The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2003, 02:12 PM   #41
ArcticWyrm

Shield

I was 9 when I read the Hobbit, and 10 when I read the rest. Im 14 right now and a bookworm. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2003, 08:27 PM   #42
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

I read The Hobbit when I was eight, and LOTR when I was nine. And every year after that.

Quote:
Nobody else barricaded themselves in their room and refused to come out for anything but food and other necessities until they completed all three plus appendices?
Well, the first time I read it, I basically spent the whole summer in my room reading... so if that counts....

Quote:
Younger readers will not appriciate the beautiful works of LOTR, I did not understand it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I didn't understand it, in the sense that I understand it now, when I first read it. There was much that I missed. But I did derive a great sense of wonder from it. Looking back now, I feel that there is an immense amount to be gained from the Books when you are young and your imagination is at its height that you can never totally recapture as an adult reader, however greater your understanding is in other ways.

So, I don't think it matters at all that a young reader may not appreciate everything about the work - especially when they have many years of re-reading pleasure before them.
I agre, Saucepan.... I loved it, and I think I got most of it, but every time I read it again, I pick up more.... Altogether quite a pleasant arrangement.

Quote:
Not to mention that a lot of kids might get choked up on the style Tolkien has.
Now, I don't want to sound arrogant here, but it seems to me that a lot of us who love and really "get" Tolkien are the intelligent ones. It's the so-called "smart kids" who can read and enjoy LOTR, whereas the others get bored and quit (I saw this happen to two boys in my sixth grade). I think young kids reading LOTR is great, as long as they enjoy it. I for one wasn't scared by it.... well, maybe a little bit.... okay, okay, I admit, some things still scare me, but the scary parts are scary by necessity. And I have problems with Shelob because I'm rather arachnophobic.

Anyway, back to the point, miellien, I think that as long as your son wants to read the Hobbit and LOTR, he should go for it.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 08:41 PM   #43
Seagull Jonathan L.
Pile O'Bones

Seagull Jonathan L. has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I was 14.I remember that I didn't let my brother come into the house until he brought me the second book.It was fun
Old 10-19-2003, 10:57 PM   #44
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was in 7th grade when I first started to read the Hobbit and then the LOTR trilogy. All thanks to my dad for having an old book collection in which was contained 1960's editions of the Hobbit and LOTR. I'm 18 now, but I don't feel like doing the math. Typical lazy teen, huh? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2003, 04:55 AM   #45
Eggy
Haunting Spirit

Eggy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well i first read the Hobbit when i was 16 and since then ive ate all tolkien i could find, but i think if somebody were to read it when they were too young they would miss alot of the little beauties. Or mabey im just to sad in my old age. (19 hehe)
Old 10-21-2003, 01:09 AM   #46
miellien
Animated Skeleton

miellien has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Wow, this has gone all the way to 2 pgs! About the kid in question: he hardly reads anything beyond a 10 chapter book, although I know he's capable of more. I would like him to be a Tolkien fan, but not necessarily fan-atic. I don't think it's genetic; or maybe his dad's lack of interest cancels out my fanatic genes. Did that make any sense? So I guess when you combine an avid reader of all topics and an anti-reader who is obsessed with sports, you get a boy who reads sports books. Would like to expand that realm!!When I let him watch the movies, it was all part of my evil plan to do so! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2003, 04:55 AM   #47
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Its very fun to read about this! Here's my story...
I am a new fanatic. I dived right into it! But when I was young I watched The Hobbit all the time. It was only until after I heard they were making a movie I thought I should read the books. And now two years later I'm on my forth history of middle-earth book and I love it! Everyone thinks I'm crazy and I think I am. Even my sister who read Lotr first and told me to says I'm insane. Now I'm the one trying to convice HER to read Silm... got any ideas by the way on how to make/force/get her to read it!? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 06:16 AM   #48
Donnoliel, Elven Warrior Princess

Silmaril

i first read the lord of the rings at 7, after seeing a play version of the hobbit. i only got past the first chapter and didn't understand it at all. after fotr came out in cinemas i read it again at 12. didn't understand the concept or difference of ringwraiths or orcs.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:28 AM   #49
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I was 17 when I read the hobbit and started on the Fellowship. I think I was at the Prancing Pony when I turned 18 (how appropriate) and read the rest of the trilogy at that age. I was 19 when the Silmarillion came out and I read some of it, but got bogged down in it and didn't pick it up again until I was 20. I was 27 when I picked up a copy of the Unfinished Tales.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:52 AM   #50
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read Lotr recently, i tjink i was 13 and im 15 now. I have also recently started reading the sillmarilion.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:13 AM   #51
Eggy
Haunting Spirit

Eggy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thinks its all about wanting to read, "the collection" as its called in my house, or needing to read "the collection". I had to read it to keep myself sane(a kinda stress relief more than anything else) because the story kept just playing over and over again in my head, and i couldnt put it down because i was always wanting to know wat happened next...
Old 10-22-2003, 03:47 AM   #52
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

What strikes me in this thread - almost everyone here had their first encounter with LotR as children or teenagers! Maybe because you belong to a generation whose parents were already fond of Tolkien and so introduced their children to his works?

Well, I am the big exception here, since with me, it was just the other way round. I first read LotR at the age of 50 !! (That was 2 1/2 years ago. I surely must be the grandmother of this forum [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

´Heaven knows why I never came across Tolkien before. It was only when my son (then 15) read the Hobbit and LotR that I discovered it.
The funny thing is that I soon got much more "hooked" than he! For him it was just another exciting adventure and fantasy story, but for me it was kind of a revelation.
I have read much in my life, yet no other book has ever so thrilled, moved and fascinated me and stirred such an interest in its author and all his writings and thoughts.

Miellien, I understand you very well. I also have a husband who never reads any fiction... My boys both like fiction and fantasy but they were both very late and slow readers (they preferred for a long time that I read to them) I hope they will reread LotR (in English, since they only read the German translation which lacks all the charm and beauty of Tolkiens wonderful language) later in life.
Because, as several others have mentioned adults do get more out of LotR!

Like Tolkien himself stated in one of his letters (189):
Quote:
I find that many children become interested, even engrossed, in The Lord of the Rings, from about 10 onwards. I think it rather a pity, really. It was not written for them. But then I am a very "unvoracious" reader, and since I can seldom bring myself to read a work twice, I think of the many things that I read - too soon! Nothing, not even a (possible) deeper appreciation, for me replaces the bloom on a book, the freshness of the unread. Still what we read and when goes, like the people we meet, by "fate".
On the other hand, Tolkien had stated in "On Fairy-stories":
Quote:
...though it may be better for children to read some things, especially fairy-stories, that are beyond their measure rather than short of it. Their books, like their clothes should allow for growth, and their books at any rate should encourage it.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:24 PM   #53
Fyara
Pile O'Bones

Fyara has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Fyara Send a message via AIM to Fyara
Sting

I read the hobbit when i was like 7 years old and also lotr. Ive been reading all my life and have read about 3000 books :P im currently 18 will be 19 on april 9 :P
Old 10-24-2003, 09:27 AM   #54
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

I read the books first when I was 23 years old, in January 2002, after a failed
viewing of FOTR in theaters - yes the orcs scared me silly as I didn't understand what they were. I saw enough of the movie that I had to read the books to find out what happened to Frodo after he was stabbed by the Witch King and so I read the books - and LOVED them!!!

I have since reread them once since then and I have now stalled (just outside of Moria) on a third reading as I began to read another series...
Old 10-25-2003, 03:06 PM   #55
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saw the making of the movie for the Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring before Christmas Break of 2001 when I was 15, and I was totally awestruck by it, and after watching the behind he scenes special, I went out and bought the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and read them in a few days, fell in love with the story and feel the exact same about the books to this day. They are classics.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:52 AM   #56
Galenondowen
Newly Deceased

Galenondowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Galenondowen
Question

My cousin recommended LOTR to me, about the same time the Fellowship of the Ring's about to be shown in cinemas. I, by then 14 or so, had never heard of LOTR, and thought that nothing's gonna be better than Harry Potter. (Ignorant, huh?) Anyway, I listened to my cousin's advice, and got myself a copy. I watched both the film and books at the same time, and became totally obsessed with it. The passion dies down a little now, but I still regard LOTR as the best books and movies ever. ^_^
Sorry for drifting off! -_-;; I read Hobbit at the age of 15 I think, and then Silmarilion some time before turning 16.

Oh, do you know where I can get some good avatars?
Shall I strike or shall I fall? What will be my destiny? Must I go on in despare? May I turn back with tired heart? I would not forget the pain, When my wings were torn away. Though this is the fate I have, It never is the life I chose. I hate lingering in this world, Yet here I am, And will be so.
Galenondowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 07:41 PM   #57
Elizabeth Elindel
Pile O'Bones

Elizabeth Elindel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read them when I was about 13, actally, I have a funny story about that. See, my younger brother got "The Hobbit" first, and read it (he was 12). He kept talking to me about "this great book that I really should read", but I didn't want to admit that I was intersted. <sigh> At last, I happened to pick it up one day, read it in about four hours (yeah, I read fast) and was hooked. However, I didn't want to let on. Next, he wanted me to get the FotR for him. I got it, but secretly read it first, hiding it under my pillow. I gave it back to him after I was done (about three days later) and admited it to him. BUT... guess what? I did the same thing with the TT! We never got the RotK from the liberay, I got the set for Christmas. I've been hooked ever since. :-)
~ Elizabeth Elindel
Old 11-01-2003, 10:45 PM   #58
Mantauriel
Newly Deceased

Mantauriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I remember it... I was seven. Though it's only been about four years scince I began! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Elladan and Elrohir stared at Rumil, Haldir, and Orophin before them. Legolas had a blank stare to all. "See the creature? Ready to kill us?" Figwit sighed and Aragorn pointed to the object Legolas was reffering to.

"That's a rock."
Mantauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 08:17 AM   #59
GhastlyInnocence

Sting

I read them either just before or after I turned 16 I can’t remember anymore.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:17 PM   #60
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read Hobbit when I was 10 and LotR when I was 11. Hmm... that was only a few years back and now I have all of the History of Middle-earth and I've read the Silmarillion!
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 10:48 PM   #61
Leona
Animated Skeleton

Leona has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I actually had my father read me "The Hobbit" when I was about 7, so 10 is not too young. We began reading the FOTR, but never got very far. I kind of forgot about it, and saw the FOTR movie without even thinking about reading the books first. Amazingly, the entire movie made perfect sense, and so did the FOTR when I finally got around to reading it. But TTT was so much more complicated for me, I got it and everything, but it was just so much more complex. I think that seeing the movie helped me get a general idea of the direction of the story, so I could consentrate on some of the details that made the story so memorable. People say that seeing the movie ruines the experience, but from where I'm standing, you did the right thing by letting him see the movie before he reads the books. But, that is just my opinion, hope it helps.

Later,
Leona

P.S. Come to think of it, I'm still working on locating any other books on Middle Earth. I am not very determined, I should try harder.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:49 PM   #62
miellien
Animated Skeleton

miellien has just left Hobbiton.
Hobbit flashback!!I suddenly realized that i wore out a recording of "The Hobbit" which went with a little illustrated book when I was about 5. Now, that was to go with the old animated movie, and it was on a record. Spinning discs that contained sounds that we had in the olden days. So, my own ME obsession goes back farther than I originally remembered.
The unsuspecting boy's b-day is this month. I'm not making The Hobbit his present, but I will get him his own copy this month and see what happens. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2003, 10:47 AM   #63
Gorlim

Sting

Age o' 9 years here! I was an extremely literary child, though. My mum introduced the books to me when I was in 4th grade and I've been in love with them ever since.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:57 PM   #64
Eowyn:Lady of Rohan
Pile O'Bones

Eowyn:Lady of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I began reading LOTR when I was 14 years old. I've read it two more times since then, and I'm 18 years old. As one gets older he/she will understand the book better.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:40 AM   #65
barandilwen
Animated Skeleton

barandilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

When i first read the Hobbit, i was 11 yrs. old. My uncle gave it to me as a birthday present, then he gave me Lotr, Fotr and Lotr, Ttt, Christmas that year, and eventually i read it and the rest was history! i'm now 14 years old and I have read 7 books of Tolkein [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2003, 05:07 AM   #66
Arwen_Evenstar
Wight

Arwen_Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I read the Hobbit first, then found LOTR too complicated (i was nine at the time). Then i fogot about the trilogy until FotR came out at the movies, then when i saw that i FELL IN LOVE! By the time TTT came out I had read the trilogy Three times, and now i have read it four. My plan is to read it anually from now on.

Now i have read the Sil, UT, Tales of the Perilous Realm, A few of the HoM-E, and many more that I can't bring to mind at present...but i have two shelves dedicated to the Wonderful World of Tolkien!
There's my story!!!
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Have a nice day!

[ November 07, 2003: Message edited by: Arwen_Evenstar ]
Old 11-11-2003, 01:02 PM   #67
Dolenarda

Ring

I was 11 when i read the hobbit, and 13 when i read the fellowship. I didnt see the fellowship movie till this year, and i'm 24
Old 11-15-2003, 10:22 AM   #68
lothiriel
Haunting Spirit

lothiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

When I first read FotR I was 10 or 11. I found it sooo boring, I stopped reading it before I even had read the prologue!

Then, two years ago, when I was 13, I started reading it again. And I LOVED it. Then I got The Hobbit for Christmas, and I liked it, too. But I found it a bit irritating to read, as it was translated differently than the trilogy. They had different words for "hobbit" and some of the place names, and such.

As you can see I read the trilogy before I read The Hobbit, and I regret that a bit...

I read the Silmarillion when I was 14, and the Unfinished Tales earlier this year, in the age of 15. Right now I'm reading the Book of Lost Tales 1.

That's my story. I won't let my children read the trilogy before they read the trilogy. And I won't let them read the trilogy before I think they are able to understand it.
lothiriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 11:23 AM   #69
kittiegirl
Haunting Spirit

kittiegirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiegirl
Sting

Um, okay, I read the Hobbit when I was almost 12, and I skipped through parts of it because i thought it was boring.
Then I did the same thing with the trilogy.
I saw the movies after I "read" the books, and I only really read the parts which were in the movies(which proves how much I actually read)

Then in January of this year, I read The Hobbit again, and i was a little shocked at how much I had missed out on.
I read The trilogy again too,(This started my anguish against Peter Jackson)

I highly reccomend kids, like say 11 at the youngest NOT reading LOTR because they will not be able to comprehend the stories.
kittiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 09:49 PM   #70
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey Kittiegirl, at first I was gonna say something really rude about skipping but then i read the rest of your message! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] so many skip-readers don't change their ways... kudos to you..
anyway I read the hobbit when I was 7 and the whole trilogy when I was 8. I suggest only reading little kids the books if you can already tell that they love to read and if they can sit still and are not one of those immature snot nosed hyper brats. If they are, just forget about it until they become immature hyper brats.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:17 PM   #71
kittiegirl
Haunting Spirit

kittiegirl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiegirl
Sting

Yes, I agree with that too.
For example, my friend's mom read her The Hobbit when she was younger, and my friend loved it.
i think it just depends on the person too, like, some people have longer attention spans than others, or certain things hold their interests more than others.
kittiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 07:37 PM   #72
Celeburiel

Silmaril

I read The Hobbit and LOTR in my junior year of high school many, choke, many years ago after being turned on to them by a good Lit teacher. I think The Hobbit is suitable for a 10 year old, but LOTR might be a little dark and deep for your son. I remember being somewhat affected by some of the darker story lines, bad dreams and a certain amount of....not depression, call it blue funk, because the 'real world' didn't look much better. I was also quite upset by Frodo not being able to enjoy the benefits of his sacrifices, at that age you still expect life to be fair.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:46 PM   #73
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

miellien,

I have some boys, too. The oldest read FotR at about 13-14 years. He is very smart. He found it boring, too detailed, not enough action. But he had already read many other fantasy books. I assume they are not as full textured as Tolkien, though I have not read most of them. I think they appeal to an adolescent mind and attention, especially boys raised on computer and video games, and action movies.

The next two boys have both read only FotR. probably around 12-13 yrs of age. They both failed to continue. They are both smart. One is more of a reader than the other.

I think if I read it out loud with them, they would appreciate it more. (I have read out loud with all my sons, quite a number of books.) It takes a long commitment for such a large book, though, so I have not done it with them as of yet. (I murdered The Hobbit with them a few years ago, taking too long, so they definitely lost interest. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] )

This weekend I read part of a chapter to the 12 year old. He enjoyed it.

Finally, I read it myself when about 13-14. I discovered it in the library, and thought I was the only person in the world who knew how great this was!
Old 11-20-2003, 02:55 PM   #74
Temril

Shield

38... and counting. Still haven't finished TTT [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2003, 05:30 PM   #75
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I read the books ("LotR") a few months before my 13th birthday, after "FotR" came out in theaters. I read the books after my sister recommemded them. I admit, I skiped some parts, but finally got around to re-reading them. I found out how much more enjoyable they were after that. I read "The Hobbit" last year. It all kind of depends on reading level, but 9 or 10 seems like a resonable age for reading "The Hobbit" and 11 or 13 for "LotR".
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:23 PM   #76
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Ai. I had already written a reply and my computer deleted it. I HATE COMPUTERS!! [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Anyway, I vaguely remember reading the Fellowship in 5th grade, I think, at around 10-11 years old. Maybe. Then in 6th grade, my teacher started to read the Hobbit to us, and I went out and bought it because it wasn't in my dad's collection. In 8th grade, I read the Fellowship and the Two Towers. We moved, so I had to wait a few months to read the Return of the King, in the October of my freshman year of high school. That was right before the movie came out. I was obsessed before the movies! Yay! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I read the Silmarillion that same year, and have read it a couple times since, as I didn't understand it at first. I'm trying to read the Histories of Middle-Earth now, but am finding them a bit hard to get through. If you have any hints, PM me!

My dad loved LotR in high school too. All of my books were previously his, except the Hobbit. I like the old ones better than the new ones; they have more character (which is completely irrevelant. Oh well! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

[ 9:56 PM November 29, 2003: Message edited by: Laitoste ]
Old 11-28-2003, 06:14 PM   #77
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My dad absolutely loves Tolkien, so he got me started with The Hobbit when I was about eight. We would read it together every night before bed. When I was nine or ten, we started reading The Lord of the Rings together. I was really excited about it, and I even did a school project on Tolkien when I was in Sixth Grade (too bad no one else in the class had any idea who Tolkien was. Seriously, even the teacher, when I said who I was doing the project on, was like, "Who??")

Miellien - all I can really recommend to you is to judge by when you think your son is ready, as opposed to when it's still too early. But I wouldn't stress too much about it. There were some things that I was too young to appreciate in The Lord of the Rings the first time around; it's no big deal, I picked them up when I read it again.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 07:04 PM   #78
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

I was 15 when I first read The Hobbit...I subsequently devoured LotR and the Sil, taught myself to write using Feanorian letters and am currently working my way through HoME...at the urging of Maika.

I am now 45 and my love for JRRT's works has never faded.
Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 09:39 AM   #79
BlackRose

Silmaril

i have read all of tolkien books when i was 14 years old...
Old 11-29-2003, 12:19 PM   #80
The Human Of Our Time
Pile O'Bones

The Human Of Our Time has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was 17 when I read it last Christmas. I read all of The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings over my Christmas break. I want to read it a second time before the movie comes out but I don't think I have enough free time to do so.
The Human Of Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote