The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2004, 01:35 AM   #1
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Know Yer Mates, or a Member Above You

I'm in two minds as to where the following thread may belong, but, as it deals with people, it seems to suit in this here subforum more. Nevertheless, I'll gladly accept the decision to move it to Mirth in case such a decision is made.

So far with preliminaries, let me explain what it is all about. This is a kind of game I've spotted on another board, and there, in its turn, it appeared from somewhere else (the source was not provided). It was quite to my liking, so I've decided it would be nice to have something of the kind here too.

The gist of the thing is as follows:

The participants get to know other members of the board, having some fun along (I hope) The goal is achieved by providing fact or two about the author of the immediately preceding post. The facts which are exposed may be deducted out of author's other writings, found out by visiting member's profile or his/her homepage. Any information will do, but with a proviso - personal information, not otherwise published by the person you deal with, should not be revealed w/out permission (i.e., if you happen to know some of BD members IRL, do not reveal address, real name, age or any other information unless you know the person won't object).

So, participant number one gets 'squeled on' by participant number two, the latter, in turn, undergoes similar 'informing' by number three and so forth endlessly, unless we are bored or members run short

There is no prohibition on joining the thread several times, just try to have several posts in between your appearences. Let's say, 10 posts in between would be just to the T.

I will break said rule for the first time, just to let you have an example of what I'm driving to, so post number two will be by yours truly again

Let's go!

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 08-11-2004 at 02:45 AM. Reason: some clumsy expressions, did not like on second read
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:48 AM   #2
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
let's pretend it's not me, but virtual 'participant #2' :)

HerenIstarion lives in Georgia, and he's real name is George Lashkhi (see, I've just read the post above me and seen it all there)

When abroad, practical jokers he happens to meet always refer to him as 'George from Georgia'. Corny joke, to his taste (that is personal information which is not published, but I happen to know H-I won't object if I inform you about it)

He works in a bank (seen in his user profile)

========================================

Now I hope all's clear. The comments concerning the source of the information I've made in brackets are not mandatory.

Join in and have fun. And no flaming! - ask each other by PM to remove/edit something which is not to your liking, and do it in a courteous way

cheers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:05 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
HerenIstarion is 26 years old and was one of the very early members of the Barrow-Downs forum, since he joined almost four years ago. He can speak several languages, including Russian, and his English gets better all the time!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:11 AM   #4
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Estelyn Telcontar:She resides in Germany and is also a musician and translator. Estelyn is also a much-loved moderator of the Barrow Downs Forum -- in the areas of The Books etc.

(BTW:Great idea H-I you've outdone yourself once again!)
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:21 AM   #5
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
(As a member who remembers a lot of older threads here, I'd like to add a couple of links as source material for this thread:

The masks of inscrutability
All About You (Part 2) (also look for Part 1)
Tolkien Coming of Age Club 2 (also part 1 as well as the Middle-Age and Teen Club threads)
...and the various regional threads, all here on the Barrow-Downs forum.

That gives you plenty of extra information to use, at least for those people who posted there!)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:39 AM   #6
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Estelyn Telcontar

Estelyn walks. And walks and walks and walks. Just look at the number by her name, and you'll see an incredible 1350 miles. Perhaps it is even higher as you read this.

If I recall correctly, her title, The Ghosted Princess, comes from the fact that for a time she had difficulties remaining in the chat room, constantly being disconnected. The problem was so persistent, that she cleverly used the /ghost command to chase away the lingering remains of her nick that would stay in the chatroom after such rude disconnections. It is one of my favorite titles on the Downs.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:31 PM   #7
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
InklingElf is a Christian, 15 years old, and plays Neopets.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:52 PM   #8
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
firefoot wears anything that is fit and is comfortable
likes fire
and was born on Sept 28
Old 08-13-2004, 11:45 PM   #9
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Morsul, statistically, posts 10.79 times a day!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 01:06 AM   #10
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

The Pery Ents IM name is Stupendousman 22.
And he loves Calvin and Hobbes which I too find very funny and soo true.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:54 AM   #11
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Esgallhugwen joined the Downs on June 26 of the previous year. She will be celebrating her birthday on August 30. She averages 0.78 posts per day. Her archnemesis is writer's block.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:24 PM   #12
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

Gil-Galad is a very avid fan of Trogdor and (most likely) all of the Homestar Runner gang.

He enjoys long walks on the beach and burninating the countryside, and has a very interesting web site.

Alright, I made up that beach part. ( <----how does that smiley represent "embarrassment?" I just don't see it...)
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 11:56 PM   #13
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim's username is most presumably derived from 'Seraphim' and which she changed into 'Sara' cleverly.

She has morphed into a Moogle.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:42 PM   #14
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe a guess...& then a gasp

He/She is 13 ( I'm guessing she, & now I'm hoping I didn't just make a fool out of myself by guessing 'she' ), &, ideally, InklingElf's lotr character would be a Numenorian.

Originally posted by Beren87
Quote:
Estel has much flattered me by putting me in her location.

She also has an insane infatuation with a certain Cap'n. (Hint: NOT Crunch)
'Her'? 'She'? 'infatuation with a certain Cap'n'? I must admit I am now scarred for life!

Last edited by The Only Real Estel; 09-11-2004 at 01:57 PM.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 02:30 PM   #15
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'll have a go at this too!

Well, judging from the above post, The Only Real Estel must be male
(people with female sounding nicks are always female, wheras with male nicknames you never can tell. and with some names I have no idea and keep wondering if that person is a he or a she for quite a long time! )

What else have I found out? Estel is from Kansas and plays basketball. He's interested in what other BDers look like. And he posts mostly in the movies section.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:53 PM   #16
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Guinevere lives in Switzerland and enjoys reading, nature, and sailing. She can play the piano and celebrates her birthday on January 10th. She frequents the QQ and is quite good at it.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:47 AM   #17
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pyro: sorry for shattering your dream but I really need to respond to this quickly. Please forgive me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Only Real Estel
He/She is 13 ( I'm guessing she, & now I'm hoping I didn't just make a fool out of myself by guessing 'she' )
Isn't it amazing how you can post about the same thing on different topics (i.e.,the trouble with identifying gender) and still people will almost always refer to the most minute of posts?

Dear Estel.

I am.

A She.

But.....

I am 15
Old 09-13-2004, 02:24 PM   #18
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Dear Estel.

I am.

A She.
Whew, that's good.

Quote:
But.....
I am 15
That's not. My research has failed me!!!

p.s. post on either pyroclastic or InklingElf, not me.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:39 AM   #19
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Silmaril Cailín

She was born June 20, 1985, and she is from Utrecht, the Netherlands.

Calín is a Celtic/English (with an emphasis on Old and Mediaeval English) student at a Dutch university. (I was slightly confused at first when looking for information about where she studies, because she's a well-travelled person who has stated an interest to study in quite a lot of universities all over the world. (Come to UP! Well, maybe it's better you don't--you might get the right impression about my country . . . )) She came across the Downs while googling for information for her Beowulf paper. She *gasp* has never read The Lord of the Rings, although she has watched the film version. When she discovered Tol-in-Gaurhoth, she was immediately addicted. So on the 29th of June, 2005, she joined the Downs under the name Cailín (which in Irish Gaelic means 'girl'), which was the first word that came to her mind. And then she joined WWIX, and continued to play in games X, XI, XII, and (the current game) XVI. She has also co-moderated WWXV, with Anguirel.

Okay, personal opinion, from playing with her, and reading some of the games she has played in, she's a devoted student of the game, having read past games to gain experience (perhaps, although she may also have read them for sheer enjoyment). She is quick to offer an insight or two, often helpful, unless she were a wolf attempting to mislead the village. ( )

She is one of the few members who became a Tolkien fan because of the Downs.

Random things: She had an imaginary childhood friend, a beautiful, vertically challenged girl with waist-length black hair. She had many brushes with Eomer of the Rohirrim, including his description of her, and this confirmation. She was also the seer in WWXI, where she denounced Eomer as a Werewolf. And then there was another game (WWXII) where she, a werewolf, was killed by her victim, Eomer the hunter. [/my stupid attempt at matchmaking]

(Having gathered the data while I was still alive in WWXVI, it's feels creepy to 'stalk' someone you used to be playing Werewolves with . . . or probably even against.

I am suspicious, even here. )
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:03 AM   #20
gralin musicteeth
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Tossing half-sick between grotesque reality and savage, frightening dreams
gralin musicteeth has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Nilpaurion Felagund

I don't know very much about Nilpaurion, except that he is from the Phillipines and his birthday is September 16, 1986. His favourite colour is blue, he wears glasses, he is lazy and a perfectionist. He has a brother (I think). That's all I know about Nilpaurion Felagund. I hope it's all correct, or I will feel like a moron.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:55 AM   #21
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Gralin Musicteeth

Real name is Anne (music teeth?) born September 20.Attends Memorial university as a physics major. Tends to be lazt and a procrastinator. Fav colour is blue. Loves the Beatles and cheesecake....... And what , I don't know is a Buttress?
Hope I got it pretty acurate!
Old 01-28-2006, 06:09 PM   #22
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gralin musicteeth
He has a brother (I think).
Nilp is a brother. He's got a sister: Lhuna.

Anyway, on to Valier!
She (I hope?!) is six years, eight months, and ten days older than myself. Her post-per-day average is a whopping 3.55. In her opinion, students are close to bums. (Really? No one ever told me that....)
Other than the fact that she's an avid WW player, I don't know much about her...and it doesn't help that I'm too lazy to research.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:59 PM   #23
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
elrond's_daughter is really named Cecily. She's a college student who likes her English professor more than her American literature professor.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:21 PM   #24
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Beleg Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Finduilas is a 16 year old who likes knitting, beautiful places and seems to favor Gondor over Rohan (see above).

Neat thread
~Beleg

Quis ut Deus
Beleg Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #25
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Thumbs up How in Arda was this thread allowed to die?

Beleg Cuthalion has not posted on the 'Downs of late. When he does post, he tends to frequent the Quiz Room most of all and does not seem to be of the sort to indulge in the more Mayhemic areas of the Mirth Forum.

At least, he's never done a WW game...
Old 02-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #26
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up

Mnemi (aka Celeritas) is a fan-fiction writing queen of lurkdom who prefers a non-androgynous nickname, likes British spellings, loves the Shire, and seems to choose to give the impression of being the alter ego of somebody or other and/or a duck.

She feels fan-fiction too often puts the fanauthor's intentions above those of Tolkien, referring to this as "magisterial" as opposed to "ministerial" fan fiction (the latter being that which keeps to Tolkien's vision). From her blog, she seems to be a very articulate and innovative thinker who will certainly be an asset to the Downs. now that she is among the actively posting dead.

Last edited by Rikae; 02-20-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #27
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Mnemosyne is a new member of the downs. The gender of this poster is unknown, as Mnemosyne never has been seen by anyone who has lived to tell of it. The reason for this is that Mnemosyne rules over a small tribe of pygmy hunters deep inside the dark jungles of Congo. Seated in a huge ebony throne Mnemosyne frequently drinks potent hallucinogens out of a skull-shaped cup, and leads dark and savage rituals of idol worship. Should visitors chance to stray into Mnemosyne's domain they are greeted with venomous darts fired by unseen sentinels.

Or so I'm told.

Edit: Ooops, x-posted

Last edited by skip spence; 02-20-2009 at 05:24 PM.
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #28
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Skip Spence -- literally. Yes, skip him altogether. Ignore whatever he has to say, because he is malware -- a bot that is not. A very clever bit of programming by some diabolical Asian concern only interested in tracking your bank information and selling you male enhancement pills. He will infect your PC registry while pretending to like Tolkien. Beware!
Old 02-21-2009, 12:57 AM   #29
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Morthoron used to be a "prolific poster" on the forums of "The Game Formerly Known as Middle-earth Online", and he is still worshiped by at least one fellow former poster, either much to his chagrin or much delight to his ego.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #30
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Skip Spence -- literally. Yes, skip him altogether. Ignore whatever he has to say, because he is malware -- a bot that is not. A very clever bit of programming by some diabolical Asian concern only interested in tracking your bank information and selling you male enhancement pills. He will infect your PC registry while pretending to like Tolkien. Beware!
Hey now that's bollocks! Send my your E-mail address and I will post conclusive evidence to refute your claim. And did you know you could become twice the man in two simple steps without the need for surgery?

Oh, I don't know much about Durelin, but I bet she's a clever American (East Coast) collage student in her early 20's with dreams of working in the film industy after graduation.