The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2002, 01:59 PM   #41
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*blushes and bows*

I'm still here! But I'm more of a silent lurker than a chatter. Thank you Jessica Jade and Glenethor for the compliments on my old post! Glenethor, I really liked what you wrote at 3 am on March 15th! "..Evil cannot prevail.." -I got chills when I read that!
Old 03-25-2002, 04:44 PM   #42
pennhothwen

Silmaril

amyrlis - I too was touched by your description of what it means to be a fan of Tolkien. The evening at dusk is indeed my favorite time of day. As for the rest... I cannot hope to be so eloquent, but I feel just exactly that way. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Might I add also that I agree with everyone else who said that if there was a way to get to Middle Earth right now, I would have not a moment's indecision about leaving all behind and going there forever, just as I am, although I'd much rather find myself transformed into an elf [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Truthfully, now: would any of us rather stay here, in this pain-infested world, if there were the choice instead of going to reside amid the matchless beauty and harmony of Middle Earth? I think not.

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: pennhothwen ]

[ March 25, 2002: Message edited by: pennhothwen ]
Old 03-29-2002, 09:23 PM   #43
Midgardsormen
Animated Skeleton

Midgardsormen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi everyone, I have not posted here before, but I would just like to give my view. I think that many of us were 'Tolkien fans' for years without doing much about it...I read the books every couple of years and they have always been among my favourite...and then the movie came!! It did not so much change my perception of the books, although I now have a much clearer 'face' to put on the characters...what the movie did (besides create lots of new fans) was make us long-time fans realise that we were not alone, and that there were people out there we could discuss our passion with!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2002, 04:56 AM   #44
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

amyrlis - you should become a poet (or you might be one already [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]). It's a great description of being a Tolkien-fan, no way I can put down such words.
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 02:02 PM   #45
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Me - a poet!?! Wow! You guys are all so nice! I love poetry, and wouldn't it be wonderful to sit by a stream and create verse all the time? Alas, I am a desk-ridden and quite uncreative Enginerd. Not sure where I got the inspiration for that post - well, actually I guess I got the inspiration from Tolkien - his writing is one of the few things that moves me is such ways! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

pennhothwen - glad to see that you too seek that elusive "wardrobe" into Middle Earth!
Old 04-16-2002, 05:10 AM   #46
genna

Eye

I do not know what it means to be a fan, but seeing how engrossed and at peace you guys are i cant wait to be one poperly. It truly is magical and can perhaps lead me to a better place.
(I sound insane) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] help me to become 1
Old 04-16-2002, 06:31 AM   #47
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Becoming an admirer of Tolkien's work is to allow yourself to be lost in his world. His ability to create new worlds is passed on to us, his readers, as we imagine them.
Though I have not read much (as I have said for God knows how many times), I have yet to be lost in.

[ April 18, 2002: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 08:57 PM   #48
The Noldor Hobbit

Pipe

"`Some, Galdor,' said Gandalf, `would think the tidings of Glóin, and the
pursuit of Frodo, proof enough that the halfling's trove is a thing of great
worth to the Enemy. Yet it is a ring. What then? The Nine the Nazgűl keep. The
Seven are taken or destroyed.' At this Glóin stirred, but did not speak. `The
Three we know of. What then is this one that he desires so much?"

--Gandalf, At the Council of Elrond
Old 05-01-2002, 05:13 PM   #49
Lanniae of the Axe
Haunting Spirit

Lanniae of the Axe has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Whoa.

Being a Tolkien fan?

That is one of the questions of life. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

It's when you pour over the Books night and day, when you compare addicting drugs to the One Ring, when you start to look for the qualities of your favorite LOTR characters in people you choose to date, when you get all the little Burger King action figures even though you're too old to play with them, when you have pics from the movie all over your wall, when you have two copies of the Books (one for highliting and dog-earing and one you almost never take down it is so, well, PRECIOUS to you), when you spend half of your day on theonering.net and the other half on the barrowdowns, when you write fanfiction up the wahzoo, when you, well, when you get the Tshirt off the onering.net that has the "Top Ten Signs You Are a Tolkien Fan" on it (including such sayings as 'applying rogaine to your feet to appear more hobbitish' and 'changing your name to Strider and hang around taverns pestering short people').

Wow, that was a long sentance! Go me, guys!

Being a Tolkien fan is just well...

It's more than obsession.

It's more than lust. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

It's more than just plain sick.

It's just, well, being a Tolkien fan!

*Speaking of this, today in school we had to do an English excersize that was all about JRR Tolkien and LOTR! It was a lovely experiance, although now I look back on it, people were probably laughing at me, gasping for air as I was amidst the verbs and adjectives!* [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2002, 03:04 AM   #50
Midgardsormen
Animated Skeleton

Midgardsormen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

LOL Lanniae!!
That was a very good reply!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
The problem with being a fan is that noone really understands you except the other fans [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And most jobs/schools only seem to harbour one fan of your discription...my job only has me!! Oh,it has people who enjoyed the film and that have read the book (but only once)....but they do not start laughing and recollecting scenes every time someone says something remotely similar to the book or the movie!! And instead of envying you for having seen the movie 6.7,8 times they calculate how much money you have spent [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Oh well, at least we have boards like this so that we can 'meet' other fans - Yeah!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]