Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2003, 12:02 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe Resistance Discussion Thread

Lyra Greenleaf invites you to play:

Resistance

Historical Background: During the war of the ring, while the Shire is under the control of Sharkû (Saruman)

Basic Storyline:

Under the regime of Sharkû and Bill Ferny the Longbottom Leaf is taken away to be sold, and the Tooks are guarded in Tookland. The problem is that Paladin’s supply of leaf is fast dwindling, and he wants more. He sends a group of young Hobbits out by secret paths to the Southfarthing to try and bargain with a tobacco farmer to get a new stash. On the way they bump into a group of the new Shirriffs. They try to convince the Shirriffs to come with them. One does, but the other two go to find Bill Ferny’s henchmen.

These will waylay the Hobbits on their way back with the Leaf. When they get to the farm they have to convince the farmer to break the rules and sell them the Leaf. On the way back they run into the two evil men and have to fight them to escape. As they reach the Smials with the leaf, Pippin turns up riding his pony to call everyone to fight.

[ September 22, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-08-2003, 12:03 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The purpose of the story is to: Bring the tobacco and any new recruits back to Paladin at the Smials

This means we will know the story is over when: They meet with Pippin back at the Smials coming to call everyone to fight.

Starting Location: Great Smials

Likely destination: Great Smials

Timeframes:

This game takes place in the _3rd___Age at around year ___1419___.

The storyline itself or plot covers _1 week____.

This game requires a time commitment of _6 weeks____ from me, the game owner and from the major players.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:04 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Characters needed:

Main character types are:

4 Hobbits sent by Paladin from Great Smials- maximum of TWO female characters.

3 Shirriffs- male. 1 of these will join with the “resistance”; the other two will go to find the men

2 of Bill Ferny’s henchmen. OR could include Bill himself if you want a ready made character.

Secondary character types possible are: Farmer/Farmers wife- could be RPd but not necessarily

Character types which would not belong: Elves, Dwarves, any other men.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:05 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The game owner will play _2__ character(s).

Character Description Form for owner’s characters:

NAME: Paladin Took

RACE: Hobbit

WEAPONS: None

APPEARANCE: Rather tall for a Hobbit, round wrinkled face and curly dark brown hair, tanned skin. Good quality clothes, often green. (His favourite colour).

HISTORY: Has been Thain for only 4 years, and didn’t really expect to be- expected his cousin to marry and have children. Now he has immense pride in his position and does his level best to live up to his own expectations. Has four children (the youngest being Pippin) who he loves, and two grandchildren.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Usually a jolly, grandfatherly type but has a famous temper when crossed. Or when he hasn’t had a smoke at his pipe. Close to rage almost constantly thanks to Lotho, Bill Ferny and Sharku- feels the Tooks’ place is being taken. Also very worried about Pippin, his heir, who has, after all, simply disappeared. Has a lot of pride in his family, and Hobbits in general- annoyed that none of them are doing anything to help themselves. Very determined and single minded.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

NAME: Josias Brandybuck (Known more usually as Josh)

WEAPONS: Small curved bow.

APPEARANCE: Short and stocky (even for a Hobbit), unusually fair hair, wildly curly and messy. Rumpled clothes- it’s not that he rumples them, it just seems they get near to him and become dirty and creased. Never seen without a smile, which gives him a dimple.

HISTORY: Son of Paladin’s sister Emmeline (Emmie) and Zachius Brandybuck, born and brought up in Buckland and the Smials with his older brother and sister. He came to the Smials with many other Brandybucks to help the Tooks in their opposition of the new regime. Has always had a taste for Bilbo’s stories and a thirst for adventure, and has always idolised his cousin Pippin- wishes he could have gone adventuring with them.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Kind, usually gentle and always trying to be helpful. He has an infectious laugh which is often heard. Dreams of adventure and has a secret wish for glory. A good sense of humour. He has a righteous indignation about the trials the Shire is facing and wishes to see the old ways restored. Childish in many ways. Secretly nervous about fighting.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:07 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The first post for the game:

Lyra's post

Paladin gazed with ill-concealed annoyance into the little container half full of the best Longbottom Leaf.

“Eglantine!” he called towards an open, round door.

“Yes Paladin?” His wife answered as she bustled cheerfully into the room.

“My tobacco box has not been filled. It’s less than halfway full.” Eglantine fidgeted with her gown, eyes suddenly fixed on the floor at her feet.

“Eglantine?” Paladin asked in a commanding voice, irritation growing.
Why in Heaven’s name is she acting like young Pippin after one of his scrapes? he wondered grimly.

“Well, my love…You see…” her voice trailed off.

“Come, Eglantine! Surely you don’t think I will bite your head off?” Once again she shifted uneasily.

“No of course not.” She replied doubtfully. “You see Paladin, the thing is- you’ve run out”

“What?”

“It’s those ruffians. They don’t allow trade of tobacco. We’ve haven’t had any new supplies for quite some time. For the last few weeks you’re the only person who has actually had any.”

Paladin sat slowly onto his old chair. That’s all there is left? he thought disbelievingly.

There hasn’t been a shortage of Leaf since…there hasn’t been a shortage of Leaf! And they have been going without, for me. Even Adelard, I suppose! Anger bubbled to the surface. Those...men. We have to get rid of them. Coming in, changing things. Setting up that Sackville-Baggins as chief. Sackville-Baggins! I ask you, what’s wrong with traditions? The Thain has always been in charge, if anyone has to be. And the Master, in Buckland, I suppose. Sackville-Baggins. It’s not even a proper name! Baggins, yes, and even Sackville is a respectable-

“Paladin?” His wife’s voice interrupted his thoughts. He looked up. Her cheerful face was creased in worry.

“Eglantine. This has gone on for quite long enough. It’s time we showed them that Tooks will not stand for this nonsense, whatever Grubbs or Hardbottles may do. We need more Leaf. I’ll lead a party to-”

He broke off. Eglantine had, if anything, become more agitated.
“Paladin” she began slowly “Are you sure? You were always very adventurous, but don’t you think you’re perhaps…a little old?”

He looked at her sternly, then sighed. “Maybe I am at that” he admitted with a sigh, then squeezed her hand. “Well, then. Let us find some younger volunteers. Where is everyone?”

Eglantine gave him a very pointed look. “Most are eating Elevenses, Paladin.”
”Of course, of course” Paladin murmured absently “Good, good. I’ll announce it in the Dining Hall.”

Paladin walked to the front of the great dining hall slowly. It was almost completely full, and yet he knew many Hobbits were not there. There had always been many Tooks, but now they were joined by huge numbers of Hobbits who had come because only the Tooks were doing anything against the enemy. The enemy of ALL Hobbits. Paladin had had to make some hard decisions, not least the order to kill trespassers. It was always hard for a Hobbit to kill. He could understand why others had decided to put up with the occupation, but it was not in him to accept it. Everyone had to make their own choices.

