The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2002, 09:05 PM   #1
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting other posibilites

Im not sure if i should put this here or on newbs and newcomers but ill try it here.

Why did the ring have to be destroyed, i mean i know why, but wouldnt they have done somethign much easier, cause we see that Sauron did send the nazgul to get the ring and not orcs or some other creature, couldnt they have just tied a weight onto the ring and droped it inot the ocean? I dont think Sauron had anything that could go to the bottom of the ocean and actuially find the ring.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 09:25 PM   #2
elengil
Haunting Spirit

elengil has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

The ring had to be destroyed *not only* to keep Sauron from recovering it, but because so long as the Ring survives, so will Sauron, and as we all see at the battle before the Morannon, Sauron's forces were still mighty enough to have destroyed all of Middle Earth even without the Ring. He simply had the man-power.

The Ring had to be destroyed in order to once and for all destroy Sauron, and it was only by the destruction of the ring (and the convenient rescue by the eagles) that the army before the gates survived. Otherwise Aragorn, Elessar, Estel, Elfstone, ETC would've ended up dead too!
Old 09-28-2002, 11:06 PM   #3
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Just a thought... Are you in any way related to Boromir?! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2002, 03:08 AM   #4
Alatariel
Wight

Alatariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

And they said that even if they dropped it in the sea, it would still survive and after millions of years, the seas and lands would change, and it would turn up again somewhere else, possibly out of reach of the "goodies", so eventually Sauron would get it.
Old 09-29-2002, 06:29 AM   #5
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Nilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think that If thay dropped it in the sea,The story would not have been so good.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:42 AM   #6
Isilya
Wight

Location: At the bottom of a black hole. Actually, it's quite nice. Hey, is that Elvis?!
Isilya has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Isilya
Silmaril

Exactly, if they had just dropped it into the sea, the story wouldn't have been that great, or that long. Besides, eventually, I think that some sea creature (kraken, maybe?) would have been bended to Sauron's forces, and retrieved it.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:51 AM   #7
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
The Eye

Remember - "the Ring has a will of its own. It wants to be found." It would discover some way to be found by an evil creature that would gladly take it to Sauron.
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 10:42 AM   #8
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

On the creative side of things, if the ring was tied to an anvil and dropped to the sea, then it's most likely that a mermaid or some sea creature would find the ring. Concerning the anvil, the dwarves would be hailed as heroes of ME because of their contrbution of the anvil. As for the mermaid, or some other sea creature, then they would be corrupted because there would be no way for any of them to get to Mordor, unless Saurom would want to rule form the sea. If that would have happened, then ME or any place for that matter wouldn't exist because the seas would engulf ME and all the other places, and Sauron would rule.

Just sharing a stupid thought... forgive me if it sounds irritating. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote