The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-27-2003, 06:25 PM   #1
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril The last chance at the Oscars

I know that it's early to think about next years Acadamy Awards for the Return of the King but after everything I've heard about the final movie I've been wondering whether it will strike gold next year.<P>I mean, Lord of the Rings had been nominated for the past few years and been beeten down both times most likely because of it's genre.<P>But do you think that at it's last go could it go home with a Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Director or even a Best Picture?<P>None of us can really judge at the moment for the ovious reason that we havn't even seen the film. However, going on only the spoilers as a guide what chances do you think Return of the King has at the Oscars?
Old 05-27-2003, 06:42 PM   #2
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

Sadly enough I think ROTK will have a small chance. It will probely get betean down agin but I would like it to go home with an award. <BR>"There's still hope"<BR>-Arwen in TTT movie
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 06:48 PM   #3
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Maybe it'll get an award because it completes the two other movies that everyone <I>wanted</I> to vote for but couldn't because of the bad adapted endings.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:55 PM   #4
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I think Return of the King will win at least a few Oscars. After all, it will have Shelob, the Paths of the Dead, the Battle of Pelennor Fields, and the Destruction of the Ring in it. Those are GREAT scenes!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 08:55 PM   #5
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Obviously it's tough to guess when we haven't seen the movie or it's likely competition. TTT didn't do so well because there was a perception that it was the same people doing the same things they were doing in Fellowship. As well, PJ and company apparently weren't out pressing palms like they did for Fellowship. I think their putting those marbles in the Return of the King basket and will be coming out gangbusters next year.<P>Best actor oscars are going to be tough to come by. The fantasy genre is just not taken that seriously, though John Ryes Davies has high praise for Sean Astin and predicts an oscar for him, though obviously that's a somewhat biased opinion.<P>Obvioulsy there will be technical awards and I think TTT was robbed of some these oscars last time (like costumes). Best director or picture was a long shot for TTT.<P>RotK will likely get a stack of nominations (which in of itself is a great accomplishment - how many best director and picture oscar nominations are out there for other fantasy films). I think the politics will be right for a potential best director and best picture, but obviously this depends upon the competition and whether a more oscar friendly movie comes out. Ron Howard doesn't have another movie coming out does he. <P>H.C.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:28 PM   #6
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Return of the King is going to take home the Oscars, and I would bet my house on that!<P>(Do I sound a tad bit overconfident, yes, but I do think it will be a mind blowing film)
Old 05-27-2003, 11:37 PM   #7
Elvenglass
Haunting Spirit

Elvenglass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elvenglass
Silmaril

I'm sure RotK will take home lots of Oscars. I mean, it's such a HUGE event, so much happens, and many of the characters are pushed right to the edge. I wish TTT would have gotten more Oscars. It deserved them. (Did anyone else think Chicago was the worst movie ever?) Anyways my prediction...lots of oscars for RotK.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:16 AM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I'm pretty sure Fellowship or Two Towers didn't get a major Oscar because the story wasn't finished yet. Peter Jackson is surely the big favourite for Best Director this time, and there's a good chance of getting Best Picture too.<P>The next awards will not just be for Return of the King, they'll be for the whole Lord of the Rings series.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:07 PM   #9
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Elvenglass, I agree! I think that Chicago shouldn't have won ANY awards!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 02:02 PM   #10
Elvish Hermit
Pile O'Bones

Elvish Hermit has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

We'll have to see the year's competition to make a clear choice, but RotK has a good chance- as of now. <P>However, special effects is a already stolen: The Matrix: Reloaded (or Revelutions) "Reloaded" was good, but effects was really the big part of it.<P>Ahem, back to the topic at hand:<P>Actually I'm done. ta-ta.
Elvish Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 02:17 AM   #11
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

UM! I read an interview with Billy Boyd and John Rhys-davies which said that they think Sean Astin should be a front runner for a best actor academy award.. We shall have to see..

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 05:48 AM   #12
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I reckon were gonna kick some major *** at the Oscars next year!!! Even if we don't, i don't really care coz that's just the oppinion of some stupid spooty people anyway, what really matters is what we think of it, the fans, not anyone else!!!Who cares what the rest of the world has to say about it???I don't!!!And remember to never give up hope!!!