The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2010, 03:31 AM   #201
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
May I propose we all start to wander online sometime around 20.00/8.00 GMT (Hookbill & Eönwë time)? That's 11.00 Laurinquë time, 12.00 TGEW time, and 21.00 Pitchwife time. Is this all right with you? And if we want to read aloud, well, it's all open to suggestion.
But... that's during the Germany vs. Uruguay game. Is that such a good idea?

About 2 hours later would probably be better if you want more people to join. Just saying.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #202
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I will definitely not be online during the game tonight, and I'll have to wait and see what happens (= how long it takes and whether I'm still awake enough afterwards), so I'm not making any promises. I would also have to figure out how it all works, which could be a problem for this Skypie newbie at that time of day...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #203
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I'm going to be backpacking this weekend, so won't be around for reading.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #204
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post

About 2 hours later would probably be better if you want more people to join. Just saying.
Wait. Are you telling me that I got up this morning for nothing? You're making us wait for football. . . Two whole hours.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #205
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Wait. Are you telling me that I got up this morning for nothing? You're making us wait for football. . . Two whole hours.
I just thought it best to warn you early so that you don't go online and find out that everyone's gone to watch football. At least now you know why people won't be online.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #206
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
I just thought it best to warn you early so that you don't go online and find out that everyone's gone to watch football. At least now you know why people won't be online.
Well, all right. Not all of us will be watching football, though. Might as well get on Skype anyway. Just in case.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #207
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:

Huh. Well, as I'm not a football fan I guess I'll just have to sit around waiting for you to come online. I got up at 9.55 for this! And that's very early by my summer standards you know. We could always postpone it to a later date I suppose.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:55 PM   #208
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Huh. Well, as I'm not a football fan I guess I'll just have to sit around waiting for you to come online. I got up at 9.55 for this! And that's very early by my summer standards you know. We could always postpone it to a later date I suppose.
I suppose that we could always wait two hours two. We've already waited one. Is another one going to kill us?
Old 07-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #209
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Skyping is happening now. Though, no Tolkien topics as of yet.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #210
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Germany won the game! However, it's way too hot to sit upstairs at my computer, so I will take a rain check and hope it works out next time. Have fun!!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #211
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

"In Soviet Russia, Barrow Downs goes on you!"

It was the best way we could find to spend seven hours on a Saturday afternoon. Some people were wise enough to leave the madness early, but others were foolish and stuck around until the end. I think the part that was most on-topic was after everyone but TheGreatElvenWarrior, Loslote, and myself had left. We read the end of Mount Doom! Most of the time it was utter nonsense though; Barrow-Downs jokes, Jethro Tull referencing, the whole thing. I only wish it could have lasted longer.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #212
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

We had our Skyping madness. And now it's over. It was quite fun, I think anyway. We started off with Lottie, Lauri, and myself. We had a lovely conversation with Alaskan Downers adding sally soon after. We did some talking about non-Tolkien related things and decided to bother some other Downers to join. This is where Hookbill joined in. We typed for about five minutes when Eönwë joined after his football game.
We chatted about nothings and Jelly Babies for probably half an hour before the actual call started. Most of it was off-topic, so I will not go into it here, but we did read some poems and songs from The Lord of the Rings. That bit was fun but we soon got off topic again. The joys of Skype!
Anyway, Hookbill left early and Lottie had to leave for some time. But it was fun anyway. We probably kept Eönwë up a bit too long, though.
As Lauri said: the most on topic we got was when there were just us Alaskans left.

It was grand and I only look forward to doing another in the near future.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #213
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
[URL="http://www.bringvictory.com"]James has been assimilated.[/URL]

Skype was epic. We read a few poems and songs at the very beginning, and we kept the British-type people up later than we probably should have. I missed part at the beginning, but otherwise was there for most of it. We had a ton of fun. Alas, Steve did not bring out his saxaphone, but there was a good reason for this. My nose was bitten off by Sally, who was upset with me for my continual dying (coughing). We lost The Game rather often (I just lost The Game) and the others disscussed Doctor Who and such incomprehensible things. (Next time, guys, I'm going to start off on Australian Rules Football - then you'll be just as lost. ) Steve abducted TGEW, and Sally was upset that he didn't take her, too. Steve also decided to make a dictionary with his own personal definitions for everything, leaving out words he doesn't want (such as gullible). Twas epically fun!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:45 AM   #214
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Eonwe didn't really take me with him in his TARDIS, but I wish he would have.

I think that in the event we all ended up changing the subject line and conversation picture waay too many times.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #215
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ah, sorry I couldn't participate this time! I'm still recovering from a nasty stomach infection and was in no condition to post or talk much for most of the past four days. Anyway, congratulations on pulling it off once again, and I'm naturally dying with curiosity to hear any recordings you may have made!
Old 07-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #216
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Ah, sorry I couldn't participate this time! I'm still recovering from a nasty stomach infection and was in no condition to post or talk much for most of the past four days. Anyway, congratulations on pulling it off once again, and I'm naturally dying with curiosity to hear any recordings you may have made!
That's too bad, Pitchie. We missed you.
I actually don't think that we made any recordings this time around. The conversation sort of went like this:
Eönwë
"Is anybody recording this?"
Hookbill
"I have some recording software on my laptop, but I don't feel like getting it out right now."
Eönwë
"Oh, well. . .(gives suggestion)"
Hookbill
"I don't have that on my computer; it's a desktop."

So those in the group who could actually operate technology couldn't do anything, so we didn't record.

Actually, for further reference, I think that Skype has a recording software that you can download onto your computer. I'm not sure how it works or how well, but we might consider using that next time if somebody want to test it out.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:13 AM   #217
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
We did indeed miss you. I wanted to read Fog on the Barrow-Downs, but without you as Bombadil I couldn't find the will to convince everyone to do it.

Quote:
That's too bad, Pitchie.
Actually, for further reference, I think that Skype has a recording software that you can download onto your computer. I'm not sure how it works or how well, but we might consider using that next time if somebody want to test it out.
I tried that time before last. It's utter rubbish. Oh well, somethings are better left unrecorded. . .
Old 07-12-2010, 04:37 AM   #218
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
I tried that time before last. It's utter rubbish. Oh well, somethings are better left unrecorded. . .
You don't think that Doctor Who and Beatles references are material for a Tolkien Discussion Forum? Rubbish!
Old 07-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #219
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Oh no! Double posting.

When is the next feasible date that we could have another call? I'd, personally, like to have another soon. But whatever works for all you other Skypers.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #220
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

It should probably be this or next weekend... We'll see see if I can make it.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #221
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

This weekend would be fine with me, but it is a bit of short notice... Perhaps next?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:11 PM   #222
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Next weekend would be great for me, as that's the week I work my second, shorter job.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #223
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'm afraid I'm going to be too busy this weekend, and absent on the next.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #224
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I believe that we wanted to do another Skype call this weekend. Were we going to arrange this, and who would be participating if we did do it this weekend?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:59 AM   #225
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Auuugh. I might have something next Saturday, I don't know yet. I might have to miss this one.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #226
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Auuugh. I might have something next Saturday, I don't know yet. I might have to miss this one.
If nobody can be there on one weekend, we'll just do it the next. However, we'll need to find a good date for most, if not all Skypers.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #227
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

I'm okay for any Sunday for as far as the eye can see.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #228
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

See above - I'll be away from my computer from tomorrow till Sunday evening. But go ahead and have fun!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #229
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

We could always do it next weekend. If we are going to do something this weekend we better get a move on planning it.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #230
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
You didn't do it yet? I'm going to have skip spence (and Greenie) here, starting tomorrow, and if you do it at any other time than Saturday night, I could try to convince them to join.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #231
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

As far as I can tell, I'm open for basically any time...
Old 08-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #232
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Aganzir, that would be for this weekend, or next? If it is this, then we could do it on Sunday.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #233
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Aganzir, that would be for this weekend, or next? If it is this, then we could do it on Sunday.
I have stuffs Sunday morning, but after one-ish I should be available. That might be too late at night for the Finn-type people, though.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #234
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This weekend. We're GMT +2 (EST -7) and could probably stay up quite late, although the earlier the better.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:53 AM   #235
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
This weekend. We're GMT +2 (EST -7) and could probably stay up quite late, although the earlier the better.
Therefore you're two hours ahead of my watch. How about 20.00 or 21.00 GMT? Should be late enough for Alaskans and not too late for Finns.

I guess that any time we use would be fine, just as long as it's not Eönwë Standard Time.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #236
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Therefore you're two hours ahead of my watch. How about 20.00 or 21.00 GMT? Should be late enough for Alaskans and not too late for Finns.
Perfect for me!

Quote:
I guess that any time we use would be fine, just as long as it's not Eönwë Standard Time.
But isn't Eönwë Standard Time = GMT? Or is that a reference to his personal biorhythm?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #237
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
But isn't Eönwë Standard Time = GMT? Or is that a reference to his personal biorhythm?
He does not operate on GMT, but his own time zone. The rumour is that he doesn't actually ever sleep, but is always up and at his computer.

Anyway, that's good that it works for you. How far ahead of GMT are you, Pitch?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #238
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
How far ahead of GMT are you, Pitch?
Two hours with the daylight saving. But I'm on annual leave, so I don't have to worry about getting up early on Monday (except that my wife will make me pay if I'm not functioning by Monday noon, but I can live with that).
Old 08-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #239
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Two hours with the daylight saving. But I'm on annual leave, so I don't have to worry about getting up early on Monday (except that my wife will make me pay if I'm not functioning by Monday noon, but I can live with that).
All right.
Do you think that we have enough Downers to have a call?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #240
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

So far it looks like it's Agan (+skip +Greenie?), Lottie, you and me (unless I've forgotten someone); sounds good enough to start with, doesn't it?