The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-28-2004, 05:23 AM   #1
Araswooon
Newly Deceased

Araswooon has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Aragorn swoon thread!

Hello everyone, i'm new here. Hey is there no swooning threads on this site? All the other LOTR messageboard have swoon threads for us Ringers to drool over our favourite charactors. Mine is Aragorn and i think he is Pphwwoaarr!! yummy or what! How about any of you other girls, do you think Aragorn is gorgeous?

I hope i am allowed to swoon on here, i apologize if i can't, which would be a shame.

Love from aragorns other half!
Old 03-28-2004, 06:08 AM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
White-Hand

I believe there was an attempt some time back to establish a Swoon Room for the Mods and Admins. Or was it Balrogs?

Anyhow, when eyeliner became passé we all rather lost interest. Such is the fickle nature of swoondom.

In other words, it's our party and you can swoon elsewhere. SaucepanMan has better uses for his pans.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 03-28-2004 at 07:04 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 06:37 AM   #3
Araswooon
Newly Deceased

Sting

Hello Bethberry

Well i think there would be plenty out there who would like to let of steam and swoon over their favourite charactor. Who is your favourite?

I also like Boromir and Eomer, after Aragorn of course! Most girls i know like Legolas but i think he is yuk!!
Old 03-28-2004, 06:47 AM   #4
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Hi, Araswoon, and welcome to the Downs! Various forums have different topics on which they focus; the Barrow-Downs' main emphasis is on the books, with movies included mainly in reference to the books. Those who want to concentrate on the LotR movie actors can find possibilities for that on movie sites and/or the actors' fan sites. Take a look around our site and see if there are topics that interest you; you're welcome to join in the discussions.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 06:52 AM   #5
Araswooon
Newly Deceased

Sting

Thanks Estelyn

I've posted in the Book thread, so hopefully i'll get a response on there. Well i do go on other LOTR sites that have swoon threads so i'll just choose them when i like a good drool. I will pop on here when i want to discuss the books though!
Old 03-28-2004, 03:56 PM   #6
Sharkű
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkű has just left Hobbiton.
I admit I haven't been up to date on the online Tolkien 'scene', but if it's true that all the other LotR boards have swoon threads, I guess the Downs community has yet another merit to be proud of.
Sharkű is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 04:13 PM   #7
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Well, I'd just like to say that I've never heard of so-called "swoon-threads," and that such things are generally discouraged at all of the Tolkien fora of which I am a member. I'm afraid, Araswoon, that you won't find much swooning going on here at the Downs.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 06:42 PM   #8
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots A philological confusion

My fellow linguistic, fantasy, and Tolkien enthusiasts,

It could well be that we have erred in our understanding of this term 'swoon tread.' If we excavate the etymology of 'swoon' we are left with a possible link to the most important act of Arwen in LOTR.

'swoon' is a modern form of the archaic 'swound' or, perhaps, s'wönd in Sindarin. Through the natural loss of sibilants at the end of words (commensurate with the Great Vowel Shift) , this could likely have been swűnds' the common interjection of "God's wounds". However, this raises the distinct possibility of a scribal transcription error from the Sindarin. Rather than God's wounds we more properly should have gon, S for 'commander,' wounds.

Here we clearly have a case wherebye the banner Arwen prepared for Aragorn was sewn with threads offering a talismanic protection against the commander's wounds.

Consequently, we must therefore have here irrefutable if not undeniable evidence for a banner thread.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:16 PM   #9
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Dark-Eye banners and balrogs

Is it not therefore the height of irony that the hunky, sizzling Roggie never had anyone devoted enough to him to weave him a flameproof banner? The records are silent on whether he carried banners of a more incendiary nature (aside from his flaming mane which can hardly be construed as a gift of support and admiration.) Apparently his admirers had no access to asbestos fiber.

If they had, perhaps he would have rallied even to the point of withstanding Feanor-- after all, Roggie's eyeliner made him all but invinceable and his defeat was fatal to Feanor in the end. Imagine how the course of history would have been changed by a combination of makeup and the proper non-combustible fabric.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:57 PM   #10
Lady Snickerdoodle
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lady Snickerdoodle has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
Is it not therefore the height of irony that the hunky, sizzling Roggie never had anyone devoted enough to him to weave him a flameproof banner?
Exactly the point I was about to bring up, mark, as he was definitely the hottest creature in Middle Earth, apart from Denethor.
Love the linguistics lesson Bethberry, my favorite word is "etymology"...

But as for swooning, that's kind of only for movie-fans, and not really applicable to those who love the books in addition, i.e. everyone on Barrowdowns. And it wouldn't really be Aragorn we would swoon over, but Viggo, in which case, it would be better if done on his fan site. But if we were to swoon over Aragorn as the character in the book, I wonder if that would be different?
Old 03-28-2004, 09:22 PM   #11
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
If I might try my hand at swooning complexities.

Webster's New Collegate Dictionary defines swoon;
1. Swoon: a) faint, b) to become enraptured, c) FLOAT, FADE
2. Swoon: a) A total or partial loss of consciousness, b) DAZE, RAPTURE, c) a languourous drift

Now then, to simplify matters, I am male. This excludes me from the common swooning circles of life, sadly. Now, fainting is an all too common occurence. I could understand fainting as a result of hearing the haphazardly dashing exploits of Elessar Telcontar, that certainly makes sense, even for us males, via technicality. I don't believe my gender would be 'enraptured' by Aragorn or any other warrior of Tolkeindom per se, but I could also understand floating or fading.

Of course, that seems a more common linking to Earendil or perhaps the floating Halls of Mandos. Are we talking about fading because of Aragorn? Maybe we are to place ourselves in the shoes of some darkened souls, fear I believe they are called, and thus fade from Arda's continuum. Maybe, like Curumo, we are now doomed to fade and float like the houseless. Is that what we're going for here? Also, languourous drift would seem to imply dangling in the emptyness of time.

So, in conclusion, I assume that swooning over Aragorn means that we are relating the point of view of a servant of the enemy, who has been banished by the righteous gem of Estel to fate, floate, and drift languourously.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote