User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-18-2002, 11:24 AM   #1
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting On Patrol Discussion

This thread is for Out of Character comments pertaining to the On Patrol RPG.

Please Note: This is an Invitation Only RP.

[ June 30, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 06-18-2002, 01:00 PM   #2
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Hello, Gandalf me old wizard! I'm coming, with an oliphaunt and a horse in tow. This should be a fascinating journey.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:02 PM   #3
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

hey shud i join this as well? thatd make a grand total of 5 RPGs!
Old 06-18-2002, 01:27 PM   #4
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Sting

Bethberry the herbalist/ healer in tow. Is this a walking tour or shall I bring my Bretton mare, Riverdance? My falcon, Wyrd, also begs to join.
Old 06-18-2002, 01:29 PM   #5
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

erm...whats the actual setting and all?
Old 06-18-2002, 01:47 PM   #6
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Elenna:

I hope you're not too emotionally attached to the horse or the oliphaunt. The road holds unknown perils. Good luck.

Bethberry:

Gandalf is on foot, preferring the simple approach at present. Your falcon Wyrd may come along.

Amanaduial the archer:

Please read through the "Let's go to the Prancing Pony!" RP for background information regarding how the On Patrol RP got started. If you are interested in being part of a serious and high quality RP, you can arrange to have your character meet the company along the road ... and if it is decided that your character has anything to offer the group, you will be accepted into the group.

* bows *

Gandalf the Grey
Old 06-18-2002, 01:54 PM   #7
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Sting

Quote:
part of a serious and high quality RP
oooh that would make a change! (nah Elenna im kidding, Rivendell is my first, longest standing and fave RP!)

i might be a while, if ive gotta read the entire thing...anyway, im thinki of ducking out of one of them, as ive no idea wots goin on....(no, thats not an usual occurence...me dropping out of RPs i mean...)
Old 06-18-2002, 02:05 PM   #8
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Gandalf,

Have editted first post to remove Riverdance. Will add Wyrd soon.

There's a herb for sore and blistered feet; I hope I have a goodly supply of it. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Bethberry
Old 06-18-2002, 02:52 PM   #9
Naaramare
Wight

Naaramare has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naaramare
Sting

This promises to be very amusing . . .Naaramare brings nothing but a mostly-erased memory and her own two feet. Well, and clothing, of course. ^~

si man i yulma nin equantuva? [my blog]
Old 06-18-2002, 02:56 PM   #10
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Eye

ill pass on this one thanx. sorry
Old 06-18-2002, 03:02 PM   #11
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Gandalf!!! Can I join? I'll be Menelduliniel (like I always am), and I'll bring Salkadome, my big, 22 hand black stallion.

I can use daggers, CAN use an bow if forced...and is quite amusing when I try to use a sword...well: I'll go check out the RPG!
Old 06-18-2002, 07:57 PM   #12
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Bethberry:

I also hope you have a goodly supply of herbal remedies for sore and blistered feet. The whole company will thank you for not having to put up with the kind of mood Gandalf would be in while suffering from foot irritation. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Naaramare:

I admire you for travelling light (though I did caution everyone about food and water rations (except Bethberry, who wasn't present in the room with the rest of us at the time ...). Still, my compliment to you stands, Naaramare. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

VanimaEdhel:

You're already in. May a star shine on our venturing forth together in company.

~~ Gandalf the Grey
Old 06-18-2002, 11:23 PM   #13
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dűm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Sting

What happened to the Prancing Pony thread??

How does this one relate to it?

Where will Kewl fit in here?

Help!!!
Old 06-19-2002, 09:40 AM   #14
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Hi All,

Just a quick note to say that, when I reread my post asking about going through the Old Forest, I discovered a 'silent' typo, 'usual' when I had meant to type 'unusual.'

So, in revising, I added more about my character's response to elves. Nothing that ruins continuity with your subsequent posts, but just small runination on why Bb is a little perplexed about elves' failure to find joy in each day.

Can't stay to play much today. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Bb
Old 06-19-2002, 09:05 PM   #15
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Author's Note:

Careful when you go off hunting or looking for herbs around the campsite for the evening supper ... remember, a wagon recently went missing and foul play is suspected. You just never know what type of shady character(s) you may run into out there in the Wilds South of Bree ... Am not planning to have any Orcs show up right now ... (Orcs are rather overdone in RPs and for that reason can be kind of boring anyways, having the same old type of monster all the time) ... but I do have a couple other plans for "surprise visitors" to show up and provide enough risk and danger to keep even the most daredevil Elf on his or her toes.

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 06-20-2002, 06:39 AM   #16
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdland brushes off her skirt and offers a clumsy curtsey to the noble (she assumes, since most people who speak like Gandalf would be considered noble) Grey Wanderer.

"Hail and well-met, Gandalf the Grey!" (Birdie had heard an elf say that once, and always liked the sound of it.)

I am a humble "skin-changer", raised by the Beorning, but leaving in disgrace when it was discovered I could not "do" bear.

