The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-22-2002, 11:44 PM   #1
Lord Syslox of Emyn Beverli
Pile O'Bones

Lord Syslox of Emyn Beverli has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Boromir's end

I felt sorry for Boromir, the moment I saw him, on screen. The way the director (Peter Jackson, i believe), portrayed his last battle was quite moving. I believe it more than makes up for his temptation for the Ring (which is understandable).<P>I had never liked Boromir in the books, starting from his arrogance at the council of Elrond where he wanted the Ring to be used as aweapon. Having his last battle played out on the screen gave me a different view of him and I believe what Aragorn says to him is true: "You have not lost your honour."<P>Any comments?
Old 01-22-2002, 11:53 PM   #2
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

The way Sean Bean played the part was stellar. He brought Boromir to life like no one else could have.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 03:47 AM   #3
Starsong

Sting

yeah, the Boromir in the book was really unlikeable. When I watched the movie, I started to understand why he was so desperate for the Ring. My impression of him really changed when the fellowship arrived at Lothlorien. <P>Sean Bean brought out the enormity of Boromir's responsibilities - saving Gondor. You could almost feel his fears and his hopelessness, just from his voice.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:08 PM   #4
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Yes, exactly.<BR>I never really liked Boromir when reading the books but the movie really gives me better picture of him. He's almost my new favourite in FOTR. The actor what ever his name was really is excellent, thoe I pictured him with a larger beard (but he's better this way).
Old 01-24-2002, 12:50 PM   #5
Enkanowen
Haunting Spirit

Enkanowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sean Bean is an amazing actor, I actually believe he could have been cast as Aragorn, but it was the right choice, he makes Boromir's character extremely strong, i loved his performance
Enkanowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 12:53 PM   #6
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I liked Boromir, in the FOTR book. I think he reacted to the ring, like must men would. At the council of Elrond, I thought in the book, Boromir's part was perfect. Not everybody is as wise as the rest. And Boromir was no different. He grew up a warrior and had a warrior's mind. And I liked his reaction to Frodo at first, being the Ringbearer ad all was perfect too. And at the end of Boromir's life, it made you realize how powerful the ring truly was.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:21 PM   #7
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Wow! I can't belive so many people had the same reaction as me. Like most of you in the books I thought Boromir was just another powerhungry obsticle. I didn't change my mind though till when they got to Lothlorien in the movie. Before than Sean Bean did a great job showing us all Boromer's tempted side. On the mountain when he gives Frodo the ring back and ruffles his hair. By than I was so angry at Boromir that I wanted to strangle him. But once he started to cry in Lorien I relized all this wasn't his falt. I conclude with saying that I now think of Boromir as a strong, brave man.
Old 01-27-2002, 01:08 PM   #8
MenRWeak
Pile O'Bones

MenRWeak has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My favorite character hands down in the movie and I can't say that I disliked any of them. I too was never a Boromir fan in the book or the animated version of the tale.<P>The scene where Boromir speaks to himself in a low voice on the mountainside after scooping the ring from the snow was one favorite for me. That coupled with Aragorn's hand on the hilt of his sword really amplified the danger the ring represented. I don't recall this scene in the book. A PJ addition perhaps...

You can prove your point without being immature and a snit. - EOL
MenRWeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
I love movie Boromir but hated book Boromir. I read the books after the movies.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote