The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > Haudh-en-Ndengin
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2002, 10:53 AM   #41
Thranduil
Animated Skeleton

Thranduil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No, I don't agree with that. Again, having Boromir live until the Siege of Gondor wouldn't have done anything for the story. Perhaps adding something between himself, Gandalf, and Denethor, maybe even Faramir, but it wouldn't have been that important and I think it would have detracted fromt the story.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:02 AM   #42
Lord Tohlos
Pile O'Bones

Lord Tohlos has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

How would it have subtracted from the story. He lives, oh well. I think it would create an interesting little conflict between Aragorn, et al. Im sure Denthor would have lit himself up anyways.

"Elves? Pah! I would rather fight with an army of Orcs then fight with Elves!"
Old 08-14-2002, 11:12 AM   #43
Thranduil
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Isn't there enough conflict as is? If anything, don't you think Boromir would blame himself for the breaking of the Fellowship?

And again, his death brings out other characters' traits (the leadership of Aragorn, the resolve of Frodo, the better qualities of Faramir, etc.). Besides, if he had lived, it wouldn't have been Tolkien's style (the feel good stories, "And everyone came home").
Old 08-14-2002, 11:14 AM   #44
Lord Tohlos
Pile O'Bones

Shield

He comes home, gets killed. I didnt really care for Faramir, and as for Aragorn...He was a good guy, but I still think Boromir is better. As to Tolkiens style, he comes home, gets killed. Nobodys happy, and Aragorn blames himself for the breaking of the Fellowship, so...

Old 08-14-2002, 11:25 AM   #45
Thranduil
Animated Skeleton

Sting

But why should Aragorn blame himself if it was Boromir's fault (but he does anyway, go fig)?

Look, I'm not saying Boromir was evil;I myself really like him. But I thought his death was fitting and his continued existance in the story would've (in my opinion) ruined things.

On a last note, Faramir is waaaay cooler than Boromir. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2002, 11:32 AM   #46
Lord Tohlos
Pile O'Bones

Shield

Im just trying to point out the fact that Borormir was still a viable character in the story. He didnt have to die. Denthor probably would have torched himself, and Boromir could have died at the SOG. He didnt have to die so early.

Old 09-16-2002, 02:34 PM   #47
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Whoa! This thread took a bad turn. Let me see if I can help it.
As I see it, this is a read between the lines sort of scene.
It is more obvious to those of us that have read the Appendixes, and know that Aragorn had served under Ecthelion II, Denethor's father.

In Boromir's death, Aragorn has more to face than just Denethor's wrath. He has himself to pummel too! For if Boromir was anything like his grandfather, this would have been a terrible blow.
Aragorn's relationship with Ecthelion ended in Ecthelion dying of a wound from a morgul blade. Seeing Boromir die before him must have given Aragorn such a sense of deja vu that he must have suffered greatly!

Boromir's acceptance of Aragorn as his leader was written into the film, and was not actually in the books. He did ask Aragorn to take care of Minas Tirith, and the pledge that Aragorn gives him is a telling one. It meant more to Aragorn than Boromir could ever know, for Boromir did not know that Aragorn had been Throrogil, the captain of renown who battled with Ecthilion.

Don't you think it's interesting that Aragorn preferred to remain silent on this issue? If he had told Boromir who he had masqueraded as, Boromir surely would have been awed yet worried over Aragorn's part in this.
I found that the inclusion of Boromir's acceptance of Aragorn as King was a very sentimental touch added by people who did not fully understand Aragorn's relationship to Gondor. If they had added that Boromir knew of Aragorn's history, it would have made it much more powerful in the eyes of those who have read all of The Appendixes. I certainly would have been shocked out of my boots.
But that would be another story, and make the film just a bit too long. Alas for time allowances.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:00 PM   #48
Turin

Sting

I believe it was Boromir's death that persuaded Aragorn to persue Merry and Pippen thus restoring the king of Rohan, defending Helms Deep and Minas Tirith and marching on Mordor.