Now most would think that skin-changing would be a marvelous way to make a living, but it hasn't turned out that way for poor ol' Birdie. I can morph into a small black and white crow (good for delivering messages), a small Neekerbreeker (a fine way to watch things unobserved) or a 50' Mulberry Ent (great for seeing long distances, or if you're in the mood for mulberries)

In my last adventure, I was dropped in seawater, and discovered that I could morph into a dolphin. But that wouldn't be much help around here.

But the demand for skin-changing abilities are few and far between, so I can also wash dishes, chop wood, clean stables, and - well - borrow, small, unwatched things. I have a sling! Great for hunting coneys. And my own traveling pack, with a waterbag, cooking gear, flint and steel. I'm all ready!

Now mostly I tend to avoid great people like Elves, Rangers and such, since such folk tend to attract wars and battles like a dog attracts fleas. But to travel with such a wise and erudite Wizard such as yourself would be a wonderful thing. And maybe you can tell me if you've ever found other skin-changers like me?

I know lots of old songs. I can tell some great stories. And I hardly ever, ever steal from my traveling companions. Please, won't you pick me up on the road and take me with you? Please?????
Old 06-20-2002, 10:16 AM   #17
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Return greetings to you, Birdie.

Hail and well met. * bows a greeting *

Your readiness to put your skin-changing abilities at the service of our group ... one never knows when turning into a creature of air, earth, or water can come in handy (now what of fire?) * wonders aloud * ... and help with chores and the demands of staying alive in the Wilds is noble. We'd be happy to accept, and foolish not to. I hope in turn to be able to live up to your high expectations of me. As for finding other skin-changers like you, that is something that can never be done, as you are so amazingly unique.

I look forward to our exchanging songs and stories, knowing that a star shines on the hour of our chance meeting. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gandalf the Grey

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 06-20-2002, 12:51 PM   #18
Feadolena Nolfare
Pile O'Bones

Feadolena Nolfare has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Mae govannen, Birdie!
A skin-changer! How wonderful! You can be sure Moridel will talk to you at once [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Look guys, I drew a picture of Moridel! *points to avatar* the full picture is on my site [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2002, 07:22 PM   #19
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Note to All:

If you see a surprise character appear in the main RP, everything's okay ..... he was specially invited to come here.

Feadolena Nolfare:

That's a very nice picture of the Hedgemaiden. My compliments. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~~ Gandalf the Grey
Old 06-20-2002, 07:32 PM   #20
Naaramare
Wight

Tolkien

Birdland! Having enjoyed your posts elsewhere, I personally would enjoy having you as part of the group. ::waves:: I'm the resident amnesiac. Come along!

Old 06-20-2002, 07:43 PM   #21
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

(Birdie curtsies again to the Wizard. My, the noble races do love their formalities!) Indeed, great Mithrandir, I do consider myself unique, but not singular. For the great tome "The Encyclopedia of Arda" makes passing reference to skin-changers other than the mighty race of Beorning.

Since I can only assume my little understood abilities came from the parents who bore, then abandoned me, my opinion remains that where there were two, there may be more. (Barring plague, famine, war and the other daily mischances which Middle Earth is heir to.)

I await your cue to join your merry band, with pleasurable anticipation.

(Whew! Hope I said all that right...)
Old 06-20-2002, 07:49 PM   #22
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Hullo Birdie,

Well yes, there are werewolves of course. I'd almost forgotten they might be prowling about along our path, as I'd heard a report of one or two in the Old Forest. And as you said, where there are one or two ...

Please feel welcome to meet up with the company at your earliest convenience. I trust your judgment that your entrance will be fitting to the story at whatever point you make your appearance.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 06-20-2002, 11:36 PM   #23
Feadolena Nolfare
Pile O'Bones

Feadolena Nolfare has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf - Why thank you! *curtseys as best she can in scuffed boots*

Birdie - hope I didn't mess anything up by trying to introduce you too early [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2002, 04:28 AM   #24
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Feadolena Nolfare, many thanks for skinning that badger! (Are they edible? I have no idea, but I know they are common all over England.) I had a reply ready for Moridel's interesting comments about Bb, but by the time it was my turn on the computer (I share this with my kids), the story had moved on too far! I will try to work something in as a backstory without , ah, 'chilling' this new atmosphere.

All, my character has never carried a weapon in the past. Am not sure if she will carry one here....

Birdland, I don't think we've met before, but hello and welcome.

Bethberry

[ June 21, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 06-21-2002, 04:45 AM   #25
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dűm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Kewl looks good in leather and a hairnet. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ June 21, 2002: Message edited by: Cimmerian ]
Old 06-21-2002, 10:11 AM   #26
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

WOOO! GO FIFTH! LOL...sorry: just had to say that somewhere...
Old 06-21-2002, 10:26 AM   #27
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
Sting

Well, I am just butting into the RP as Ulaire Lemenya. And thanks, Van.
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
Old 06-21-2002, 10:51 PM   #28
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

The Fifth:

Hey, thanks for being such a formidable opponent. It's a pleasure having a writer of your talent to keep all of us in suspense. You're welcome and encouraged to stay around in one capacity or another regardless of how this particular Close Encounter of the Wraith Kind turns out. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bethberry:

Kudos to you on your clever inventiveness in having Wyrd make such good use of badger musk. And your not carrying a weapon should lend a unique richness to the adventure. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Feadolena Nolfare and Birdie:

Am greatly enjoying the three-dimensional depth of personalized characterization and vividly tangible sensory description you two bring to the RP. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

VanimaEdhel:

Now you're an intriguing one aren't you? That Meneli will sure take some watching. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Naaramare:

Am looking forward to getting to know you better as our journey unfolds, as you wish. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Elenna:

You and your oliphaunt definitely add a neat twist to things. Are you planning to accompany us any farther on our journey?

Cimmerian:

Perhaps when things get a little more settled after the wraith encounter we'll be able to meet up with your Dwarf character.

~~ Gandalf the Grey
Old 06-21-2002, 11:08 PM   #29
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Thank you for your comments, Gandalf, I felt silly at first but now I'm getting the hang of it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
Old 06-21-2002, 11:15 PM   #30
Naaramare
Wight

Sting

::bows, laughing:: Hint to reveal myself a bit more, Gandalf? I shall, never fear. I've just been swamped with other stuff. Soon enough, I shall give you my full attention! But till them, all of you, it's been great so far and hopefully shall continue!

Old 06-22-2002, 12:03 PM   #31
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Thanks Gandalf. I'm enjoying the characters very much in this thread. When poor Birdie finds out she is in the company of the lengendary Gandalf the Grey, she will be very impressed.

Bethberry: loved da "musk bomb"! The most unique weapon I have ever seen by far in an RPG.

Looking forward from learning more herb-lore from you, especially someone wood-crafty enough to recognize and relish morels! (Sigh Too bad you all had already eaten before I joined the thread.)
Old 06-22-2002, 02:36 PM   #32
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

1: Thank you Birdie!!!!!

2: FIFTH! I'll teach you to mess with an Elf!

Well: that's all: and let me go! I wanna fiiiiiiiiiight! I don't need medical attention! That can wait!
Old 06-22-2002, 03:16 PM   #33
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Thanks, Birdie! When ya doesn't carry a weapon, ya gotta think 'outside the box.' *grins* Join me in any herb lore. I'm still and always learning. Kudos to you for your choice of original character.

The Fifth, may I add my compliments, too? My spine tingled as I thought you hit just the right note of calm, implacable terror. I look forward to more of your writing.

All, this is well-paced interaction. I'm humbled and made proud at the same time to be part of such an accomplished group of RPers. I hope I can keep up with you--or win enough coin tosses with my young Brandybucks to get to the computer often enough, LOL!

Bethberry
Old 06-24-2002, 04:04 PM   #34
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Note:

Regarding the sword my character purchased from the pawn shop in Bree, I thought that the fair thing to do was to roll a ten-sided die to determine what kind of sword it was. I rolled a seven, meaning that the sword is of Elvish origin.

Based on my long years of role-playing experience, I intend to keep things interesting by rolling dice to determine the success or failure of any swordplay that occurs when I go up against The Fifth and attempt an offensive maneuver. The Fifth is meanwhile welcome to proceed as he has been doing all along, since the wraith character is being portrayed with commendable realism.

Nice posting everyone, much good quality, and it's good to see Naaramare and Elenna step up to the plate. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Now where is that Hedgemaiden of ours?

~~ Gandalf the Grey
Old 06-24-2002, 04:42 PM   #35
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

Thank you for your comments, you are all great RPers and you have quenched my thirst for a serious RP.
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
Old 06-24-2002, 09:20 PM   #36
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Not by Shire reckoning, but the 25th is Gandalf the Grey's birthday.

Happy birthday, Gandalf, my good friend. I hope you like this mathom I've chosen for you. The rainbow is, I think, especially meaningful.

Bethberry

Edit to correct the date!

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

Old 06-24-2002, 10:07 PM   #37
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Actually, it's June 25th.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Bethberry ... and the wonderful view of the Bombadil residence! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gandalf the Grey

[ June 25, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 06-24-2002, 10:47 PM   #38
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Everywhere tonight I've been thinking it is the 26th! I can't keep track of the days these days!

I'm glad you like the view of the Bombadil home!

Bethberry
Old 06-24-2002, 11:24 PM   #39
Naaramare
Wight

Tolkien

Well, you're not quite at happy birthday yet from where I am (frozen snows of Nah-than Ca-nay-da) but Happy Birthday nonetheless. ^^

Old 06-25-2002, 12:31 AM   #40
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dűm

Sting

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GANDY!!!!! *hands you a tray of cookies shaped like the Eye* Here, have these! I made them myself!
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye