The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
TheLostPilgrim
Haunting Spirit

TheLostPilgrim has just left Hobbiton.
Why did Gandalf choose Bilbo?

If I've forgotten, please refresh my memory...But why did Gandalf choose Bilbo for the Quest of Erebor? Why did he deem Bilbo a worthy candidate?
TheLostPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
It's elaborated on quite a bit in "The Quest of Erebor" in the Unfinished Tales. Basically the point was that Gandalf had remembered him already from before, as one being curious about the adventurous stories and wide world, and after many years overhearing him being talked about by the neighbours as a bit queer one, talking to Dwarves and strangers and, very importantly, not being attached in any way (not having a family etc).

Quote:
Suddenly in my mind these three things came together: the great Dragon with his lust, and his keen hearing and scent; the sturdy heavy-booted Dwarves with their old burning grudge; and the quick, soft-footed Hobbit, sick at heart (I guessed) for a sight of the wide world.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Why did Gandalf choose Bilbo?

I suppose he got him at a half-off discount.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
In addition we have the 'I knew the west was in for a hard time, and without leaders the hobbits would be in great peril, they had begun to forget....' a paraphrase and I'm not sure if it is from the quest for Erebor [a full version appears also in 'the annotated hobbit' and explanations as to why the variations in UT do not reveal THE version] or if it is the RotK.

But Gandalf, being 'a steward of all things' saw the need of the hobbits in general even as he saw the potential of Bilbo in particular.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindil View Post
But Gandalf, being 'a steward of all things' saw the need of the hobbits in general even as he saw the potential of Bilbo in particular.
To that and what's been said above, add the observation by Gandalf that Bilbo was "meant" to find the Ring. There clearly seems to be an element of destiny in Gandalf's choice, whether or not he himself was conscious of it.