The noise had died down a little on his entrance, which simply meant that Paladin could hear himself think. Speaking was another matter entirely. With a smile he picked up the heavy bell that had been lying on the top table for centuries. As long as anyone could remember it had been rung to give the news of births, deaths and marriages in the Took family. He could still remember picking it up the first time to present himself as Thain. Recently though, Paladin had used it in more serious ways- announcing his intention to oppose the invasion, giving permission to raid the dwellings and holds of the men, and ordering the death of trespassing men. It was rumoured that it had been given to the Oldbucks by the King himself, and in those days it had certainly been used for purposes like to the ones Paladin now put it to. He was proud, in a way, to be upholding the traditions of his ancestors. Yet he would swap it all to return to his previous quiet life. And the return of his son. And a batch of good Longbottom Leaf. Deliberately he rang the bell, and silence fell.

“By the sounding of the bell I call to the notice of the Took clan a matter of grave importance.” Paladin began with the traditional words. “Listen well and tell anyone who is not here, that all will hear my words.”

Here tradition ended. Paladin was grateful that his ancestors, or the Oldbucks, had had as little desire for speeches as Hobbits of today.

“My dear Tooks” he began, from his own head “and all honoured friends. I will not make a long speech. As you all know, I am an old man” He looked significantly at Eglantine, who was standing near the entrance smiling. “and all old men have certain…caprices. Friends, we have run out of Leaf. I would call upon a number of our young Hobbits to go and get some for me and my fellow old men, who, I understand, have been going without for some weeks. I ask this not only for my own gratification, but also because the interlopers have no right to disrupt our traditions. Will any volunteers please come to my study this afternoon.”

Paladin waited for the reaction. There was a few moments silence, then a thunderstorm of clapping. There was even some cheering. He smiled a satisfied smile. Yes- you could depend on Hobbits, in the end.

The first young Hobbit into his study was a lad Paladin knew very well, his nephew Josias. The name still made Paladin smile, for this scruffy lad hardly seemed to suit it. He had lived at the Smials for some years, being taught with young Peregrin and Pervinca. Finally Emmie, the sister next-older than Paladin and the tattle-tale bane of his childhood, had taken him away for fear that he was being corrupted by his cousin’s influence. Paladin very much feared that the damage had already been done, and felt it served Emmie very well. Josh had always been in awe of Pippin, and done his best to keep up with his, and young Meriadoc Brandybuck’s, pranks. Indeed, Emmie’s taking him back to Buckland could only have brought him into more contact with Meriadoc, who could have had very little as a stabilising influence. Still, Josh was a good lad. He impressed Paladin talking of his desire to rid the Shire of those men and his wish for adventure. Paladin could remember feeling similarly himself. No doubt it was inspired, at least in part, by Pippin’s going off for adventure. Paladin nodded briskly: yes, the lad would do very well. He had excelled himself in some of the raids.

“Very well lad” He cut off Josh’s flow of speech. “I will entrust you with charge of this expedition, but make sure you listen to advice. I have found that to be the secret of leadership. I want you to go to Longbottom- you know the way by the Shirebourn do you not?”

Josh nodded eagerly.

“Good, good. I want you to try to keep out of the way of everyone. No attempted heroics. I think there will be time enough for that soon. Well, go and prepare. Send in the next, won’t you”

“Thank you very much, Uncle Paladin” the lad answered, his eyes shining.
I hope you will be as happy afterwards, Paladin thought with a sigh, knitting his hands together as he watched the boy walk out. Hard decisions…
Old 08-08-2003, 12:09 PM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

FIRST POSTS MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH YOUR CHARACTER DESCRIPTION

All character descriptions not accompanied by a First Post will be returned to their writers.

Players will NOT be chosen because they submitted their character earlier than the other players. The Game Owner, Lyra, will read each post and character bio and then make the choice for players accordingly.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:13 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It is a requirement that all potential game players will either have posted in one of the RPG Inns (preferably in The Green Dragon) or have played in an RPG on the Barrow Downs.

Please use this form for creating your character to post on the discussion thread.

Those who have not played before in a Barrow Downs' RPG will be given preference. Final preference, though, will be at the discretion of the Game Owner.

__________________________________________________ _________

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES/NO - Which one?

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? Please note you may play in only 3 games at one time.

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES/NO – Which one?

For your character please include:

NAME:

RACE:

WEAPONS (No magical, super-hero, mithril weapons. Just good solid Middle-earth weapons and armor only that is appropriate to the race of the character and the time period.):

APPEARANCE:

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: (No half-Elven characters. No mixed-type characters. No super-heroes. No assassins. No one all powerful, martial arts proficient, or having any magical traits. Just regular characters with normal abilities for their races only):

HISTORY:

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

A FIRST POST FOR YOUR CHARACTER MUST ACCOMPANY THIS FORM.

It is a requirement for this game. Character Descriptions without a First Post attached will be sent back to the writer. They may be submitted again, once there is a First Post to go with them.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:13 PM   #8
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The Discussion Thread is now open to take on characters.

Please read the proposal carefully, see what characters are needed, and craft a well thought out Character Description and a First Post for the Game.

Should be a fun game!

~*~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator

[ August 09, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-10-2003, 02:17 AM   #9
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hello! Wow, I'm so excited- so come on people, join!

I'd just like to point out a couple of things about the game.

Firstly that there is a lot of freedom, especially for the evil characters, to develop their own storyline. So if you want to be evil you'll get to use your imagination!

Secondly, I'd like to highlight the fact that there is a space open for at least one possible cameo role as the farmer/ farmer's wife (or other member of his family!) which would require perhaps one post to set the character up and two or three for negotiation. Anything else would be up to you, so a good part if you haven't got much time.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 08-12-2003, 09:46 PM   #10
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I don't know if Hobbits play chess or not, but here goes. Hope you like it.
Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – NO

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES - The Green Dragon

NAME: Olo Underfoot

WEAPONS (No magical, super-hero, mithril weapons. Just good solid Middle-earth weapons and armor only that is appropriate to the race of the character and the time period.): Olo carries a short bow which he can shoot fairly well.

APPEARANCE: Standing at 3’6” He has dark brown curly hair to match his dark eyes. He is a fairly well dressed hobbit with brass buttons upon his yellow vest. Though rich, he is nearly always dressed in plain brown breeches and a white cotton shirt along with the bright yellow vest He is fat, even for a hobbit, and he loves to smoke. He is always seen with a pipe in his mouth, even if he is not currently smoking it. The course hairs upon his feet are always neatly brushed, and his hair is always carefully combed so that the tops of his ears are framed with a delicate fringe of curls.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: He is very clever and loves to play chess. Strategically minded, he has no scruples in making himself richer and others poorer when an opportunity arises. Often times, he will switch sides in an argument/situation if circumstances are turned on the side he is currently on. Olo Underfoot is, of course, aware that this is a dangerous game, but he thrives on it as his quick mind always rescues him out of political scrapes. Proud and egotistical, especially after becoming shirrif, he does not have many friends and many wondered how he ever managed to become shirrif. He is very persuasive when he wants to be and is very popular among Bill Ferney and his southern friends.

HISTORY: Olo is the son of Esmerelda and Polo Underfoot, where they had an isolated hole in the country several miles from Hobbiton. They were the last of the little known Underfoots and their family was also one of the poorer ones. Though not anywhere near poverty, Olo always looked with envy upon the Baggins of Hobbiton, where he would occasionally journey to when he was a young lad. Early in his life, he determined that he would make the Shire remember the Underfoots for all time, and that he himself would be rich, maybe even richer than Baggins himself! Little by little he rose to the top, until he moved to Bree, where he opened a bakery to please his mother. It was while he lived in Bree that he became friends with Bill Ferny, if friendship it could be called. Because of his wits and clerverness, he became shirrif when he was 50 years old.

FIRST POST October 27

Two men, pipes hanging from their mouths and heads wreathed in bluish grey smoke, studied a light brown board checked with black intently; carved chess pieces of mahogany stood in military array upon the different squares. Well, at least one of the players was technically a man, the other was a fairly wealthy hobbit.

Snickering slyly, the man, Bill Ferny by name, smoothly threatened Olo Underfoot’s king with a queen. Rotten yellow teeth revealed themselves in a gloating sneer as Bill leaned back in his chair and blew a cloud of smoke into the sky. “Check, Olo.”

Olo grimaced slightly at the board and blew a smoke ring from his fat lips. Rubbing his pudgy tanned hands thoughtfully, Olo considered Bill with a pair of rich brown eyes. Ferny was a clever man, but Olo knew that he was smarter than the sallow faced man that crowed in early pride before him. With a shrug, Olo said, “You are not lackin‘ in brains, Billy. Though I must admit ye had me worried when ye took up with them southern men. Thought ye was a fool and I imagined that ye would loose everything you possessed, even though that was precious little. I see I was wrong.” He fingered his brass buttons thoughtfully before he added, “Thanks to ye, I’m richer than I ever thought possible. Technically, o’ course, it was all because o’ Sharkey. ’Twas a happy day for the Shire when he came.”

Bill Ferny laughed scornfully and said, “That’s not the tune you were dancing to when he first came. You were all afraid that Sharkey would ruin the Shire, and look at ya now: one of Sharkey’s best men.”

“That’s because ye opened me eyes, mate. ‘Twas ye that showed me that Sharkey really meant to improve the Shire, this poor land that wallowed in its unchanged state and that plodded contentedly on in ignorance of great mechanical advances. If it weren’t for ye, I’d be starving in some dank cell, becoming thinner and thinner and yearnin‘ for a bit o‘ smoke.” Olo jiggled his fat stomach appreciatively and patted a leather tobacco pouch which was stuffed so full with Leaf that it threatened to burst its seams. Glancing at the board, he countered Bill Ferny’s move with his knight and watched in unrestrained glee as Ferney’s smugness faded and was replaced with irritation.

Swiftly moving a pawn, Ferny said, “Not all the Shire folk think as we do.” Nodding towards Tookland, he said, “Thain Paladin is making plenty of trouble. Tomorrow, you and two of your fellow shirrifs are goin' to have a meeting in the morning.”

With a disdainful scoff, Olo replied, “I’m goin’ over with two o’ my fellow shirrif to see to him, try an‘ convince him to our side, if ye know what I mean. If they refuse,” he said with a careless shrug and a forefinger swiping at his throat, “Sharkey will see to ’im, Under his finger, the Tooks will bend an’ bend ’till they snap.” With a flourish, Olo maneuvered his queen to a black square and peered triumphantly into Bill Ferny‘s yellow face. “Checkmate.”

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: Imladris ]

Old 08-13-2003, 04:01 AM   #11
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Imladris, that seems brilliant. Just one thing- you've written Bill Ferney, but it's Bill Ferny. Apart from that...you're accepted!
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 08-13-2003, 08:30 AM   #12
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Thanks for the correction, Lyra, and I'm sorry about that. Thank you also for accepting me and, as if you couldn't tell [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img], Olo's one of the bad shirrif's. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Old 08-13-2003, 05:06 PM   #13
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Hello Lyra,

would you care for a little wanderer? Have a look!

Name: Tim Bracegirdle
Race: Hobbit
Weapon: Crossbow- and his charm. Try to say no to him, you will fail, fail, fail.

Short physical description: A Hobbit- Hunk! (wouldn´t that make a neat PT?) Anyways. Yes, he´s very attractive, with crystal-blue eyes, sun tanned skin. He has sensual lips, darkbrown eyes and a face that´s very, very hard to forget. A smile to die for, and quite muscular. Tall for a hobbit, long legs he has a kind of lazy- elegance hard to find around of hobbits.

Backround/Motivation/Character: Every heard of a hobbit jock?! Not only is Tim too cute to be allowed, he´s also very, very popular. He can be found on every party between Michel Delving and Bree, and he just loves it. He lives with the impression he can have whatever he wants- and every girl he wants. With winks and smiles, he just flirts and flirts. “The world is a stage- and the lasses are MY audience.” He doesn´t have a tad for responsability, and no interest whatsoever in founding a family (“Marry? Kids? End my life? Are you kidding??") Needless to say, this atitude makes him appear rather immature, and especially elder hobbits tend to not take him seriously.
He´s the youngest child of the family, and his mother spoiled him rotten. He never had to take any responsibility, but he also never bounded with any of his –much older- siblings. Even now, that they´re grown up, they´re not really close- exept for Tim and his next-oldest sister Melody, who he trusts boundlessly. But Tim´s also found a kind of new family in his aunt Hilda Brandybuck née Bracegirdle and her children. His cousin Doderic is one of his few close friends.
Tim values fun and laughter, but he has few close friends he really trusts. He tries to be as invincible as possible, always cool and funny, but it´s hard to get a good, true impression of him. In truth, Tim sometimes finds himself longing for much more than ale and dancing. He wants love and friendship. Long talks with more sense than pointless rumors and wide open spaces, where he can be free and do his own thing. But he hardly ever lets these thoughts take hold of him, mainly because he´s happy with the life he has, and sees no need to change it. Besides, there´s so much to do- like charming other people. It´s not only girls that go crazy over him- mothers blush and smile, and strict farmers will only grumble fondly before letting Tim take their princesses of to dances.
Right now, he´s accompanied his cousins Doderic and Ilberic to Smials, and, in the two weeks they´ve been there as ceased to be everybody´s darling. Well, not quite everybody´s- Laura Grubb, a young lady with quite a head has slipped herself in his dreams. He´s crazy for her, but she doesn´t let a moment pass without letting him know she thinks he´s a blown-up idiot. Consequently, he´ll do anything to grab her attention. Anything......

First Post

“Oh my gosh, there he is!” Tim Bracegirdle lazily turned his head towards the voices and winked, smiling pleasantly. He was sitting on a little stone wall just out side the Took residence in Great Smials. Behind him, he well knew, two or three lasses of barely fifteen were spying on him. The usual. Tim squinted at the sun and, calculating it was about time for lunch, strolled inside the house. The girls followed him, much like a very gigglelish shadow, but Tim didn´t mind. On the contrary, he loved it. In the large hall, he turned around as was about to say something, something cool, when-

“Tim, there you are! Have you heard?” Melody. Of course. Tim gave a his sister a half-annoyed look as she pulled him away from hall and fanclub into a little side-off room.

“What??” He asked, curiously. “Any distant relatives? Bad news?!”

“No, no, no. There´s a shortage of leaf, and Paladin wants to send a group of youngsters off to get some. People like Doderic, and Ilberic-”

“-and me,” He finished the sentence for her. She nodded, anxiously. “You seriously think, I am going to go to through half the Shire, get myself roasted by one of those ruffians, stabbed by a shiriff and drowned in a river to bring old Paladin his leaf?” He peered at her, impatiently. Adventures, that weren´t his kind of thing. No parties on the way, and it became so boring after a while. He liked it here- lot´s of food, good ale, pretty girls...

“Tim, please! They need you! You´re such a good bowsman, and someone needs to convince the farmer to give you the leaf. You´re made for something like that, you like the outdoors, walking- and if you succeed, we´ll all have our leaf back. Please, Timmy! Please! Your brother´s can´t go, they have to stay with the farm, but please, do this! Please!” She fixed him with a pleading look, her eyes tight on his. After a pause, she lowered her voice, then added: “ Paladin´s awaiting young adventures in the study. Miss Grubb would be so impressed....”

Melody winked and left the room.

He stood there, staring. He didn´t have to go. Nobody forced him. He could go into the hall, talk a word or two with those girls, make them blush... He could make himself a nice time here, find a fishy excuse to silence his sister....he could.

You just want to save your own little bum

The voice came from the back of his head, small, defiant- disgusted. He´d never would hsve thought it was there, but it was. And Tim new, it would stay there and make his life living hell if he didn´t do anything about it.

Tim pulled up his shoulders and walked into the study.

“Hello, Tim!” Paladin smiled at him, his face round and kind much like a ripe apple.

“Good day, Sir.” Tim shoved his weigt from one foot to the other. He could do this. It wasn´t hard. He just had to say something. Appear smart and winning, so Paladin would accept him on the quest. But did he want to be accepted?

“Tim? Can I help you?” Paladin asked. Come on! Tim thought. This isn´t that hard! His mind was made up: he would go. Now all he had to do was convince Paladin of his perfect skills for this.

“Sir, it´s been a pleasure for me to stay at your house for all this time. I- I´ve been wondering if there was a way for me to return that kindness to you. And... there appears to be one indeed!” Tim smiled, and dropped his head slightly, enough to appear bold, but not enough to look silly or down-putting. “Sir, it would be a great pleasure for me to organize leaf for you.” He continued, his eyes fixing Paladin with a winning smile. “I´m a rather good bowsman, if I may say so- and as I said it would be a great pleasure for me. Would you- would you consider me? I´d be honored, Sir. It would be something I could still tell my grandchildren about.” My grandchildren! Like I even want children in the first place!

But Paladin seemed charmed. He got up and put his hand on Tim´s, his eyes shining with affection. “Thank you, Tim. I´d be happy to have you. I will not forget it.”

Tim smiled and left the study. In the hall, he turned to the livingroom where, sure enough, he found cousin Doderic. “Hey, Dode! I´m going on adventure!” His voice was casual, and only Doderic could tell it was raised above normal standards. Laura had just passed by.

[ August 18, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-13-2003, 06:15 PM   #14
Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock
Animated Skeleton

Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – NO

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in?one (hopefuly)

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES–The Green Dragon Inn

NAME:Falco Proudfoot

RACE:Hobbit

WEAPONS:walking stick and a sling with 7 smoth rocks for ammo

APPEARANCE:A Hobbit with Dark balck hair, Brown eyes, and about the size of Frodo Bagins.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES:He is genuinely nice and always welcomes strangers in his home if they are in need of shelter. He dose not take criticism to lightly. He loves going for long walks and loves his family dearly. He is very handy with a walking stick and he can sling a stone as far as the eye can see or so he says. The only thing that really set him off is when someone steals something from him. He loves his walking stick like it was a pet he keeps it very well and shines it every day. His parents are a little worried about that.

HISTORY:Falco was raised well in the shire he never wants to leave for any reason what so ever. He loves the peace and the tranquility of the open fields and that nobody bothers them. One day he was tending to his garden when he thought he might go to his friend palidin's house.

First post

It was a fine day in the Shire. So Falco decided to go to his old friend Paladin’s house for a good smoke and some gossip. Falco walked up to paladin’s house and he was sitting outside but he looked very puzzled.

“Hello good friend how are you today,” said Falco to his good friend
“Oh, hi Falco why have you came to visit me on this fine day,” said Paladin, but Falco noticed that he seemed a distracted.
“Why are you distracted Paladin” asked Falco
“Well I have a favor to ask you?”
“What is it old friend.”
“Well I would like you to help some young hobbits to get to Longbottom and get Gaffers such as us some of the Leaf that those ruffians keep form us. I need a wise hobbit as yourself to accompany them.”
“OK when do we leave?”

[ September 01, 2003: Message edited by: Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock ]
Old 08-13-2003, 07:43 PM   #15
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Yey! A Hobbit RPG.

Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? YES, The Road to Erebor, Reclaiming the City, Truth in a Dark Place

How many RPGs on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? -None

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan?- NO

NAME: Olbard "Brass" Stonetoe

WEAPONS: Brass carries a stout club given to him by Bill Ferny.

APPEARANCE: Standing about 3'7", with curly blonde hair and bright blue eyes. Brass makes a very respective figure among the Hobbits under Sharky. He wears a leather jerkin a tad to small for him, a sacrifice for the only proper amount of girth he displays, loose clothing direct from Bywater, if you please, and his sheriff's cap and feather stuck at jaunty angle.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: The nickname Olbard Stonetoe carries from his friends is "Brass", the key part of his trade, but the nickname he earned from his family, and those who know him very well is "Gullible". Brass is perhaps one of the most trusting hobbits in the Shire, and there's something to be said for that; But there's also something to be said for the fact that he blindly follows whoever barks an order first, making him the perfect aid for Sharky and his Ruffians. Brass has no ambition, very little ego, or daring, preferring a good plate of fish and chips to scheming and adventure. Complacent and hungry, the lad in his tweens has only one useful skill: his hands. Weather it be eating, drawing; working with either metal or wood, Olbard Stonetoe can do almost anything with his hands. He would go very far if the same could be said of his wits.

HISTORY: Born the son of Fastred Stonetoe and Eglantine Hill from Whitwell, Olbard Stonetoe grew up in pleasant times, if not in the lavish comfort enjoyed by some hobbit families. He came to Hobbiton as a apprentice locksmith, and his subsequent visits to the Green Dragon Inn earned him some friends and the nickname "Brass”, in honor of the type of metal he cast and the color of ale he consumed.
At the coming of Sharky, Olbard was recruited for the sheriffs after his aid in building the large mill and now works for Bill Ferny as a jack-of-all-trades.

First Post:

The guardhouse, comfortably warm in the thickly cold night, made Brass Stonetoe inadvertently smile. "Ahh fire." He muttered as he pulled on the iron knocker. A shadowy man twice his size gave him a black-toothed grin and waved him inside. Even two weeks ago the sight of this behemoth would have been enough to send him into a stuttering ball of fear; but now he only nodded stepped inside. A great "Hoohhh!" washed over him, and Brass ambled over to the table where Bill Ferny and Olo Underfoot were playing chess. He blinked, Horribly bothersome game, chess. Straining to see what the big to-do was about.

Olo, beaming as though his birthday had come early, declared so all the cramped guardhouse could hear, "Checkmate." Brass clapped automatically along with everyone else in the room, it wasn't really important; but everyone else was doing it, so Brass figured he should do it too. He was just about ready to sit down for a good after-supper when, "Olbard!" An imperious voice made Brass turn, his blue eyes looking unfocused around the room. "Behind you." The voice corrected, pointedly.

"Oh." Brass turned and ogled at Olo Underfoot. "Sorry, I- how did you do that?" Olo's sharp brown eyes were alight with mirth. "Never mind, listen," He lowered his voice conspiratorially, "Tomorrow, you want to come with me to Tookland?" It wasn't a question, really. It was a statement. But still Brass furrowed his eyebrows. "Why?" "'Cause we're gonna straiten them out." That seemed fairly straightforward. "Okay." Olo broke into a wide grin, and handed him a hunk of cheese. "Then be at the usual spot in the morning, and not after elevenses, mind you." The other hobbit added shrewdly. That stung, but Brass looked at the wonderfully warm cheese in his hand and chose not to complain. "Sure, I know the score." His fellow sherif chuckled as he turned and walked away. "Sure you do."

He shrugged. Olo was planning something, he always was. But Brass was indifferent to it. So long as the good food kept coming, whatever he had to do, he'd do it. No sense in causing any bother, but as Brass sat down to revel in his cheese, he wondered why the Tooks didn't know that.

[ September 02, 2003: Message edited by: Arvedui III ]
Old 08-14-2003, 04:58 PM   #16
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Manan I'm glad you remembered enough of your bio. Tim is accepted. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Arvedui Nice to see you! "Brass" seems a great character, he's accepted. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Dragon Elf Check your PMs, please! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

So... There are still two spaces for Hobbit adventurers left. (One or both could be female, if anyone wants. Could your first posts talk about, or at least mention, interviews with Paladin and a reason why you are at the Tookland.)

We also need one Shirriff to join the resistance and two evil men.

The cameo is being held for Sophia, assuming she's going to show up sometime... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
the Forbidden Link
Old 08-15-2003, 11:04 PM   #17
Elven Warrior

Sting

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – NO

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? None

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES Which one?The Green Dragon

NAME:Assiram

RACE:Man

WEAPONS (No magical, super-hero, mithril weapons. Just good solid Middle-earth weapons and armor only that is appropriate to the race of the character and the time period.):Longsword

APPEARANCE: He's tall and well-built with greyish blue eyes and dirty blond hair that covers his ears. He wears leather gauntlets and a long coat which he uses to conceal his sword.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: (No half-Elven characters. No mixed-type characters. No super-heroes. No assassins. No one all powerful, martial arts proficient, or having any magical traits. Just regular characters with normal abilities for their races only): He hardly does a thing unless he's paid for it and shows mercy to no one. He has a short temper and beleives fighting is the solution to all life's problems. His love of battle often puts him in danger, though, as he will back down from almost nothing and will continue to fight until he wins or is killed.

HISTORY: He was born in a Gondorian village and his parents died when he was young, leaving him to fend for himself. He eventually turned to a life of crime and when he was older led a gang of highwaymen who waylaid and robbed travellers. When some Men of Gondor came to try and stop them, however, he fled until he reached Bree. There he became a regular at the Prancing Pony and met Bill Ferny, which leaves us about where we are now.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

FIRST POST:

Assiram threw open the door of the Prancing Pony and walked towards Bill Ferny's usual seat in the dark corner across the room. As he briskly walked across the Common Room, Assiram never took his eyes off Bill's table, and pushed past anyone in his way without a second glance, for there was money to be made this night.

When, he reached the corner, Assiram noticed Bill sitting with his back in the corner, as he was apt to do of late, and one of Bill's many southern friends sitting on the opposite side of the small round table. Assiram stared down the southerner, his gaze seeming burn a hole through the man of the south. Finally the southerner looked stupidly at Assiram, who said simply,"Get up. You're in my seat." The southerner disregarded him and turned back to Bill. Assiram's arm suddenly lashed out and put the southerner on the ground in a heap.

Assiram then calmly took his place at the table across from Bill and said," So you're back in Bree, eh, Ferny. What kind of a job have you got for me?"

"I'm only back for a short while," Ferny said. Then switching to a businesslike tone he said,"There've been a few hobbits who won't quite submit to Sharkey. They're not giving him all they owe. I need you to find them, and if they still won't follow the Rules, then make an example of them and I can guarantee you'll be well paid. Here's a list of them." Ferny slid a piece of paper across the table to Assiram.

"I'd better be well paid, unless you'd like your head to roll,"Assiram replied, standing to leave.

"We'll leave in the morning, then," said Bill, knowing this meant "yes".

[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: Elven Warrior ]

Old 08-16-2003, 07:20 AM   #18
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Elven Warrior- That's great! Just one thing, Bill Ferny was in the Shire long before the time our story is set, so could you either make Bill ask for a specific job (eg going after a certain troublesome Hobbit, collecting food, somethign of the sort) OR make it so he's come out of the Shire to recruit, so it's clear he's been in the Shire himself for a while, although Assiram will be new. Once that's done, welcome to the Downs and welcome to the game!

[ August 16, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
the Forbidden Link
Old 08-16-2003, 09:56 PM   #19
Elven Warrior

Sting

Alright, I've done some editing. How's that look?

Old 08-17-2003, 04:26 AM   #20
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

That's great! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
the Forbidden Link
Old 08-17-2003, 04:28 AM   #21
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

That's great! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
the Forbidden Link
Old 08-17-2003, 08:46 AM   #22
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Ring

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – Yes (with Lyra actually [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img])
2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? one (I hope)
3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – umm…* nope
Name: Niluial Brandywine
Race: Hobbit
Weapon: A pocket knife and that is about it
Short physical description: Niluial had always been the outcast in Hobbiton, she was nt like other Hobbits; she was very beautiful and thin (weird for a hobbit), she had brown hair and sea blue eyes and she was rather tall, for a Hobbit that is! She had a very neat look to her and that might be because she was a complete perfectionist. She also has a very sophisticated look to her which is also unusual for a hobbit!
Backround/Motivation/Character: Niluial is a very serious person and usually has no time for fun. But when she is in that playful mood there is no telling what she will do. She loves to work and is a brilliant cook. She is sensitive and often takes things the wrong way which often irritates other hobbits.
She was never really close to any member of her family. So she didn’t have much to do with them! Her family left when she was only 15, and they left her rather wealthy. Her family never did care for her and look after her, that is where she got her sense of responsibility. But To this day no one knows where her family has gone.
She runs her own little farm… and she really has green fingers. The only problem is she hates getting her hands dirty. She comes across as a Tom-boy and many young Hobbits find that intimidating. Boys? No, not interested well… that isn’t fully true she always did have her eye on Tim Bracegirdle!
Many hobbits flirt with her because of her beauty. Niluial was often a trouble maker when she is in her playful mood!
First Post
Niluial sighed as she opened the door to her cottage. She didn’t want to admit it but she felt very lonely often and wished she had some more company. She liked to visit Melody Bracegirdle for the exact reason that she was Tim Bracegirdle’s sister. She looked at the clock… my time does fly she thought.
Niluial sat on her couch and watched out the window. Little hobbits were picking berries, others were singing and some were playing games. “Oh get a grip of yourself Niluial! Please you are strong and though. Stop sulking find something to do!” she said to herself in an irritated voice. She fixed her hair and picked up a basket on her way out "picking flowers might be fun" She said to herself.
On her way back she saw the Took residence. A grand tall, rather beautiful building. In the distance she saw Melody looking rather irritated. She decided to walk up to her but before Niluial knew it Melody was inside. She saw a window open and decided to go see what Melody was doing. She snuck up and leaned against the wall, right next to the window and listened to what Melody said… “No, no, no. There’s a shortage of leaf, and Paladin wants to send a group of youngsters off to get some. People like Doderic, and Ilberic-”
“-and me,” a young mans voice said.
“You seriously think, I am going to go to through half the Shire, get myself roasted by one of those ruffians, stabbed by a shiriff and drowned in a river to bring old Paladin his leaf?” Melody said again.

Niluial always did want to interact with Tim more… this was her opportunity… so what if I go through half the shire, so what if I get myself roasted by one of those ruffians or even get stabbed by a shiriff… at least I can be with Tim… from that moment she decided she also wanted to go with the group of youngsters to bring old Paladin his leaf!

A few hours later Niluial found Paladin talking to an old friend. "Paladin... Paladin" Niluial called waving her hands up high.
"Niluial, what is?" Paladin said. Niluial watched his face brighten as he spoke to her.
"I want to go..." Niluial demanded.
"To get my my leaf? But Niluial... you are a young..."
"I dont care I want to go please" Niluial said as she interrupted Paladin.
"Oh, well if you wish. I dont understand why"
"Well you dont need to. Thank you and keep safe!" Niluial said kissing Paladin on the cheek and running off.
"Oh bye" Niluial said in the distance. She was so happy that her heart was racing. "I always wanted to go on some kind of adventure" Niluial exclaimed knowing well that no one was listening!
Lyra I really want to do another RPG… if this character is not ok I will change it with pleasure… sorry if it seems rushed I just am in a rush! I might make some changes

[ August 17, 2003: Message edited by: Niluial ]
Old 08-17-2003, 12:32 PM   #23
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Nil- Yay! I'm really glad you're back. I will be delighted to have Niluial as a character, but you're right the post does seem a little rushed. Just sort out the punctuation and it'll be great. But could you make her a couple of years older please? 20 is a little young for a Hobbit considering they aren't of age until 33.

Nil and Manan- Could both of you add a paragraph of talking to Paladin to your first posts please? It can be as short as you want. Make sure you convince him of your worth!
the Forbidden Link
Old 08-17-2003, 02:29 PM   #24
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Hey Lyra! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? Yes. Which one. Too many. Wolf Run, Search for the Lost Messenger, Quest for the Ainereg, Truth in a Dark Place, Dark Seduction, Corsairs and Corsets...did I forget any?

How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? Uh, two...yes, two...I think... (Dark Seduction is going to end soon, you know)

Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? Yes, the Green Dragon

Name: Dury Greenhand

Race: Hobbit, married into both the Brandybuck and Took line

Weapons: his father's old short sword

Appearance: Dury stands at the shorter end of average hobbit height and is quite prickly about it. His light, rosy brown hair always pokes out in various directions, sitting atop his head as a mass of messy shaggy curls. He is a bit pudgy around the waste, and would be much more so if it were not for his wife. Mirda's cooking was excellent, of course, but she has a strong arm and a very hard wooden spoon. She has also threatened to purchase a small, cast iron pot. But, this is Dury's biography, after all, so we will continue with his usual apparel. He most often wears a bright yellow or dark green shirt with his light brown or light gray trousers. But sometimes he will wear a light brown or off-white shirt with his green and blue plaid trousers or with his red, blue, and green plaid ones. He always wears his suspenders, though, to match his shirt. Whenever he travels (which is almost as rare an occasion as his own marriage) he adorns his stained, once green traveling cloak. It is now a mix of green and brown; the one-time dark green faded into more of an olive green. On this unbelievably uncommon event, he also belts on his father's old sword (then he doesn't wear suspenders), passed down from generation to generation, purchased in a time when it was actually needed, and now more than a bit dirty and rusted. The scabbard is so full of holes from moths that Dury just shoves it into his belt.

Personality/Strengths/Weaknesses: Dury has always been a fellow to grow peevish at some of the smallest things, upsetting any number of people. He is fairly bold for a hobbit, one of the few reasons Mirda, as both a Brandybuck and a Took, married him. Though he can be considered bold, he is in no way adventurous like some of the ancestors of the enormous families he has married into. His personality is but bold, making him one to speak up at something he dislikes, many times, or to say something to someone's face that no other person in their right mind would say. So, he is also very opinionated, I guess, very sure of his footing, and not in the least bit meek, though judging him while with his wife, one might say so. Dury has plenty of common sense, and though he lacks in any true wisdom or intelligence, he knows what is valuable in life. He is also a good, faithful believer in morals and virtues, often shaking a finger at wrongdoers, though when he does wrong, it is much different. Even though he is not in any way book-smart, he can be cunning if need be. He has much practice stealing and stowing away all manners of pies, cakes, and sweets behind his wife's back. Oh! Did I not tell you! He has a sweet tooth the size of the Shire! And, of all things, Dury enjoys fine leaf, good ale, a warmth hearth, and a comfy chair, as do all hobbits.

History: Dury was born a Greenhand in Frogmorton, and raised a family there after marrying Mirda. He now has two children, with a third on the way. Dora is the elder of the two at four years of age and Mirdy is younger at only two and a half. Dury was much dismayed when Mirdy was born, giving him two daughters and no son, but he isn't nearly as disappointed since he has raised Mirdy these two and a half years. Still, this next one better be a boy, he says. Mirda is now close to four months with child, though, unfortunately for Dury, it has slowed her down none. With the coming of Sharku, Dury has been very loud among his family in friends, as he is a very opinionated person, complaining readily about the 'oppressment' of the Shire. Still, though he can be considered bold, it is a very big thing, going against the 'government.' So Dury has shown his face in many a meeting of protesting hobbits, but he has done nothing but talk, and plans to do nothing but talk. Still, he decides to go and check on part of his wife's family (he still can't call them his family, as they get into far too much trouble), traveling to the Smials.

First Post:

"But honey-cake!" cried Dury, trying his best to look pathetic. His wife only stared at him. Her fists were planted on her hips, and she wore a scowl, but her eyes glittered with a certain fondness for her husband. Dury had always hoped that that fondness would come through in her actions, but he was fairly sure that his hope was in vain.
"Honey-cake?!" Dury winced at her angry shout. "Is your mind always a'lying in your stomach, Dury Greenhand?"

"Why no, muf-…uh…my dear wife. I just wanted to make sure you made it right and all, you know tha--"

"You quit worrying over whether I make my plum cakes right or not, my dear husband. Worry isn't any good for the soul."

Dury mumbled something incoherent and stalked off, as much as a hobbit can stalk, to go sit in his cushioned chair. "Play with Mirdy while you have your smoke!" came Mirda's voice from back in the kitchen. Dury sighed heavily, plopping down in his chair to stare dejectedly at his feet. Mirda came hurrying into the doorway of their little parlor, hands folded at her waste, now, and her eyes no longer glittering, but looking worried, sad, and sympathetic all at the same time. She frowned at the back of her husband's chair. "I-I'm sorry, dear. I always forget, and…but it has been over two months hasn't it." She said the last part under her breath. There was no use reminding her poor husband that they had been out of any leaf at all for such a long time. "Its alright dear," Dury answered her half-heartedly.

Shaking her head sadly, Mirda turned to go back to the kitchen, ignoring the little thing with dark curls that brushed past her skirts. "And dear?" came Dury's gloomy voice. Mirda stopped but did not turn around. "Did you hear?"

"Yes. The Tooks are being guarded."

Dury grunted. "Perhaps…no."

"Yes dear. Perhaps you should. Do something."

He grunted again, though this time it was more of a groan.

Ah! It feels good to be a hobbit again!

EDIT: I forgot. I have one question: could Mirda possibly be a fairly close relative of Paladin's? That way, I believe it would go a little smoother, for me at least, because it isn't likely that Dury would be good friends with Paladin! He isn't very impressed by his Took relatives, and he doesn't like the Brandybucks much better. But, even so, I can just make the fact that Dury will get a share in the leaf (plus, it is his wife's family) an incentive. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 28, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 08-17-2003, 06:23 PM   #25
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Lyra- I am here, and I am still interested in your farmer cameo. Bio is on the way, but I thought I would leave a note saying I am indeed coming.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] thanks for bearing with me.

Sophia

[Edit] Lyra- do you need a first post with my (nearly complete) bio? If you do could you pm me with what you want the farmer to be up to during his first post and approximately when you expect to encounter him? Thanks a bunch.

[ August 17, 2003: Message edited by: Sophia the Thunder Mistress ]
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 08-17-2003, 09:30 PM   #26
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
Nil- Yay! I'm really glad you're back. I will be delighted to have Niluial as a character, but you're right the post does seem a little rushed. Just sort out the punctuation and it'll be great. But could you make her a couple of years older please? 20 is a little young for a Hobbit considering they aren't of age until 33.
Thanks Lyra [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ! All is done and I edited my post (look up [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) thanks again!
Niluial
Old 08-18-2003, 12:24 PM   #27
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Upon your request, m´dear Lyra...

*~Edited First Post for Tim Brandybuck

“Oh my gosh, there he is!” Tim Bracegirdle lazily turned his head towards the voices and winked, smiling pleasantly. He was sitting on a little stone wall just out side the Took residence in Great Smials. Behind him, he well knew, two or three lasses of barely fifteen were spying on him. The usual. Tim squinted at the sun and, calculating it was about time for lunch, strolled inside the house. The girls followed him, much like a very gigglelish shadow, but Tim didn´t mind. On the contrary, he loved it. In the large hall, he turned around as was about to say something, something cool, when-

“Tim, there you are! Have you heard?” Melody. Of course. Tim gave a his sister a half-annoyed look as she pulled him away from hall and fanclub into a little side-off room.

“What??” He asked, curiously. “Any distant relatives? Bad news?!”

“No, no, no. There´s a shortage of leaf, and Paladin wants to send a group of youngsters off to get some. People like Doderic, and Ilberic-”

“-and me,” He finished the sentence for her. She nodded, anxiously. “You seriously think, I am going to go to through half the Shire, get myself roasted by one of those ruffians, stabbed by a shiriff and drowned in a river to bring old Paladin his leaf?” He peered at her, impatiently. Adventures, that weren´t his kind of thing. No parties on the way, and it became so boring after a while. He liked it here- lot´s of food, good ale, pretty girls...

“Tim, please! They need you! You´re such a good bowsman, and someone needs to convince the farmer to give you the leaf. You´re made for something like that, you like the outdoors, walking- and if you succeed, we´ll all have our leaf back. Please, Timmy! Please! Your brother´s can´t go, they have to stay with the farm, but please, do this! Please!” She fixed him with a pleading look, her eyes tight on his. After a pause, she lowered her voice, then added: “ Paladin´s awaiting young adventures in the study. Miss Grubb would be so impressed....”

Melody winked and left the room.

He stood there, staring. He didn´t have to go. Nobody forced him. He could go into the hall, talk a word or two with those girls, make them blush... He could make himself a nice time here, find a fishy excuse to silence his sister....he could.

You just want to save your own little bum

The voice came from the back of his head, small, defiant- disgusted. He´d never would hsve thought it was there, but it was. And Tim new, it would stay there and make his life living hell if he didn´t do anything about it.

Tim pulled up his shoulders and walked into the study.

“Hello, Tim!” Paladin smiled at him, his face round and kind much like a ripe apple.

“Good day, Sir.” Tim shoved his weigt from one foot to the other. He could do this. It wasn´t hard. He just had to say something. Appear smart and winning, so Paladin would accept him on the quest. But did he want to be accepted?

“Tim? Can I help you?” Paladin asked. Come on! Tim thought. This isn´t that hard! His mind was made up: he would go. Now all he had to do was convince Paladin of his perfect skills for this.

“Sir, it´s been a pleasure for me to stay at your house for all this time. I- I´ve been wondering if there was a way for me to return that kindness to you. And... there appears to be one indeed!” Tim smiled, and dropped his head slightly, enough to appear bold, but not enough to look silly or down-putting. “Sir, it would be a great pleasure for me to organize leaf for you.” He continued, his eyes fixing Paladin with a winning smile. “I´m a rather good bowsman, if I may say so- and as I said it would be a great pleasure for me. Would you- would you consider me? I´d be honored, Sir. It would be something I could still tell my grandchildren about.” My grandchildren! Like I even want children in the first place!

But Paladin seemed charmed. He got up and put his hand on Tim´s, his eyes shining with affection. “Thank you, Tim. I´d be happy to have you. I will not forget it.”

Tim smiled and left the study. In the hall, he turned to the livingroom where, sure enough, he found cousin Doderic. “Hey, Dode! I´m going on adventure!” His voice was casual, and only Doderic could tell it was raised above normal standards. Laura had just passed by.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:34 PM   #28
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Manardariel

I have moved your edited post beneath your Character Bio.

All those who are editing posts or Character Bios

Please do so on your original post, so that the Character Bio stays with your First Post - it makes it easier for me when I am moving the First Posts to the game to have them there and not have to look through the entire thread to make sure I have the most recent one.

Thanks! ~~ Pio
Old 08-19-2003, 01:05 PM   #29
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Farmer (& Wife) bio... First post will follow if you want it.

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES – Quest for the Ainereg, Reclaiming the City, In the Footsteps of the Grey Company, Truth in a Dark Place, Dark Seduction, Corsairs and Corsets, A House Divided.

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? Currently three… although Dark Seduction should end before this one begins.

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES- Both

WEAPONS: A pitchfork for use on intruders, Bert finds it necessary to be more cautious these days, with all the Big Folk mucking around in the Southfarthing where they don’t belong. He also keeps a big dog, Beeky, who looks large and threatening, but is really quite tame and the special pet of Bert’s wife, Tansy.

APPEARANCE: Bert is the typical hobbit farmer in that he is around 3’4”, roundish, rather ruddy and good natured in countenance, and sporting a full head of dark brown curly hair. His skin is rather tanned and weathered, with laugh lines around the eyes, though he doesn’t smile as much of late.

Tansy, Bert’s wife, is slightly younger looking, with dark tanned skin, dark eyes with laugh lines even more pronounced than her husband’s, an ample bosom and an ampler waist. Her hair is light-colored for the hobbits of the Southfarthing, an ashy blonde shade, and the combination of her light hair and dark eyes made her quite a beauty in her younger days. Seven children and twenty years later later she presents a homey motherly figure.

Both hobbits dress in simple homemade garments in bright colors and with large eccentric buttons. Both wear leather moccasins when tending the beehives to avoid getting stung on their feet.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Bert is quiet and reflective, he loves his wife and laughs frequently when in her company, though otherwise he is usually fairly shy. He enjoys simplicity, doesn’t like anything that requires much forethought, and acts predictably without much consideration. He values hard work and honesty above learning or courage and has taught his children similar values. Bert has a great love of farming (even though he isn’t very good at it) and considers a good pipe of his home-grown weed reward enough for what he does.

Tansy is a little sharper of tongue, basically good hearted but inclined to gossip. She is the one of the two who looks for bargains, as she has a good head for business. She is usually conventional, but not above acting unpredictably to get what she wants. Bert’s hasty marriage and long stay in Longbottom are evidence of Tansy’s influence. She is strict with the children and lenient with the animals, often babying the dog, Beeky, more than Daffodil (age three).

HISTORY: Bertram Fairbanks grew up in the small town of Hopsbury in the Southfarthing of the Shire. His father, Bultro, was a smalltime farmer and beekeeper, and his mother Lily was renowned for her pastries. Bert was the fourth child of six, and the youngest son. His parents were never well-to-do and Bert learned to fend or himself at a fairly early age, going to the town of Longbottom as an apprentice to a rope-maker there just before his twenty fifth birthday.

His relations were shocked when he met and married a local girl, Tansy Hornblower (born and bred in Longbottom, no unusual life events until her marriage at the unconventional age of 28), just after his coming of age, and settled in Longbottom. Even more astonishing was the fact that Bert chose to grow pipeweed and keep bees instead of taking over the old rope-maker’s shop.

Tansy and Bert have now been living on their own small farm for over twenty years. They have no great reputation for quality in either weed or honey, which is probably why Sharkey’s men have largely left them alone. The couple has seven children, Berton, Maisie, Rosemary, Rosco, Ferrin, April, and Daffodil, all of whom still live at home.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 08-19-2003, 01:46 PM   #30
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Here are the applicants for characters so far:

Character List + Characters Still Needed

4 Hobbits sent by Paladin from Great Smials- maximum of TWO female characters.

1.)Manardariel - Tim Bracegirdle
2.)Dragon Elf - Falco Proudfoot
3.)Niluial - Niluial Brandywine
4.)Durelin - Dury Greenhand

3 Shirriffs- male. 1 of these will join with the “resistance”; the other two will go to find the men

1.)Imladris - Olo Underfoot
2.)Arvedui III - Olbard "Brass" Stonetoe
3.)

2 of Bill Ferny’s henchmen. OR could include Bill himself if you want a ready made character.

1.)Elven Warrior – Assiram
2.)

Secondary character types possible are:

Farmer/Farmer's wife

Sophia the Thunder Mistress - Bert and Tansy Fairbanks

STILL NEEDED
  • 1 Hobbit Shirriff - Male
  • 1 henchman of Bill Ferny (or Ferny, himself)
Old 08-19-2003, 11:03 PM   #31
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? –Road to Erebor, The Summons

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? None

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES Which one?The Green Dragon

NAME:Helios

RACE:Man

WEAPONS:An elven longbow and a longsword

APPEARANCE:Helios is a muscular young man, standing around 5'11". His slight tan adds the same mysterious effect as his chin length black hair. The black cloak that surounds hims conceals his sword that hangs at his side. Helios' only armour is a worn breast plate, and bits and pieces of armour on his arms and legs.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: (No half-Elven characters. No mixed-type characters. No super-heroes. No assassins. No one all powerful, martial arts proficient, or having any magical traits. Just regular characters with normal abilities for their races only):As an orphan, he has only known survival. He lives by his sword, and works only for money. Helios has a need for battle, that most likely comes from his unknown father.

HISTORY:Helios' parents left his after he was born, and he has had no family all of his life. When he was sixteen a man named Assiram raised a gang of highwaymen to rob travellers and live life off of the earnings. His initiation was to ambush a wealthy elven prince, thus taking his longbow. The young orphan joined, and eventually followed their leader to Bree. Helios lived down in Bree until he met Bill Ferny at a usual trip to the Prancing Pony.

FIRST POST:

Helios sat at his usual corner seat, on the other side of the room from Bill Ferny. He had just started to doze, when Assiram came into the Prancing Pony. The young man watched the meeting as it came to be. As soon as Assiram left, Helios walked over to Bill Ferny.

"Ah, back in Bree, eh? What's the job?" Helios asked before his boss even spoke.

"I'm only back for a short while," Ferny said. Then switching to a businesslike tone he said,"There've been a few hobbits who won't quite submit to Sharkey. They're not giving him the respect they owe. I need you to find them, and if they still won't follow the Rules, then make an example of them and I can guarantee you'll be well paid. Here's a list of them," he said as Bill handed Helios a paper, "I told this exact same speech to the man that just left. Assiram is his na..."

"I know who he is. So how much does this pay? It better pay well."

[ September 02, 2003: Message edited by: Burzdol ]
Old 08-22-2003, 12:46 PM   #32
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Before I get on to the sad stuf, I just have to say that all the characters submitted since I was last here would have been fine...

...Sadly I have to leave the Downs temporarily (I hope), as I don't have the internet at home anymore. I really hate to do this, and it serves me right for putting this game off, because now I won't get a chance to play it.

This looked to be shaping up as a great game. So I hope that one of the players who've been in a previous Shire game will take over from me. I think the game is pretty self explanatory and it wouldn't be too hard to cut out Josh and make another Hobbit the leader. Would this be OK Pio? I really hope so.

Goodbye, and sorry again.
the Forbidden Link
Old 08-22-2003, 01:04 PM   #33
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

This is such a clever game, and I am so sorry to hear your news. I also would like to see this game played.

For now, I'm going to close this thread until Pio and I get a chance to talk and decide what is best. Either way, we'll let you know what happens.

Hope your computer problems are solved and you return quickly.

To all those who posted profiles:

Just hang on tight. We'll be back with you as soon as possible.

Cami, Shire Mod

[ August 22, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-29-2003, 10:02 PM   #34
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] HURRAY! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lyra is back - she will be on the game on Monday, 08/25.

Can everyone please indicate with a post on the Discussion thread that they still intend to play in the game.

Thanks! Pio
Old 08-30-2003, 02:43 AM   #35
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

How could I ever say no to such a great game... count me in! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2003, 04:50 AM   #36
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Shield

Lyra? Back?
*does crazy happy dance* Count me in, sweety!
Old 08-30-2003, 06:57 AM   #37
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Yay!!! Welcome back Lyra!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And without a doubt, count me in.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:57 AM   #38
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Welcome back, Lyra!!

Am I still in? Most definately!!!!! Lookin' forward to playing.

Old 08-31-2003, 02:00 PM   #39
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

When is everything starting again?
Old 08-31-2003, 03:17 PM   #40
Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock
Animated Skeleton

Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

count me in to this fine game

[ September 01, 2003: Message edited by: Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock ]