The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2003, 04:25 PM   #1
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

One Axe to Rule them All has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Would have jennifer garner made a better arwen?

I think that Jennifer garner would have made a better arwen than Liv Tyler.<P>What do you think?<p>[ September 02, 2003: Message edited by: One Axe to Rule them All ]
Old 09-01-2003, 04:52 PM   #2
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Who is Jennifer Garner?<P>H.C.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:57 PM   #3
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

Sting

Jennifer garner is the main character on Alias and plays Elektra on Daredevil.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:16 PM   #4
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

You're probably right about <A HREF="http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0264464/CT-4314.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Jennifer Garner</A>. I wouldn't mind seeing <A HREF="http://www.bettina-zimmermann.de/images/gb8.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Bettina Zimmermann</A> as Arwen as well.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 05:25 PM   #5
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Hmm, that's tough. I don't know, Liv didn't make the best-looking Arwen, but PJ can't go with to well-known stars. It just doesn't seem to fit well to have big names in LOTR. Don't ask me why , but it just doesn't.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 08:30 PM   #6
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I always thought Natalie Portman would be an excellent Arwen. At any rate, I did not have any problem with Liv Tyler. I think Jennifer Garner is too tough and... well... un-Elvish to play Arwen. She would make a very good Eowyn, I think.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:12 AM   #7
Arien
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Sting

No, I think Liv Tyler was definately a better choice than Jennifer Garner.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think Jennifer Garner is too tough and... well... un-Elvish to play Arwen. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have to agree with you there.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:30 AM   #8
Elentįri
Wight

Elentįri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I loved the way Liv lowered her voice, it was so musical...and Elvish. I don't know who Jennifer Garner is, but I think Liv did a good job.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:43 AM   #9
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Oh, man. I thought you were kidding about Jennifer Garner. No offense, but No, I don't think she would have made a better Arwen.<BR>Liv was okay, but in the beginning I used to think Sophie Marceau would have made an even better Arwen. I dunno why, maybe it's her role in Braveheart that made a big impression on me.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:05 AM   #10
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Gwyneth Paltrow would have made a good Arwen, but frankly the Arwen's role is so much over-cast and over-exposed that it does not matter. Arwen does not appear much until the wedding, or am I wrong.<BR>I have always been against Liv in that role anyway... Though I think she is absolutely gorgeous.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:55 AM   #11
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There was nothing wrong with Liv. If all those actresses had filmed the role of Arwen as well, she would be the best out of them.<BR>Her voice was nice in the films, I agree. It's rather girly and high in real life (although it's still a nice voice), but once she lowers it she makes a good elf.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:35 AM   #12
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like Jennifer Garner better as an actress then Liv, but to play Arwen? I don't think she would have done a better job.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:36 AM   #13
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Liv turned out to be much better in the role than I could have imagined, but for my money, Madeleine Stowe circa <I>The Last of the Mohicans</I> would have been an ideal Arwen. She's gorgeous, has that weird, ethereal Elvish quality, and would have brought a weight and maturity to the role that young Liv does not. Arwen crying into her pillow in Imladris is just one more TTT scene that I strongly disliked.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 12:41 PM   #14
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Liv, Liv, goooooo Liv! What is wrong with her? Everybody seems against Liv somehow...<BR>and PJ piked <B>her</B> anyway, soooooooooooooooo... <P>(Yeah yeah, start shouting at me again!! )
Old 09-02-2003, 12:47 PM   #15
Elentįri
Wight

Elentįri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hehehe Finnguala...I'm backing you up on this, ok? I thought Liv did just fine. And frankly I'm glad she lowered her voice. It annoys me when she does her interviews...just as everyone says she dresses like a slut. But I reckon that's just because she's the only girl there normally, and the boys hardly dress up! If other actresses were there to, I think people would say she was dressing very modestly. But hey, she's beautiful, so why hide it?
Old 09-02-2003, 01:25 PM   #16
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

Sting

I still think Liv did a mediocre job and Jen would have done much better no matter what all of you say.... <P>And I apoligize for the typo in the title, I know, I know.<P>She can be very elvish (Jennifer Garner) when she wants to be, and her acting is really great, but I shouldn't be mad at PJ; I should be mad at the casting director....<P>Excuse me while I go find the nearest gun and go hunting for the casting director, and maybe PJ if i'm in a really bad mood.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:38 PM   #17
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

(pssst, One Axe - you can edit the title by going to your first post, clicking on "edit" and retyping it correctly!)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 01:47 PM   #18
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dūm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Tolkien

Liv wasn't bad. I thought she did pretty well, for the part they gave her. I think she acted in her normal voice, and then the editors or whoever made it lower with some sort of device-thingy. <P>I have trouble picturing other actresses as Arwen in the movies, since Liv is already in my head, but Jennifer Garner doesn't seem like quite the right person for the role. Still, I don't know much about her so maybe she would have done fine.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:42 PM   #19
Arwen Evenstar the Fair
Wight

Arwen Evenstar the Fair has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I really liked Liv Tyler's performance, now I can't see anyone else as Arwen. She did an excellent job!
Old 09-02-2003, 05:53 PM   #20
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't think Jennifer Garner would have made a better Arwen, besides I can't imagine her in love with Aragorn.<BR>I think Liv played the role well.<BR>Her low voice makes her a bit mysterious.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:55 PM   #21
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I think she acted in her normal voice, and then the editors or whoever made it lower with some sort of device-thingy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No, she lowered her voice herself. It's not really that hard... But in interviews on the DVD she does say that her father asked her whose voice that was. She laughed, called him a jerk, and said that she did it herself. I even heard her doing the voice in a couple interviews, to demonstrate.<P>Jennifer Garner just does not look Elvish. She has almost masculine jawbones and her lips just don't look right for her face. I saw her in a Hallmark movie years before Alias, and that was my impression.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:41 PM   #22
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Jennifer Garner as Arwen!!!!<P>I am sorry but I just don't think that would have worked (Unless they would have kept the original script where she was a serious warrior elf. With those arms, imagine how she would be able to swing a sword ). I would think of Jennifer as more of an Eowyn type of person. She just doesn't have that elven quality to me. <P>I personally don't mind Liv Tyler in the role though. I do think it is one of her better performances, but I also do think that she stands out slightly when grouped together with the other elves.<P><B>samrohan</B>, I have never thought of how Gwyneth would have done in Arwen's role, but I think she would have been great. She kind of reminds me of a Cate Blanchett type of actress, and she is also very tall, with a very airy, elven quality. She would have been wonderful
Old 09-02-2003, 09:59 PM   #23
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

Sting

Thanks Estelyn, you learn something new everyday...<P><BR>Fine I guess I am just a deluded fool; but I am a happy deluded fool with the image of Jennifer Garner as arwen in my head....
Old 09-03-2003, 01:59 AM   #24
Iargwath
Wight

Iargwath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iargwath Send a message via AIM to Iargwath
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I always thought Natalie Portman would be an excellent Arwen.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I also thought that Natalie Portman would have potrayed Arwen well (she already has the leaf shaped ears) Yet i'm afraid she is too short. Her height doesn't match that of the Elves. <P>I liked Liv Tyler as Arwen, since i imagined Arwen to have the same sort of features

My M-e Forum
Iargwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 02:15 PM   #25
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I would think of Jennifer as more of an Eowyn type of person. She just doesn't have that elven quality to me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yes, people have been saying things like that above. I'm just wondering...I'm sure that PJ & co. could give her that...elvish quality. I'm also sure that they could've made her less tough looking or sounding or whatever you guys meant by tough. Makeup is a great thing you know.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>There was nothing wrong with Liv. If all those actresses had filmed the role of Arwen as well, she would be the best out of them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>Possibly, but unless you've had some experiance in watching all the 'other' actresses act out Arwen's part, I think that's an unfair judgement.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>It's rather girly and high in real life<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Deffinatly.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:59 PM   #26
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> but I also do think that she stands out slightly when grouped together with the other elves. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>But isn't Arwen <I>supposed</I> to stand out from the other elves? She is supposedly the most beautiful elf since Luthien so it makes sense that she sould seem to stand out a bit or not blend as well with the other elves.<P>No, Jennifer Garner as Arwen....no... no no no, the eowyn thing I can most defintely see, Ms. Otto is my only Eowyn other than the one in my head when I read the boks, but Jennifer Garner could hve done that part quite well I think. I like Liv as Arwen for the most part, but she does sort of grate on my nerves every once in a while. Someone I always thought would make a great Arwen is <A HREF="http://www.dazzled.com/beckinsale/ph1.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Kate Beckinsale</A> or <A HREF="http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/1d/images.art.com/images/PRODUCTS/large/10044000/10044001.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Jennifer Connelly</A>
Old 09-03-2003, 03:07 PM   #27
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Possibly, but unless you've had some experiance in watching all the 'other' actresses act out Arwen's part, I think that's an unfair judgement. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Naturally. But I just prefer Liv. I have never seen another actress who I could consider for the role. Some probably could pass it off, but I just prefer Liv above them all. She just... has it.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:35 PM   #28
Goldberry
Shade of Carn Dūm

Goldberry has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Goldberry
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> No, she lowered her voice herself. It's not really that hard... But in interviews on the DVD she does say that her father asked her whose voice that was. She laughed, called him a jerk, and said that she did it herself. I even heard her doing the voice in a couple interviews, to demonstrate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh, oops, you are right. I got mixed up for some reason, probably because she says they put that scene into slow motion digitally, or something. Or maybe, I dreamed that she said it...I seem to be doing that a lot lately, dreaming things and actually believing they are real...odd.
Old 09-03-2003, 05:40 PM   #29
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Although I think her freaqent 'breathing words' instead of 'saying words' is a bit over doing it. I'm always saying to myself: <I>Don't BREATHE, TALK! Do you have a problem with talking? Why do you have to breathe your words!?</I>, but that's just me I'm sure .
Old 09-03-2003, 08:11 PM   #30
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Sting

I think Liv did a good job as Arwen. Yes, some other actors would have been just as good or even better, but I can't see J. Garner as Arwen.<P>Every time I see a picture of Elrond, I see Agent Smith. If JG played Arwen, I would have seen the character from Alias or Daredevil whenever I saw her. For me at least, it would have severely diminished the role and the movie as a whole. I think PJ was right to pick unfamiliar faces (with the exception of Elrond).
Old 09-03-2003, 08:57 PM   #31
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Madeleine Stowe circa The Last of the Mohicans would have been an ideal Arwen. She's gorgeous, has that weird, ethereal Elvish quality, and would have brought a weight and maturity to the role that young Liv does not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Here, here! I just saw that movie recently, and I think she has the right character for an Arwen role. She is strong willed, and got a bit of an Elvish look to her, but most of all... she ain't a ditz! Pardon my grammar, but I don't think too highly of Liv...
Old 09-04-2003, 01:48 PM   #32
Glamdring

Sting

Jen would have been sexier, but I don't think she would have played a better role. One thing though, I actually HATED the way that Liv would just "breath" her lines "It is mine to give to whom I choose....like my heart." I HATED THAT!!!!<p>[ September 04, 2003: Message edited by: Glamdring ]
Old 09-04-2003, 06:53 PM   #33
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Every time I see a picture of Elrond, I see Agent Smith. If JG played Arwen, I would have seen the character from Alias or Daredevil whenever I saw her. For me at least, it would have severely diminished the role and the movie as a whole.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Well I hope you didn't see Aragorn without his clothes on, the way Viggo Mortensen is in a X-rated film, then. Point is, you have to block out what people did in their other roles, otherwise you'll never have any fun watching a movie!
Old 09-05-2003, 09:43 AM   #34
Finiel
Haunting Spirit

Finiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Liv Tyler is fine as Arwen.<BR>SOphie Morceau would have also been a great choice as an elf! She has the elvish dreamy enchanting look. I forgot who suggested Sophie.<P>Jennifer Connely would have been a great elf too.<P>Natalie Portman is beautiful but she would have looked too young as Viggo's girlfriend (Arwen).
"The night has a thousand eyes, And the day but one; Yet the light of a bright world dies when day is done. The mind has a thousand eyes, And the heart but one; Yet the light of a whole life dies when love is done."-- F.W. Bourdillon
Finiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 09:52 AM   #35
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

Sting

I guess the major thing that makes me hate liv as arwen is the way she breathed her lines instead of talking them. Jen can talk low without "Breathing" her lines and she would have done fine. and isn't arwen supposed to be a warrior-maiden?
Old 09-05-2003, 10:31 AM   #36
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I guess the major thing that makes me hate liv as arwen is the way she breathed her lines instead of talking them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That also annoys me (as I said in my post a ways above), although I don't <I>hate</I> her for it.<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>and isn't arwen supposed to be a warrior-maiden?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Not in the books. In the books she basically sits near Elrond in Rivendell, she really is more of a princess than a warrior-maiden. I think Jennifer <I>might</I> have made it as Arwen, as long as we're talking about PJ's warrior-maiden Arwen. If we're talking a booktual Arwen then there is no way that Garner could've made it.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:03 PM   #37
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

Sting

Can <I>Anything But Arwen</I> help me out here? I am soooo outnumbered here
Old 09-06-2003, 12:05 PM   #38
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Hey man, I said Garner might have made it in PJ's version of LotR. So I'm <I>half</I><BR>with you. <p>[ September 06, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 09-06-2003, 06:28 PM   #39
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Sorry but I don't think Jennifer Garner would have made a good Eowyn because Eowyn is a blonde and Jennifer Garner is a dark type. <BR>Besides you would have two dark types Arwen and Garner as Eowyn. It is nice to have a blonde instead.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:56 PM   #40
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I don't think Jennifer Garner would have made a good Eowyn because Eowyn is a blonde and Jennifer Garner is a dark type. <BR>Besides you would have two dark types Arwen and Garner as Eowyn. It is nice to have a blonde instead.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Well...everyone's hair in the movies is a wig. So I'm sure they could've done a good job of transforming Garner into a 'blonde type'. Miranda Otto's (Eowyn)in real life is reddish.