The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-17-2002, 11:03 AM   #1
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dūm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril The fate of Ents

This comes up in a few threads on the board but the question still hasn't been answered; what happenes to Ents when they die? Do they share the fait of men and leave Arda or are they doomed to remain in Arda until the end of the world like elves?
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 11:41 AM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Is that question ever answered in the books? I am surprised that there is nothing about them in the appendixes. From what I have read in the book I am assuming that they are not immortal - they just live for a very very long time. But they could be - ya know, I am not good at answering this question, though it is something that I would like to know as well [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 12:45 PM   #3
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Song of Ent and Entwife:

"When wind is in the deadly East, then in the bitter rainI'll look for thee, and call to thee; I'll come to thee again! [...]I'll look for thee, and wait for thee, until we meet again:Together we will take the road beneath the bitter rain! Together we will take the road that leads into the West, And far away will find a land where both our hearts may rest'" (Emphasis mine).

While this may be poetic and uninformed exaggeration or speculation, we also have:

"But Galadriel said [to Treebeard]: ‘Not in Middle-earth, nor until the lands that lie under the wave are lifted up again. Then in the willow-meads of Tasarinan we may meet in the Spring. Farewell!’ (LR, VI, 6, 'Many Partings').

Note that Tasarinan is Nan-Tathren, that was drowned along with the rest of Beleriand. That Fangorn will still be there after the remodelling of the world after (presumably) the Dagor Dagorath, the ME apocalypse, explains that at least he is immortal. We can quite safely assume this goes for all Ents, unless Fangorn is a special spirit, fay, or maybe Maia (the latter being in my eyes and knowledge rather unlikely).

[ February 17, 2002: Message edited by: Sharku ]
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 04:10 PM   #4
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Question

I assume you mean that they don't leave the circles of this world, because Beechbone at least was burned alive. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2002, 04:59 PM   #5
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As with the Elves, immortality always only refers to the fėar (souls), not the hróar (physical bodies). I thought that was obvious, sorry for leaving it so vague.
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 06:26 PM   #6
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I thought that's what you had to mean.
Just making sure. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2002, 08:52 PM   #7
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sounds like a good Fan Fiction topic in the making...