The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-23-2003, 10:12 PM   #1
balrogman
Wight

balrogman has just left Hobbiton.
Sting book homages

anyone seen any little homages or references to the books? i noticed one in the red book, just as Frodo is finishing up you can clearly read at the top of a paragraph that Sam becomes mayor of the Shire...anyone else see anything like this
Old 12-24-2003, 01:30 PM   #2
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Here are a few of the main points I've spotted when Peter Jackson is paying homage to Tolkiens book.<BR>-When Treebeard tells the tree in Fangorn (TTT Extended DVD) to 'dig deep, eat earth' (very sorry, can't recall exact quote) he is speaking Tom Bombadils line from the book. This is obviously PJ paying homage to Tom Bombadil, who was left out of the movie.<BR>-Chapter titles from the book pop up in actors dialogue, for instance 'A Shortcut to Mushrooms'. After they have fallen down the cliffy thing Merry says it was a shortcut. Sam says 'a shortcut to what?' and Pippin replies 'mushrooms!'<P>Many more appear, but I'll wait and see what others come up with...<P>Merry Christmas y'all!
Old 12-24-2003, 02:47 PM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I saw numerous things which resembled Tolkien's story. Apart from Denethor... <P>I thought the whole point of the films was to convey Tolkien's story. It shouldn't be too hard to spot things which were in the book.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:25 PM   #4
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I saw numerous things which resembled Tolkien's story. Apart from Denethor... <BR>I thought the whole point of the films was to convey Tolkien's story. It shouldn't be too hard to spot things which were in the book. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think balrogman ment less obvious things that people who had only read the books would notice, if you see what I mean. Little tidbits that wouldn't be included in the film as a main story line, for instance, Gil-Galad is at the Last Alliance. We are never introduced to him, but the readers of the book would probably notice him and know who he was. Little things like this show more depth, like the depth of detail in the books. <BR>Crumbs, I'm terrible at explaining stuff. I really should leave it, but I'm bored <BR>Hope that was okay, any one else notice stuff like that?
Old 12-25-2003, 02:45 PM   #5
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

At one point in TTT, Gollum starts reciting some of the Barrow-wight's lines, with a few changes. (I can't remember exactly when it happens in the movie. )
Old 12-25-2003, 08:26 PM   #6
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ya, they're always useing bits of poetry from of books for songs. For example, the song Gollum sings at the Forbiddin Pool and the song Pippin sings for Denethor.<P>I was a bit sad to see that Sam went home to #3 Bagshot Row instead of Bag End, but I guess that would be a bit hard to explain. But it is still a nice referance to Sam's home.<P>And I love how in the first movie they're always dropping references to "The Hobbit".<P>I can't think of any others right now.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:08 PM   #7
balrogman
Wight

balrogman has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

yeah what i meant was little things that were put in that mostly the book readers would notice
Old 12-27-2003, 04:39 PM   #8
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Heed no nightly noise.<P><I>Treebeard</I> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>More compensation for Bombadil.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:02 PM   #9
Shadowfax the Silver

Sting

When they met Gandalf again in TTT he had a Lothlorien cloak on with the same leaf broach on because he went through Lothlorien even though they didn't say he did.
Old 12-27-2003, 05:18 PM   #10
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

In Return of the King, right before Aragorn leaves for the Paths of the Dead, he tells Eowyn: "It is but a shadow and a thought that you love." That is the line that he says to Eomer, during the Houses of Healing scenes in the Book.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 09:35 PM   #11
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

In the Extended Edition TTT (my brother got it for Christmas!) there are quite a few nods.<P>In one part Gollum is famished and Frodo offers him some lembas. He tries to eats it but "it chokes us". Just like the books.<P>Treebeard sings about Fimbrethel (like in the books) and also sings Quickbeam's Rowan song.<P>I quite liked "heed no nightly noises." <P>Fea
Old 12-28-2003, 02:15 AM   #12
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really liked when they launched the heads of the soldiers into Minas Tirith, but I think that the biggest homage to the books I saw was when they <B>made three movies based on them</B>.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:52 AM   #13
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Where's the Pippin song from? I like it!

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 11:35 AM   #14
Tar-Alcarin
Wight

Tar-Alcarin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the prolouge to the Fellowship you can see Cirdan and Gil-galad in the background when they are holding the rings up to the light. And at the end, at the Grey Havens, you can see Cirdan once again, in the background.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:42 PM   #15
Tinker
Pile O'Bones

Tinker has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The "Pippin Song" as you called it Olorin, comes from the Hobbits Walking Song in the Fellowship books. (No time for reading anymore, so I've worn out my WalkMen listening to the unabridged BoT version, but I still can't remember what chapter its on.) If I remember right (and I probably don't) the lines are from the first and last verses.
Tolkienitis, GS Symptom #6: A suddenly developed obsession/aversion with jewlery, esp. rings of gold.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 06:13 PM   #16
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks. <P>I ought to look out for Cirdan, the man.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 02:00 PM   #17
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Pipe

They payed homage to Sean Bean in RotK when we saw him get shot through with arrows for a second time
Old 12-29-2003, 03:18 PM   #18
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I thought Bilbo telling the children about his encounter with the three trolls was clever, as was the inclusion of Thror's map in Bag End.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:33 PM   #19
BoromirsBeard
Pile O'Bones

BoromirsBeard has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How about that glance between Eowyn and Faramir. Who here didn't have to explain to everyone sitting around them? <P>Legolas has a crown at the end, even though he's never introduced as Son of the King but instead as "Legolas of the Woodland Realm".<P>Gandalf's ring.
BoromirsBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 07:49 PM   #20
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Though I believe Gimli refers to him as a "princeling" in the extended Towers.<P>I never noticed he was wearing a crown.<P>H.C.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:32 PM   #21
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Many titles of the chapters in the movies are taken from the book. Bilbo's trolls show up on the road to rivendell.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:49 AM   #22
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

At the Grey Havens Elrond says what ever it is he says in Elvish and Bilbo takes a little time to translate it and understnad it. I thought that was nicely done but I'm not sure if anyone would get it if they hadn't read the books. (Do they even know Bilbo can speak Elvish?)
Old 12-30-2003, 11:06 AM   #23
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>anyone seen any little homages or references to the books? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Heh. Yes, I noticed a few nods to the text of J.R.R. Tolkien's <I>The Lord of the Rings</I>. <P>
Old 12-30-2003, 11:08 AM   #24
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>At the Grey Havens Elrond says what ever it is he says in Elvish and Bilbo takes a little time to translate it and understnad it. I thought that was nicely done but I'm not sure if anyone would get it if they hadn't read the books. (Do they even know Bilbo can speak Elvish?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I doubt a non-book reader would get it, no. To a non-book reader, it would just look like Bilbo doesn't understand what Elrond is saying (Bilbo's look could go either way).
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 08:22 PM   #25
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Sting

Several of these I never noticed, but I'm really glad you all pointed them out. It makes me feel like PJ didn't have a complete disregard for the books. haha
Old 12-30-2003, 09:03 PM   #26
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Sounds like y'all might enjoy this. First the intro as seen on TORn:<P>"The TORn RoTK Geeky Observation List " has numerous "tributes" listed as well as just some cool facts. (Listed as a Cool Movie Fact: I had noticed the movie-theme of blues and silver for those about to sail. Even the horses ridden by westering elves are grey! So Frodo's silver waistcoat and blue jacket are a major clue... westward ho-bbit.)<P>Anyway, the list is very fun.<P><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/staticnews/1072691717.html" TARGET=_blank>The TORn RotK Geeky Observation List</A>
Old 12-30-2003, 11:47 PM   #27
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Sméagol and Déagol's ears were larger and shaped slightly differently to normal hobbit ears, to reflect the fact that "River folk" are a slightly different race of hobbits than Shire folk? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I noticed that too, but I though that it was just me. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You can see the Púkel-men when the Rohirrim camp at Dunharrow.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ah, I was going to mention the Púkel-Men.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:04 AM   #28
Shire Flower
Pile O'Bones

Shire Flower has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How about the scene in FOTR where Bilbo says about Frodo, "He's not some blockheaded Bracegirdle from Hardbottle!" After I read the books, I watched FOTR again and I burst out into laughter. "Oh man! He's talking about Lobelia!!"
Shire Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 08:54 AM   #29
Emma Woodhouse

Shield

I´m suprised nobody ever mentioned the trolls in FotR! When Arwen turns up, they´re camping in this little clearing thingy and in the backroudn you can see "Bilbo´s" trolsl of stone. It took me awhile to realize that. And Gandalf sings "The road goes ever on and on" in FotR, when he comes to the Shire.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:55 AM   #30
Emma Woodhouse

Sting

Wow, ShireFlower, I never noticed that! Wow!!
Old 12-31-2003, 09:21 AM   #31
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I noticed Gandalf singing the Road goes ever on, but it's not the same tune I sing it to... Oh well. Gimli makes reference to Balin.
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:49 AM   #32
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

TORn list is updated:<BR><A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/staticnews/1072691717.html" TARGET=_blank>here.</A>
Old 12-31-2003, 01:56 PM   #33
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I was a bit sad to see that Sam went home to #3 Bagshot Row instead of Bag End, but I guess that would be a bit hard to explain. But it is still a nice referance to Sam's home. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That is too bad. Really, it would not need to be explained, just as Gollum's crying on about the elven rope 'burning and freezing,' and the elven bread 'choking' him didn't need to be explained. Those who are 'casual movie-goers' (those who are illiterate) would not even notice it.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I really liked when they launched the heads of the soldiers into Minas Tirith, but I think that the biggest homage to the books I saw was when they made three movies based on them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That's a first! I agree with an entire post! An excellent observation, burra!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 06:21 PM   #34
Lost One
Haunting Spirit

Lost One has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The elvish exchange between Elrond and Aragorn when Anduril is delivered are Gilraen's (Aragorn's mother) last words.
Lost One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 03:29 PM   #35
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When Elrond is talking to Arwen about Aragorn's death in TTT, it's a quote from <I>The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen</I>. "...an image of the splendour of the Kings of Men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world." Also, Elrond talks of her "under the fading trees," which also comes from the Appendices.