Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #201
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It's fine by me if Deren is assigned by Haleth to the gates. Quite explicable within the story line. Eodwine's so distracted that he hardly notices, I suspect.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:54 AM   #202
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Alcarillo - tell me if I handled Muriel alright.

I may have a post up for Haleth within the next couple hours, but more likely it won't be until tomorrow sometime.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #203
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Alcarillo - tell me if I handled Muriel alright.
Yep! It was perfect.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:23 AM   #204
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
My deepest apologies, and some answers...

Again, so sorry! I haven't had time online till just this morning, so I've been desperately trying to catch up.

I'll just traul through and answer any questions I've seen to me:

Quote:
Incidentally, does anyone want to get involved with Gurth? He's currently wandering about outside, but maybe he could come in to entertain his Lord further...
Sounds like a plan! Sorn has been spending a little too much time brooding in his room...

Quote:
'm not entirely sure in what direction it lies, and shall leave exact location up to Tara...what do you think? More in the direction of the mountains, or rolling pastures?
I'm preferential to the mountains, if you haven't already written otherwise. If that's the case, anything is fine with me. I also don't have any preference on distance.

As far as the task of questioning suspicious persons, I think it would stir things up nicely to question Sorn. I want to see his confidence falter a little, personally. He's alltogether too pleased with himself!

I shall put up a post of Sorn wandering around, and if Gurth wishes to bump into him, he can.

BIG EDIT: I realised when writing my newest post that I haven't mentioned much of the layout of the House. I think it'll probably be necessary to decide on it somewhat, so that rescuers can find Lin's belongings. I've described it a bit in the post, but I believe it'll be rather confusing!

I have a reference sketch, but it's a very poor job. If you all request I shall provide it, though shyly. Please understand my grasp of design is little to nothing, and my Wacom Tablet sketching skills are more so. If you keep that in mind, you probably won't laugh too much...

- Tara

Last edited by Taralphiel; 06-10-2006 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:15 AM   #205
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There would be a regular guard or two at the gates of Edoras, wouldn't there? So when Deren and the his companions reach the gates, the place is not going to be completely abandoned, is it?

-- Folwren
Old 06-10-2006, 08:52 AM   #206
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I'd say there are probably guards at the gate already.

And as for an interview with Sorn, perhaps an acquaintance of his could mention he's been caught up for a while now in some plan of revenge, and a party could go to interview him (with that evidence) while the rest of the group finds Torim.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #207
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Me again! I've been excited by the burst of activity here, and want to keep it going. Torim is at the Fair, and he shall come forward with his information only after a party has been dispatched to interview Sorn, or when I am informed by the Rescue Party that they are ready, if that plan has changed.

Folwren (Deren) will not be here until next weekend, however, so let's try to time Osfrid and Muriel's arrival to coincide with her return, so that Deren can question the couple at the gate. I was wondering if it might turn out that the two find themselves almost trapped at the Inn while the rest of the rescue takes place...depends on how timing works out.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-14-2006, 02:18 PM   #208
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm on vacation June 15 - June 20. My computer access will be limited.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:07 PM   #209
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I'm thinking that we're about due for a time jump into the evening. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to do during the day, since Osfrid and Muriel won't be arriving until evening, and really, there's only so much we kidnappers can do while sitting around waiting for Lin to be rescued...
Quote:
Folwren (Deren) will not be here until next weekend, however, so let's try to time Osfrid and Muriel's arrival to coincide with her return, so that Deren can question the couple at the gate.
Next weekend as in the 17-18 or 24-25? If the latter, maybe a time jump wouldn't be the thing...
Old 06-15-2006, 01:12 PM   #210
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Jenny, how shall we work Degas's arrival at Dol Amroth and when would you like it to occur?

Have him ride in and be greeted or just assume that it happened and jump to Degas cloistered with Lin's fathre and brothers?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:14 PM   #211
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Next weekend as in tomorrow. I'll jump the time...Anybody have a conversation to finish before I do it?

Expect a post in about an hour and a half.

Fea:

I think it's mainly up to you. After this time jump though, I think he is welcome to arrive. Personally, I'd like to see the greeting, but it's up to you in the end.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:33 PM   #212
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm just not sure exactly how to approach it. Advice for how such a thing would occur would be much appreciated.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #213
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Hmm...well, when you arrive, Marenil's son, who really ought to have a name, poor boy, will probably be the one to greet you. He is Farlen's acting steward. Mid-30s, takes himself seriously...

If you tell him you've come with news about Lin, he'll lead you in to talk to Farlen almost immediately, depending on Farlen's whereabouts. It's early spring, however, so Farlen is likely to be busy in the fields. Most likely you'll be dropped in a lavishly-appointed room and told to wait for Farlen, but either of Lin's brothers (depending on who's home) might wander in.

There...that covers Mar, Jr. and Farlen, so that's my end of it. Sound good to you?

Let's call Mar, Jr. 'Ennahir' (after his mother, but masculine)
Old 06-15-2006, 01:54 PM   #214
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Works for me. Adrigil's at the docks getting ready to leave (they'll, of course, catch him before he sails) and Farahil is probably going to be sparring with an old friend of his somewhere in the general vicinity.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #215
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I can see Eodwine, Garstan, and Thornden heading out with a search party, but I'm not sure how to proceed with it. What do you guys think? Is a search party what we should be doing? Where should we go? What should we do? say? Maybe we need Haleth to give us orders, Firefoot, as to what to do. Just a thought.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:56 PM   #216
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

A search party like the ones Haleth was going to send out into the city? I could see them doing that; if that's what you'd like I can edit my post to include it.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:37 PM   #217
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Fea: Farlen's property is about an hour outside the city in the countryside, so running for Adragil will probably take a while.

I'm going to go ahead and do the time change. If anyone has a post they want to fit in before the time change, post it here and we'll have Pio put it in place.

Last edited by JennyHallu; 06-15-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:46 AM   #218
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
A search party like the ones Haleth was going to send out into the city? I could see them doing that; if that's what you'd like I can edit my post to include it.
Whatever order Haleth deems most appropriate.

Edit: Never mind. It would appear that the volunteers didn't do anything on the first day.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:53 AM   #219
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

If you think they did something on the first day that I didn't leave time for, post it here to be placed properly, or reflect it in flashback. I'm not trying to prevent you from doing anything.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:12 AM   #220
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Eodwine is waiting for orders. As soon as he gets them, he'll do as he is commanded.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:55 AM   #221
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Post edited. I had Haleth send Eodwine (with Thornden and Garstan, if they so choose... they're not really under Haleth's command) out as a search party in the city. Hope that works.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:29 AM   #222
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Oh that's lovely. Perhaps tonight's doings could involve reports on who they spoke to and what was found out? Any thoughts?

Oh! and Folwren should be back today! So we can get the encounter between Osfrid, Muriel, and Deren at the Gate! Yay!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:42 AM   #223
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

thinking in writing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
Fea: Farlen's property is about an hour outside the city in the countryside, so running for Adragil will probably take a while.
That shouldn't be a problem as Degas has a lot of time to kill. Remember, he doesn't get back to Edoras until the morning of Eodwine's court date. That means that (if we're working in a time frame of what, three weeks?) Degas has:

-travel from Edoras to Dol Amroth
-get directions from Dol Amroth to Farlen's estate
-meet Mar, Jr
-sit around contemplating stuff while runners find Farlen and Farahil while someone rides for Adragil
-whatever it is that happens when a noble shows up to tell another noble's family that he lost her (note that I'm a bit lost on these details and will certainly need a little help)
-Farlen leaves and Farahil and Degas have A Chat
-somebody remembers that Degas is hungry and he is given food
-eventually Adragil gets there and Degas, yet again, has explaining to do
-somehow, a couple weeks pass
-Farahil and Degas ride to Edoras

Looking at my only concrete ideas, I'm noticing that in there, somehow, a couple weeks pass.

I'm thinking that for any sort of time span sense-making, there would have to be delays. Degas is going to get waylaid on the road... he won't get there until late "tomorrow" at the earliest. That still leaves too much time.

Is there a possibility that when Degas reaches Farlen's lands, nobody of Lin's family is actually there except maybe Adragil's wife and kids or something? It would take up some time if it took a while for runners to find everybody and then for them to return.

I can have Degas get delayed quite a bit on the road. A storm comes up and he has to seek shelter. While seeking shelter, he finds a young lad on the road near to death from being cold, hungry, and wet. Has to find the young lad somewhere safe to go. Has to figure out what to do with him, as it's not particularly convenient for me to bring the lad to Edoras with him given that Degas has been back all day and the kid hasn't been mentioned plus we already tend to acquire injured strays with a questionable regularity.

Anybody want to pick up the role of a travelling companion for Degas that he finds on the road? I'm thinking to leave him as a ward of Farlen, if that would work out for everybody.

Basically, of all of the diversions I can think of that would require the time spans I need to fill to be filled, finding someone on the road would work out best. It would delay his arrival and his departure as first he'd have to find the kid a place to stay. When that doesn't work out, he's of the type that wouldn't think of leaving him behind and would resolve to bring him along until he found him a suitable home and apprenticeship or whatever.

---------------------------Begin Clear Thoughts Here:------------------

Okay, so now that I've thought "aloud" and come up with a few things, here is my plan to take up time and make Degas's part a bit more interesting and it also solves a problem I'd been having that doesn't pertain to anybody else, so don't worry about it.

My next post will involve Degas at an inn somewhere talking to the innkeeper about the fate of the boy being spoon-fed broth in the next room over. It'll be a flashback post of Degas finding the boy and bringing him to safety. The innkeeper will inform Degas that, for whatever reasons, the boy can't stay. Degas will ponder for a bit and then decide to bring the boy along, once the bad weather passes (roads will be bad for riding for a couple days... big storm, you know) and once the boy is fit to ride.

Does anybody want to write the part of the boy? If not, I'll write up a quick character bio and do it myself.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:30 AM   #224
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, that helps. Any idea what to put together, Celuien & Folwren?

My sense is that Eodwine will have Thornden and Garstan come with him to seek out likely places where information might be garnered. Other inns? Marketplaces? Perhaps we should construct what has happened on this day on the discussion thread before posting up?
Old 06-16-2006, 01:55 PM   #225
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
My sense is that Eodwine will have Thornden and Garstan come with him to seek out likely places where information might be garnered. Other inns? Marketplaces? Perhaps we should construct what has happened on this day on the discussion thread before posting up?
That makes sense. I'd think that marketplaces and inns would be great places for news, and logical places for the group to check.

Also, we could work in whether or not Sorn is on that list of suspects (I don't remember seeing any comments on the list), and whether or not anyone has been eliminated from the list by being too far from Edoras. The geography question has been on Garstan's mind, and was probably asked at some point during the day.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:10 PM   #226
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

My save is filled. The boy is sleeping. Degas won't reach Farlen's estates for at least two or three days.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #227
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
That makes sense. I'd think that marketplaces and inns would be great places for news, and logical places for the group to check.

Also, we could work in whether or not Sorn is on that list of suspects (I don't remember seeing any comments on the list), and whether or not anyone has been eliminated from the list by being too far from Edoras. The geography question has been on Garstan's mind, and was probably asked at some point during the day.
Who's on the list?
Old 06-17-2006, 10:28 AM   #228
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Who's on the list?
Just what I was wondering.

I suppose that Sorn should be on it. It would certainly make our job in the search party easier. We could make up some additional potential disaffected Rohirric nobles to be on the list as well. But if a few of the suspects are more than a day's ride fom Edoras, they could be eliminated, leaving the seach party with maybe 3-5 possibilities, including Sorn.

So during the day, maybe the party asked around the taverns and marketplaces about those suspects and heard from Sorn's acquaintance about his bad mood. Unless we're moving too quickly.

Thoughts?
Old 06-17-2006, 10:30 AM   #229
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I suggested Manawyth's accuser Cuichelm as an option earlier...
Old 06-17-2006, 10:46 AM   #230
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

So you did, Ang. Thanks for reminding.

List:
Sorn
Cuichelm

And a few more...
Old 06-17-2006, 12:00 PM   #231
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Why not have Saeryn and Degas's older brother Fenrir on the list?

He's a sketchy character from the Folde... quite close enough to be a suspect, at least in the mind of anybody that knows of his relationship with his siblings (cough Eodwine cough). If he found out that Saeryn was in Edoras (he has, I just haven't done anything about it yet) and he learned that the queen's cousin had become friends with her, I wouldn't put it past him to know something about this fiasco. He might be someone worth looking into, especially now that I have more time on my hands, if you guys are interested.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #232
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

List:
Sorn
Cuichelm
Fenrir

...and a few more...
Old 06-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #233
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes, I am back, as Jenny observed, and I am quite excited about meeting Alcarillo's characters at the gates.

As for what to do with Thornden, Eodwine, and Garstan searching in the city and with the list of names, I have no suggestions as of now. I'll think on the problem, but don't expect any ideas until Monday from me, I'm worn out and can't think very well yet.

--

Oh, and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elempi's signature
Is your will your own?
I definitely think so.

-- Folwren
Old 06-17-2006, 09:39 PM   #234
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Save filled. Osfrid and Muriel have reached the gates, with Deren approaching. Take it away, Folwren.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #235
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alright, I finally got a post up. Sorry it took me so long.

Alcarillo, I did talk for your character. If you do not want me to do that, or if you don't like what I said, you can have it changed.

---

And, Tara, I'm not sure if I'll be able to reach you any place else, so I figure I could say it here. In the Mead Hall thread, Thornden's gone in to talk to Lys again.

-- Folwren
Old 06-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #236
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

I'd like to move the time ahead by...oh...say...Monday. This next time jump will encompass either 2-3 days, to the final discovery of Sorn's perfidy, and Degas' arrival at Dol Amroth. Please wrap up what you need to over the next three days, and put some thought into what has occurred in the interval.

Does this sound good to everyone? We seem to be stagnating.

Oh...and I'd like a vote on whether it should be two or three days skipped.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:34 PM   #237
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

I'm leaving for about a week the day after tomorrow, without a computer, so whoever's at the Mead Hall might have to do Osfrid's spying for me. I'll post tomorrow, getting Osfrid and Muriel to the Hall.

I vote to skip ++Two Days. Less of an interval.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:17 AM   #238
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Three's better for me, but I'm just writing cameos. It makes no real difference.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:26 AM   #239
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Do as you wish, I have no preference. A time jump sounds fine and reasonable, and two or three days makes little difference in my mind. Three days is more likely, as it will probably take longer than just two days to find him out.

Monday morning I'm leaving again and won't be returning until Friday afternoon.

-- Folwren
Old 06-23-2006, 08:41 AM   #240
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Save filled, finally.