The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-12-2003, 07:45 PM   #1
moth

Pipe what would you write about?

If you had written LOTR what would you have done differently or what new things would you have added!? tell here!
Old 03-12-2003, 09:37 PM   #2
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To be honest, nothing! I love LOTR exactly the way it is. I think that if any changes were made the story would not flow as nicely and would obviously turn out differently. As for the movies...well that is a different forum [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2003, 05:10 AM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i would add more Denethor.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:59 AM   #4
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I would have liked more infomation on the 'missing' 2 Wizards, or on the Nazgul but who knows if only he had lived a little longer Tolkien may have written something!
Old 03-14-2003, 11:39 AM   #5
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would make it so that the firast few chapters were not so boring! it takes me ages to get into the book, but after that,Im fine!
Old 03-15-2003, 12:17 PM   #6
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, the beginning was slow. At least, the first time around. After that, you knew that there were things to look forward to, so you plowed ahead.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 10:10 AM   #7
Ruler of the Frogs
Animated Skeleton

Ruler of the Frogs has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I would change nothing. The book is so great as it is, I wouldn't mess with it! Although, it would be cool if there were other works published. It seems I just can't get enough of Tolkien's writing! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2003, 05:55 PM   #8
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I would have liked to have heard about the attacks on Mirkwood and Lorien.

-Lily
Old 03-23-2003, 06:21 PM   #9
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

I would have done more with the 'bad guys'. In many books, it goes into the bad guys' minds and actions as well as the good guys'. Seeing what the bad guys do and think helps you to hate the bad guys more. I believe it needed more evil evil in it, rather than just conquer the world, slaughter people, cut down trees, and barbaric lifestyle evil. Does anyone follow me? By doing those 'scenes' with bad guys, you can really scare people, make people loathe them. You can show that the bad guys really love the pain of others, the blood and the slaughter. But maybe then it would be an R-rated movie, and not as many people would want to read the books. I don't think that many people like books to go into the minds of the truly evil. I don't, really, but I like the fact that you hate it. I like having bad guys that you can totally loathe and be disgusted with, and be afraid of. Well, that's my input...I bet most people would loathe that!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 11:59 AM   #10
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would make the books more interesting, for one thing. Here's a list of things I would have done:
-gave Goldberry a bigger part
-made Aragorn die INSTEAD of Boromir (poor guy!)
-given Galadriel a bigger part
-given Pippin most of those parts that Merry has in the stories so he wouldn't be completely forgotten
-punished Gandalf for calling Pippin stupid
-made at least some of the fellowship cowards
and so on and so forth...
Old 05-20-2003, 03:58 PM   #11
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think I would leave the books as they were. Tolkien took such time with them and was so meticulous with the way he put them together that I'm sure any sort of change would make it noticably different, and maybe not for the better. Anyways, I love the books as they are, and wouldn't change a thing. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 05-20-2003, 10:24 PM   #12
GlingleglingleglingleFairy
Animated Skeleton

GlingleglingleglingleFairy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would want to have more about the different peoples, like the Easterlings, and have more about the places off the map.

And maybe more poetry.

Some people prefer cupcakes. I for one care less for them.
GlingleglingleglingleFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2003, 10:14 AM   #13
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I love LotR the way it is, but if I had to change something (though I don't see how that would happen), I agree that more about evil might be nice, or anotherpoem or two. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-27-2003, 12:05 PM   #14
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

To be honest, LOTR is perfect! (no flaws) as everyone has said before.
Tolkien couldn't have done better! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 12:55 PM   #15
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

More evil and more Radagast and Blue Wizards and I'd love Sauron to have corrupted some Elves or Huorns into his service.Imagine a forest of Huorns at the Black Gate, surrounding the Captains of the West!Or some Elves being set up as spies in Rivendell...
The early chapters could have been made more entertaining as well.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:49 PM   #16
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Of course i love the books as they are....but...one thing i would like to know is more about the inner thoughts of Sauron, perhaps even his councils with the Nazgul or that ambassador. Although i suppose one of the things that made Sauron such a menacing figure was that we didn't know too much about what he was thinking or doing.

OR

A larger description of the Battle at the Morannonn when the ring was destroyed (it was the Morannon right?)
Old 05-27-2003, 05:28 PM   #17
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I, respectfully, don't think thethouhts of Sauron would be all that great. Because then we might be understanding the evil, which makes it far less mysterious and haunting.

~Menelien
Old 05-27-2003, 05:36 PM   #18
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I wouldn't change the books one bit. I think Tolkien meant for some of the characters to be slightly mysterious and unexplained. Do we really want to know what happened to Alatar and Pallando? I do not deny that I have a lot of fun imagining what they did and the places they saw. I think a lot of people do.
I would definitely leave the villains exactly the way they are. Somehow, giving a lot of information about his/her background ruins a villain (in my opinion). We are often scared by things that we do not understand, and we are meant to be frightened of Sauron and Morgoth. Tolkien wanted it that way.
The Professor was so meticulous about each detail in his work that I think it would be an insult to him to change anything. I think changing the slightest thing would probably end up changing the entire book(s).
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:43 PM   #19
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Right, Finwe. Changing even the slightest thing in the most obscure way could eventually make the books quite different than what they are today. Would that difference be for the better or for the worse? I can only speculate that it would be for the worse, because the way the dear Professor had meticulously written it is the way he wanted it, and ultimately I think the author knows what is best for his books, whether or not his audience accepts it. The books were good in his eyes, and they were one of the joys of his heart. Again, these are only my opinions, and they are meant in respect to all other opinions.
Peace
Old 05-28-2003, 03:22 PM   #20
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I love this story just the way it is, but if it were mine, I might have provided more background on Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas and Elrond's previous involvement in fighting Mordor and include some events in the societies of elves, men, and dwarves that led up to the Council of Elrond. I'd try to streamline some of the extensive descriptive passages. A little more romance between Aragorn/Arwen and Faramir/Eowyn would be nice. I'd keep everything else pretty much the same.
Old 05-31-2003, 06:56 AM   #21
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Sting

I wouldn't change the books at all, but I wish he had written a book all about random hobbitness. I loooove hobbits! It'd be like the Silmarillion for Halflings, and they'd have things like The Great Tookish Tater Famine and stuff. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote