The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-10-2004, 12:27 AM   #1
Corwyn Celesil
Haunting Spirit

Corwyn Celesil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Painful beauty

The more I watch LotR, the more certain things strike me with a pain because of their beauty. There are things in the movies that are both painful and beautiful, and the two feelings are combined into what I call exquisite pain. Sometimes it is something that is full of pain and beauty at the same time, and sometimes it is something that is so beautiful it hurts. For instance, I just finished watching FotR for the thousanth time, and I realized anew what a wonderful actor Elijah Wood is, able to convey worlds of emotion in his face. The scene just after Gandalf has fallen with the Balrog, where Aragorn and Boromir are gathering the Fellowship together to head to Lothlorien, Frodo turns and looks at Aragorn, and the look on his face is exquisitely painful. Another such scene is Pippin's song in RotK, haunting over the shots of Faramir riding to his doom. <BR>I will share more later, but do any of you have any such memories from the movies? Please share them and your concept of what it means. (And no, I'm not psychotic; I'm a writer. That explains it all.)<BR>(I am soon going to open a similar topic in the Books forum, so if you have book thoughts on the same subject, look there.)
Then came there from the south of the city the people of the Fountain, and Ecthelion was their lord, and silver and diamonds were their delight; and swords very long and bright and pale did they wield . . .
Corwyn Celesil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 10:00 AM   #2
Iris Alantiel
Haunting Spirit

Iris Alantiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

For me, the painful-beautiful moment that comes to mind is the very end of RotK, when Frodo looks back at his friends from on the boat and he smiles at them. It's beautiful because he looks just as happy as he did at the beginning of FotR, when he was a young, joyful hobbit "still in love with the Shire". But at the same time it's painful because you know that the only way he can recapture that happiness is to leave everything that once made him happy (the Shire, his friends) behind. You know that he can never be happy like that in his home in the Shire ever again. It's sad knowing how the Ring has destroyed him, beautiful that there is a place where he can find happiness and peace again, but sad that there is only one place and to go there means to leave his friends forever.
Iris Alantiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 11:22 AM   #3
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> For me, the painful-beautiful moment that comes to mind is the very end of RotK, when Frodo looks back at his friends from on the boat and he smiles at them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, that part really made me want to cry because it was so beautiful, and yet so painful. It reminded me of the Shire, and it felt like such a long time since I had last seen him smile like that, it really made it feel like everything was over, and the world was right again.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:39 PM   #4
Failivrin
Wight

Failivrin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yes, I loved that part too. <P>The Arwen subplot annoyed me horribly, but the part where Elrond was holding her hands and about to cry uspet me- he looked so genuinely upset and pained and split about what to do that it was exquisite.<P>The other part was basically all of before Faramir went out of the film. I loved David Wenham's performance and for me, all of his movements and actions ached of refpressed pain, yet it was portrayed beautifully.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:17 PM   #5
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know this wasn't canon, so book purists don't attack me but the bit with Gandalf and Pippin talking about death struck close to home. I lost all self control the second time I went, it's just so beautiful. Not only speaking of what seems to be a haven for souls, but also the fact of one person comforting another. I'll stop. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 07:47 PM   #6
Eothain Elfwine
Animated Skeleton

Eothain Elfwine has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I completely agree about the performance of David Wenham as Faramir when his father has just sent him out, probably to his death. The expressions on his face so clearly bespoke his pain as did the tone of his voice and his words. A very beautiful part. <BR>And I had quite forgotten about the conversation between Gandalf and Pippin, but now that I am remembering it, I agree that it was beautiful and poignant.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:55 PM   #7
Eothain Elfwine
Animated Skeleton

Shield

I forgot to add above that one of the parts of the movie that gave me delicious chills and was both beautiful and painful was the part when Theoden rides down the length of the Rohirrim striking their spears with his sword, and they all cry "Death!" and ride across the Pelannor Fields to meet the horribly huge orc army. I also love how they showed the friendship of Sam and Frodo; how they embrace "at the end of all things," their parting at the Grey Havens, and the beautiful smile Frodo gives Sam in the elven boats on the Great River when, having just come to the horribly lonely decision that he must go to Mordor alone, he finds out that he won't have to be alone after all. So lovely it hurts.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:18 PM   #8
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

Probably my favorite was when Denethor sent Faramir out to his death. I completely forgave Faramir for being such a bad guy in the Two Towers cause of that one scene there. That was so well done.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:05 AM   #9
Lachwen
Wight

Lachwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lachwen
Eye

The most beautifully painful moment for me was in RotK, when you first hear the horns of the Rohirrim blowing. That charge has ALWAYS been my favorite part out of all the books (I have the entire section memorized, geek that I am ), and the moment I heard those horns in the theater I started crying. And the very end, when Sam walkes up to his door (who else noticed the "3" on the mailbox? He's living in Number Three, Bagshot Row!) and Rosie comes out to meet him, and he says "Well, I'm back." Just like the book. Oh, I cried at that part, too. I cry a lot at those movies.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:59 PM   #10
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Corwyn, I salute you for summing up the idea of "painful" beauty so well. I found few such moments in Fellowship (sorry!) and the one that hit me the most in The Two Towers was Theoden's and Aragorn's grim determination to charge out the causeway, defying death in a flame of glory...and then Gandalf's charge down the hill. Sam's speech re-did the same thing for me.<P>For Return of the King, there were so many of those moments I can scarce recount them all. Check my "Most Poignent moments" thread if you want, because I wrote it when the movie was fresher in my mind. Most notable was Gandalf's discussion on death, the war-beacons, and the best was the Horns of Rohan. Wow.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:40 AM   #11
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ooh yes, LotR hurts... I really cried when Sam and Frodo were sitting on that rock on Mount Doom, right after they destroyed the Ring and there was lava everywhere. They both looked so dead tired and sad and ARG! And Sam started crying because of Rosie... and Frodo said: "I'm glad to be with you, Sam. Here at the end of all things..." <BR>AHHH! Yes, Mr. Wood is really a great actor... they are all!<P>Now this may sound a litte insane, but I really wish I could have been there, in Middle Earth... I wish I lived there in stead of this rotten place. And that's why it hurts me so much. It is just too beautiful... *sigh* I KNOW it is not real... I am just a crazy dreamer.<P>Sorry, my English just isn't good enough to discribe what I feel <p>[ 9:48 AM January 13, 2004: Message edited by: Finnguala ]
Old 01-13-2004, 11:16 AM   #12
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

oh eothain you totally stole my scene.<BR>I CRIED when PJ actually did that part from the book where Faramir says "You wish then, that our places had been exchanged?" and Denethor replies, "Yes, I do wish that". I cried when I read it in the book, and I did the same at the movie theater, especially as I had just watched TTT:EE like, the night before and I had just seen the scene between Faramir and Boromir at Osgiliath. <BR>Another part that really got me was at the end of FOTR, when Boromir gets shot full of arrows, and Merry and Pippin are standing there staring with these horrible, traumatized expressions on their faces, and then when Aragorn comes, Boromir says "They took the little ones!"<BR>Terrible.<BR>Beautiful.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:20 AM   #13
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>For me, the painful-beautiful moment that comes to mind is the very end of RotK, when Frodo looks back at his friends from on the boat and he smiles at them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Undeniably. Probably the most powerful 'painful beauty' part in the movies for me.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:02 PM   #14
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Now this may sound a litte insane, but I really wish I could have been there, in Middle Earth... I wish I lived there in stead of this rotten place. And that's why it hurts me so much. It is just too beautiful... *sigh* I KNOW it is not real... I am just a crazy dreamer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You're not the only one. That was the main reason for the tears flooding the theatre, coming from me. They really should put in drains.<P>LotR is full of beautifully painful moments, both the books and the movies. In the movies, the music adds a lot to the beauty of a moment, and even during the credits I cry because of the music. (I am tearing up now, listening to Into the West) 'All will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, all souls pass...' Beautiful! *sniff*<P>In TTT, the part that set me off crying was when the Rohirrim woman is sending her children away on the horse, and the little girl is crying. Then I cried through the whole thing. <P>Wonderfully painful moments:<P>"Don't go where I can't follow"<BR>Charge of the Rohirrim<BR>Pippin's song<BR>Faramir being sent away<BR>The Eagles<BR>The Grey Havens<BR>Pippin and Merry being separated<BR>Sam being left behind<BR>Many more that I can't think of right now
Old 01-13-2004, 09:32 PM   #15
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"Wishing to be in Middle-Earth"...<P>Do you know, I think this is a part of WHY it is so painfully beautiful? We don't just want to sit there and watch, or at least most of us don't. We want to be a part of it! When looking at such amazing, breath-taking things as we see in the LotR movies, we want to be a part of it! Even though a large part of the beauty is derived from the beautiful music and some digital wizardry. I know I personally would go to ME like a flash. Even with computers and cars and whatnot, ME still seems almost more ideal! No orcs are going to sue you for wanton endangerment...no political activists screaming about an unjust war on Uruk-hai...live by your wits and bravery. Wouldn't exactly work like that, I know, but it still, in the romanticised idea of it, sounds good.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 01-13-2004, 10:40 PM   #16
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

Knight of Gondor, I agree, totally. And besides, Romance is fuun.<P>My favourite moment was Theoden's death. Alot of people seem to dislike it, but for all it's worth, I loved it. I was just POURING at that scene... especially when Eowyn says "No... I'm going to save you" I'm just thinking "No, you won't, My Lady". Theoden is MY king. Damn, I'm tearing up just thinking of it.<P>However, it felt good, almost, hearing Eowyn cry. To me, tears are one of the most honest things, and I just enjoyed it, in a way.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:27 AM   #17
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

All three films I find are littered with possible tear jerking moments, and often it can depend on what you are feeling before going to the cinema or watching the dvd as to what you find emotional. I was never moved to tears by TTT in the cinema, for example, but now I can't help but cry. When Theoden is outside Edoras, saying how no father should have to live to see his son die is incredibly powerful. Gandalf and Eomer's charge to Helm's Deep, the death of Haldir and Sam's speech are all such moments. As an aside, it's not so painfully beautiful, but the very real and personal aspect of the people of Rohan being attacked by Saruman's forces was incredibly powerful, and I feel it gave the Battle of Helm's Deep a real desperate air and humanity which perhaps the Battle of Pelennor Fields lacked.<BR>FOTR is littered with painfully beautiful moments. In particular just after Gandalf passes to shadow Legolas's facial expression is sublime. He looks as though he cannot find the oxygen in the air which he needs to live. When Gimli crumples down it is telling also-this dwarf, so hardy and resilient who convinced Gandalf to go by Moria (or at least convinced Frodo to decide that way) just falls. Why should he continue? I feel that part of the film was one of the most important to get right. For the hobbits it is like they have just lost a grandfather: wise, loving and caring. Gimli must surely in some way blame himself. Legolas has lost a wise peer, one of the ancient istari, wise beyond reckoning. Boromir has grown up in Minas Tirith, where Gandalf has been seen in the streets, giving his father council, now Mithrandir is gone. He tries to push his sorrow onto the hobbits 'Give them a moment, for pity's sake!', but it is he who wants a moment also. Aragorn, though, was probably the most important to get right. While the loss of Gandalf must clearly affect him, he must now lead the Fellowship. They cannot tarry, and he must ensure this. All this conveyed in one minute long scene.<BR>Also great in FOTR was Boromir's sacrifice. Having read the books I was always very critical of Boromir, but since seeing the film I have been able to view the Son of Gondor in a different light. He is an example of how no matter how great a man, The One Ring will have its perverse way. The breaking of the Fellowship is great too. 'No, Sam, I'm going to Mordor alone!' 'Course you are, and I'm coming with you!' Also, 'I don't suppose we'll ever see them again, Sam.' 'We may yet, Mr Frodo, we may yet.' Just so typically beautiful and optimistic from Sam.<BR>ROTK is perhaps the most emotional film. I cried like a baby in the cinema, I have never been so moved in my life by any kind of media. Right at the beginning we find an example of this painful beauty and Sam's optimism when he says he has rationed the lembas and that there will be enough. When Frodo asks what for Sam looks suprisedly at his Mr Frodo and answers, matter of factly: 'For the way back, Mr Frodo.' Wonderful. There's so much. The Ride of the Rohirrim. My favourite passage from the book, and beautifully adapted for screen. Faramir and Denethor, from the realisation that his father wishes he had died right through to the end of Pip's song is great. As is when Merry and Pippin have to say goodbye at Edoras. Gandalf and Pippin's talk, though I found the one when the Silent watchers awoke more powerful. The entire dialogue between Sam and Frodo was wonderful from Sam's 'Do you remember...?' right until the end of the movie. The look at the Grey Havens, 'I'm glad you're with me, Samwise Gamgee, here at the end of all things.' a direct quote, and really benefits from it. 'My friends, you bow for no man.' a wonderful show of respect, very powerful. And, of course, the last line. If you've read the book I think this probably means even more to you. So simple, so powerful and a tearjerker, for sure as my old gaffer used to say. 'Well, I'm back.'
Old 01-14-2004, 01:17 PM   #18
Eothain Elfwine
Animated Skeleton

Shield

Elannar Starfire, I completely agree about some of the bits you mentioned:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "Don't go where I can't follow"<BR>Charge of the Rohirrim<BR>Pippin's song<BR>Faramir being sent away<BR>The Grey Havens<BR>Pippin and Merry being separated<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Pippin and Merry's parting was very well done in the movie, Pippin losing his friend who was also his strength and intelligence, really, and having to learn to stand on his own.<BR>Cibbwin, I really like this comment of yours:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>However, it felt good, almost, hearing Eowyn cry. To me, tears are one of the most honest things, and I just enjoyed it, in a way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I was highly impressed with the actress in that part, how she showed Eowyn's deep anguish at her uncle's death. I agree that there is something about tears that is enjoyable and is quite good. Something about being able to cry at beauty and laugh at pain.<BR>SamwiseGamgee, a couple of points you brought up that I had almost forgotten about:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 'I'm glad you're with me, Samwise Gamgee, here at the end of all things.' a direct quote, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That part was really, really well done; a beautiful performance by both actors, one of the many parts I cried at. (I, too, cried through almost the whole movie both times I saw it.)<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 'My friends, you bow for no man.' a wonderful show of respect, very powerful. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>How could I have forgotten that part? It is not directly from the book, but it certainly is in the spirit of the part where Aragorn confuses Frodo and Sam by kneeling before them in reverence. If I hadn't been crying about nearly every other part of the movie, I would have been there.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:18 PM   #19
Corwyn Celesil
Haunting Spirit

Corwyn Celesil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think that my realization of the emotional nature of the beauty in LotR, book and film, has opened not necessarily my eyes but my emotions to beauty and painful beauty. I've found myself tearing up at so many things recently whose beauty has suddenly struck me. It's a kind of aching longing for that beauty which will never be fulfilled in this world but will be some day.
Then came there from the south of the city the people of the Fountain, and Ecthelion was their lord, and silver and diamonds were their delight; and swords very long and bright and pale did they wield . . .
Corwyn Celesil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 08:48 PM   #20
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think that my realization of the emotional nature of the beauty in LotR, book and film, has opened not necessarily my eyes but my emotions to beauty and painful beauty. I've found myself tearing up at so many things recently whose beauty has suddenly struck me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, it did the same for me. Before I saw TTT I rarely cried, and then only when no one could see me. I saw TTT, cried through the whole thing, and realized that tears are nothing to hide. Now I cry at movies all the time, not just in theatres, like I used to, but sometimes at school, and at home. Some people laugh at me, but I don't mind, I pity them for not understanding this.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:30 PM   #21
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>It's a kind of aching longing for that beauty which will never be fulfilled in this world but will be some day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Exactly. Coulnd't have said it better myself. While I really won't let myself cry at movies, that's exactly how I feel. Of course, just like in the movie and book, the moment of fulfillment won't actually take place until the REAL Return of the King. See signature below.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:34 PM   #22
Sparrow
Animated Skeleton

Sparrow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<I>The Return of the King</I> is one of the most operatic, dreary, tragic, emotionally exhausting, tear-worthy books I have ever read. The movie conveyed this overall aura very well with the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, the plight of Faramir and the Ride of the Rohirrim, but the saddest part of the movie for me was that I did not feel the same way I did at the end as I did when I finished the book. I felt happy like I do at the end of Disney movies.<p>[ 10:35 PM January 14, 2004: Message edited by: Sparrow ]
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 09:46 PM   #23
Lachwen
Wight

Lachwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lachwen
Eye

Yes, Lord of the Rings has given me many things to cry about. I've always been a kind of emotional person: I like to go hiking and backpacking, and one day my Geology class went on a field trip to Mt. St. Helens, and the sky was clear and the sun was out, and the visitor's center has this beautiful view up into the crater. It was late spring, so there was still lots of snow on the mountain, and it was so beautiful and so peaceful that I burst into tears on the spot. The beauty in Middle-earth really gets to me, not just because it's so gorgeous, but because it's EVERYWHERE. They don't have strip malls and clearcuts and fancy, expensive houses cluttering up the scenery. It's so unfair.<P>I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and there are many points in the movies that make me cry.<P>That first shot of the Shire (you know, through the road cuttting).<BR>Frodo saying "I will take it!"<BR>Boromir's death scene.<BR>Sam: "I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. 'Don't you leave him, Samwise Gamgee.' And I don't mean to, I don't mean to..."<BR>Aragorn kicking the helm and screaming where the Uruks were burned, thinking Merry and Pippin had died.<BR>Théoden: "Where is Théodred? Where is my son?"<BR>Théodred's funeral.<BR>Théoden: "No parent should have to bury their child." (A good friend of mine died October of that year, so it really hits close to home.)<BR>Boromir and Faramir's parting. "Remember this day, little brother."<BR>"Forth Eorlingas!" and the charge down the ramp of the Hornburg.<BR>Sam: "It's me! It's your Sam! Don't you know your Sam?"<BR>"The Scene at the Stone Window," aka Sam's monologue at the end of TTT.<BR>Merry and Pippin's parting.<BR>Pippin's song for Denethor/the Gondorian charge on Osgiliath.<BR>The lighting of the war-beacons.<BR>The host of the Rohirrim galloping out of Dunharrow.<BR>Sam going berserker on Shelob.<BR>Sam, as he's killing orcs in Cirith Ungol: "That's for Frodo! That's for the Shire! And that's for my old gaffer!"<BR>The charge of the Rohirrim.<BR>Théoden's death scene.<BR>Aragorn charging the host of Mordor at the Morannon.<BR>"I'm glad I'm with you, Samwise Gamgee. Here, at the end of all things."<BR>The look Sam and Frodo share when Frodo wakes up in Minas Tirith.<BR>Frodo saying goodbye to Merry, Pippin and Sam at the Grey Havens (I bawled through that whole scene).<BR>Sam: "Well, I'm back."<P>There are even more moments in the books. Tolkien was a beutiful writer, and PJ managed to convey it on film very, very well.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:42 AM   #24
corwyn celesil

Silmaril

Lachwen, I completely agree with everything you put on your list.<BR>Knight of Gondor, when the occasion spoken of in your signature happens, we will understand the real meaning of tears and of beauty, I think.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:13 AM   #25
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>In TTT, the part that set me off crying was when the Rohirrim woman is sending her children away on the horse, and the little girl is crying. Then I cried through the whole thing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I hate to diss any acting, especially that of children, but this is the ONE scene in the entire trilogy that I really cringe at. I don’t know whether it was because of the text not being from Tolkien, or the acting of the girl or the woman, or the scene itself being Hollywoodish, but every time it jolts me out of Middle-earth and back to our own world and I sit there realizing I’m watching a film and I don’t like it!!!!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>My favourite moment was Theoden's death. Alot of people seem to dislike it, but for all it's worth, I loved it. I was just POURING at that scene... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I thought this scene was magnificent. Where’s any topics that people say they dislike it, as I’d like to know their reasons………..<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Right at the beginning we find an example of this painful beauty and Sam's optimism when he says he has rationed the lembas and that there will be enough. When Frodo asks what for Sam looks suprisedly at his Mr Frodo and answers, matter of factly: 'For the way back, Mr Frodo.'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This was the first point I cried during ROTK, and only 10 minutes in! (Although Smeagol’s happy face had me on the verge beforehand)<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>'I'm glad you're with me, Samwise Gamgee, here at the end of all things.'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I was frightened this line would not be in the film, as Jackson used the first bit at the end of FOTR, and I didn’t think he’d repeat it. So I was very happy when it was in.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>'My friends, you bow for no man.' a wonderful show of respect, very powerful. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I cried like a baby when I saw this. Even though it would have been nice to see him just kneel to Frodo and Sam, kneeling to Merry and Pippin seems to lessen the emotional impact for me, because if Merry and Pippin, why not all the rest of the fellowship? Now I’m not dissing M&P, especially Merry the Witch King slayer, but Aragorn kneels down to the Ring Bearers whom all ME’s hopes were laid on.<P>Other points of painful beauty.<P>I feel sadness now I look at Frodo’s face at the beginning of FOTR, knowing what he will go through. It wasn’t something that sprang to mind when I first saw the film, even though I’d read the books countless times. But on seing the other 2 I now know what MOVIE Frodo will go through. The picture of his face on the elven ship perfectly bookends the entire trilogy. He is happy again………<P>A lot of the points of beauty come just by an actor or actress’s facial expressions. This is down to Jackson’s genius, and the main reason why he deserves a Best Director Oscar.<P>Eowyn’s look as Aragorn drinks out of the cup she offers him. Love, turning to sadness, (turning to confusion?). Amazing.<P>Theoden’s look as he is confronted by the Mumakils. He knew he was going to die, but was steadfast all the same.<P>Pippin and Merry’s look of ‘war’ on their faces at the Chamber of Mazarbul, Parth Galen and the Black Gate.<P>Gandalf’s look as his face changes from disappointment to grim satisfaction when Frodo finally realises there ARE markings on the ring.<P>Gandalf’s look at Edoras when Aragorn asks him if he thinks Frodo’s dead.<P>Elrond’s change of expression from defiance to pure love when Arwen turns his face towards her in ROTK.<P>There are LOADS more I could add.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:15 AM   #26
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> 'My friends, you bow for no man.' a wonderful show of respect, very powerful <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Couldn't agree more. I cried my eyes out.<P>Another powerful moment, a bit odd maybe, but still beautiful in my humble opinion was when Grima saw Saruman's army in TTT.<BR>Ok, there has been discussion about the tear rolling down his cheeck, but I'm absolutely sure that it was because he was moved by the "beauty" of such a great force.<BR>Well, that's how I interpret it anyway. <P>And the charge of the Rohirrim of course!<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Death! Death! Death! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Wonderful.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:57 PM   #27
Sparrow
Animated Skeleton

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>but I'm absolutely sure that it was because he was moved by the "beauty" of such a great force.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, I was absolutely sure that it was because he knew Rohan would be obliterated and somewhere deep in his heart he was sad about the loss. I guess that's the danger of being absolutely sure about something.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:39 PM   #28
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

I scrolled through this thread and some of those things make my sad, but none of them compare to the scene at the end of ROTK when Aragorn sees Arwen and they embrace each other. It's not them, that makes my misty eyed though. It's the look on Elrond's face behind them, as if he's about to burst into tears at any moment, and I half expected him to, but he is stronger than that isn't he. Beautiful because Aragorn and Arwen are together again, painful, because this is (more or less) the last time Elrond and Arwen will see one another again. *sniffle*
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:41 PM   #29
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think (you may not) that a painful but beautiful scene is when Frodo wakes up in his bed in RotK and sees all the Fellowship greeting him...all except for Boromir. It kind of made me think, Wow...they thought that they would all get through this okay, but they're one man short and the last memory Frodo has of Boromir is him trying to take the Ring.<p>[ 8:41 PM January 15, 2004: Message edited by: Mad Baggins ]
Old 01-16-2004, 05:54 AM   #30
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sparrow, regarding Grima's tear, I believe Mariska is correct. The proof comes from the horses mouth (Brad Douriff) in an interview he did. He cried the tear by basing it on the movie "The Triumph of the Will" about Nazi Europe, and in particular the scene from Hitler's balcony where he surveryed his troops from, and the overwhelming feeling of power and triumph that the Nazis felt at this point. Can't find the link to the interview but it's there. And also there's a couple of threads elsewhere on this site that have discussed the tear. I've yet to listen to the commentaries from the extended edition. maybe brad of peter jackson discuss it there as well....
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 07:08 AM   #31
Sparrow
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Apparently I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:53 AM   #32
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Elennar, you are so right. When I went to see Titanic and Pearl Harbor, I expected to sit there and cry, like I did in Saving Private Ryan. No. I sat there and laughed thru Titanic, and sat there snoring thru Pearl Harbor.<BR>Then I went to see ROTK, and when Pippin was singing and Faramir was told he should have died rather than Boromir, and Frodo told Sam to go home, I did cry, which didn't surprise me, because I cried during the book, but everybody around me just looked at me weird. I guess they were all just jealous that I actually felt emotion.<BR>And you guys are also right about how we all wish we could be in the movies. I was sitting at home the other day wishing I was Eowyn.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:39 PM   #33
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with all those already mentioned. One thing that especially has an affect on me is the music for LotR. Even when I'm just listening to the soundtrack, sometimes I feel like I'm going to explode from the beauty of it all. One part I especially love is when in Moria, you see the shot of the stairs falling to the side. I don't know why, but it's just so beautiful. Also, if we see Sam having to dump his pots and pans down a crack in Mordor in RotK:EE, I will be sobbing uncontrollably. That has always been one of the saddest parts of the book to me. I also abosolutely LOVE Aragorn's speech before the Morannon. It makes me want to go fight by his side. Another thing is the words that come up on the screen during the RotK trailer: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>There can be no triumph<BR>Without loss<BR>No victory<BR>Without suffering<BR>No freedom<BR>Without sacrifice <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> It has now become my motto. Also, <I>Into the West</I> always makes me incredibly sad. I think everything on this thread is best described in Galadriel's words "Beautiful and terrible as the dawn." <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I know I personally would go to ME like a flash. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Wouldn't we all.*sigh* <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Knight of Gondor, when the occasion spoken of in your signature happens, we will understand the real meaning of tears and of beauty, I think. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yes, we will.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:14 AM   #34
Gamja
Haunting Spirit

Gamja has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gamja
Sting

i found two parts in the series that are painful:<P>1) before helms deep, where the rohirrim go to the armory. I felt great pain when that boy picked up an axe with a calm look on his face.<P>2) the charge against osgilath (faramir and crew vs. the orcs i nthe capped osgilath). The song that merry sang and the gondorians braving suicide moved me quite a bit. they never once wavered against the orcs.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:57 AM   #35
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Mad Baggins, one point I feel I must make: <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> It kind of made me think, Wow...they thought that they would all get through this okay <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I've got to disagree. I found that scene so amazingly emotional because at no point in the quest was there ever really any real hope of success, 'Only a fool's hope' as Gandalf says to Pip. I thought it was so beautiful because finally, they were all back together, but they had all changed beyond what they could ever have imagined- beautifully captured in the look between Frodo and Sam right at the end of that scene. Looks are so important, you're completely right Essex.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:11 PM   #36
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Sting

I think one of the most pain-ful parts in The Fellowship are when Frodo and Sam are in the boat, hugging each other.<BR>In The Two Towers, it would have to be Sam`s speech at the end:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Frodo: I can`t do this, Sam.<BR>Sam: I know. It`s all wrong. By rights we shouldn`t even be here. But we are. It`s like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you don`t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened. But in the end, it`s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of going back, only they didn`t. `Cause they were holdin` on to something.<BR>Frodo: What are we holding on to, Sam?<BR>Sam: That there`s some good, in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it`s worth fightin` for. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>In The Return of the King, I think the whole thing was very pain-ful, in a way.<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>For me, the painful-beautiful moment that comes to mind is the very end of RotK, when Frodo looks back at his friends from on the boat and he smiles at them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>That was soo sad!<BR>I think the part where it was very pain-ful, (though not in a beautiful way)was when Frodo told Sam to go home.<BR>All this makes me cry just thinking about it.
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote