The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
Yeade
Pile O'Bones

Yeade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Yeade Send a message via Skype™ to Yeade
White Tree God, I'm not cut out to be a genealogist...

Hi all,

The newest member of the Barrow-Downs humbly sends greetings. I look forward to many lively discussions in the company of friends here, and I hope I will acquit myself well for as long as I'm part of this community.

As my welcome present, I offer a project I've been working on in my spare time. I often find myself at a loss when it comes to LOTR genealogy, and while the Hobbit family trees in the ROTK appendices are a great help, I don't have easy access to the like for the other characters. I didn't know of any such resources online so I decided to draw up my own genealogies, mainly for personal use, though hopefully others will find these helpful.

Thus far, the only one I have in presentable form is Aragorn's line. I would appreciate any suggestions, corrections or additions. If it's not too much trouble.

I'd taken pains to get the entire line in one chart, only to find I couldn't upload files larger than 5 MB to Geocities. The chart is now split into two parts, which can be accessed at the below link:

http://www.geocities.com/zincpiccalilli/index.html (ETA: dead link)

Both files are, well, rather large, so please be patient. Also, the bandwidth might be exceeded while downloading. I don't have the technical skills to do any better. Any ideas here would be welcome.

Now, a few notes:

Probably the nicest thing about the whole tedious business is that I could color code the chart. I've always had a hard time differentiating between men and women when the names get exotic, so I took the liberty of doing so by color. I've also numbered six lines of noble succession with separate colors (okay, okay, the Lords of Andúnië are only two), as well as made notes of racial divisions.

Speaking of exotic names, I had a helluva time with the Númenórean royals and the Kings of Gondor. Don't hesitate to point out any inaccuracies. The same goes for all the names and information, really.

Dotted lines are used to represent separation by one or more generations (except in the special case of Melian). Any numbers on the lines count the generations between those connected. So, for example, since Vëantur is the grandfather of Almarian, but no father or mother is known to me, there's a dotted line with a one centered on it.

On the topic of organization, I'm afraid I couldn't stick to placing siblings in age from eldest to youngest, left to right. I also couldn't manage to consistently place the married couples. In the interest of saving space and avoiding long connections, I've probably made many awkward mistakes. I don't really know the rules of drawing family trees, but I'm sure I've broken a few. Please forgive.

A few questions:

Is there anything else on the Lords of Andúnië? I thought Eärendur was about during the reign of Ar-Sakalthôr, but things don't quite work out that way when counting generations. I feel like I'm missing something.

I tried to label the various groupings of Elves, but only got as far as Vanyar, Noldor, and Sindar. As I understand it, the Sindar are a subgroup of the Teleri, which also include the Falmari, Nandor, and Silvan Elves. Olwë is, I think, the only one who counts as Falmari. I have no clue whether there are any Elves on the chart who belong to the other two groups. The Lórien Elves are Silvan, like those in Mirkwood, but neither Celeborn nor Galadriel are of the same descent. Frankly, I'm confused.

Those are the only two clear questions I can come up with right now. Besides that, I generally feel a bit inadequate. There are a lot of holes in this genealogy, and I don't have the knowledge to determine whether these result from my ignorance or there wasn't anything to be ignorant of.

Um, okay. Thanks for putting up with my rambling.

Cheers,
Yeade

Last edited by Yeade; 04-09-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Yeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Welcome to the downs Yeade, if you want to make an introduction The New Members thread would be the place to do it. Yes, it does get quite confusing, and I don't even attempt to figure out genealogies but I think I can help you with a few things...

Quote:
I tried to label the various groupings of elves, but only got as far as Vanyar, Noldor, and Sindar. As I understand it, the Sindar are a subgroup of the Teleri, which also include the Falmari, Nandor, and Silvan Elves. Olwë is, I think, the only one who counts as Falmari. I have no clue whether there are any elves on the chart who belong to the other two groups. The Lórien elves are Silvan, like those in Mirkwood, but neither Celeborn nor Galadriel are of the same descent. Frankly, I'm confused.
It's like a tree, there's two big groupings the Eldar and the Avari. The Eldar are the elves that journeyed from Cuivienen to Beleriand, the Avari were the ones who refused. The Eldar break further into Vanyar, Noldor, and Teleri. All Vanyar, Noldor, and some Teleri that went to the Undying Lands in the days of the two trees were Calaquendi. The Teleri that didn't go to the Undying lands are further broken down into Sindar, Nandor, and Laiquendi. That's the basics.

As to answer the question of Galadriel and Celeborn...Celeborn was Teleri, and was one of them that went to the Undying lands (some years after Galadriel left). Galadriel was a Noldor Elf, she created Lorien as to sort of mimic the Undying lands, and she sustained it with the power of her ring, Nenya. Yes, the rest of the elves in Lorien are Sindar. So once Nenya lost it's power, Lorien faded away.

Last edited by Boromir88; 03-24-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
Yeade
Pile O'Bones

I wasn't sure where to post, and I thought all the genealogy stuff would warrant a new thread. Sorry if this was a breach of forum etiquette.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
All Vanyar, Noldor, and some Teleri that went to the Undying Lands in the days of the Two Trees were Calaquendi. The Teleri that didn't go to the Undying Lands are further broken down into Sindar, Nandor, and Laiquendi.
So, Calaquendi is more a title than a... family grouping? In that the Calaquendi Elves all belong to another group in addition, one that probably has more impact on, say, physical characteristics or social mannerisms.

With Celeborn being Sindar and Galadriel Noldor, how exactly did the two of them end up Lord and Lady of Lothlórien? Is that even allowed? I can't remember if there was anything on this in The Silmarillion. I kept confusing myself and thinking there's some connection between the Lórien Elves and Celeborn's relations because of similarities in the names: the Lórien Elves are also called the Galadhrim, and Celeborn married Galadriel, with Galadhon as father, Galathil as brother. Only then there's also Gil-galad. Now I see this is just an Elvish naming streak. Thanks for clearing that up.

Last edited by Yeade; 04-09-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Moderator's note

Nothing to worry about, Yeade, no forum etiquette has been harmed in the making of this thread! You're fine with starting a new thread for a new topic. Welcome to the Downs, and enjoy yourself here!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
Yeade
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Nothing to worry about, Yeade, no forum etiquette has been harmed in the making of this thread!
Whew, that's good to know. Thank you.

I updated the family tree with a few more names and as many dates as I could look up. Naturally, this created more... issues.

Most of the new names belong to the Houses of Bëor, Haleth, and Hador. And unfortunately--in the House of Bëor particularly--I have no way of determining the gender of all these people. I mean, it just doesn't seem likely that everyone has as many sons as Fëanor, give or take a couple! In those sections--also notable is the lineage of Hallacar, husband of Númenórean Queen Tar-Ancalimë--I, er, arbitrarily marked people as women. Any hints here would be very helpful.

I did the best I could with the dates, but there are a lot of uncertainties and a lot of holes. The higher up in the tree, the less confident I am about the dates. While editing the chart, I mentally checked a few points to ask about later, but I can only remember one... Drat. At any rate, I can throw out my one question. Amrod and Amras, the twins of Fëanor, were both lost in the assault on the Mouths of Sirion, right? When exactly was that?

Oh, and on the notation, most of the abbreviations and such used are pretty standard, I think. The various royals have two bracketed numbers. The first, in italics, is the number of years ruling; the second is the date his or her reign ended, usually also the date of death. Herucalmo in the Númenórean line and Castamir of Gondor have dates in parentheses as both are essentially usurpers of their respective thrones. Aragorn's dates aren't formatted with italics yet because [whine] it was 3 AM, I was tired, I didn't notice the error until I'd already uploaded the damn 4+ MB thing, and I just couldn't be bothered to fix the numbers, then wait another five or something minutes to upload the file again! [/whine] I've already added the italics, but will wait and see if there are other corrections to be made before uploading the new version.

So, any takers? There must be mistakes, I know it... And, as always, I'm open to suggestions for improvements. For one, should I mark birth dates during the Age of the Trees? I didn't--it seemed more excessive than I'm willing to let this already excessive project get--but if it helps...

Last edited by Yeade; 09-02-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
White Tree

You might want to check this thread out, especially since it has a very complete although not perfect tree of the Eldar and Edain genealogy.

Eldar

Look at post 32.

Some things that come to my mind after seeing your trees are the following:
Why do you have Erenion as the son of Fingon?
You should read the Shibboleth of Fëanor to have a fresher perspective.
Orodreth shold be the son of Angrod and Eldalótë, and Erenion should be the son of Orodreth and brother to Finduilas.

You might also want to inlcude Arakáno, who is the younger brother of Fingon and Turgon. And have Anairë as the wife of Ñolofinwë.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:11 PM   #7
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeade
Most of the new names belong to the Houses of Bëor, Haleth, and Hador. And unfortunately - in the House of Bëor particularly - I have no way of determining the gender of all these people. I mean, it just doesn't seem likely that everyone has as many sons as Fëanor, give or take a couple! In those sections - also notable is the lineage of Hallacar, husband of Númenórean Queen Tar-Ancalimë - I, er, arbitrarily marked people as women. Any hints here would be very helpful.
In general, unless mentioned as women, wives, or daughters, it's generally a safe assumption to assume that a name belongs to a man. This doesn't mean that Arda was overbalanced by one gender, just that the names and lineage of most women were never recorded or remembered in the records in the same way as those of men.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
Yeade
Pile O'Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maédhros
You might want to check this thread out, especially since it has a very complete although not perfect tree of the Eldar and Edain genealogy.
Thanks for the link! I'll be sure to comb carefully through the thread when I have a free night. (Though I do wish I had this resource before I started as it's much, much easier to build on the work of others when doing these family trees. Ah, well.) It's very helpful.

I think I'm going to have to do some major revamping to account for your corrections and the information in the thread. Both halves are close to the 5 MB upload limit, so I'll be forced to split the chart into thirds. I want the cuts to be natural or at least logical. The most obvious cut, I think, is at Elros and Elrond; that's where the first version was split. I had trouble placing the Númenórean royals, but settled for tacking it to the first half. After adding in dates, expanding the three Houses of Men and the Númenórean line, I couldn't get all the Kings of Númenor into one half. Thus the, IMHO, rather awkward cut in the current version. If I'm going to further detail the Eldar lines, I think I'll cut at Elros and Elrond, then move all the Númenórean royals into the next third. The question, then, is how to make the second cut. I feel a bit uneasy about chopping apart the lines of Elendil--I think because I take the whole fuss over unbroken succession to heart--but I must balance the material in the last two thirds. Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
In general, unless mentioned as women, wives, or daughters, it's generally a safe assumption to assume that a name belongs to a man. This doesn't mean that Arda was overbalanced by one gender, just that the names and lineage of most women were never recorded or remembered in the records in the same way as those of men.
Yes, that certainly seems to be the case. It's the daughters aspect of it that gives me a loophole I can use to satisfy both the feminist (equality of the sexes) and artist (balance and variation in color) in me. So, I suppose I'll just keep those arbitrary women unless canon explicitly or implicitly says otherwise.

Not that the process of marking out women is totally arbitrary. Just subjective, based on naming patterns or me deciding such-and-such sounds a bit feminine. I mean, I thought Tolkien was quite particular in naming his characters, so perhaps there are etymological clues as to gender. Sounds a bit far-fetched, but it's the only idea I can think of that's worth pursuing. It's just beyond what I can do. Opinions on this would be welcome.

Maédhros, Formendacil, thank you both for your comments.

Last edited by Yeade; 04-09-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
Yeade
Pile O'Bones

Whew! The family tree's been updated with the information in the thread Maédhros was kind enough to point out for me and divided into three roughly equal sections for the site. I've also added the birth dates of Elendil and all his kingly descendants, corrected Aragorn's dates so that he's not living in the Second Age, put the Lords of Andúnië in order, and fixed the omission of dates for Elrond's children and Gilraen. I'd somehow missed those mistakes the last three or something times I corrected the tree; apparently my brain melts into gray mush halfway down the chart...

At any rate, in the course of all these corrections, I felt perhaps I'd given everyone the wrong impression of my access to and knowledge of Tolkien's works. I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in 3rd grade... and just recently read the latter a second time. I read The Silmarillion sometime in middle school--once--and never read it again (though I plan to do so over the summer). Until I came to these boards, I'd never even heard of The History of Middle-Earth! The family tree was mainly put together by clicking through all the relevant links at The Encyclopedia of Arda and The Encyclopedia of Middle-earth. Thus, in the first version, I didn't have any dates--I just didn't know many--the Three Houses of the Edain grew and grew, and there were many mistakes in the genealogies of the Eldar.

I've been persistently annoying people here because I know the online resources aren't complete (or even accurate in some cases), but I'm too broke to buy the books I need and don't have access to through libraries. I don't have the knowledge to spot errors.

So, Maédhros, when you suggested I brush up on "The Shibboleth of Fëanor," I had no idea what you were talking about. I figured I'd attempt to find it myself before I pestered you, and eventually I realized it was in HOME. I browsed the two libraries I had easy access to and came up with HOME Volumes IX, XI, and XII. Thankfully, "The Shibboleth" is in HOME 12, along with the handy "The Heirs of Elendil," which I cross-referenced with what I had and took all those neat birth dates for this latest version from. I'm still perusing "The Shibboleth," but expect there'll be more corrections. I hope also to read "The History of the Akallabêth," then clear up, once and for all, the Three Houses of the Edain from the information in HOME 11. Hell, I think I'm probably going to end up reading the index.

The other volumes of HOME aren't readily available to me... Could anyone tell me what other volumes would be useful? So I have a clue as to which ones I should track down? If it's not too much trouble? Or any other material I should reference, really. For one, I should probably read The Akallabêth and check the Númenórean line, but I'm not entirely sure where that is... Is there truly nothing on the royal lines of Cardolan and Rhudaur? I would be thankful for any pointers.

Last edited by Yeade; 04-09-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:03 PM   #10
Yeade
Pile O'Bones

Finished "The Shibboleth of Fëanor" and read again "The Heirs of Elendil." Made a number of minor corrections.

On lotr-a.bmp:
Írimë's name corrected from Irímë
Fingon's daughter Erien (wrongly marked as a son), son Finbor, and grandchildren erased as rejected by Tolkien in later genealogies
Artanaro (which should be Artanáro) Gil-galad erased as another name for Ereinion Gil-galad
Ereinion Gil-galad finally, finally placed as son of Orodreth, brother of Finduilas

On lotr-b.bmp:
Ornendil died III 1446, nine years after father Eldacar was deposed
Fíriel born III 1896

On lotr-c.bmp:
Valandil's reign amended from 247 to 239 years (III 10-249)
Beleg's date of death changed from III 1026 to 1029; accordingly he ruled for 83, not 80, years
Mallor's reign, which follows, lasted 81 years instead of 84
Arvedui ruled 11 years, not 10
Fíriel born III 1896
Dírhael descended from Aranarth through Arathorn I

Also of note, on lotr-a.bmp:

Indis is shown as the sister of Ingwë despite the fact that, in HOME 12, she "is said to have been the daughter of King Ingwë's sister." Apparently HOME 10 places her as I have. I don't know which of the two has more weight, but in the selfish interest to avoid shifting the entire tree from Indis on down to insert that extra generation, I didn't follow HOME 12. There's a bit of wiggle room, in that she is said to have been... Okay, yeah, I'm grasping for straws.

Faniel and Finrun Felageomor also remain on the tree largely because just thinking about the rearranging I have to do makes my head hurt and fingers itch. As I understand it, Faniel is in HOME 10, Finrun in HOME 4. I don't have access to either so, again, I can't say whether what I've done is acceptable.

Last edited by Yeade; 09-02-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:45 PM   #11
JorgeLuisJorge

Tolkien About the genealogy

I used a genealogic tree what i found on the web (the name of the creator was "Eril", maybe you can know who is he, i'm not in all this) and i reform it acording on what i found over the web, and when i (thought that) finished the work, i print. And now i'm doing a genealogic tree of the hobbits family, like Baggins, Gamgee, Took, Brandybuck and Bolger, Boffin, Proudfoot, etc.
I don't know if the names are trues of falses. I can't choose none of them because i don't have the book (only Silmarillion, Hobbit, and LOTR) but i do what i can. I don't remember so well, but, is not true that in the Silmarillion Ereinion Gil-Galad is the son of Fingon?
I have all the works in a 300 Kb zip (still on construction) but i don't where can i post it.

On the page http://www.annalsofarda.dk/Annals-of...rdoRhutext.htm is a table of the Kings of Arthedain, Cardolan and Rhuadaur... Are this men really kings of those kingdoms?

Well, this is all that i can write with my poor english. I expect it can help you.

Jorge Luis.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:39 PM   #12
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
First of all, welcome, and you've done a wonderful job!

Quote:
With Celeborn being Sindar and Galadriel Noldor, how exactly did the two of them end up Lord and Lady of Lothlórien? Is that even allowed? I can't remember if there was anything on this in The Silmarillion. I kept confusing myself and thinking there's some connection between the Lórien Elves and Celeborn's relations because of similarities in the names: the Lórien Elves are also called the Galadhrim, and Celeborn married Galadriel, with Galadhon as father, Galathil as brother. Only then there's also Gil-galad. Now I see this is just an Elvish naming streak. :P Thanks for clearing that up.
The Lorien elves are called the Galadhrim, Galadh is Sindarin for Tree I believe, to they are the People of the Trees. However, Galadriel uses the stem Galad, meaning light in Quenya; I cannot remember but I think her name means Maiden of Light or some such thing. Gil-Galad again comes from Galad, Quenya for light, the name means Star-light. The similarity comes from the words Galadh and Galad in the two Elven languages being so similar. Hope this helps.

I also thought Ereinion Gil-Galad was the son of Fingon.

TGWBS

EDIT: I've just checked my copy of the Silm, Gil-galad is the son of Fingon in the latest version.
EDIT II: A minor note: Maiar and Vanyar are plurals (as are most Quenya words ending in "r"), the singular should be Maia and Vanya in lotr-a.bmp.
Again, congratulations on tackling so great a task.

Last edited by the guy who be short; 05-21-2005 at 02:47 PM.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 05:26 PM   #13
JorgeLuisJorge

White Tree My little work

This is an small screenshot of what i did (such like i say before the zip's size is around 300 Kb, and all the files 12 Mb). It doesn't have any kind of dates, only names. Like Yadie and the guy that did the table i used for the same purpose, i try to keep a certain color code.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg completo.jpg (91.4 KB, 803 views)