The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum


Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
TheLostPilgrim
Haunting Spirit
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 72
TheLostPilgrim has just left Hobbiton.
PJ's LOTR--Not fantastic enough?

Is it just me, or is there a certain "realism" to the feel of PJ's LOTR that takes away the aura of mysticism and magic? Like it feels too real--I can't explain it. Too rough hewn, too "historical fiction"-ish in the look of the locations/sets etc. There's just a certain level of fantastic grandeur missing.

I go back to Boorman--Consider the mystical feel present throughout "Excalibur", even the general look of the film cinematography wise. You feel like you've been taken to a more magical place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YOL-Cm5RmQ

Last edited by TheLostPilgrim; 01-26-2012 at 09:17 AM.
TheLostPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
narfforc
The Dank-lord Sourone
 
narfforc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Asfahawayasikan
Posts: 1,303
narfforc is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Apart from Peter Jacksons ''Mistakes'' in the film I found the rest quite ok. Tolkien wrote the books to be as real as history could be, throwing in a bit of real world mythology, so more ''FANTASY'' would to me have ruined it, putting it with the rest of the weak fantasy films we already have.
__________________
THE LORD OF THE GRINS:THE ONE PARODY....NOW ON FACEBOOK.... SOON TO BE A BOOK
narfforc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik
 
alatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Heaven's basement
Posts: 2,488
alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
If there were a moment in the films that wasn't fantastic enough, it would be Lothlorien. I think that PJ tried, but it didn't just come off as 'part of the world outside of time.'
__________________
There is naught that you can do, other than to resist, with hope or without it.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
TheLostPilgrim
Haunting Spirit
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 72
TheLostPilgrim has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narfforc View Post
Apart from Peter Jacksons ''Mistakes'' in the film I found the rest quite ok. Tolkien wrote the books to be as real as history could be, throwing in a bit of real world mythology, so more ''FANTASY'' would to me have ruined it, putting it with the rest of the weak fantasy films we already have.
Yes it's supposed to be a history...But a history taking place in an Earth far, far removed from our own time, basically forgotten in history...A much more magical time, when wonder still reigned; Basically, a time of MYTHOLOGY. When the unbelievable was not only fully believable, but still dwelt alongside men. An age where creatures like Barrow-Wights and Ringwraiths and Great Eagles and the like existed; A time where races like Elves, Dwarves,, Trolls, Orcs, Ents and Hobbits and (lesser) Valar still walked the Earth; A time where Man shared the Earth with strange beings like Tom Bombadil and Beorn. It shouldn't be totally out of this world fantastic, but it also shouldn't be Braveheart-esque, which is where it goes in the TT and ROTK in some parts.
TheLostPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre
 
Inziladun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Heaven's doorstep
Posts: 7,316
Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlˇrien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlˇrien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlˇrien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlˇrien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlˇrien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostPilgrim View Post
Yes it's supposed to be a history...But a history taking place in an Earth far, far removed from our own time, basically forgotten in history...A much more magical time, when wonder still reigned; Basically, a time of MYTHOLOGY. When the unbelievable was not only fully believable, but still dwelt alongside men. An age where creatures like Barrow-Wights and Ringwraiths and Great Eagles and the like existed; A time where races like Elves, Dwarves,, Trolls, Orcs, Ents and Hobbits and (lesser) Valar still walked the Earth; A time where Man shared the Earth with strange beings like Tom Bombadil and Beorn. It shouldn't be totally out of this world fantastic, but it also shouldn't be Braveheart-esque, which is where it goes in the TT and ROTK in some parts.
PJ does seem to go in for the battle scenes, doesn't he?

To be fair though, I don't really believe it is or would be possible for any filmmaker to capture the feel of the story in the books. I've thought that from the first, which was the core of my original objection that they needn't have tried.
__________________
Music alone proves the existence of God.
Inziladun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan
 
Galadriel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: In Eldamar beside the walls of Elven Tirion
Posts: 551
Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostPilgrim View Post
Is it just me, or is there a certain "realism" to the feel of PJ's LOTR that takes away the aura of mysticism and magic? Like it feels too real--I can't explain it. Too rough hewn, too "historical fiction"-ish in the look of the locations/sets etc. There's just a certain level of fantastic grandeur missing.
I think the 'fantastic grandeur' was there aplenty in the Shire, in Rivendell and in Minas Tirith; but aside from that, yes, it wasn't exactly Middle-earth. To be fair, though, I don't think anyone could pull off a real Middle-earth, and then it would also depend on people's perspectives.
__________________
"Hey! Come derry dol! Can you hear me singing?" ľ Tom Bombadil
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
LalwendŰ
A Mere Boggart
 
LalwendŰ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: under the bed
Posts: 4,804
LalwendŰ is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.LalwendŰ is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well I wouldn't call Braveheart realistic in any way. It was basically Mel Gibson's fevered fantasy vision of Scotland and William Wallace.

But I did love the vision of Middle-earth as portrayed in the films. The designs of sets and costumes were about perfect, and no small detail was missed, from the tree of Gondor on Boromir's vambraces to the clutter of Bag End. This owed a lot to the designs of Alan Lee and John Howe though, two Tolkien illustrators that I admired long before the films came out. And because I love their work then what I saw in this vision of Middle-earth was probably bound to satisfy.

As for the scenery...if anything it was a bit too grand and fantastical for me. My mental image of the Misty Mountains is less Kiwi peaks and more Lakeland fells. This is one thing I've enjoyed about the HBO production of A Game Of Thrones - they filmed in Northern Ireland, which is a landscape much more suited to my imagination
__________________
Gordon's alive!
LalwendŰ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.