The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2004, 10:10 AM   #241
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

High King Fingolfin has just left Hobbiton.
Question

This thread has been abandoned! Where are you all? Nobody has posted for more than a month!
Old 11-01-2004, 08:34 AM   #242
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Ah, dear Fingolfin, I have debated long and hard with myself about whether to continue this thread. I think that, perhaps, its time has come and it should be given a proper burial.

I often go back and read the thread in its entirity yet I cannot think of anything worthy to add to it. Maybe I could write a lament for the thread?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:59 PM   #243
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Shield Once upon a midnight dreary...

Aw goddess, at least someone is the equal activists tonight. i was always wonderring when the Wargs would get the limelight.

As a child i believed that my angry-psedo 70-year-old neighbor next door had a Warg in his back yard. Turns out it was two very old and equally angry neighbor dogs that look exactly like Hyenas, except they liked cheeto's and belly rubs (Everyone on que say "Aww!")... i found that out on a mistake crossing into my neighbor's back yard. i don't know why, but i've had this creepy magnetic connection with animals. My friend thinks it is funny to go to the zoo and watch as the monkey's yell with enthusiasm and throw fruit at the glass wall in my direction ... i don't get it. I never harmed them...
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:00 AM   #244
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Beware, Ka , the warg is not a creature in whose affairs you may meddle flippantly. Wargs are noble beasts, with a lineage greater than all in Middle Earth. The story is so rarely told, but Eomer , I pray for a small time before this thread is laid to rest so that I may post a tale which has no rival: The Last King of Wargs . What say you, Horsemaster?
Old 11-03-2004, 03:16 PM   #245
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Well, it almost goes without saying that this is a tale that should, nay, must be told Samwise.

And where better to tell it, than on The Warg and Warg Rider Appreciation Thread!
Old 11-03-2004, 06:04 PM   #246
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Pipe The difference from Passive and Active Verbs and other such verb non-sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseGamgee
Beware, Ka , the warg is not a creature in whose affairs you may meddle flippantly. Wargs are noble beasts, with a lineage greater than all in Middle Earth. The story is so rarely told, but Eomer , I pray for a small time before this thread is laid to rest so that I may post a tale which has no rival: The Last King of Wargs . What say you, Horsemaster?

I spoke in a passive voice. In other words, i was not imposing the view of be-littleing Wargs, only telling factual events that i am a part of. I hope you observe this reply without feeling a means for threat, or imposing anger. I wish only to explain.

Thank you,

THE Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 07:51 AM   #247
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Quote:
"Though I live to be older than the mountains and wiser than the Valar themselves I will never undestand how men can see wisdom in war."
From The Last King of Wargs

The Ka , please accept my apology, but also try to understand my caution. Here at The Warg and Warg Rider Appreciation Thread we have grown naturally cautious of those who would seek to poison and destroy the good name of wargs. But greetings are exteded to you.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:01 AM   #248
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots The Guardians of Men

As is told in The Silmarillion the first Men were awoken in the east of Middle-earth at the rising of the Sun. What is not told is the dramatic near-miss that the unwoken Men, and the Valar, went through.

Melkor was indeed preoccupied in those days. However, the Valar were not so confident in themselves that they could not doubt that the Dark Lord had plans in motion. Long he had sought for the resting place of Men and he found it after much peril and trickery. The Valar possibly did not realise that he had found it, and thus did not intervene in Melkor's ambitions. However, there were others who knew of Melkor's plans.

There was one Eldanar (no-one knows if this was his right name), an Elf of Middle-earth. It was believed that he was of the Nandor, those who chose not to depart their homeland for the Blessed Realm. He was an unhappy being. His life had been much harder than the lives of other Elves, and he was respected and given great sympathy by the Elves he knew. However, he never became close to many others, and for this reason he found it hard to summon allies, thought no-one bore him any ill-will. This Eldanar had stumbled upon Melkor's intention by accident, after speaking with the birds and the beasts all over the land. He sensed an opportunity to do a great deed, and began preparations.

You see, Melkor had designed to greet the awakening Men, and ensnare them into his service right from the start. The Elves of Middle-earth could sense that great things were happening, they had all heard rumours of the 'Followers', and they wished to meet them and help them. Eldanar saw that he needed to act quickly if he were to save Men from the Dark One.

But for the reasons given before, Eldanar could not summon enough allies to even challenge Melkor. So it was that, at the rising of the Sun, the Elf left home to travel into the East with a small host. Eldanar's gloom was apparent, and he saw no hope for Men.

He arrived at the designated point to witness the great host of Melkor congregated in a gigantic lush valley. The skies were dark, despite the Sun, and Eldanar beheld from afar the huge and terrible form of the Dark Lord himself, waiting for the great awakening.

Melkor saw the Elves and laughed out loud. It was indeed a pitiful host compared to his. With him were many Orcs and fell creatures and beasts, and even three Uruloki. If battle were to commence, it was to be swift and decisive in the favour of Melkor. But Eldanar did indeed desire battle, for he desired the end of his unhappy life and he greeted hesitantly the opportunity to go out fighting the great enemy.

But the Men would not awaken. Whether by some design from the Creator or the collective will of his greatest servants the Valar, the Men stayed in their slumber. And this time afforded a chance so unlikely to the Elves, that they barely took part in the upcoming battle, so shocked and frozen were they by the events that unfolded.

From the South came an almighty host of Wargs, and these Wargs were great in size and majesty. Their speed stunned Melkor and he fled in terror. His Orcs were utterly slaughtered by the furious Wargs and those that fled were mostly slain by the Elves. The Uruloki engaged in tumultuous warfare with the Wargs but they could not defeat them, great and terrible though they were, and in the end these huge demons had to flee for their lives as well. None could withstand the fury that the Wargs brought with them.

When asked, Eldanar could not tell how many Wargs had arrived. They were apparently countless. Eldanar himself could barely watch the unfolding carnage of the battle, but several Elves afterwards said that no fury could ever compare to that displayed by the Wargs against Melkor and his minions.

Thus Men could awake, and this story surely details the great irony that followed, of the poor treatment given to the Wargs by Men ever after.

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 12-23-2004 at 09:04 AM.
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:52 AM   #249
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Wonderful, Eomer! It indeed shows that without the Wargs we would be indeed destroyed.

My own tale of Wargs, which I have delayed for so long, will come soon!
Old 12-23-2004, 12:52 PM   #250
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

I found them! They were indeed where I thought they were, in a large local park near my house which has a substantial prairie and woods. As I have stated previously, I had been searching there for a long time but had not found anything but a solitary Warg footprint. This time, I was near to giving up when I noticed several Warg footprints - indeed a trail of them. They lead to a clearing in the forest. Many were the Wargs gathered, there were probably fifty. The black one with the grey star was apparently the leader of this clan of Wargs. All of them were winged. I was extremely lucky that none of them noticed me, otherwise I would not be writing today.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:54 PM   #251
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

I don't think you managed to hide from them. Wargs can see just about everything. My guess is that they sensed you were a keen investigator and did not mean any harm.

Last edited by Eomer of the Rohirrim; 12-23-2004 at 04:55 PM. Reason: My chronic inability to fly.
Eomer of the Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 07:34 AM   #252
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

True, Eomer. I've been doing some research on these winged wargs of your's, Fingolfin, and my results have been most interesting. It would appear that these wargs are in fact the result of a failed genetic experiment carried out by the great warg scientist, Dr. John M. Barnes. Dr. Barnes was trying to create 'the perfect warg' when there was an explosion in his lab and the five wargs he had been working on escaped. It is believed that these wargs bred and there is now a thriving sub-species of warg. Research does not show that these winged wargs can actually fly, though. Have you anything to rebut that, Fingolfin?
Old 12-24-2004, 11:12 AM   #253
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Indeed, they do Samwise! If you will check my earlier tales, you will find that I did see winged Wargs flying.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:39 PM   #254
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Apologies, Fingolfin, I find on closer inspection of previous posts you have indeed alluded to the flight of the winged warg- or, indeed, explicitly referred to it! Anyway, this another fine example of the world of science lying blatantly about our beloved wargs. Probably to try and make us love them less. That, Dr. Science, will not be happening!
Old 01-26-2005, 02:02 PM   #255
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

The Last King of Wargs
For countless generations there have dwelled in the great halls of the Grey Mountains wargs. These, however, were no normal wargs- if such a phrase can ever be used regarding such a magnificent beast. They were the greatest of all beasts: wise, noble, caring and patient to all of Eru’s creatures were they.

The greatest of all these wargs at any given time was the High King. Back at the dawn of Middle earth, so warg-lore tells, Ulmo had blessed the first High King: Khur-ul-na. Khur-ul-na the Great ruled for many lives of men and was the wisest and greatest of all warg lords. He ruled in his palace city of Ilanti until great age took him.

The warg High Kings ruled in peace until the time of Khrak-ma-va the Ruthless. Khrak-ma-va was the great great grandson of Khur-ul-na, and he had a great vision: one glorious, united kingdom of wargs, It was Khrak-ma-va who established the Council of Ilanti- a group of representatives from each of the nine tribes of wargs. The tribes were rebellious, though, and strong-willed. It was his breaking of them that earned Khrak-ma-va his title ‘the Ruthless’.

“History will judge me as it sees fit, but I have done what was necessary for my people,” were the last words Khrak-ma-va spoke before he succumbed to the poison which had entered him by the treachery of the Council, having ruled the united kingdom for ninety-nine years.

Upon his death Khrak-ma-va was replaced not by his son, the rightful heir to the throne of Ilanti, but by Rkhla, leader of the assassination. The rightful king, Khlu-ka-ra, was forced into exile, and there followed his most faithful servants, but most wargs tarried in Ilanti, for they were loathe to leave that beautiful city. The line of Khur-ul-na remained strong, though it would be a great time till it returned to Ilanti.

In the absence of the true kings the history of Ilanti is black. Only one year after becoming king, Rkhla, known also as ‘the Pretender’, dissolved the Council of Ilanti and declared himself Great High King of all wargs. All was not as well as Rkhla would have liked, though: he was without son. It was in desperation that Rkhla the Pretender made a dark pact with Melkor. Rkhla allowed his mate to be ravished by Carcaroth, great lord of werewolves, and by the Dark Lord’s magic a child was born, and he was named Kharak. The exploits of this fell beast are well documented, and his evilness and treachery were darker than any warg’s before or since. Kharak ruled many years and his reign was both great and terrible. All feared him, and he ruled with an iron rod.

Kharak, though, was only a mortal, and when he was felled by an elven arrow in a great battle north of Mirkwood many of his sons followed him in death, though one son was left, and so it was that the new self-proclaimed Great High King was Mhrak. He would be the last usurper to sit upon the throne of Ilanti, and his time came in only the second year of his reign, when Khra-na-ti the Restorer came to the gates of Ilanti.

“I am Khra-na-ti, heir of Khur-ul-na the Great and rightful High King of Ilanti. I call to you now, Mhrak, to give up the throne to your king,” he called. There was no answer, but then suddenly and swiftly through the gate came Mhrak, a fury in his eyes. There, on the Steps of Ulmo outside the gates of the city of Ilanti fought the two great wargs. Mhrak was strong and able, but the blood of Khur-ul-na the Great flowed in the veins of the Restorer and so it came to pass that he dealt the death blow to Mhrak and strode into the city, the line of Khur-ul-na the Great restored. The line of Rkhla was not broken, though, and Mhrak’s son, Kharak, became King of Moria.

For many generations the High Kings of Ilanti lived in peace and prosperity. The Council of Ilanti was re-established and remained pure. They had few comings or goings with the outside world, for they had grown weary of the treachery and evil so rife around them. For a thousand generations the High Kings of Ilanti sat on their thrones and turned their faces away from the troubles of Middle Earth. It was in the years before the Battle of Dale that things changed, when news came to the High King Khra-tha-la that a dark alliance had been formed between the wargs of Moria, the usurpers, and the dark tower of Dol Guldur. Khra-tha-la knew not exactly what this meant, but he knew it to be wholly evil, so on that day he left the city of Ilanti for Rivendell.

His journey was long and dangerous, for many he encountered realised not that there were yet some wargs pure of heart left in the northern reaches of Middle Earth. Indeed, when he drew near to Rivendell he may have been slain were it not for the fact that one of the elven sentries recognised this noble beast. Generations before, Khra-tha-la’s forefathers had saved the elves from attack whilst in exile. Kharak the Great had later claimed this act of bravery he had commanded, but this sentry, Manolas was his name, knew differently.

And so it came to pass that Khra-tha-la held council with Elrond and the two discussed the meaning of this dark alliance. Elrond spoke of a wizard, an Istar from Eru, who suspected that the Dark Lord Sauron was afoot, and that Dol Guldur was his stronghold. Khra-tha-la spoke of Kharak the Great’s treachery and his alliance with Melkor, and so the dark inevitability of the situation dawned upon them. Khra-tha-la offered his services to Elrond, but the Lord of Rivendell bid the High King return to Ilanti and make his people strong, for there would surely come a day when that strength would be called upon.

Khra-tha-la tarried but a few days longer in Rivendell and then made his journey back to Ilanti. When he returned he called the Council to himself and so they decided that the work would begin immediately to strengthen Ilanti and prepare an army.

For many years the wargs prepared themselves and made themselves strong, and yet there was no word from Rivendell. Some grew weary with this state of alert over what they thought nothing, and so the Council urged Khra-tha-la to relent and allow the city to return to normal. The High King was loathe to do so, but his Council had told him what his people wished, and he was a gracious king. He allowed the city to return to normal save but a few of the finest warriors who he appointed the Royal Guard and had trained further.

Finally Khra-tha-la’s faith in the elves was repaid when a messenger came to the gates of Ilanti from Lothlorien, bringing the word of Lord Celeborn and bidding the High King to join in the destruction of Dol Guldur. Immediately Khra-tha-la and the Royal guard readied themselves and rode forth from Ilanti, even allowing the elven messenger to ride upon their backs. And so the High King’s host came to the River Anduin and there tarried for the Lord Celeborn. He arrived not, though, and growing impatient Khra-tha-la rode upon Dol Guldur.

“I am Khra-tha-la, High King of wargs and servant of Ulmo. Come forth, fell beasts and usurpers, and taste my wrath!” called the High King from the tower’s gates. Almost immediately a host of wargs plunged forth and there did battle with the Kinghost. Both sides suffered heavy casualties, and soon all that remained were three wargs, all of the host of Khra-tha-la. Believing victory was his, the High King stepped towards the tower, but was stopped immediately by a terrible screech in his ears, and as he looked up he saw a terrible winged beast with a black rider on its back. He had heard Elrond refer to these creatures- this was one of the nazgul.

The rider swooped down and destroyed both of Khra-tha-la’s companions almost immediately, landing in front of the High King and dismounting. He drew his great, black sword and raised it, “Die now, weakling,” he said, raising the blade, and at that moment Khra-tha-la had a vision, and in it the Lord Ulmo showed him the mighty, dark waves of a storm and yet how a small boat can survive in these billows. In that moment Khra-tha-la lunged forward and landed his mighty paws upon the chest of the ringwraith. A great cold seized his body and he knew he must act swiftly while the Lord Ulmo still helped him, and so he sank his fangs deep into the throat of his foe. Many great minds have since supposed what happened next. Even Lord Celeborn was dumbfounded when he found what had happened, but it is clear that Khra-tha-la, the last king of wargs, on that day killed a nazgul by the grace of Eru.

Days passed and Khra-tha-la lay next to the spot where he had felled the ringwraith, mortally wounded. The fell beast upon which the black rider had sat had long fled. The dark magic which flowed in the nazgul had injured the High King Khra-tha-la beyond repair, and when Lord Celeborn found the great warg there was little life left in the noble beast. Celeborn knelt down next to him and began to weep.

“Surely you, most noble and great of warg kings, Khra-tha-la have sacrificed more than many would dare dream of giving up. My people shall forever be indebted to you,” spoke Celeborn.

“I am the last of my forefather’s line. My kinsfolk have all perished here with me today. Surely I have brought ruin upon my people,” spake the High king, his heart heavy.

“No, noble lord, you have done as you were called to,” comforted Celeborn, “such is the nature of war.”

“Though I live to be older than the mountains and wiser than the Valar themselves I will never understand how men can see wisdom in war,” spoke Khra-tha-la, and with those words his spirit left him and so the line of Khur-ul-na the Great failed. The united kingdom of wargs failed and they each returned to their own tribes and cities, leaving the city of Ilanti to ruin. Still, though, there are those who believe that the Lord Ulmo shall bless another and the throne of Ilanti shall be reclaimed by the High King.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:15 AM   #256
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

What an intriguing tale Samwise. It fully portrays the complex nature of Wargs. The ease of corruption, yet the ability to perform noble acts the like of which are rarely seen. It also suggests that Wargs were not given a fair reflection in the tales of the battles and politics of the Third Age of Middle-earth. One thinks that, because so many Wargs did fight on the side of evil, it has led the writers of history to ignore those Wargs who contributed so much good to the world.

Perhaps that is why Celeborn was hardly featured in The Lord of the Rings?
Old 01-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #257
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Indeed. In fact, perhaps the Red Book was a piece of anti-warg propoganda? Oooh, the treachery!
Old 02-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #258
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think the Warg would be good if they were just trained well. My cat used to be a mini feline warg. She would attack you from all directions, but since she's a shrimpy cat, she just bounces off everyone like a bouncy ball.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:38 AM   #259
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

It is not unheard of for other creatures to be filled with the spirit of Wargs. I once heard of a Dwarf who was cast out of his community for acting Warg-like. Whether this is because of a deep hatred of the Dwarves for Wargs or because it made certain social circumstances rather awkward is unknown. What is also unknown is what became of that Dwarf.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:25 PM   #260
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
on the contrary, Eomer, I have heard tale of a wild warg pack that wanders the plains of ROhan. This pack, it is said, is led by a beast that is more intelligent than a normal warg, if indeed such a thing is possible. Although no one ever sees this leader, he has built himself a great reputation. Actually, one man has seen him and lived, he described him as, a short dwarf-like creature clothed only in a very long beard. but he is now more grisseled that he wasn't sure whether he was a warg with two legs, or a dwarf with really sharp teeth.

Last edited by arcticstorm; 05-06-2005 at 01:23 PM.
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:10 PM   #261
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

If you had a team of Wargs and a team of Dwarves competing on University Challenge, I know where I'd put my money.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:23 AM   #262
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Exactly, Eomer! Paxman wouldn't be half as snide if there was the threat of a warg mauling hanging over him! And besides, I think we all know that even the entire race of dwarves lack the ferocoity of the warg rider, so surely a team of academic wargs would make short work of them!
Old 02-12-2005, 08:14 PM   #263
High King Fingolfin
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

A dwarf acting like a Warg? It sounds extremely strange to me. Perhaps he wished to be higher than he was by imitating such a noble beast.

By the way Samwise, your tale was wonderful. It spoke to all the truly great qualities of the Warg.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:13 PM   #264
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
If you had a team of Wargs and a team of Dwarves competing on University Challenge, I know where I'd put my money.
aye the rosted peanuts...
Old 03-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #265
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! The Wargs of Eru.

Have you heard of the Wargs of Eru? It is said that in the Timeless Halls there are six Wargs. They each have six wings: with two they cover their feet, with two they cover their faces, with two they debate whether they could fly or not.

It is said that they act as Eru's personal guard. They are also the messengers between Manwë in Arda and the Timeless Halls. When Dagor Dagorath comes it is said they will fetch Túrin's spirit, and they will consent to let him ride on them. They will descend upon Arda, and battle with Morgoth on the plains of Valinor.

I've also heard there were supposed to be seven of them. One of them, I believe, was seduced by Morgoth. But the story about this one is tantalisingly obscure.

I'll have to dig deeper.

You have to go to class.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:37 AM   #266
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

How interesting Nilpaurion. This gets me thinking about the lecture I had earlier today concerning God and spirits and whatnot.

How is Eru to enact effects on the the world? We run into the problem of spirit and matter duality here. But that is a new suggestion you have presented. Perhaps Wargs are this mysterious link between the two. It might be too late for Descartes, but I suggest you sell this idea to the philosophers or priests - whichever can offer more money.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:21 AM   #267
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
1420! The Dark Warg.

I have found an ancient Valarin text in Ingwë's house. (If you ask how I can enter the King of All Elves' home just like that, it's simple: we're related.) It deals with the events before the Music of the Ainur came to pass--indeed, even before the creation of the Ainur. An excerpt from it is here quoted:
Before everything else Eru first made the seven Grawlar, the Holy Wargs, and there were seven of them. The mightiest was Varsur, the Regent of Eru.

It is said that when the Timeless Halls was completed, Eru said unto Varsur: "Behold I give unto you all authority in this halls, and you shall be its prince, and you will be subject to none, save to him who appointed you." And he was clad with a cloak of precious stones, as a symbol of his office.

However Varsur's pride grew, and walking through the passage of the Timeless Halls he deemed himself to be subject to none, and he attempted to seat himself in the throne of Eru. And the other Grawlar attempted to stay him, yet Varsur was more powerful than they, and soon his foes were subdued, and he trod the steps up to the throne.

Yet Eru came, and with a voice of utter deepness he ordered Varsur to step down. Stripping him of his cloak, he was banished to the Void, where it is said he would remain, until the end of days has come.

It is said the Melkor received instruction from Varsur, and thus caused the fall of that mighty Ainu. It is also said that when the Powers grow weary of their vigilance the twain would break into Arda and battle even with Manwë upon Taniquetil. And for a time they would be victorious. Yet in the end Eru will send the faithful Grawlar, under Argwë, brother of Varsur, and they would vanquish utterly that dread Warg.
Of Varsur (under copyright from Olórin)
Eomer:

I am currently deep in negotiation, but I am now at a loss at what offer to take. The Phytagoreans are offering me a perfect score in any subject connected to Math, while the Jesuits are offering me full ownership of a school they own in the Philippines. Which one to take?

(Sorry to any Phytagorean or Jesuit reading this.)

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 03-08-2005 at 12:57 AM. Reason: word waffling
Old 03-07-2005, 09:42 AM   #268
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Try and negotiate an island. Or at least a private swimming pool.

That was a fascinating find Nilpaurion. The parallels with Melkor are remarkable. Is there any inkling as to when Melkor was able to speak and learn from Varsur? Were they ever in Aman at the same time, for example? Also, could these Wargs alter their form?
Old 03-08-2005, 01:12 AM   #269
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

1420! Negotiations.

Well, one Nutcase (yes, Nutcasm is a school of philosophy with some very interesting ideas, like how they thought the world was made by howler monkeys involved in a lice fight) tried to offer me the 7,108th island of the Philippine archipelago that disappears during the high tide. I denied his offer because I don't want a place that reminds me of Númenor.

As for a private swimming pool . . . well, mine already is the size of Asia.

No, wait--that was my bathtub.

Quote:
Is there any inkling as to when Melkor was able to speak and learn from Varsur? Were they ever in Aman at the same time, for example? Also, could these Wargs alter their form? (Eomer)
Well, in the Ainulindalë it is said that Melkor searched for the Flame Imperishable in the Void, but he did not find it. He did, however, find the banished Grawla there.

The Grawlar are discarnate, and there is no documented case of one ever taking physical form. However, with their potency of spirit (one of them could take on all the Valar with their hands tied behind their back while blindfolded), they might be able to.

I guess we just have to wait until the end times come. Then the Grawlar will descend on Arda for the first time.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:53 AM   #270
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Do we need a 'go-between' for Melkor and Varsur? Perhaps not, if the Grawler were themselves the ultimate go-between. I'm sure they could find a way.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:09 PM   #271
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Nilpaurion, if the Grawlar were discarnate then how were they linked with wargs. Was this simply a name given to them by Eru or did they indeed adopt the form of wargs which we now accept? Please, do not for a moment think that I am criticising you. I merely hope to get to the bottom of this great new discovery you have made!
Old 03-09-2005, 02:09 AM   #272
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

1420! Grawlar as Wargs?

Well, SamwiseGamgee, according to those Ainur who had the privilege of seeing a Grawla, their very spirits were in the form of Wargs. I don't know how that happens, but it simply does.

It is said the Morgoth made the evil Wargs in mockery of the faithful Grawlar.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:57 AM   #273
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

An old crackpot theory of extension suggests that spirits were extended, despite being immaterial. Now, in my class this theory has been attacked quite viciously, but I will do my best in researching the matter. Perhaps that crazy English scholar we were discussing had more wits than we gave him credit for!

Or maybe he was just influenced in his writings by The Warg and Warg Rider Appreciation Thread.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:32 AM   #274
Gangamel The Wicked

The Eye Ah, Wargy!

Evening,

Gangamel here! Nice to see Wargs getting such a healthy tribute!

I used to breed them in the Rhun Hills until they turned on us. I was away at the time, getting supplies for our colony. My faithful companion, Wargy was with me too. He was strong enough not to be corrupted by the others.

Ah, Wargy! He died some time ago and how I miss him. The people we slaughtered together. Now I am left to fester in the Hills by myself.

Maybe you know of other places where Wargs were bred?

Gangamel The Wicked

P.S. I have failed to live up to my name since the death of Wargy. I have fallen into a deep melancholy unheard of for Orcs.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:52 AM   #275
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

Gangamel, let me be the first to welcome you to the now world famous Warg and Warg Rider Appreciation Thread. It is not often that we have visits from an orc here at the thread, so let me extend a friendly hand to you on behalf of all hobbit-kind.
You are very privileged to have known this Wargy of whom you speak. Tell me, is he the same Wargy to whom Eomer has in past times referred? If so then tell us, was he really as sick and twisted as tales tell. Some have suggested he is the singlemost interesting case study one could have in wargs who went wrong.
Alas, now I must go. May you fester well, Gangamel.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:39 AM   #276
Gangamel The Wicked

The Eye

No, I am afraid it is not the same Warg. I named my warg in tribute to the illustrious Wargy. Although, my Warg was only half the Warg that Wargy was.

Many a man, dwarf and elf did we slay together, but we couldn't destroy entire armies like the real Wargy could.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:32 AM   #277
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
You know what i relaized, along side the sensless unappreciation of wargs, the orcs receive so much prejudice, many downers enjoy slaughtering the innocent orcs of Mordor(that reminds me of a hilaurious video that is a mix of Farenhiet9/11 and Lord of the Rings, very funny) since no that this thread is world famous, maybe now orcs, and many other unknown beasts can be appreciated for their...umm....Peach Cobbler goodness?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:56 AM   #278
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

The Warg and Warg Rider Appreciation Thread does exactly what it says on the tin, and no more. We cannot concern ourselves with the ill-fortunes of orckind- no offence, Gangamel.
The injust mistreatment of wargs is more than enough for us to concern ourselves with, and I think it'd take a pretty convincing argument (ie Eru telling me, in person, and accompanying this statement with a signed letter with the witness signatures of at least three of the Valar vouching for thye truth of the statement) for me- or any of us here at the thread- to be convinced that anything else in the whole world was more worthy of my time and effort.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:12 AM   #279
Gangamel The Wicked

The Eye

Wargs are the greatest!

Gil-Galad, it is very nice of you to vouch for my kin and the many other under-appreciated beasts of Middle Earth, but I feel we can only truly appreciate the Warg.

The Warg has everything you need to survive in this world. Many a time was I saved from certain death, at the hands of one of my many foes, by Wargy.

I feel that no beast in Middle Earth had as much courage, strength and bravery as the Warg. They were natural born killers, and for that I am grateful.

Wargs are the greatest! Need I say more?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:36 AM   #280
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamwiseGamgee
The Warg and Warg Rider Appreciation Thread does exactly what it says on the tin, and no more. We cannot concern ourselves with the ill-fortunes of orckind- no offence, Gangamel.
The injust mistreatment of wargs is more than enough for us to concern ourselves with
But is this not The Warg and Warg Rider Appreciation thread? Is not the fate of the Warg tied inextricably to that much under-appreciated profession of the Warg Rider, who is almost exclusively drawn from the race of the Ork? Should not those who are concerned therefore with the Warg be concerned also with who ride him?