The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2022, 06:18 AM   #4161
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacilme Mapare View Post
I am from the western corner of Northrhine-Westphalia, Germany
Hey, you're more or less in my neighbourhood! I'm near Simmern/Hunsrück. Well met, welcome to the Downs, enjoy being dead!
Old 06-19-2023, 04:04 PM   #4162
Alassė Estel
Wight

Alassė Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Greetings

Hello! (Or to the nerds, of which I am one: Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo!)
My name is Alasse Estel. I am a new member. I really like all things Middle Earth, and that is why I am here. I don't suppose anyone shall see this, for, like so many other forums, The Barrow-Downs appears to be a ghost town. And not just because of the wights. But I try to always be optomistic, and I hope there yet remain active members. If so, hopefully I shall make some friends.
Alassė Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 04:48 PM   #4163
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alassė Estel View Post
Hello! (Or to the nerds, of which I am one: Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo!)
My name is Alasse Estel. I am a new member. I really like all things Middle Earth, and that is why I am here. I don't suppose anyone shall see this, for, like so many other forums, The Barrow-Downs appears to be a ghost town. And not just because of the wights. But I try to always be optomistic, and I hope there yet remain active members. If so, hopefully I shall make some friends.
We can at least claim to be a haunted ghost town--the spirits are here, watching.

And, when The Rings of Power is airing, also judging.

Perhaps even welcoming, when given the occasion.

There ARE many a weed tumbling through these streets, but the ghosts are happy to see you.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:31 PM   #4164
Alassė Estel
Wight

Hurrah! There ARE other people here! I am very pleased to meet you, sir.

If I didn't control myself, I would be doing only heckling of that "Rings of Power". However, I shall try to see it's high points despite myself. But no promises...
Old 06-19-2023, 06:28 PM   #4165
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Mae govannen! A ghost town with talking ghosts for sure. ^.^ We're here in the background, quietly hovering, but throw in a bit of excitement, and all of a sudden you'll get a flurry of activity. Welcome to the Downs! If you find a thread that interests you, give it a shot - chances are someone will awake from slumber. And certainly people (myself included) would take interest in reading new posts, even if we might not have a lot to reply. So go for it!
Old 06-19-2023, 10:46 PM   #4166
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Welcome Alasse Estel! There are still a few of us haunting the shadows.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 12:30 AM   #4167
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Cold be hand and heart and bone,
and cold be sleep under stone:
never more to wake on stony bed,
never, till--
oh hi there Alassė Estel! It's always nice to see someone new.

hS
Old 06-20-2023, 05:31 AM   #4168
Alassė Estel
Wight

Hello, everyone! I see I was quite mistaken in thinking that none would be here. I am very glad to meet you all!
John 3:16
Old 06-20-2023, 05:48 AM   #4169
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Welcome! Always great to see a new face!
Old 06-20-2023, 10:26 AM   #4170
Alassė Estel
Wight

Thanks very much!
Old 07-11-2023, 08:15 AM   #4171
Maethehuntress
Pile O'Bones

Maethehuntress has just left Hobbiton.
Hello

Hello Everyone!
I am Mae (which I realize is one of the most boring non Tolkien names on here)
I am not the most knowlegable person in silmarillion things and stuff but I love The Hobbit and LOTR books and I'm looking forward to learning more!
This is actually the first time I have posted on any forum ever so I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm excited to be here!
Maethehuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 08:24 AM   #4172
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hello Mae, and welcome to the Downs! Mae is a lovely name, and nothing boring about it. There's lots to be said about LOTR and The Hobbit. See if a thread strikes your fancy, and leave a post. Or make one of your own if you don't see an existing topic. Enjoy romping around the Downs!
Old 07-11-2023, 08:29 AM   #4173
Alassė Estel
Wight

Welcome Mae! I have only just recently joined myself, so we can be "new" together . Forums are easy, so don't worry about that. Also, you should definitely read The Silmarillion
Old 07-11-2023, 08:29 AM   #4174
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Welcome to the Barrow-Downs!
Old 07-11-2023, 04:51 PM   #4175
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Mae govannen...ummm....Mae.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:46 PM   #4176
Maethehuntress
Pile O'Bones

Maethehuntress has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Mae govannen...ummm....Mae.

Haha
Well played!

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody!
Maethehuntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 10:57 AM   #4177
Desert Kris
Newly Deceased

Desert Kris has just left Hobbiton.
Hello, I am new here. I've been a Tolkien fan to varying degrees for several decades. Tolkien is partly a family affair, and somewhat of an heirloom. It is a family affair in the sense that "My precious!" was a family joke that I didn't have context for. Later I was taken to see a showing of the animated Hobbit film when I was really little, probably because of the connection. My first attempt to read The Hobbit was a partial success, I got halfway through and thought it was great (but maybe also a little overwhelming).

Later on during a Thanksgiving we were watching the animated LotR, which I was young enough to enjoy without being critical about it. I loved it, but we had to stop watching in the middle somewhere. My father said, "Don't worry, I'll show you something when we get home." And he showed me the hardcover set he had of LotR. I made two failed attempts to start reading; getting a little further each time.

Eventually in middle school I buckled down and read the whole story; the third attempt was a success!

Now I'm making my way through The Silmarillion for the second time, with that book supplimented by materials from The History of Middle-earth. THoMe I haven't been able to get into until now; The Silmarillion has worked well as a road-map for reading across the History volumes to see alternative or expanded versions of the narratives, and explore the essays that elaborate on what Tolkien had in mind. I've now reached The Fall of Gondolin.

It's vaguely on my mind to read through the material covering the Second and Third Ages (including from the Appendices) before returning to The Hobbit and LotR once more.

I read many other fantasy and science fiction as well. A favorite from my youth is Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain. I also really like Dune by Frank Herbert.
Desert Kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 12:23 PM   #4178
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome to the Downs, Kris! Always lovely to have new people joining! Kick back, enjoy, and make use of this cozy place for all your Tolkien needs.

It's fascinating to hear about your family "heirloom". Did you have an AHA moment when you first saw the "my precious" source material?
Old 11-05-2023, 12:35 PM   #4179
Desert Kris
Newly Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Welcome to the Downs, Kris! Always lovely to have new people joining! Kick back, enjoy, and make use of this cozy place for all your Tolkien needs.

It's fascinating to hear about your family "heirloom". Did you have an AHA moment when you first saw the "my precious" source material?
Thanks for the welcome!

I was pretty young, but when I watched The Hobbit animated movie, and saw the character Gollum and heard him saying "Precious" and "My precious" I asked about it and knew after that that the joke came from that story. And I vaguely understood when introduced to LotR that they were connected, The Hobbit first followed by LotR.

I was so young though, The Hobbit was epic and daunting! Even after being shown the bulky hardcover box set of LotR, which was even more intimidating. I wondered how the story could go on and on to fill all those pages with all those words.

But yeah, I understood that the character Gollum in both stories was the origin of a shared joke in my family, when I saw the animated films. That shared family joke is why Tolkien's work kind of feels like part of the family, or inheritance. Something that bonded us, that I could explore in my own way when I was ready.
Old 11-05-2023, 12:45 PM   #4180
Alassė Estel
Wight

Welcome, Desert Kris!
It's really nice to hear about your experience with Tolkien's great works!
The books were at first quite intimidating to my younger self too.
Old 11-05-2023, 01:00 PM   #4181
Alassė Estel
Wight

Oh, and I also really enjoyed reading The Prydain Chronicles!
Old 11-05-2023, 04:07 PM   #4182
Desert Kris
Newly Deceased

Quote:
Welcome, Desert Kris!
It's really nice to hear about your experience with Tolkien's great works!
The books were at first quite intimidating to my younger self too.
Thank you for the welcome!

Quote:
Oh, and I also really enjoyed reading The Prydain Chronicles!
The Chronicles of Prydain are special to me in a different way, for several reasons. For one thing, they served as a surrogate for LotR until I was ready. So I was fortunate to experience The High King before Return of the King, and wasn't put off by the similar endings, didn't judge it too harshly.

Also, it was one of those rare books/series that I knew I was looking for but didn't realize it until I found it, the right kind of fantasy that I knew I wanted but didn't know how to look for.

The final thing with Prydain is it is something I discovered on my own, through my own reader's journey. I can only ever find people online who know those books, I hardly ever meet anyone in life who has ever heard of them or read them. So in life, they are kind of a hidden, secret series that know one else seems to know about. I am happy and relieved that I found them where so few other have, and been one of the few people who experienced their story come alive in my mind!
Old 11-05-2023, 04:35 PM   #4183
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Welcome Desert Kris!

I will admit that I taped (audio) the animated Hobbit movie. That, of course, was decades before streaming and videotape was rare or non-existent. I saw the Bakshi LoTR film in the theater, and I had the poster of Gandalf with Glamdring, on my wall for several years.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:30 PM   #4184
Alassė Estel
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Kris View Post

Also, it was one of those rare books/series that I knew I was looking for but didn't realize it until I found it, the right kind of fantasy that I knew I wanted but didn't know how to look for.
I know just how that feels!
And it is a wonderful feeling when one finally finds it.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:42 PM   #4185
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
Welcome Desert Kris!

I will admit that I taped (audio) the animated Hobbit movie. That, of course, was decades before streaming and videotape was rare or non-existent. I saw the Bakshi LoTR film in the theater, and I had the poster of Gandalf with Glamdring, on my wall for several years.
I still have a set of 8 theater placards from Bakshi's LoTR purloined by a friend who worked at the local theater. He had the presence of mind to lift them after the movie's run ended there (they would have been otherwise destroyed). They've been a prized possession these past 45 years.
Old 11-19-2023, 06:12 PM   #4186
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annśminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Bakshi's LR was the first and IIRC only movie I ever watched in the old 12" analog Laserdisc format.

Incidentally, the intro to the videogame South Park: The Stick of Truth is a loving pastiche of the Bakshi movie.

Last edited by William Cloud Hicklin; 11-19-2023 at 06:29 PM.
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 10:04 PM   #4187
Rune of Doom
Newly Deceased

Rune of Doom has just left Hobbiton.
Greetings everyone!

I go by Rune - short for Rune of Doom, which is my general tabletop and online gaming forum handle.

I'm a lifelong Tolkien fan - which means since the 70s. My parents read me The Hobbit as a child, and then a year or so later I saw the Rankin-Bass animation which, Narya-like, kindled a flame that has never gone out.

I just now stumbled over this fine place while doing a little online research for my tabletop D&D game about Trolls in Tolkien and found Bilbo's essay on them from over a score of years ago and knew immediately that I simply must create an account.

I'm currently reading The Nature of Middle-Earth by Carl Hostetter, received as a gift for Christmas from family members who know me. I look forward to carefully exploring the fascinating depths that appear beneath the ancient (by Internet standards) standing stones.
Rune of Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 06:43 AM   #4188
Alassė Estel
Wight

Hello, Rune! And welcome!

It's wonderful to have you!

The Downs is indeed a hidden gem of the Internet, and well-worth the exploration, for those who are interested.

I hope I'll be seeing you around soon!
Old 12-30-2023, 09:06 AM   #4189
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Welcome Rune!

Enjoy The Nature of Middle Earth (NoME). It reveals what Tolkien was thinking about after the publication of the LoTR. It can be repetitive, but has some great nuggets.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:13 PM   #4190
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Welcome, Rune! You will find others here who get excited about NoME and other very niche Tolkien things.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:23 PM   #4191
Rune of Doom
Newly Deceased

Rune of Doom has just left Hobbiton.
Thank you everyone for the kind greetings! I look forward to seeing all of you around.
Rune of Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 02:53 PM   #4192
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune of Doom View Post
Greetings everyone!

I go by Rune - short for Rune of Doom, which is my general tabletop and online gaming forum handle.
Wel this could get confusing...

Anyways, welcome among the dead. I hope you find the barrow-downs a fitting resting place.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote