The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril The Hobbit - Chapter 16 - A Thief in the Night

This is the shortest chapter in the book. I'm certain that Tolkien deliberately did not add more to it, because it is so important that it ought to stand by itself.

Bilbo is, of course, the thief mentioned in the title. He was chosen to be the burglar for the quest of Erebor, but Thorin and the other dwarves would not have thought that his role would be played quite differently from their intentions. That helps his keeping of the Arkenstone to stay undiscovered - they would never have suspected him!

As I've already posted, in a normal fairy tale, the hero would have slain the dragon. But Bilbo's true heroism is different, and this chapter is the culmination of his growth and development. He had already shown his courage and cleverness, but here he shows his wisdom, above and beyond that of a normal Hobbit. He has the ability to sacrifice his own advantage for a greater good, and considerable diplomatic talent as well. He deserves the respect of Men and Elves that he earns by his actions.

He also shows loyalty to his friends, but not a blind loyalty that agrees with them when they are in the wrong. He does his best to rectify their mistake, yet goes back to them, full knowing that they will not be pleased - well, furious! - with what he has done. He is willing to stand up for the consequences of what he has done, since he knows himself to be morally right.

An honest and generous thief?! Was he right in keeping the Arkenstone against Thorin's proclaimed will? I would say he was, for though Thorin pronounces vengeance on the one who finds and keeps it, Bilbo does not really suffer later for what he did.

Now the raven Roäc speaks up against the Dwarves' hostility toward Men and Elves. Yet his wise words are not accepted.

Interestingly, Bombur is the only one of whom we read that he spoke against Thorin's decision, but only to Bilbo. He did not dare to speak up against him publicly.

It's interesting that the Elves thought Bilbo was the dwarves' servant - what would have given them that impression? They never saw him while the dwarves were imprisoned there.

I enjoy reading Bilbo's conversation with the Elvenking and Bard! Nothing deferential there, no high speech - just plain hobbit common sense! He shows all of the other peoples how pride and misunderstood honour hurts their cause more than it helps.

No, Bilbo is not betraying his friends, though it may look like he is. This chapter tells us something important about the nature of true friendship - a combination of loyalty and moral integrity. And to confirm that, Gandalf shows up unexpectedly to praise him for his actions. His cryptic utterance that there is more happening than the ravens know keeps the reader in suspense.

Isn't the ending typically Hobbity?! It's similar to the last chapter's end, where he complains about eating cram - now he dreams of better food...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:26 PM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe

Well, I guess my bait in my post on the previous chapter was a little too obvious, as no one took me up on it. Estelyn offers a very convincing argument about Bilbo's honour and courage here.

Yet Bilbo did not withhold the Arkenstone initially because of his plan--it came to him slowly. So I ask the question again, was it the failure to find the Arkenstone which set off Thorin's hard heartedness, his siff neck, his refusal to negotiate?

Or perhaps the psychological question of characterisation is not relevant here. Is TH the kind of story where motivation is less important and what is paramount is the exploration of the dire consequences for a stubborn decision? Like many stories in myth and legend, an entire people pay the price for the leader's intransience and that is what the story is about, not the whys and wheretofors.

After all, had Thorin not been so stiff and uncompromising, neither the dwarves nor the men nor the elves whould have been prepared for what was to come ....
Old 05-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #3
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

There'a an interesting echo here of the lure and lust
for the Ring in the reactions of Bard and Thranduil to
the Arkenstone (and the hobbit's comparative, but
not total, immunity to its allure).
Quote:
The Elvenking himself, whose eyes were
used to things of wonder and beauty, stood up in
amazement. Even Bard gazed marvelling at it in silence...
Then Bilbo, not without a shudder, not without a glance
of longing, handed the marvellous stone to Bard, and
he held it in his hand, as though dazed.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor of Gondolin
There'a an interesting echo here of the lure and lust
for the Ring in the reactions of Bard and Thranduil to
the Arkenstone (and the hobbit's comparative, but
not total, immunity to its allure).
Nice catch, Tuor. Do you suppose this is Tolkien's inchoate sense of the Ring or even the silmarils? Or is this Tolkien's sense that all great beauty spellbinds? Would this affect apply only to the plastic arts and not all sub-creation?