The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #3241
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp
It's like watching a debate and complaining that the participants disagree about things.
Haha! A good one!

Let me give you another one: loving military parades while thinking oneself the utmost individual is like attending the Idols and saying "I'm just giving you my deepest self to be judged" and then singing like Justin Timberlake or Britney Spears - like had there been an Idols competition in the seventies they would have claimed the same and sang like Aretha... (which would have been better indeed had they managed it)

Rhetorics. Yes, I love that stuff (and some to follow...).

But really, if one talks of individuality and takes as one's hero the lonesome cowboy, then tell me how you can differentiate that video from this or this and how well it relates to that ideal?!?

To make it a bit more Tolkienish: aren't these the faceless orc-armies of effectivity and single-corps ideals which stand against all the values Tolkien craved for?

Just picture Frodo there in the line (seventh left on the twelth column whom you can see in the picture like half a second).
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #3242
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Good links, Nog. That first one was especially good. A very entertaining spectacle, and my compliments to the talents of those responsible for bringing about such a visually pleasing performance.

But really, pretending that the spectacle itself actually means something, or rather that it can only be used in support of certain philosophies- that seems rather narrow. It is simply a choreographed activity requiring skill, discipline, and practice. It's like ballet, or an orchestra performing a symphony. Surely we cannot restrict a group of artists or an artform in such a way that it becomes monopolized by one single worldview.

And as far as the "faceless orc-armies" angle- I see little difference between that and the faceless Tower Guards or Rangers of Ithilien who acted in a coordinated manner. Since when has Sauron held sole possession of coordination in Middle Earth? Without Merry and Pippin getting the hobbits organized and unified in their resistance efforts, I doubt the hobbits would have won the day.

And about the Idol competition- yes, it's rather silly when someone states that they wish to be a singular icon and then imitates. However, we must remember that, when being yourself, you will undoubtedly be rather similar to at least one other person. It is completely possible to possess a voice and style incredibly like another established star without actively trying for it. In which case, it hardly seems fair to be down on the "imitator" simply because they had the misfortune of being born second. It could have been the other way around, and then we'd be criticizing Justin Timberlake for trying to sound like somebody else, rather than the reverse.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #3243
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
To make it a bit more Tolkienish: aren't these the faceless orc-armies of effectivity and single-corps ideals which stand against all the values Tolkien craved for?
Well, I've got a couple thoughts.

In LOTR, the subjection of self and self-interest to the interest of the whole is a very prominent theme and, I think, supports a measure of self-abnegation in a military context.

To draw a contrast between the heroes of LOTR and the soldiers that are involved in these military parades is similar to drawing a contrast between apples and oranges, the difference being that the members of the Fellowship were heroes (in a technical sense, perhaps?) as opposed to ordinary soldiers and as such have a very different role to fulfill. Heroes are supposed to run around by themselves and do cool stuff and help people out, whereas your average soldier's duty is to go and do what he's told. We can't all be heroes (again, in the sense of being free-wheeling protagonists) and we can't all be grunt soldiers.

Were the orc armies really effective? The interaction between orc soldiers that we see in Mordor (disagreement, independent thought, rivalry, conflict, and self-interest) would seem to indicate that the orc forces were not the models of faceless, disciplined uniformity that one might at first imagine. In fact, I believe that the effectiveness of the armies of Mordor was dependent on their sheer size, rather than their stellar training program.

As with anything, it depends on how you choose to look at it. China represents, I think, a potential negative realization of discipline and organization, because the obliteration of individuality has come to characterize the nation as a whole. However, in the US, rugged individualism is the name of the game (often unfortunately so). Our army is disciplined, but hardly to the extent of that the Chinese people as a whole are. Moreover, that kind of military demonstration is specifically ceremonial and in no way represents how the American military is typically conducted. Discipline and uniformity are indispensable for the effective operation of a military, but that principle can either be taken to a negative extreme (as in China), or it can be monitored and harnessed. It need not be always one or the other. It can be good or bad.

Last edited by Gwathagor; 12-02-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Gwathagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #3244
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
I think it is funny that ther is a part of the U.S. army that consists of juglers, but I guess it is good for the diversity of the Army. I also think it looks alot cooler than the jugglers in the circus and is more intertaining.
Downgrading these men to mere jugglers is understating their job. They don't just do military parades, they guard the capitol in times of crisis, are responisble for the security in White House, they look over Arlington National Cemetary, and they guard the tomb of the unknown soldier. Sorry, I couldn't let that comment pass unchecked.

What you said Andisgil about comparing them to Tower Guards, I often associate that with them guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Preserving and honoring a important monument to America and its fallen.

Gwathagor, nice bit of arguing there.

Discipline is good on its own, but the question is what are they disciplined for. The Dunedein were protecting the ancient kingdom of Arnor in hopes of a king arriving, the Ithilien Rangers to a lesser extent were protecting their homeland Gondor, just as Eomer was with his followers. All of them are good things to fight for: king, country, and freedom. A soldier who fights for a cause that he believes in will always be the better soldier, that is individuality mixed with the discipline to continue on, sometimes in the face of overwhelming odds (as you see in two of the three examples).

One thing that comes to my mind, and I thought worth mentioning, is when Faramir and his rangers look to the west. However, he does not know why they do it, that is where discipline and tradition lose its purpose and is done merely for ceromonial purposes.

Last edited by Groin Redbeard; 12-03-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Groin Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #3245
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Nice video, Groin.

I love our soldiers.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #3246
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Downgrading these men to mere jugglers is understating their job. They don't just do military parades, they guard the capitol in times of crisis, are responisble for the security in White House, they look over Arlington National Cemetary, and they guard the tomb of the unknown soldier. Sorry, I couldn't let that comment pass unchecked.
I thought I was upgrading them. . .

I understood that they did more than jugling, afterall it was mentioned in the clip. The clip is not only about dicipline though, I might have made a good a diciplined soldier had I been drafted, but since I cannot jugle I could never make that particular guard.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #3247
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
who, who, who are you?

I could be wrong, but I had the strangest sense that this thread was about who has the best signature and not about which 3rd Age or 7th Age nation has the best army or jugglers or high stepping chorus line.

And speaking of signatures, have I mentioned lately that Lal's is very cool? Good job, Lal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal's siggie
I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #3248
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
I could be wrong, but I had the strangest sense that this thread was about who has the best signature and not about which 3rd Age or 7th Age nation has the best army or jugglers or high stepping chorus line.
And whether or not Groin's signature is the best is very much dependent on that latter question.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #3249
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Title #543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
And whether or not Groin's signature is the best is very much dependent on that latter question.
Agreed. Even if it turned into a bit of a tangent, I think his signature generated a very intriguing discussion.

If it hasn't been said already (or even if it has) I like the phantom's. It seems as if his and Mith's signatures have a sort of conversation going on.

Last edited by Morai; 12-03-2008 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Forgive me Father, for I have mispunctuated....
Morai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #3250
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I love Pio's and the links attached.
Quote:
That way lies our hope, where sits our greatest fear. Doom hangs still on a thread. Yet hope there is still, if we can but stand unconquered for a little while. - "The King of the Golden Hall"; The Two Towers
Also I found Volo's rather amusing.
Quote:
Don't worry, I don't understand the above either.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #3251
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Wow, I reeeaaally like Andsigil's signature.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:39 PM   #3252
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thank you. The Rebel Private in your signature is quite a good link. "Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes is one of the great musical achievements of mankind.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #3253
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
Thank you. The Rebel Private in your signature is quite a good link. "Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes is one of the great musical achievements of mankind.
Every link on Gwath's signature is great, though I did not notice the Rebel Private link until now. Great job Gwath, I absolutely love it, and that's coming from an avid Civil War/War of Northern Aggression buff.

I've already said that Andsigil's signature is great, but I think I'll say it again. Andsigil's signature is great!
Old 12-07-2008, 10:32 AM   #3254
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Mithalwen's:

Quote:
You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment

I might have to get hold of a DVD of that and watch it again. I like a bit of Whitehall intrigue
Old 12-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #3255
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
Also I found Volo's rather amusing.
Oh yes, I like Volo's.

edit: Oh, and I always like Morth's.

Last edited by Eönwë; 12-07-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #3256
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I just have to nominate Lilly's new signature. While it isn't a quote that many peopel would pick from The Lord of the Rings it is my personal favorite! Great signature, Lilly!
Old 12-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #3257
Lilly
Haunting Spirit

Lilly has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.” – Gimli, Fellowship of the Ring

Thanks, GR!

Since I'm playing in a Dwarves RPG, I wanted something Dwarvish.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:03 AM   #3258
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
I like Rune's - do you want me to add a link of it to the photo page?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:04 AM   #3259
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
I like Rune's - do you want me to add a link of it to the photo page?
You could. . . it would be odd. . .but you could.

There is also a clip about capitalism that I thought about using, but to be honest the one about communism is more me.

When I saw it the first time I got a flash back to me talking to a guy who never showed any interest in plotics, but because he was drunk felt like talking about it. He would say something like "cummunism is a beautiful idea, but utopian. . . just look at what happened in Russia", then I would answer like Marx did in that clip. (also with beer in hand)

Anyways this seemed like a video of how downers used to imagine me. . .I don't know if they still do that.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #3260
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

You'll have to have a beer in the Museum Tavern in London, opposite the British Museum, next time you are there, Rune. That's where Karl Marx himself used to go for an ale.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #3261
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Aganzir's

Quote:
ja kohta, veli, kautta mantereiden
hulmahtavat auki sydämemme
is from one of the most beautiful songs I know.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #3262
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
and soon, brother, throughout the continents
our hearts will fly open

That's not the exact translation as I don't know if the song has ever been translated into English but it will suffice. I believe it is of South American origin, and yes, it's also one of my favourite songs.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:17 PM   #3263
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles quote things on occasion

I like Mith's

Quote:
Beware the deadly donkey falling slowly from the sky.
You can choose the way you live, my friend,
- but not the way you die.
Where's it from?
Old 01-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #3264
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Fea,

Quote:
Two grooms say "Paint the wedding hall,
and lavender's the shade..."
(There's money to be made)
I love your sig. The video is great.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #3265
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I love your sig. The video is great.
Best musical I've ever seen, I swear. The song is frequently in my head.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #3266
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I actually must nominate davem's, as I really really like it.

Quote:
“The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected.” GK Chesterton
In general, it's pretty good.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #3267
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I second that, definitely.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #3268
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I really like AbercrombieOfRohan's.

Quote:
“What are you doing here, Bartleby?” said I.
“Sitting upon the banister,” he mildly replied.
Unless I'm mistaken it's from Bartleby the Scrivener. An interesting, but fairly sad novella by Herman Melville.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #3269
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morai View Post
I like Mith's

Where's it from?
It is an interesting thought of Edward Monckton.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:50 AM   #3270
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
I saw trees as green and this dark as blue, heartbreak and poetry with deeper roots.

I love Lommy's signature. It's from the Dido song "Northern Skies", which has to be one of the most beautiful songs ever written. It's certainly the one that rings truest in my own life. That verse is particularly lovely too, ...heartbreak and poetry, with deeper roots.

My only problem is that you made it your signature first!
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #3271
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
I love Lommy's signature. It's from the Dido song "Northern Skies", which has to be one of the most beautiful songs ever written. It's certainly the one that rings truest in my own life. That verse is particularly lovely too, ...heartbreak and poetry, with deeper roots.

My only problem is that you made it your signature first!
Sorry, Lauri. I love the song too, very much, and I identify with it too - I guess we Finns have something in common with you Alaskans.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #3272
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Gwathagor's signature is very interesting. Is that from an Irish point of view, Gwath, or just some royalist who hated Cromwell?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #3273
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

It's the chorus from the Pogues' version of a traditional Irish song, (Young) Ned of the Hill, about an Irish gentleman-turned-bandit.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #3274
Kitanna
Child of the West

Quote:
It's the chorus from the Pogues' version of a traditional Irish song, (Young) Ned of the Hill, about an Irish gentleman-turned-bandit.
Ever heard the Tosser's cover of Young Ned of the Hill? I favor it more than the Pogues, but it's probably because I heard it first.

Funny, I was thinking of making the chorus to that song my signature recently.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:10 PM   #3275
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
Ever heard the Tosser's cover of Young Ned of the Hill? I favor it more than the Pogues, but it's probably because I heard it first.

No, I didn't know they had one! That must be very good. Is it a version of the original folk song, or a cover of the Woods/Kavana version (the one the Pogues do)?
Old 01-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #3276
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Oh wait, dumb question. The original doesn't have a chorus, never mind.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #3277
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
I notice your location is the 'Foggy Dew'. The Young Dubliners play a version of that song that is excellent. My old band used to play a version of their version of that song. I guess that would make it a diversion from the original version.

We also used to play their version of 'Rocky Road to Dublin', which was a real tongue twister after several Guinnesses. Thankfully, slurring the lyrics until is was unintelligible didn't seem to matter to a hundred or so drunks in a pub.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #3278
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
I notice your location is the 'Foggy Dew'. The Young Dubliners play a version of that song that is excellent. My old band used to play a version of their version of that song. I guess that would make it a diversion from the original version.

We also used to play their version of 'Rocky Road to Dublin', which was a real tongue twister after several Guinnesses. Thankfully, slurring the lyrics until is was unintelligible didn't seem to matter to a hundred or so drunks in a pub.
As much as I really like 'With All Due Respect,' I actually prefer the Chieftains' versions of 'The Foggy Dew' and 'The Rocky Road to Dublin.' I do think that the Young Dubliners have the very best renditions of 'Raglan Road' and 'I'll Tell Me Ma,' though.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #3279
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
As much as I really like 'With All Due Respect,' I actually prefer the Chieftains' versions of 'The Foggy Dew' and 'The Rocky Road to Dublin.' I do think that the Young Dubliners have the very best renditions of 'Raglan Road' and 'I'll Tell Me Ma,' though.
*The Dark Elf snickers at the irony*

Conversely, I think the best renditions of 'Raglan Road' and 'I'll Tell Me Ma' are done by Van Morrison and the Chieftains. The Morrison/Chieftains album is one of the greatest Irish music recordings of all-time.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #3280
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
*The Dark Elf snickers at the irony*

Conversely, I think the best renditions of 'Raglan Road' and 'I'll Tell Me Ma' are done by Van Morrison and the Chieftains. The Morrison/Chieftains album is one of the greatest Irish music recordings of all-time.
Hm. I think it's Van Morrison's style of singing that puts me off of that album. I can only imagine it to be a taste which I have yet to acquire - perhaps in a few years, I'll be able to see the greatness of it. For the time being, however, I will most willingly concede to you that their take on 'I'll Tell Me Ma' is a very, very, very close second to the YD's version.