The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2001, 07:43 AM   #1
Ghost Bear

Pipe Frodo's Awareness of Narya

How effectively "hidden" were the three rings? Certainly, Frodo saw the power of Galadriel's ring, but what of Gandalf's? Could the bearer of the One spend so much time in such close proximity to the bearer of Narya and still not feel its presence? What clues from the texts might illuminate this question?
Old 12-19-2001, 08:43 AM   #2
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Welcome to the Downs, Ghost Bear!

There is no indication in the text that Frodo ever was aware that Gandalf bore Narya. Maybe this is because Gandalf never used Narya in Frodo's presence or, alternatively, because Gandalf was better able to conceal his ring.
Old 12-19-2001, 09:34 AM   #3
Jellinek
Pile O'Bones

Jellinek has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's strange indeed that Frodo never felt the presence of Narya. Gandalf was given that ring to be able to rally and motivate people (including himself), it would be illogical if he would not wear it when Frodo was around.

Furthermore, wearing Narya would probably help conceal Gandalf and his actions from Sauron, similar to the other two rings. Another reason for Gandalf to wear it constantly.
If there was one moment when Frodo should hve been able to see Narya, it would be at the Ford of Bruinen: When Frodo put on the One, he was able to see Glorfindel in all his splendour, so why not Gandalf wearing Narya?

On the other hand,Sauron was not able to see what force was opposing him in Rivendell and Lorien. If the Three can be hidden from Sauron, then why not from Frodo too? He has not mastered the power of the One, and had not claimed it as his own yet.

Jellinek
Jellinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 12:03 PM   #4
Voronwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Voronwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf wasn't at the Ford of Bruinen when Frodo put on the One Ring. In fact, Gandalf was never present when Frodo put on the ring, though he could obviously feel it (and Frodo could feel Gandalf willing him to take it off) when Frodo wore it on Amon Hen.

In my opinnion, it's quite possible that Frodo could have seen Narya had he worn the One in Gandalf's presence.

-Voronwe
Old 12-19-2001, 12:25 PM   #5
Jellinek
Pile O'Bones

Jellinek has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Stupid me, Gandalf wasn't presentg then, but he was close enough to influence the water, so Frodo should be able to sense his presence (and Narya), but then again, he was very weak and kinda busy with escaping, so that could be a reason for not noticing then too...

/me will think before posting next time [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Jellinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2001, 12:38 PM   #6
shieldmaiden
Wight

shieldmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I think that Frodo saw nenya because Galadriel let it be seen. he didn't see narya because Gandalf wished it to remain hidden.
Old 12-19-2001, 05:15 PM   #7
Ghost Bear

Sting

Yes, shieldmaiden, that's the same conclusion I'm leaning toward. If that's the case, however, I wonder why Galadriel chose to reveal Nenya and why Gandalf chose not to disclose Narya. I realize, of course, that it's futile to second-guess the reasoning of a wizard, but I'm really puzzled by this.
Old 12-20-2001, 02:00 AM   #8
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Neither Gandalf or Elrond ever exposed the fact that they were ring bearers until the Havens. Galadriel chose to let Frodo know that she had one. She'd even said that Sauron suspected that she was hiding one of them, not that he really knew for sure. Another reason being that Frodo never tried to use the ring for anything but to become invisible, he never attempted to see things, or use it in any other way.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 04:40 AM   #9
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I could be wrong, but didn't Elrond, Gandalf and Galadriel wear their rings openly sooner, before they parted, after coming up through the gap of Rohan?
Old 12-20-2001, 11:42 PM   #10
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No, the only ting it mentions is at the parting of Celeborn, Galadriel and The Lorien Elves on the way back : " But at length all was said, and they parted again for a while, until it was time for the Three Rings to pass away. They were not exposed until the Havens.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote