The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2004, 11:50 AM   #1
Golbog the Odiferous

Sauron and Saruman why are the names similar?

Also, Arwyn and Eowyn.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:11 PM   #2
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Well, I do not believe this belongs in this forum, but I'll answer it.

The names weren't just made up (well, I suppose they were), but they mean something. Some names are similar simply coincidentally, like these. The meaning are all different, and in different tongues, so the resemblance of names is technically irrelevant. I personally think that 'Eowyn' and 'Arwen' sound very different and look very different, though Saruman and Sauron are a bit similar. Here are the name meanings, as I know them.

Sauron: "The Abhorred" (Sindarin, I believe: This one's a bit tricky, because J.R.R. never gave us a meaning. Christopher Tolkien, using the name 'Tauron' [Another name for Oromë, meaning 'Lord of Forests') translated Sauron as, "Lord of Abomination". Thus, Sauron can be translated as, Lord of Abomination or Abhorrent One, or Abominable One, or what have you)
Saruman: "Man of Skill" (Again, Sindarin: This, though, I am unsure of. Like all the Maiar, Saruman is known by many other names, like Curunir and Curumo, both of which have something to do with being 'skillful')
Arwen: "Noble Maiden" (Sindarin)
Eowyn: "Horse-joy" (Rohirric: The tongue of Rohan, which has some very definitive roots in Olde English)

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies

Last edited by Kransha; 09-19-2004 at 12:19 PM.
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 12:32 PM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

My mother once told me that this was 'poor writing' from John Ronald, because it made the two villains harder to distinguish.

I could not adequately convey in one sigh my complete disagreement.
Old 09-19-2004, 12:52 PM   #4
Golbog the Odiferous

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2004, 01:07 PM   #5
Maerbenn
Haunting Spirit

Maerbenn has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

According to cian, a member of other Tolkien message boards:

Sauron is Quenya though: archaic *Thaurondo > *Thaurond > *Thauron > Sauron.

Saruman is from Old English (David Salo suggests West Saxon) meaning 'Man of skill'.

Old English searo (searu) 'art, skill, cleverness, cunning' (of interest searocræft 'artifice, treachery, wile')
Maerbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 02:51 PM   #6
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Also, not just the names, but another connection between Saruman and Sauron, was they are most like Aule. That is why they both get greedy and lust for power.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 01:08 PM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The closeness of Sauron to Saruman especially when handwritten by JRRT led to may errors by copy typists according to HoME. But an unforgivable example is on the 13 cassette editionof the BBC RAdio version ( the one in the long black and gold boxnot the 14 cassette "Children's edition~" with Music), where the Episode called "The voice of Saruman" is written as the "Voice of Sauron".

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:06 PM   #8
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
[QUOTE=Kransha]Arwen: "Noble Maiden" (Sindarin)[QUOTE]
Which is equivalent to the English name Patricia, which is from the latin for 'noblewoman'. Also, Ioreth is Sindarin for 'old woman', which is the meaning of the English name Priscilla!

(Sorry, I picked up a book of boys & girls names at Oxonmoot, which gives Sindarin equivalents of English names. The Sindarin equivalent of my actual name is apparently Melben.

And Helen, from Greek for sunbeam would have the Sindarin equivalent of Glawareth, while George (GK=earthworker)would be Barmudon.

Yes, I know I'm off topic now - I'll get me coat!)
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 03:05 AM   #9
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Maybe the names are similar because Saruman always had something bad inside of him, of course he wasn't always evil but maybe his name was meant to be similar to Sauron's due to their similar characteristics;budding imperialism and tremendous pride.
Just my thoughts.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:55 AM   #10
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
while George (GK=earthworker)would be Barmudon
Thank you, I say, thank you for revealing the secret! Barmudon, indeed. Being called names after all my services! But who cares?! Silly of me to hope to keep it all nice and quiet all of these years. You, you, you Melben!

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 09:37 AM   #11
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Well, Sauron and Saruman both had a number of names. If I had, say, four names and so did you then there is a decent chance that two of them could be similar.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:00 PM   #12
Lhundulinwen
Wight

Lhundulinwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lhundulinwen Send a message via MSN to Lhundulinwen Send a message via Yahoo to Lhundulinwen
White Tree

Tolkien used a lot of existing languages, so its natural for word parts in names (especially if both characters are good or evil) to have similar names. Yes, it does make it confusing. Especially if you aren't already familiar to the story. But like Eomer said, they both had a bunch of alliases so, personally I think it works okay.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:48 PM   #13
Nenya
Wight

Nenya has just left Hobbiton.
Isn't it so very, I dunno, tolkien to care more about the linguistic origins of his two main badguys' names than about the fact that a casual reader is bound to be a little confused by their apparent similarity...You've got to love the man.
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote