Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #3801
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I changed it. Your go, Firefoot.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #3802
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Umm, Elempi, small correction - Theolain is of no help at all to anyone who doesn't want to demolish the place.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #3803
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Umm, Elempi, small correction - Theolain is of no help at all to anyone who doesn't want to demolish the place.
Oops! Sorry about that - still getting to know them. Fixed.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #3804
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Elempi - I was just looking over some old conversations between Scyld and Rowenna and discovered that Scyld has already told her a much summarized and somewhat falsified tale of his connection to Scarburg. I'd totally forgotten and in case you had too it's the first post on page 6. I don't know if that background information will color their conversation at all but I figure it might.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #3805
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I read it, Firefoot. It's a pack of lies! Worth remembering.

I'm going to be on the road Friday through Sunday, so I probably won't be posting then.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #3806
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Elempi - any thoughts on what would have happened to Osfrid and Muriel? I looked through the old Eorling Mead Hall thread and couldn't find any mention of them.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #3807
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sorry for my delay. I do not know about Osfrid and Muriel. I believe we are free to create their history. Do you have a sense for whose body this was? I had not thought that it could be a female, though it was never stated that it was not.

I'd like to get a sense for what you and others think before I post on the thread.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #3808
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I really have no idea. Sorn's household as potrayed in the Abduction RPG was quite small, so there's a pretty limited list of options if we want it to be a character who's been introduced before. Otherwise, it could be anyone... and regardless of who the body is, the perpetrators are really up for grabs. Also, was it a deliberate murder? An accident of some sort?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #3809
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

My opinion was that it was supposed to have occurred during the burning, and was probably an accident. But it need not be that way. So it could be one of the arsonists, or not. And the arsonists, to my understanding, were looters who had resentment and decided to take it out on the memory of Sorn by burning what they couldn't take with them.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #3810
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

That sounds like the most likely explanation to me as well, though I would say that if you wanted to hide a body, an old burned out homestead would be a good place to do it. Probably the simplest explanation is best though.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #3811
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Sounds good to me.

However.... ... this will give Rowenna a chance to suggest her suspcions, however carefully and as "their little secret" that Scyld has more to do with the dead body than mere acquaintance with the soul that once lived in it.....
Old 09-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #3812
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
It's possible to tie in the dead body with toMorrow's plot, hm?

*walks off to ponder on it*
Old 09-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #3813
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay. I am sorry about my long absense.

Have we discussed further about the more involved plot that was being discussed a couple months ago with Nogrod and others?

I will put an effort into being here more.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #3814
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Dinna fash ye'sel', Foley.

I'm trying to recall what that plotting was all about.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #3815
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Heh...I am not recalling perfectly, either. It involved the other landlords, so to speak - uprisings, and the like.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #3816
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

As far as I'm concerned, this day is now done. Anything having to do with follow up on Scyld and Rowenna can be written as remembered stuff, I think. Shall we move on to a new day? How far in the future?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #3817
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Yes, let's move the timeline forward. Anywhere from the next day to a week, I'd say - I don't really have a strong preference.

Is Nogrod around at all? I feel like he was really key in some of the subplot planning that was going on around the uprising of the local lords.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #3818
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Tancred made war as a great commander and beat the enemy at the Pelennor fields. When he got home he realised it had been for nothing to himself as all his efforts hadn't saved his family. Despite the victory of the nation he felt he had lost everything he had - which is kind of true. So he grew nihilistic or at least cold of emotions to shut the tragedy out from his mind. And that might then explain how he was able to turn into an oppressive "landlord" at his late years. A bitter old man who thought he owed anyone nothing and that others owed him everything...

Alboin was shocked in a similar vein, but being so young when all this happened and brining the corpse of his father back to his home he had only been given all the responsibilities and troubles of leading the family, when he would have just wished to cry for his dad. Now why Eodwine thought him a coward might come important here: maybe it was partly because of Alboin's cowardice his father died? In that situation he would be haunted by his bad conscience - and even if many people carry that kind of loads for no good reason - they feel very real for those who carry them. And that would be the starting point of his "downfall" into a brutal exploitation of his surrounding farmers and trying to raise his status...

Friduhelm in turn could have been like Tancred's second in command or something along the lines during the war: like that they would have been really close and admired each other (at least Athanar thought highly of him and I think it was written somewhere that Eodwine both knew and honoured him as well). So Friduelm - who had been able to come back to a family - had not faced such troubles the other two had and stayed sane on his mind. So even if a war-experience always tends to leave it's mark on people, and Friduhelm surely had his own problems, he never got into that mode Tancred and Alboin got into. But appreciating Tancred so much he didn't wish or dare to rise up against him (and we could come up with endeless possibilities to the nuances of this storyline) and in the end rather gave up his lordship to his son to "wash his hands" from everything he saw happening. Lord Athanar's visit might have awaken him from that state, but if he will be killed because of that... then that's bad (but a good story).
There. Good reminder. So let's use this, and Rowenna's and Scyld's questionings as some of the bases for the new day, and Athanar chooses which of the three to deal with first. But never that simple.

Shall we start the new day a week later?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #3819
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Other loose ends

I'm putting this down as a reminder to myself mostly, but also as a thought of what else except for the main plot could be going on the next day.

-Ledwyn will approach one of the women (either Rowenna or Saeryn) to ask about what she overheard.
-Ledwyn will eventually have to talk to Laerdil, but not necessarily the next day.
-Laerdil and Harreld also wanted to have a chat at some point, I believe?...

I think that's all, and I am sure I will be corrected quickly if I missed something.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #3820
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Is my last post problematic?

My thinking is that Athanar and Eodwine both learn of the matter and Athanar delegates it to Eodwine since Rowenna is Eodwine's guest/friend/charge.

I left it a cliff hanger because I want to think and have some input as to what Rowenna may have found. It may be that she has found nothing but folks unwilling to say who has gone missing; or she may have a list of a good half dozen. Of this list, maybe the body can be found, or maybe the list doesn't include the body at all.

Thoughts?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #3821
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I think it's fine - just to be clear though, this is a private meeting?

I'm planning to post... soon... the last week has been busy.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #3822
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Yes, private.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #3823
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

If We're All Too Busy For The Complexities, Should We Perhaps Go Back To The Simple Stuff? At Least That Way We're Enjoying Ourselves And Are Not Intimidated By The Amount Of Energy And Time This Would Take. Thoughts?
Old 11-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #3824
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

It seems we're all too busy for a serious plot, so I changed up my last post.

Since Christmastide is near, I thought it might be fun to brighten spirits around Scarburg for yuletide. Perchance this will make it so it won't take so much brain power to post, and it just might be fun. I hope you like the idea.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #3825
Kyani
Newly Deceased

Kyani has just left Hobbiton.
Hey everyone.... I was wondering if I could introduce a character who might come to the Meadhall occaisonally? She's a character from a fanfic I'm working on, a girl orginally from Rohan who disappeared in one of Saruman's earliest raids, and then reappeared briefly in her village--pregnant--and was put out by her father. She now lives in the forest with a child, and is sure she can't come home. It would be fun to see how she is greeted, now that the war has ended... but of course she can't bring her child.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #3826
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyani View Post
Hey everyone.... I was wondering if I could introduce a character who might come to the Meadhall occaisonally? She's a character from a fanfic I'm working on, a girl orginally from Rohan who disappeared in one of Saruman's earliest raids, and then reappeared briefly in her village--pregnant--and was put out by her father. She now lives in the forest with a child, and is sure she can't come home. It would be fun to see how she is greeted, now that the war has ended... but of course she can't bring her child.
Welcome, Kyani. You're welcome to write on the Scarburg Meadhall thread after you "jump through" the small set of hoops the moderators have set up in order to make sure you're for real and willing to be a good barrowdowns role player. Read the "Sticky" and follow the directions there, and you're good to go. - Elempi

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=17230
Old 10-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #3827
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

So where does a thirsty Ranger get an ale around here? There hasn't been any activity in the RP forums since December last year. Is there no room for a light RP Inn around here? Just curious.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #3828
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Pipe

Light may be just the thing. If you post, I'll post. Let's see where this goes, eh?

Old 05-03-2015, 11:26 AM   #3829
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Anybody still want to do this?
Old 05-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #3830
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I would love to RPG again but haven't been in this hall IIRC

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 05-03-2015, 12:21 PM   #3831
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Oho, such ancientry... I would enjoy being part of some RPGing again, and this one was nice, but I think first big project would be trying to figure out where we are and what in the name of all is currently happening...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #3832
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Mithalwen, feel free to read the beginning posts of this discussion thread for the basics here. We'd love to have you.

And Legate, we can take time with getting this restarted. After all, we have to recruit enough people to be involved, and that could take time. No hurry.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #3833
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

I could be up for it as long as it doesn't bog down into 'this rule' or 'that rule' and 'can you edit your post to make the one I'm going to post fit' type of stuff.

And yeah, archiving as we go.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #3834
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Seeing that it has been a couple of years the Mead Hall has worked I'd strongly suggest we'd come up with a new one - or even better - take a time-leap to let us refresh the company of writers and characters. A leap in time (aka. not a leap in space) would allow using some of the old characters - which would be nice as I think many of us who wrote them the last time were growing quite fond of or even close with them - while giving us a natural opportunity to bring on new writers and characters.

I agree with Snowdog up to a point.

I really disliked the over-control freaking of some game-hosts - or players - of the earlier days (even if someone is the host / mod / patron, that doesn't mean it is your story alone), but I have seen the other side of the matter too where someone has fex. used my character in totally odd ways in no way fitting in to the personality, or rushing things forwards unnecessarily just for one's impatience when others have had clear and openly expressed intent of writing something for their part in a day or two on a particular situation before things get moving forwards storywise.

With good will and wish to do things together and honoring each others' contributions we can achieve a lot without unnecessary or constraining rules.

Talking of organizing, I'd be happy to give you Littlemanpoet the reins of the Mead Hall again (I don't think I have the time or resources to lead it), but I could think of letting Athanar or Stigend (and Cnebba!) to stay and to write for them - or then take on just a totally new character.

So count me in.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #3835
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have read the bits at the beginning but I don't have the time to read 35 pages of story before getting started really... so a time leap would work for me. My old character, won't work since he is tied to the Edoras area so I must start from scratch there.. so if there is a need for a particular type of character I would consider running with that. However if the extant characters want to pick up where they left off brief idea of what is going on would help or at least a suitable jumping in point in those 35 pages....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 05-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #3836
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Oh gosh... I would say I would join (time not-very-permitting), but I've forgotten who all the characters are! I will have to do a major review if this is to be revived.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:25 PM   #3837
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
If we're not in a super-hurry, I think lmp and myself could come up with a short(ish) intro into what has happened before, and maybe some ideas as to where we'd jump.

Although I think it would be nice to have ideas as to where to jump especially from you who have been at the Mead Hall already and have at least a rough idea where we have been thus far.

So which things, relations, general background trends, overall developments etc. you'd like to keep and which you'd rather get rid of?

Any brand new ideas from people who haven't been writing to the Mead Hall previously?
Old 05-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #3838
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Yes! Count me in.

Aside from a general drop off in writers, I feel like where we really got stuck there at the end was with figuring out what to do with that body that was discovered... I at least didn't have any good ideas.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #3839
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I never was involved in this game, but I got my feet wet a while back, and had fun with a minor role. I think I'd like to do it again.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:10 AM   #3840
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
After disappearing for several years, I could humbly stalk back. But I need to do some research about what my characters were up to, or maybe somebody could quickly brief me -

I suppose you've been using Modtryth as a background character, her being one of the household serving women, right? Nothing special? (Even though if I keep writing for her, I should probably also figure out if anything special happened to Stigend or Cnebba, and maybe what happened recently in general!)

And what of Athanar's good-for-nothing sons whose names I have momentarily forgotten? (Great, now Legate reminds me: Wulfric and Wilheard. Oh gosh they were awful.) Did they stay around or were they sent away to do some soldiering and growing up?

Mmm, maybe I'll plague Nogrod (or Legate?) irl about all this...

Anyway, I need to think if I want to keep playing these folks, or whether I should introduce a new character again (and leave Modtryth as a NPC and/or keep W&W out of Scarburg) - I think I should try to keep a sensible amount of characters...