow you to take it anyways because you simply want to. The ones that you don't have to explain your point nor purpose because he got it as soon as you started to speak. And that he's got the most laid back southern drawl imaginable doesn't hurt, as you notice that as you chat, you begin to pick it up a bit yourself, not even noticing your born-and-raised-Northeastern one disappearing. Of course, mah own ax-int came back ree-lee fas' aft r'I left. I'm sendin' tha' t'the Sha-er too.

So to sum up: I'm sending to the Shire the guy that's letting me take a class that I'm technically not supposed to and I'm sending my own accent.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:05 PM   #129
Himilsillion
Animated Skeleton

Himilsillion has just left Hobbiton.
1420! The Shire:

Southern Germany during Oktober Fest
Old 11-10-2005, 09:59 PM   #130
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
When the segment of the story you're writing passes muster such that there's no criticism, but eager curiosity about the story itself. Especially when it's a segment that you really felt you were "in the zone with" when you wrote it .... eight years ago ... and barely reworked at all, especially especially when you thought that it might not be that good, and then you're told that it flowed well. That belongs in the Shire, right under the Party Tree, on September 22nd.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:49 AM   #131
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
To The Shire with: lovely, fluffy, colourful Doctor Who scarves. In fact, scarves in general, but the longer and fluffier the better. It's the comfort blanket grown-ups are allowed to have. I have just got my first new one of the winter and it was so difficult choosing just one from all the lovely scarves I saw (and felt, though the assistants in M&S were looking at me funny ).
Old 11-11-2005, 05:37 AM   #132
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Nice substitute librarians at my work practice place who let me and my friend leave two and a half hours earlier than we should have left.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 05:40 AM   #133
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
General studies (most pointless lesson on the planet) teachers who decide they really can't be bothered to teach you and give you a sheet and say that so long as you have read it and don't bug anyone else you can have a free!

Oh also, meetings. Sounds odd I know but when they get you out of psychology they feel like bliss
Old 11-11-2005, 12:42 PM   #134
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign the feeling you get when you see a really good grade on a test that was going to make or break your first semester psych scores. If I'd done badly, I'd have considered dropping the course. But getting an A on a test created by one of the 'hardest' professors at your school (that even other professors agree is difficult) absolutely makes your day.

Also, the feeling that comes with watching a respected professor label your work specifically "because people are going to want to know who composed this." It's such a feeling to know that no matter how little confidence you might fall to in other classes, that you still have a bit of talent for music theory.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:31 AM   #135
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
My local library, in all its wonder.

Need an obscure book hardly anybody has heard of? Written in 1945? Only one edition printed? No problem, we'll have it at your nearest library in three days.

the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:02 AM   #136
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Walking through the mini-forest in my university in mid-afternoon, when the sun is shining but not too glaringly brightly, and there is no pressure to hurry up because your last class of the day (Calculus) has just ended.

Oh, and my Calculus prof. She's incredibly funny and has lots of wonderful stories to tell. And the term has just begun...
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:33 AM   #137
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

The feeling of accomplishment that comes after a long day. When sure, you spent a good portion of your day stressed out, but the end result was totally worth it.

Accidentally daydreaming in Psych only to snap back to reality and realize that for the first time all term, you weren't paying complete attention and you didn't actually miss anything important.

Knowing that your hometown library system got the book you wanted and that it's waiting at home for you to read in your pyjamas on the couch with your dog as a pillow on your first weekend of break.

When even though you got your pride handed to you on a platter by a ten year old that beat you at chess because you weren't paying attention and got your queen killed off four moves into the game, the look on his face when he realizes he's winning makes losing entirely worth it.

When you find out that the most random people think you are amazing, and you really haven't got the faintest idea why, but decide to ponder it over a peach smoothie until your lack of anything resembling a high attention span kicks in and you start playing with something shiny instead... and it doesn't bother you any.

Thanksgiving and Thanksgiving break, and the way it feels to know that you are about to see the people you love most in the world.

Totally acing a performance and the absolute rush you get when you and your companions run off stage to the echoing screams and applause of the packed theatre.

And the best... absolutely best thing of the day that has to go to the Shire:

Realizing that you've just finished your term paper, and that you're probably going to get an A on it. And the split second that it occurs to you that you've got nine days of break in a day and a half and you don't have to think about your twenty-page research paper once during the entire time. That's a good feeling.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:09 AM   #138
Melilot Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Melilot Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Wow, a lot of you have described Exmoor, where I live. For those of you who aren't from the UK, it's a small protected National Park and AONB (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty) in the SW of England.

I reckon Jackson could have filmed the Shire scenes here. We have beautiful scenery, green rolling hills, moorland covered in heather, and we have real honest-to-goodness barrows here too. I walk my dogs past a series of these burial sites nearly every day. I always imagine the creeping hand under the soil guarding hoards of treasure.

Exmoor is full of tiny communities, like the shire. Exmoor even has Shire-ish sounding villages and places: Wootton Courtenay, West Buckland, Withiel Florey, Aldermans Barrow, Elworthy Barrow... I could go on and on.

The pace of life is so gentle here. It's full of old farmhouses, old fashioned people, tiny village shops. Little bakeries full of cakes, pastries, good breads. Butchers shops selling locally produced meats. Cosy little pubs with open fires selling ales by the pint. It's as close to the Shire as you're ever gonna get. I sometimes wonder if Tolkien ever visited here, the way he describes the Shire is pure Exmoor through and through.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:59 AM   #139
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melilot Brandybuck
Wow, a lot of you have described Exmoor, where I live. For those of you who aren't from the UK, it's a small protected National Park and AONB (Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty) in the SW of England.
Welcome to the Downs, Melilot!

I was to England this September past, but only got as close to Exmoor as Bath. More's the pity. I wanted to get to Glastonbury, but one can only do so much in three weeks. Maybe next time.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:06 AM   #140
Melilot Brandybuck
Animated Skeleton

Melilot Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks for the warm welcome Littlemanpoet.

Ah, shame you couldn't make it as far as Exmoor. It is so lovely here.

Bath is a great place to visit, with its unique Georgian architecture and history - I esp. like to visit the Roman baths. Glastonbury is OK, very crowded in the summer months and to be honest I have never sensed any mysticism or spirituality. Maybe all the crowds soak it up and there isn't enough to go around...

Exmoor's great if you love hiking or riding and you want to see the English countryside with a sense of an age gone by. Not so good if you're looking for clubs, dancing or night life. But if you're looking for history, Iron Age remains, old druid's groves, wild deer, soaring hawks, heather-clad moorland, ancient woodland, medieval churches, thatched farmhouses, then it's really worth a visit.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:45 AM   #141
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Having a chat with a good friend, one you haven't seen for more than a month although you study in the same univ. Especially if you have to step out of your math class (while discussing logarithmic functions) for several minutes in order to do so.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:15 AM   #142
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
On Sunday afternoon I was walking on Richmond Hill when I saw a large crowd of people gathered. I wondered what they were doing, and then I realised they'd all stopped to look the beautiful sunset. There were all sorts there - shoppers, families, people walking their dogs, drinkers with pints in hand who'd come out from the pub across the road.
The sunset and the view were absolutely glorious, with the purple trees and river stretching out covered with mist, but I also loved the fact that so many people were spontaneously enjoying it.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:06 PM   #143
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Let's see- best friends who let you complain about your life at 3 in the morning, seeing the love of your life again after 3 months apart, Pepsi, and professors who truly love the subject they teach.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 04:34 PM   #144
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Getting to see and talk to a friend you've barely seen and haven't had a proper conversation with in 3 months belongs in the Shire. We hadn't talked or really seen each other at all because our schedules are completely different and my friend got a girlfriend, which rather takes up his time. Hopefully now people will stop thinking I'm his girlfriend!
Old 11-29-2005, 05:08 PM   #145
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry, but this just is not going to Mordor - Christmas. It's my very favourite time of year, and my favourite time of the whole year is between 4 and 6pm on Christmas Eve. It's gone dark, you get the lights switched on, and maybe watch the Carols from Kings on BBC2 while you finish off trimming those parcels and stashing them beneath the tree. You have a drink, maybe a mince pie (even if you don't like mince pies, this is compulsory), and peruse the Radio Times for what's on TV later. All the time you're remembering what it was like when you were excited about what Father Christmas was going to bring you, and wondering if you'd see him - even though you also remember that the Christmas you stopped 'believing' was the one where you woke up to find your dad, dressed in vest and underpants, putting the presents under the tree at 5am, and swigging the glass of whisky he always told you that Father Christmas preferred to Sherry.

I'll stop now because this must be making everyone sick...
Old 11-29-2005, 05:17 PM   #146
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm sending the delightful movie A Christmas Story to the Shire because it is a fun yearly tradition to watch at least a segment of that but usually the entire movie. For that matter I will send all the fun Christmas traditions to the Shire where they shall stay....

See Lal, you're not alone
Old 11-29-2005, 05:25 PM   #147
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Thumbs up

Then let me assign The Nightmare Before Christmas , I wached it 4 times last christmas and it was not one time too many.
I am planing on doing so again this year.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 05:27 PM   #148
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Oh definitely The Nightmare Before Christmas! That's a wonderful film.

I'll add going to midnight mass (though I'm not religious ) just so you can walk home in the freezing cold afterwards absolutely hyper!
Old 11-29-2005, 05:50 PM   #149
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

In the holiday spirit, I assign New Year's Eve. It's the one time of year all my old friends from childhood get together in one place.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:05 PM   #150
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Inspiration and people who understand it. When your professor asks you at the beginning of class how your final project is coming and you tell him to go away: "It's grand. I haven't worked on it since before break, but I just had an idea, that's why I'm writing. Go away so I don't forget." And he does with a smile.

The way it feels to stare intently at your hands while manipulating them into different shapes and then, ten minutes later, finally deciding that a small black smiley face on your pinky will convey the necessary humour. And then getting so involved in photomanipulation that by the time you finally look up, the 1 1/2 hour class had ended a good 15 minutes before, your classmates were gone, and you were still more focused on your project and the precise hue desaturation of your face than you were on the clock.

The total lack of caring about the rain that's pouring down on you even though you're cold, you're soaked to the skin, and the wind is blowing, because as you walk back from class, you're still lost in thoughts, and they are cumulative. When inspiration strikes... and you don't ever want to stop writing, and you don't ever want to stop creating really cool stuff.

And to expand on what others have recently sent to Mordor: seeing your best friend for the first time since summer. The relaxed silence, because you already know what's being thought. Curling up under a blanket on the couch in the wee hours of the morning with a dog between you and a cat on each lap, and being unable to stop smiling because you're finally together again and have shared the giggling moment that comes when you see the big diamond on her left ring finger and the jokes have already passed about the bachelorette party that you get to plan.

Oh, and this fantastic dessert that I'm eating. Wow.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:38 PM   #151
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
I'll add going to midnight mass (though I'm not religious ) just so you can walk home in the freezing cold afterwards absolutely hyper!
Ooooh...

Excellent choice!

I second the motion!

Albeit for somewhat different reasons (I am religious)... I love that Christmasy, Christ is born, after Mass feeling as people mingle in the foyer ere they return to their homes.

And I herewith assign our church choir to the Shire. They always do an awesome job!

And, now that I think about it, I'd like to assign the word "ere" to the Shire. It is simply an awesome word.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:43 PM   #152
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Personally, I just love the excuse to eat and drink lots and get loads of presents.

I'll get me coat ...
Old 11-30-2005, 01:14 PM   #153
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I send to the Shire raw, physical happiness. It's just as good as deeper, spiritual happiness, in my eyes. Happiness is happiness.

I also assign to the shire warm coats. So, SpM, if you are leaving, you'll have to do so without he coat.

And, finally, the healthy / environmentally friendly / feel-good feeling you get from switching from bus to bike, obtaining a recycling bin, or pledging to drink lots more water.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:42 PM   #154
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Christmas defintely goes to the Shire, and so does decorating the Christmas tree, and so do carrols. I also send snowfalls there as I find nothing more relaxing than watching the snowflakes fall from the sky. It truly gives you a great feeling.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:23 PM   #155
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
I send to the Shire raw, physical happiness. It's just as good as deeper, spiritual happiness, in my eyes. Happiness is happiness.
Happiness is happiness? I never knew. I assign Aldous Huxley and the awesomeness that comes from chatting over his works with intelligent people.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:51 PM   #156
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Assign to all good philosophical debates. You know, the ones that really get your mental juices flowing, excite the adrenal, and bend your brain in whole new ways. Even if you never reach a conclusion, you still feel a sense of satisfaction.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:29 AM   #157
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril <--- Christmas star

I would like to add my voice to those who want to take their Christmas decorations with them to the Shire. I go all out with mine, and it takes the better part of several days to take down all the "normal" pictures and bric-a-brac and replace them with Christmas nativities, angels, stars - and quilt wall hangings on a combination of those themes. I've begun a series of blog entries showing some of the decorations, in case anyone wants to see - yes, the link is still there in my signature. Just look closely...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:37 PM   #158
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Esty - you've got lovely decorations, and your candle arch is identical to mine! I hang star shaped lights above it in the window (or attempt to, as they invariably fall down), and my tree decorations are all silver and gold, with a lot of stars - I buy just one or two new ones each year and love getting the old trinkets out.

Well now I don't feel like I've begun too early now - though the full 'bedecking' will not begin til the 10th (when a certain someone is out of the house and unable to complain if I get into tinsel frenzy... ).
Old 12-02-2005, 01:07 AM   #159
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Oh, definitely Christmas. Its commercialization goes to that place far away to the East, though.

And the sudden enlightenment that came when my Calculus instructor taught us infinite limits a while ago. When we were taught that in high school last year I was totally lost (no offense to my teacher then, and may he rest in peace), but this time I began to get it. It's amazing.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:41 PM   #160
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

I assign getting offers at universities after you've been nervously biting your nails for nearly 2 weeks and have just been wondering if no one wants you! Also, getting the offer from the one place you really want to go to!

I love the postman!