Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I might have a name,
then the name gives me might.
Even if I am two-handed,
I have no arms though I am one.

Bird sat, biting her lip absent-mindedly as she pondered the riddle. She looked around her at the activity in the inn yard, running the riddle around in her mind.

Across the yard, appearing from the forest that surrounded the inn, one of the Rangers appeared. She watched as he purposely strode towards the inn. Though his "mission" might be no more than to seek a hearty breakfast, he was, as all Rangers are, well-armed.

"Armed! That's it! The answer is 'a sword'...Am I right?"
Old 08-26-2002, 12:31 PM   #362
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You've cut to the heart of the matter. Sword is correct, Birdland. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Your turn.

* Noticing his friend Bethberry's keen interest in the ongoing contest, Gandalf turned to her. * Here's an idea. How about, if someone guesses a wrong answer, after the one who asked the riddle confirms a guess as incorrect and the loser of the riddle game has been determined, you are then free to provide an answer? Your answer will not affect the outcome between Bird and myself. But if you're right, Bethberry, then you win a song or story from the winner of the riddle game. What say you? And Bird? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2002, 02:24 PM   #363
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Menelduliniel and Estelarion entered the stable and saw many of the horses missing.

"Aiya, it seems that they have left without us," Estelarion said.

"Hm..." thought Menelduliniel out loud to herself, "Would it be at all possible to go out and look for them? I do not want to be left here..."

"What happened to you staying out of trouble?" Estelarion sighed. Before he even finished, though, Menelduliniel had jumped on Salkadome and had led Amanroch out of his stall.

"Are you coming?" Menelduliniel said.

"All right, all right," grumbled Estelarion, jumping on Amanroch, "If only they had just left a note..."

They then rode off, trying to see where the most used path that day was (in the hopes that that was the path taken by Gandalf and his company).
Old 08-26-2002, 04:47 PM   #364
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Estelarion and Menelduliniel set out by themselves on horseback, completely unaware of the fact that Birdland, Bethberry, and Gandalf were seated right outside the Trade Inn. Meanwhile, Holly was off walking and talking with her newfound Ranger friend, and could be counted on to return in due time. *

* As it was, the time was not right for Gandalf to leave Sarn Ford, so in Sarn Ford he would stay, content to let any Elves who wished depart as they pleased without him. *

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 08-26-2002, 09:40 PM   #365
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

'I don't suppose you've got anything in that satchel of yours to eat or drink?' asked Holly. It was about ten in the morning as she estimated by the way the trees across the river cast their reflections in broken images across the flowing water. She had just finished sketching them, and was taking a critical look at how she had captured the light as it filtered through the thick boughs, when her stomach rumbled and protested at having missed second breakfast.

Vorondil, caught in his own reverie of the moving water and its song as it rushed over rocks and burbled through fallen tree limbs, did not hear her question. 'Did you say something?' he asked, his eyes following an ouzel as it flew to a small rock at the water's edge and then walked beneath the water looking for a tasty waterbug. 'Amazing creatures, birds! he murmured appreciatively to himself, as the bird emerged with his prize.

'I did say something! I thought you might have a snack in that satchel of yours to tide us over. But, the light I wanted is fading anyway, so I'll make do with the drawings I've done.' Putting her sketch pad and pens into her pack she stood up from her place on the bank and motioned to the Ranger. 'Let's head back to the Inn. I'll treat you to elevenses or lunch, depending on how fast we can make it back.'

Spurred on by hunger, the two companions were swift in their return. Holly left the two horses in the grassy area near the stable with a promise that she would see about an apple apiece for them if they didn't wander off or cause mischief. Both of them snorted at her as if taking affront that she could even think such of them.

At the pump near the stable they washed their hands and faces and were just about to enter the Inn in search of food, when Holly spied Bird, Gandalf, and Bethberry sitting at a table outside. They seemed engaged in some enjoyable verbal interchange.

'Shall we join your friends?' asked Vorondil.

'No, let's let them have a pleasant parlay with each other. Bird seems in a good mood, let's not break the spell.'

She motioned him to follow her into the common room and had just found a table to sit at when a hobbit serving lass in a green dress came up to take their orders. She took their requests with a disapproving look at the young Ranger, and then hurried off.

'Now what was that all about?' asked Holly, amazed at the hobbit's somewhat rude attitude.

Olo had come up behind Holly and heard the exchange. He slid onto the bench beside her, and laughed at this last question. 'You should be careful who you are seen leaving the Inn with in the wee hours of the morning! And especially careful of leaving with such a Bounder as he!' He pointed at Vorondil, whose cheeks now bore a hint of crimson beneath his scruffy beard.

'By the One!' said Holly. ' Are things so slow about here that an early morning walk makes for the gossip of the day!

The hobbit lass had brought their food and drink to the table.

'Come, you two,' said Holly, 'let's take this outside, away from curious eyes. Olo, has Gandalf said anything about leaving this place? It's suddenly feeling too small for me. Let's go ask him.'

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-26-2002, 09:50 PM   #366
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Merriadoc Brandybuck sauntered closer to poor Hardwin, who might have been dry and cosy but who was also hungry and straining hard against his halter to reach the hay to eat.

Why, that's Podo Cotton's cart and Hardwin his pony,said Merry out loud. Mr. Cotton must be back from his trade trip. But where is he? What's the pony doing here at Bucklebury Fern? There's something funny about this... something unusual....Maybe even an adventure. Merry stopped his addresses to the air and looked about.

Then he patted Hardwin and fed him some hay, before beginning to speak to the grateful pony. Well, obviously, some help is needed here and Merriadoc Brandybuck is just the young hobbit to come to the rescue, heroically finding and returning Mr. Cotton's lost cart, laden with wares and surprises and delicacies, and who knows what else, and tending to his famished pony. I'll make a dashing stir. I'll be the talk of all Buckland. And ... I'll have a great ride out it. Hardwin, you shall take me to Crickshollow. There's been some strange goings-on there people say. Yes, indeed, you and I shall investigate on our way back to Overhill. We'll have our own tales to tell.

Hardwin was, you might say, a captive audience. But he appreciated the hay and the slight brushing which Merry gave him and easily allowed the young hobbit to climb aboard the cart. Merry struck out on the main road of Buckland in hopes that someone would see his hospitable service to the farmer-tradesman, but no one was on the road so early and soon after the rain. Merry followed the road for a bit and then came upon a gate in the tall hedge. No one saw him enter, either. At least, no hobbit did.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:00 AM   #367
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird was delighted that she had guessed the first riddle, though she did not doubt that the wizard had more difficult ones up his sleeve.

But then, the Riddle Game was a passion throughout Middle Earth, and there was not a drover, soldier, alewife or shepherd who did not have a stock of riddles to pull out for such occasions. New ones were avidly memorized, in the hopes that the next player one met had not heard the same riddle somewhere down the road. A person who could write a good, original riddle was as much admired as a poetic bard.

Bird stared down at the breakfast table, then decided to go with a new version of an old theme that she had heard. I wouldn't do to use your hardest riddles at the beginning of the game. Besides, she loved the poetry of this particular puzzler.

In marble walls as white as milk,
Lined with a skin as soft as silk;
Within a fountain crystal clear,
A golden apple doth appear.
No doors there are to this stronghold
Yet thieves break in and steal the gold.
Old 08-27-2002, 04:28 AM   #368
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* This new riddle of Birdie's Gandalf solved at once, unlike the first riddle, which he'd solved as slowly as the answer walked. *

Egg!

Here is the next riddle:

Day and night I run,
Faster in rain, bowing in sun.
Carrying drink to the brink,
My survival is by dropping;
I would die by stopping.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:55 AM   #369
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Hmmmmm, thought Birdie. The old Wizard guessed that much too quickly. But then, the Egg seemed to be a favorite subject for riddles. Everyone had an Egg riddle these days.

But then, there was another favorite subject in the Riddle Game, so Birdie was able to answer equally quickly.

"A river!"
Old 08-27-2002, 10:14 AM   #370
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Bethberry watched as the uncommunicative elves walked by, entered the stable, and then rode off, oblivious to the three companions sitting outside the Inn. Then she turned her attention back to Gandalf and Birdie as they vied for riddle champion. Finally, sadly, she rose.

My work calls and so I cannot wait for the outcome for my chance to answer. It appears I would have to wait too long! And would be hard put to contribute more than what either of you keeners can do! My felicitations!

Bethberry gave a short curtsy and then returned to her room, spending the afternoon pounding and grinding, cutting and sorting, pressing and wrapping. With some foreboding she realized that these preparations would probably not be for trade, but for more immediate use among her companions, should they travel on in aid of the Rangers and Gandalf's pursuit. The Shire was becoming more hazardous than the Old Forest.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:01 PM   #371
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Menelduliniel and Estelarion continued along the trail.

"I do not see them," Estelarion said, hesitantly, "Maybe we should turn back..."

"No!" Menelduliniel said, "They went this way, I am sure of it."

They pushed on, seeing no sign of anyone.

"Meneli...I'm going back to the Inn...come on," Estelarion sighed, turning Amanroch around.

"Why? We have time! We should stay out. Even if it weren't for them, I need to get out of that Inn! I was going crazy in there!"

With that, Menelduliniel clucked to Salkadome and he broke to a gallop. She galloped away from Estelarion.

"Meneli!" Estelarion yelled, spinning Amanroch and galloping after her.

They galloped for about an hour away from the Inn, through the woods. Finally, Menelduliniel pulled up, as she had gotten herself cornered: Estelarion behind her and a rock face about 8 feet tall in front of her. Salkadome spun and Menelduliniel faced Estelarion, who halted Salkadome.

"Now will you come back?" Estelarion asked as both the Elves and the horses panted a little.

"No...please no," Menelduliniel sighed, "Let us stay out here tonight? I cannot abide to be in another Inn...inside for another night."

"But, if they go back to the Inn...if they ever left: we still do not know that...they will not know where we are."

"We can go back tomorrow morning...early. Anyway, they will not bother us if they think we are still in our rooms...just...please?" Menelduliniel said, her eyes pleading Estelarion.

Estelarion sighed, knowing this was going to be a big mistake. Although things felt safe now, soon he had a feeling they probably would not be. But Menelduliniel would stay out here regardless of whether Estelarion remained, and he could not let her remain alone. Two of them had a better chance of surviving...

"Okay, okay, okay, okay, Meneli," Estelarion sighed, dismounting Amanroch, "We will stay outside, under the stars, just for this night. We must return tomorrow though!"

"Okay...I promise," Menelduliniel said. She dismounted and began gathering wood for a fire.

"Maybe we should pass on that, Menelduliniel. Who knows what the fire will attract?"

"It will keep more creatures away, probably, Estel. Anyway, I have my daggers...and you have the little knife I gave you about a year ago, right?"

"Yes, yes...but I don't know how to really fight with it, you realize..."

"You just stab them. Not much to it...we will be fine. I will be better than I could be at the Inn."

Estelarion sighed as Menelduliniel got a fire starting, still not feeling well about the fire...
Old 08-27-2002, 07:53 PM   #372
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Gandalf nodded to acknowledge Bethberry's going about her business of herbs, smiling appreciatively at her industriousness. The thought came to him of Calimie's fabled herb garden at Castle Maladil ... would it be found intact, well-tended, guarded? Or uprooted, weedy, trampled underfoot? *

* But the riddle-game cried out for full attention, it being impossible to get on with the day until its end, as so much was riding on the unresolved contest. If Bird won, it would be counted as a fine tale to be shared around a safe hearth over steaming mugs of spiced wine. But if Gandalf won, the look in that Ranger's eyes urging him South on the Greenway hinted that the eleven silver pennies Bird would earn in his employment would weigh far less on the scales of doom than the perils to be faced. *

Alas, I've outfoxed myself Bird, and composed a riddle with two answers. You answered "A River" ... Not the answer I had in mind, but I deem it apt enough to fit, if loosely.

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 08-28-2002, 12:07 AM   #373
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird laughed. At least the wizard was an honest riddler, agreeing that a puzzler might have more than one answer. Much as life, in a way.

"But what answer would you prefer, my dear Gandalf? Branch? Brook? Burn? Rill? Race? Run? Or Ditch, perhaps?"

Gandalf took his pipe from his mouth and blew a stream of smoke, which flowed straight through the air, then suddenly dropped straight down, to boil into a smoky pool on the ground before dissipating.

"True enough, my good Bird, a riddle may have more than one face behind it's mask; as can other things in life", and here the Wizard raised one bushy eyebrow and peered keenly at the skin-changer, who dropped her eyes and gave a small fidget. "The wizard may know more than I know he knows," she thought.

"You apparently saw the whole picture, whereas I was thinking of a small detail. 'Waterfall', was my answer, though I will allow that the riddle could describe a river in flood and drought, as well. The next round goes to you."

Bird wondered just how long the Riddle Game might go on. She had once watched two merchants conduct a Riddle Game for 14 hours in a tavern near Dale. Of course, the riddles and answers had become more and more nonsensical as the game progressed, ending in a draw as the two combatants dropped to the table and answered riddles in drunken dreams. It was too bad, in a way, because now Bird would never know why a raven was like a writing desk.

Which reminded Bird of some of the hysterical conundrums that she had heard at the tavern. These new types of riddles were distained by the "purist", but some were fiendishly clever. She wondered if the Wizard was a traditionalist or not, and decided to throw one in just to see the reaction.

A Wizard and Goose sat in a High Tower.
On various subjects they talked by the hour.
When suddenly the Wizard leaped up with a bound.
"By Eru!" he said "How will I get down?"

[ August 28, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-28-2002, 05:17 PM   #374
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Gandalf laughed heartily. By chance, he'd been just thinking of the song Holly and Bird had been singing several days ago, the one that started out: *

There were three ra'ens sat on a tree,
Down a down, hey down, hey down,
They were as black as black might be,
With a down.
The one of them said to his mate,
Where shall we our breakfast take?
With a down, derry, derry, derry down, down

My answer, Birdie, is this: By plucking the goose! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

If we're wandering further afield with our word puzzles, Bird, how about this question?

A small town in the Shire had two barbers. The first barber was slovenly, with wilting hair cut all uneven with patches sticking up and curls hanging down in odd places. The second barber was neat and clean, hair perfectly washed, cut, and combed. A passing Dwarf, needing his beard trimmed, chose the first barber. Why? Both barbers charged the same fee.

[ August 28, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 08-28-2002, 05:47 PM   #375
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

When Olo and Vorondil took their leave of her, Holly moved closer to the spirited match between the wizard and her friend. She watched the two jousters come at each other from varying angles. The skill with which each turned the riddles of the other amazed her.

Gandalf's eyes were twinkling in anticipation of Bird's reply and her next query.

And Bird! How she loved a game of quick wits and words! An inner fire lit the countenance of the small framed woman, making her larger than life.

Holly settled in, with a cup of chilled wine, to savor the flow of the contest.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:48 PM   #376
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird smiled inwardly at the thought of a "slovenly" Hobbit. Usually even the poorest Halfling was a very fastidious creature. But that wasn't the point of the riddle. And neither was the fact that her own hair was decidedly in need of a barber's help itself, come to think of it. And then it came to her. Of course! A barber wouldn't not be able to cut his OWN hair, now would he?

Leaning back in her chair, she helped herself to Holly's jug of wine, and said:
"Oh, it's elementary, my dear Gandalf. With only two barbers in the town, it stands to reason that each would cut the other's hair. The dwarf merely chose the barber with the better skills. Namely, the one who kept the second barber looking so clean and neat."

Here Birdie eyed the travel worn robe and the long, bushy hair of the wizard and stated "Appearances can be deceiving, can't they?"

(O.C.C. - I came up with that answer all by myself! With no help from the internet. Me so proud! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-29-2002, 04:05 PM   #377
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Estelarion heard the noise again in the woods...he had heard it twice before already. He saw Menelduliniel give a start next to him. She had done that twice before as well. However, whenever he asked if she had heard it, she denied it.

"You had to have heard that," Estelarion said, watching his companion sit staring into the fire.

"What? Heard what?" Menelduliniel said, with a start, feigning that she had been in concentration of some sort.

"Menelduliniel, I am going back. I care not that you think to desire solitude for...for I know not what." Estelarion rose and began packing his horse

"Wait! I was lying! I heard it!" Menelduliniel said, rising and running over and putting her hand on Estelarion's shoulder, "Just stay with me. Please. It was but the wind...in the trees. Yes, that is what it must have been."

Estelarion turned and saw panic in Menelduliniel's eyes. She would not stay out here alone. That gave Estelarion the hope he needed. If he left, she would follow him. No matter if she was angry, it would get them out of here.

Estelarion continued to put on his pack and mount up.

"Okay...if you must go you must..." Menelduliniel said, going back to the fire, great fear still apparent in her face. Estelarion's heart dropped a bit at her returning to the fire, but he continued to pack up. He finished, then mounted. He turned Amanroch and, as he did so, Menelduliniel ran to him.

"Wait! Wait! I will at least ride with you back...it is...aiya...hmm...not safe out there for you alone! Yes! Too dangerous!"

She quickly packed, put out the fire, and jumped onto Salkadome, galloping away from their campsite with Estelarion right next to her.

They galloped along for some time, until they saw the Inn ahead. They put their horses away, and decided to try to go over another entrance, in the hopes of not being seen. They walked around the side of the building, then were immediately confronted by many faces. They took a step back, surprised. Then, they heard laughter.

"Care to join us finally, you two?" Gandalf said, "I was wondering when you would show."

Embarrassed that the party had been there the whole time, the two Elves came and sat next to the others, listening to see what was going on. When they heard that riddles were being told, they smiled, and sat back to listen. Since neither were particularly good at riddles, they hardly tried to guess any, but listened, quite amused by the games.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:57 PM   #378
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

A dark shadow flew along the ground, on the stone patio, over the chairs and bodies of every one listening to the riddle game. A sudden flapping of wings drew everyone's eyes upwards, to see, with no little relief, Wyrd swooping out of the trees, low to the ground, and then around everyone. He seemed to want to land near Birdland, but at the last minute swerved away and contented himself with perching on the railing, as if he, too, had come to listen to the game play out.

A providential spectator? mused Gandalf.

[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 08-29-2002, 10:59 PM   #379
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Right you are, Birdie! I await your next riddle. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

* Outwardly, Gandalf maintained a pleasant and smiling demeanor. Inwardly, bemused frustration was overtaking him. He'd hoped to have lost this riddle-game long ago, but the more he set his mind to purposeful failure, the keener he became at seeing the correct answers. *

* Taking note of the gathering crowd and the passing of time, Gandalf ordered plates of chicken and potato salad along with ale be brought out for the assembly, which now included Holly, Meneli, Estelarion, and of course Bird and himself. Seeing Bethberry's falcon, Gandalf scribbled a brief note and sent Wyrd off to deliver it to his friend. The note explained how the riddle-game was faring, and that the Riverdaughter's Daughter was invited to share in the chicken dinner outside, or have a plate sent up to her room, as she wished. *

* Meanwhile, the riddle-game must continue. *

[ August 30, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 09-01-2002, 10:18 AM   #380
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird let her gaze return to the inn yard and the people in it, as she contemplated her next riddle. She saw that an audience had gathered around the riddle game.

She smiled at her friend Holly, and was startled to see even the flighty Menelduliniel had settled in to watch the proceedings. It certainly was an unusual band of traveling companions that she had stumbled into. And after the game was over, where would they all go?

Bird wondered at the number of women who seemed to wander the roads and paths of Middle Earth these days. By all accounts, most of them should have been settled in some safe town or farm, with families and duties to occupy them.

But plague and war, famine and fire had broken down all of the normal bindings of society. There were refugees trudging all over the lands, uprooted from their place, desperately seeking to build a life, in a land that had turned to quicksand.

Many of these refugees were women. Bird supposed that she should count herself in the party, but she had been homeless far longer than some. It seemed like a natural thing. Even women from settled communities, like Holly, could be found taking to a wandering life, perhaps inspired by the example of her less fortunate sisters.

For most of these lost and widowed women, while they did not exactly thrive in this new society, (who did?) were able to abide. Few gave up. Many excelled in their new situation, making their way in what had always been considered a "man's world."

But were they happy? If all were to turn around tomorrow, and peace and prosperity returned to Middle Earth again, would these women go back to their old way of life?

Bird lowered her head to ponder the situation. She did not often have the chance to sit quietly and consider her own situation, let alone the situation of all of womenkind.

Without knowing, she said to herself out loud:

"What is it that women most desire?"

[ September 01, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 09-01-2002, 03:59 PM   #381
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Menelduliniel looked up in surprise at the question. She sighed and chewed her lower lip, trying to think of the words to describe what she wanted.

"I-" she started, her voice fading off. She saw the others turn to look at her, and she tried to speak again, "I do not know what the others desire," she said, her voice faltering all the while, "But...I wish...I do not know how to put what I wish into words. I guess-I guess I wish most to belong. Yes, I wish to find a place where people do not close gates in my face because of deeds I have committed in my past. I know..." Menelduliniel paused a second, and drew in a long deep breath, then went on, "I know that killing her was wrong. I know not even why I did it: anger, sorrow, desperation, maybe all of these were reasons. I was younger and very stupid, I know. But...but I repent now. I hated that deed as soon as I committed it. I wished the knife were back in its sheath and not filled with that awful blood. I wish for a place where people could see that I hate the deed now...that they could see what their hatred has done to me and maybe, just maybe, find a way to love me again. But I know there is no hope for that. Poldorawen is dead, and I can never hope for redemption."

Menelduliniel paused, catching her breath, which was coming out in ragged gulps as she tried not to cry. Then she forced a whisper, "I wish for one more thing. I know-I know it is stupid but..." she paused before continuing, "I wish not to cry anymore."

Menelduliniel sat crying and listening to the others speaking. Estelarion awkwardly put a hand on Menelduliniel's back as she cried, looking incredibly uncomfortable.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:49 PM   #382
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Well, this woman most desires that dinner I heard was waiting for me, grinned Bethberry mischievously as she came upon the group gathered around the Riddle Game. Birdie and Gandalf, I commend you both for a marvellous entertainment. And please don't let me stop you. I promise to remain a silent observer here, not interfering with your riddles at all. Why, I'll even take a seat here by Holly in the hopes that she can show me any sketches from her morning walk.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:13 PM   #383
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

You've come to observe my silence then, Bethberry.

* Gandalf's smile blended mirth and solemnity. Now would be the perfect time for Gandalf to concede defeat, he realized. For any answer at all, even the correct one, would cheapen the priceless philosophical question to eleven silver pennies. The wizard bowed to the victor of the riddle-game. Reaching into his money-pouch, he retrieved eleven silver pennies and presented them to Birdland. *

Congratulations, Birdie! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2002, 09:49 PM   #384
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly scooted over on the bench to make way for Bethberry. The serving lass had previously brought out plates, cups, and cutlery for everyone, and now brought out the platters of chicken and bowls of potato salad to the great delight of both the riddlers and the hungry audience. Flagons of good ale were passed all round, along with a pitcher of hearty cider.

Holly raised her cup of foamy ale to Bird and winked. Then taking a large swallow of it, refilled the cup and raised it once again to Gandalf.

'So, Holly,' said Bethberry, chewing thoughtfully on a spoonful of the potato salad as her tongue tried to decipher the 'secret' herbs used in the dressing, 'I understand you were out this morning early to do some drawings - might I see them?'

'Of course! Come to my room a little later and I'll show them to you. The reflection of the trees in the water is lovely at that time of day as is the light that plays throught the branches and leaves them touched by a certain radiance.' She poured herself and Bethberry another cup of ale. 'Oh! And you should see the water ouzel that we discovered! I think I caught him well enough, but he moved so quickly underwater that I couldn't do a lot of detail. I had heard Gandalf knew something of birds - perhaps I might show him that drawing and he could give me some pointers.'
Old 09-03-2002, 11:02 PM   #385
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"Huh...? But Gandalf, that wasn't a ri..." At that moment, Holly nudged Birdie roughly in the ribs. "Owww!...I mean, 'Ahhhhh", as Birdie saw the eleven silver pennies slid across the table. "Well, Good Gandalf, many a man has been stumped by that riddle, even a certain King." Birdie rose, and curtsying prettily, took her leave from the table, clutching her coins.

Away from the crowd in the yard, though, she looked down at the pennies and mused, a bit sadly, "Now I suppose I shall never get to go to Rivendell."
Old 09-04-2002, 05:24 PM   #386
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Menelduliniel stopped crying quickly, and looked at Estelarion.

"Well, at least I do not feel completely stupid: I was able to answer that last question!" Menelduliniel said, forcing a laugh, "Although I was not part of the game...that felt good though. To get all of that off my chest. Mayb-maybe I'll be able to rest tonight, finally. Do you think so?"

Estelarion sighed, wishing that he were anywhere but here. "I don't know Menelduliniel," he said patting her hand, then he turned to the ale, very fed up with Menelduliniel's self-pity.

"Is there another game we can play, Gandalf, as Birdland has obviously won the game of riddles? A game we can all participate in, maybe? Or does the hour draw late enough that we must now to our beds to retire for the evening? Say that is not the case, for I am in no mood to end this night! Say, rather, that we may sing and play more!"

Estelarion looked around himself, and saw Menelduliniel looking at him with one eyebrow raised.

"What is it, Meneli?" Estelarion said, nonchalantly.

"You...you're so...happy...I have never seen you this happy," Menelduliniel admitted.

I have never before tried to forget your problems Meneli, Estelarion thought to himself, I have never thought about my own overwhelming desire to have a good time. If only you could see the beauty in the world, Menelduliniel, instead of your doom. I share that doom, but I, until our meeting, managed to remain joyful throughout it. We both will be trapped in this world forever, but it is such a beautiful world. We have games and music and joy. Oh, Menelduliniel, why can you not see it?

Estelarion dared not to say these things out loud, but rather got up, went over to his pack, got his flute, stood a bit away from the others, but not near to Birdland, as he saw she wanted peace alone, gesturing that the company may talk if they wanted, and began to play a merry tune on his flute. He noticed Menelduliniel still looking at him, amazed, and the others went about their business. Estelarion closed his eyes as he played and smiled to himself, enjoying every sensation that he experienced, reminding himself that he had all eternity to enjoy these simple pleasures...

[ September 04, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 09-06-2002, 11:43 AM   #387
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

(OOC: I could be wrong about this, VanimaEdhel, but I don't think the elves have got all eternity. They are tied to the earth and when Arda ends, they will go also. Humans, on the other hand, do die, but their afterlife is eternal. Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

The gentle notes of Estelarion's flute were inspiring, for soon could be heard itinerant musicians and locals warming up in the Great Hall of the Trade Inn. There would be fings and airs and reels galore in the Inn that night.

[ September 11, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 09-06-2002, 05:25 PM   #388
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

(OOC: I know, Bethberry: Estelarion is passionate and exaggerates. They have until the end of the world, but they know not what will happen to them after that...for all they know: they may go on after that. The Music of Ainur has fortold all of the end, but we do not know what the fate of the Elves is, as we do not know what the Music of Ainur planned for the Elves. Okay: back to the RPG...nothing new for my characters: just wanted to reply to Bethberry...)

[ September 06, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 09-07-2002, 01:55 PM   #389
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly followed Bird and watched her count the coins. She was just putting them into the small leather bag pulled from her skirt when the hobbit approached her.

'So, my wealthy friend, where are you bound for now?'

Bird shrugged, and tucked the bag once more into her waistband.

'I'm not sure myself.' mused the hobbit, kicking at a loose stone in the courtyard dirt. 'Have you heard where Gandalf is bound? Will it be to the castle?' She looked speculatively at the folk gathered in the yard, and sighed. 'I do grow weary of being in one place for so long. My feet are itching to feel the open road again. I intend to leave soon, perhaps tomorrow, or the next day at the latest. So, I suppose it matters not when the others are leaving or where they're bound.'

She heard Perry's soft whinny come from the stables. 'Well, best go see to my travelling companion. Shall I see you later?'

The hobbit walked toward the stables and called back over her shoulder, 'Oh, and I'll leave the window open should you have need of it tonight.'

[ September 07, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-07-2002, 05:09 PM   #390
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Menelduliniel turned to Gandalf.

"Well, Mithrandir, it seems as if all are planning on departing. I expect that Estelarion and I shall take our leave as the others do. It has been an...interesting few days, has it not been? I suspect that Estelarion and I will probably go where our footsteps take us. I think that, even though it shall take time, we may head Southwards, for I have always been curious about the lands of Harad. I know absolutely nothing of the land: of the climate, dangers, inhabitants, anything, and I do not believe Estelarion knows either. And, as I cannot be at home, I believe that exploring is probably the best I can do. What do you expect that you shall do, after we all go our separate ways?"

--------------------

Estelarion finished his song, and cheerfully put his flute away, sprung to his pack, put the flute away, sprung over to where Menelduliniel and Gandalf were, kissed Menelduliniel on the cheek, and sat down next to her. He quickly lost interest and got up, seeking someone with which to have his own conversation. He heard the others in the Trade Inn begin to play, smiled to himself, then continued looking for unoccupied people to talk to...
Old 09-11-2002, 02:43 PM   #391
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

The riddle-game had ended with a profitable clincher of silver for Bird, but the silver waterfalls of Imladris still beckoned. Holly’s sketches of ouzels sporting in gold-hued sunlit streams charmed onlookers, but tomorrow’s sun would cast new riches to seek out. Jewelled tones from Estelarion’s flute, Meneli’s voice, and the drums and harps of minstrels fell into a hush, yet words awaited adventures to come. Bethberry’s light steps slowed their dance under a pearly glow from the rising half-moon, but new direction would henceforth guide her path. The war steed Midnight took up an obsidian position on the lawn to ensure that the shortening of grass accompanied the shortening of day, though another day would lengthen the lawn. When the embers in Gandalf’s pipebowl dimmed, he tamped them out into the dirt of the continuing road. The motley group of travelling companions would leave the road, only to take to it again come morning. Rangers came and went, ever on patrol.