User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2002, 04:05 AM   #201
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The Elf sat on the ground, and motioned for the hobbits to draw in closer. She asked what they wished to know, and there were many whipered reponses among themselves. None it seemed wished to ask the first question.

Loremaster spoke up, then. 'Tell us who will come with you, Piosenniel.'

Pio nodded at him. She listed the companions by name and race. As Nitir and Azra were mentioned, she saw one of the young hobbits smile.

The last she named was Mithadan, the Man, and there was a sharp intake of breath at this and a brief, troubled silence.

Then Loremaster asked her to speak of the rescue, itself. She told them that in seven days twenty Elven ships would arrive from the West. The rescue would begin the following day near midnight. 'There is a chance that we may come a day early for you. It depends upon circumstance, and our ability to coordinate with the newly arrived ships. You must be ready to come to us either night. Post someone to watch for us. We will send word just before we arrive.' She paused to consider her next words. 'I have just now seen your compound and the surrounding area. I will speak with Mithadan and we will get word to you of where we need you to be.' She swept her gaze around the circle. 'We are few in number. And from what I have seen, there are many guards now. We cannot hold them off while you come to us. You must be ready to fight your way to the ships, and we will do what we can to make your passage safe.'

[ October 13, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-13-2002, 10:17 AM   #202
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Co7A POST

When the Elf finished her report, everyone sat in silence thinking about the rescue. Then Kuda, a hobbit known for his skepticism and sharp tongue, asked, "This is all very well. But even if we battle our way out, where do you plan to take us? You won't make it far with a fleet of Elven ships. I'm willing to lay down my own life, but only if I believe safety lies at the end."

Old 10-13-2002, 10:17 AM   #203
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Who is this, who speaks now?' she whispered to Bird, perched on her shoulder, near her ear. 'It is Kuda! Never believes anything anyone says! Good luck with this one.'

'Kuda! Well met, my friend. You ask a crucial question.' The hobbit looked at her smugly, then a doubt began to creep into him as to how she might know his name. She smiled softly at him. 'I wonder though if you will believe the how of it?' Pio told the hobbits, in detail, how she meant to move the ships and the 'when' to which she intended to move them. A sceptical look came into Kuda's face again and he made as if to speak. She cut him off, saying, 'I have done such before. What I have told you, will be.'

Gamba stood then, never taking his eyes from the Elf, and spoke to the assembly. 'This is Piosenniel. Returned beyond hope from the West to aid us. We owe her some measure of trust and our gratitude.' He turned toward Kuda. 'Put your doubt aside, and let us aid her, as she aids us.

Pio smiled at this defense, and winked at the young hobbit, who sat back down, a flush creeping onto his cheeks. 'Who is this one?' she asked Bird.' 'Gamba.' She smiled at him again.

'Gamba, I thank you for your words! But there are some doubts that must come out and be dealt with openly.' She looked around the circle again. 'You must all have cleared your doubts by the time of the rescue. There will be no time for them then.'

Old 10-13-2002, 10:18 AM   #204
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Co7A POST

After Pio's words died away, Opal Baggins timidly raised her hand, "Please do not think we're ungrateful." The hobbit's voice was small and unsteady. "We have many reasons to fear Man. Yet you tell us a Man will be helping to plan and lead the rescue. How can we trust him?"

Old 10-13-2002, 10:19 AM   #205
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'How can you trust him?'

She looked aside, as if lost in thought and memories. Her words were filled with a certain tenderness when next she spoke. She told them of Mithadan, and how this task consumed him. He was there in Gondolin, she told them, and his heart was broken that he could not save them then. That he grieved for their suffering under Morgoth, she told them, and when opportunity came that he might aid them now in Númenor, he had thrown himself into the task completely and would see it done this time.

A light surrounded her as she told the hobbits of this Man. 'How can you trust him?' she repeated. 'As you trust me, I would hope. He is a good and brave Man. My boon companion.' She paused for a moment, smiling to herself. 'Trust him as I trust him, with my life. He will not fail you. We will not fail you.'

Old 10-13-2002, 10:20 AM   #206
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Co7A POST

"Opal." the Loremaster sighed. "Do not forget that when our people first came west, we walked hand in hand with the House of Beor. Our legends abound with tales of Andreth and Beren. Be careful. Do not judge the behavior of all men on the basis of a few." Opal nodded, but still looked hesitant.

Loremaster waited a few more moments to be certain all the questions had ended. Then he turned to Piosenniel. "Will you help me with this?" He pointed to a large gilt sarcophagus that stood on a stone pedestal near the wall.

Tuka handed Piosenniel the crowbar. She slowly pried the lid open so that Phura and Gamba could push it aside. Inside there appeared a royal face and form as fresh as the morning light. The figure was male and arrayed with a number of weapons of fine Elven design. Most were too large and heavy for hobbits. In the king's left hand, however, a small dagger sat. Gamba reached out and slid his finger along the edge of the blade. It was as sharp as the day it was crafted. He yearned to take the blade and strap it at his side.

Loremaster explained to the Elf. "There are at least ten or twelve coffins which hold such weapons. Ancalimon told my teacher of this secret passage the first day the hobbits came to these tombs. It was the last time that we saw him." An edge of sadness crept into his voice.

"We need to continue with our planning. Phura, can you give us a report of the weapons?"

Old 10-13-2002, 10:22 AM   #207
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

M12_30 POST

Phura cleared his throat, arms folded across his chest. "Tuka. Existing tools and weapons."

Tuka nodded. "Existing weapons. Well, there are three picks and three shovels from the graveyards. Then there are twelve picks and fourteen shovels in the new mines, none in the old mines. In the old Smithy there are seven hammers, four hobbit-sized and three men-sized; and ten sets of tongs, and five very long pokers that are too long for a hobbit to wield well, I think. And four shorter, hobbit-sized pokers."

Phura nodded. "I'm not counting the weapons that are too big for hobbits, although you are of course welcome to them," he nodded at Piosenniel, "So that's seventeen shovels, fifteen picks, four hammers, four pokers and ten tongs. We've lost most of our smiths, so the hammers may go unused, but for the rest, those weapons will be wielded by the people who are used to using them on a daily basis and are used to their weight and balance already. Then they'll just have to learn what to aim for. Your help with that would be greatly appreciated," he nodded at Piosenniel. "We're not used to thinking in lethal terms.

"In addition to that, we're sharpening thirty-six sets of cheekpieces and visors to serve as single-edged daggers. Since many of our stoutest hobbits will be wielding pickaxes or hammers or shovels, the more slender and agile hobbits will be wielding the daggers, about half of them women. These daggers are intended for the main assault, which will be slightly unconventional. Gamba?"

Gamba stepped forward and put his hands behind his back. "We've settled on a tackle-and-slit method," he began. "We're planning five to seven hobbits per man. We're trying to decide whether we extinguish the lights only, and then tackle them, or whether we hit the men with some rocks first, and then extinguish the lights, and tackle them. But the all the lights in the main cave have to go out together and a few dim ones be left in the annexes, or it's no good. With dim light, we've found that hobbits can still aim and throw. Training for the rock throwing is easy. Training for the tackling is harder to manage; we're trying out some climbing exercises but we don't have men volunteering to be climbed, so it's a little difficult. We've experimented vaulting off each other's backs and catching something above us one-handed, dagger in the other hand. But we can only do that where there are no guards, and that means in the old mines."

Phura nodded. "We don't have enough full-grown hobbits to complete thirty-six teams. Teams with smaller teenage children will have seven hobbits total; teams with larger-sized hobbits will total five."
There was a stunned silence, and all eyes went to Phura.

"If we don't pull this off, they'll die anyway," Phura said evenly, and continued, "I'm including any willing volunteers that are taller than my breastbone, which is two and a half feet tall. Parents are free to refuse permission."

Gamba snorted, and everyone realized that most of the young volunteers were probably orphans.

Old 10-13-2002, 10:23 AM   #208
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio wondered at the planning that had gone into this. 'That you have done so much already brings me great hope!' she said. 'I have not time now to show you how to use your weapons. I can only say that if you can disable the guards that will be enough. Your idea of teamwork is excellent, considering your size against theirs. Try not to face their weapons. They are too strong and too experienced. Come from behind if you can and slash behind their knees or cut their heel cords. A hard blow to their groin will slow them down enough for you to deal with them. A sharp cut to the belly with something bladed and they will die. Once down, crush the side of their skull if there is time. You need only buy yourself enough time to get yourselves and those unable to fight to the ships. Just stay out of reach of the weapons. We need not kill them all. Time will take care of that.'

'What of the Locks?' she asked Phura. 'My friend is in there, and I would know how she might be gotten out safely.'

Old 10-13-2002, 10:24 AM   #209
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

M12_30 POST

"The Locks," Phura nodded at Gamba again.

Gamba picked up a sharp edged stick he had brought and proceeded to draw a map in the dirt.

"We're here, in the old tombs. Here at the fork is the guard we just came past. The tunnel goes uphill, and the guards are stationed here, and the Locks are here. To the left, the tunnel goes out to the Locks exit and is heavily guarded to the outside. To the right, it goes up to the new mines and the newer tombs, and that's a busy place. There are new tombs under construction all the time; if there's a ruckus, we'll have company from that direction unless we can block the tunnel. There are a few weaknesses in the tunnels there but then you risk the inmates in these cells: here. Gammer Pansy, for one. The inmates have to come out first before we can bring any part of the tunnels down.

"Then it's a long way back down the hill, past the front entrance to the prison caves here, and the graveyard entrance, either of which could bring in troops that would cut us off from the river, which is down this way.

"And speaking of the river, the older and youngest hobbits can't swim."
Phura nodded.

"So the plan is, those carrying weapons that will come out of the new mines will deal with the Locks guards, prevent ingress from the Locks Exit and from the new tombs, and releasing captives from the Locks. Those carrying weapons from the Smithy will focus on keeping the passageway clear down to the Front Entrance to the prison caves. Those carrying shovels and picks from the Graveyards will guard the Graveyard entrance and deal with whatever happens there. And everyone else should make their way down to the river, with daggers leading."

Phura paused, and said, "The part that worries me the most, is the swimming. We have enough swimmers to help those who can't. But we will be completely vulnerable to attack while we do."

Old 10-13-2002, 10:25 AM   #210
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio crouched by the map, and looked at it closely. 'We can help you with the problem of both extra weaponry and with getting the non-swimmers out.' She described the air bladders to the group and how Mithadan had thought of them, saying that they would move weapons in on them, and that a number of hobbits might use each one to be floated to the ships.

She was vague on the next assurance, telling them that there would be armed and expert swimmers in the water who would deal with moving the air bladders safely to the ship. She had not mentioned the hobbrim when she talked of the crew on the Star, and she did not talk of them now.

They took her at her word and did not question her further.

Gamba then responded. 'I have another idea. I'm working in the Locks, but the plan would go better if we had someone on the inside helping us.'

He stopped and looked at Piosenniel. 'Daisy was sentenced to five days. It wouldn't take much to get her another five days.'

Pio's eyes darkened at this suggestion. She was loath to say 'yes'. 'I will agree to that if there is another who can be there with her. I would not have her there alone. Can you assure me of this?'

'There is Anee.' said Gamba. 'She would stay.' 'So be it.' said Pio, wearily.

Old 10-13-2002, 10:38 AM   #211
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Co7A POST

After they had resolved that issue, the Elf leaned back in deep concentration, speaking softly to Bird. Gamba wondered if she might be communicating with someone, as Elves do. Then she continued, "There is one other matter. The final night, when the two prisoners are taken to Gorthaur's temple, our plan is to ambush and rescue them. This will probably happen just before the ships arrive."

Gamba's jaw dropped open in astonishment. How could this Elf speak of stealing Gorthaur's prey as if it was an easy task?

Pio saw hesitation on several faces, but plunged ahead. "Do not worry about this matter," she added. "Our own people will make the plans and carry them out, although they may ask one or two of you for help."

Loremaster nodded in approval, although even he found it hard to imagine doing such a thing. "One other thing," he told the Elf. "We've selected men and women to organize and arm the hobbits in each section of the prison. Those who are very old or young, or who are ill, will march on the inside of the line and be protected as well as we can manage. We've tried to pair each of the weaker ones with someone who is strong and able."

"Do you have any more questions?" Loremaster asked. "If not, we'll meet at least once more. I'll let you know when."

One-by-one, each hobbit slipped out into the night until only the Elf and Loremaster were left. At that point, Bird hopped off Pio's shoulder and, for the first time in a very long while, changed into a woman. Then the three sat down for a final discussion. Loremaster had something to say, but was uncertain how to put it into words.

Pio looked over at him. "What is it?" she asked.

Loremaster put his head into his hands. "I hardly know how to make this request. All our lives, our people have been afraid. Afraid to raise their voices, afraid to strike out. Now we're asking them to change. It will not be easy. But there are some things that might help."

"The news of a Man in the expedition will spread quickly once the hobbits are told. Many will be afraid. Is it possible to bring this Mithadan to see us before the rescue, so our own people could be convinced of his decency and strength?"

"And there is another thing. For generations on end, our wise women and loremasters have foretold that Azra and Nitir would return when we needed them most. This is that time. Could they come into the tombs the day before the rescue? Were they to speak and be heard, some might be less afraid"

Loremaster added. "Perhaps it would be wise if we met in this place one more time on the night before the rescue. At that point, we could meet the Man, and Nitir and Azra could come to be with us."

Old 10-13-2002, 10:39 AM   #212
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The Elf's face was grave as she considered the request. 'So be it.' she said simply, holding Loremaster's gaze with her own.

'They will come. The Man with Nitir and Azra. I also will return. Look for Levanto to bring word of it. 'Until then, hold fast to your hope.'

She stood, then, and asked that Bird take her back to the river. The night had grown late, her friend would be worrying about her return. She bade him fare well, and hurried out into the night with Bird on her shoulder.

'So, who's waitng? Not Mithadan, surely.' 'No.' replied Pio, 'It's Kali. He is waiting near the mouth of the river with a skiff. I must hurry back to him, before he forgets his resolve and comes looking for me.'

'Let me help you.' said Bird. 'You can cover the distance more quickly if you'll swim with me.' She entered the water, changing into dolphin form. Pio held tight to her dorsal fin and they sped down the river. Bird took her to where Kali still waited and saw her safely into the skiff. 'Thank you!' said Pio, wrapping her cloak about her. 'I'm so tired, I don't know that I could have made it back so easily.'

Kali took the towline and headed the skiff back toward the Star. Bird swam with him, helping to move the craft along, until they had cleared the bay. Pio was asleep,lying curled in the bottom of the skiff, and Bird did not wake her as she left. 'Get her back safely.' she told the hobbrim. He nodded his assent and swam on.

It was late morning when they reached the Star. Kali woke Pio, and they both climbed aboard, going their separate ways to rest.

Old 10-13-2002, 09:03 PM   #213
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

That morning, when Gamba arrived at the Locks to begin his day, Daisy and Anee were waiting for him. Neither of them looked as if they'd gotten much sleep. "What happened?" Daisy begged, pressing her face against the bars of the cell.

Gamba was bending down to fill the water mugs. He glanced behind his back to see what the guards were doing. One was playing cards, and the other had gone off to find some breakfast. As good a time as any, he thought.

Gamba stared intently at the water mugs, and, in a barely audible tone, began telling the girls about the meeting. Daisy's eyes grew wide as she heard how Piosenniel had come to join them. The look on her face clearly said she regretted not being there. When Gamba finally came to the part about needing Daisy and Anee to stay put in the Locks, the girls looked at each other but said nothing.

Gamba saw the second guard come in, and pulled back to run and get his broom to sweep out the guardroom. He couldn't risk discussion at this point.

The girls sat down on the straw-covered floor, their heads almost touching as they whispered to each other. Both had questions about the rescue and what the hobbits planned to do, but they didn't dare talk to Gamba. They finally agreed between themselves what they intended to do.

Later that morning, they contrived an excuse to see the attendent again. Lilly had been sick, or so the girls said, and Gamba was ordered into the cell for clean-up. When Daisy told him their ideas, he shook his head in dismay. "That's awfully risky. Can't you think of something else?"

"No, it's perfect. It does two things, not just one. We get extra time, and the guards think they can trust you." Gamba scowled. That's just what he didn't like about it. The rest of the prisoners had no idea what was going on and would probably think he'd betrayed the girls.

Daisy reassured him she'd be sure to set things right, once they told the prisoners about the rescue. "I suppose," he responded. The uncertainty showed in his voice.

"Tomorrow morning then," Daisy whispered.

[ October 14, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-13-2002, 09:23 PM   #214
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

ooc: ...respond as neccessasry to Daisy & Anee; and... /ooc

That day, Phura began at breakfast to assign rotating teams of hobbits to enter the mines and sharpen cheekpeices and visors. He rotated the members every night, to include experience and avoid having the same group of people missing.

He also, in a low, rhythmic voice, chanted a grim new song that no-one had ever heard before; no one, that is, except those that had been at the meeting, and heard Piosenniel give her instructions on lethal blows. Phura chanted the instructions three times to each group he sat with. Most hobbits paled, hearing it, and some shuddered and turned their heads; but they learned it, one and all, chanting it in the dark, in the mines, as they sharpened cheekpeices and visors, or played dagger-leapfrog under Gamba's tutelage.

The older hobbits commented how strange it was to hear Phura's sweet voice singing such dire things. The younger adults adapted perhaps too quickly, and by the end of the day, Phura had to warn them to maintain a cheerful attitude, and not a grim one. It made sense, and they started cracking jokes again.

To his horror, after lunch, he found a very young hobbit cheerfully chanting the lethal-blow song; luckily, it was in the midst of a hubbub and he did not think any guards had heard. But then he had to circulate through the ranks again, stating the obvious, forbidding that the new song be sung near any children. By then he realised he had to create a command structure, and by late that evening, one was in place. Things progressed more smoothly for him after that.

[ October 14, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 10-14-2002, 05:12 AM   #215
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

During dinner, Gamba made an announcement, and after dinner, the hobbits gathered in the main cave.

Esta stood with two new candles. One she carefully stuck on the rock wall; the other was in a candleholder which she held.

"The Game, " announced Gamba, "is called Candlestones. The goal is to put out the flame without disturbing the candle. Knocking over the candle puts you in last place. The competition will be held in heats; top five advance to an increase in distance. The rest compete again to determine final standing; the last twenty and top twenty compete yet again.

"And that's because the last ten competitors get kitchen duty-- five to wash, five to cook." Everyone laughed, and there was scattered applause. The kitchen workers looked hopeful, thinking that they might get a chance to move out of the kitchen for a day at least.

Gamba continued. "The top ten competitors win nothing but the glory of having done well. "

General applause.

"But the grand prize... " said Gamba, and paused for dramatic effect, looking at Esta, holding the candle. He sparkled with mischief, lightly juggling the stone in his hand.

The guards had gathered closer, amused and intrigued by all of this. They were listening. All eyes had been on Gamba, and everyone could see who Gamba was looking at, and so now all eyes were on Esta. Esta looked at him, puzzled; he had not mentioned this. He smiled impishly at her, and her stomach sank. He wouldn't. He wouldn't dare.

"The grand prize, " Gamba repeated, with a flourish, "is a kiss from Elder Tura's lovely daughter, Esta."

The place erupted in a general roar of approval and applause, with numerous catcalls and hoots of laughter. Esta blushed furiously, but there was no way to back out of it without making a fool of Gamba-- and that she would not do. Without looking at the guards she turned towards the crowd, drew herself up to her full height, smiled, and with an exaggerated flourish that echoed Gamba's, curtseyed like her grandmother had taught her to. The applause crescendoed, and she enjoyed it for several moments, and then nodded, and stepped back.

Her blush was lovely, Gamba thought, wondering if she was going to kill him outright.

"Round One is at thirty feet, " Gamba announced, and walked over to Esta, to get out and set up more candles. She smiled at him, and said through clenched teeth, "And what if you don't win?"

"I won't lose, " replied Gamba coolly.

"Rascal, " smiled Esta, and laughed in spite of herself.

Azraph stepped forward. "I have a question, " she said, and a hush fell.

"Yes?" Gamba replied.

"What if the champion is a girl?" she said, putting one hand on her hip, and with the other hefting an egg-sized rock.

"Well then, " Gamba replied, thinking he should have been prepared for that question, "in that case, you get to claim your kiss from anybody you want."

The laughter and applause was still louder this time. Gamba smiled, thinking he knew who Azraph would choose. He wondered if she would, indeed, beat him.

Gamba did not, in fact, lose that night, or the next, or the next. Flushed with victory, each night's kiss lasted a little longer.

His main competition was from Corby, a smith with a very strong arm; from Mika and Kima, the twins; -- and from Azraph. She was indeed formidable. But there were numerous other hobbits who posed a very real threat, and Esta had plenty of time to practice looking cool under pressure.

Meanwhile, the accuracy of the stonethrowing increased steadily. The guards took to betting. Everyone's goal became to de-throne Gamba, and some of the guards adopted other throwers and tried to train them on the side. Not that the men had anything to offer the hobbits in terms of marksmanship, but the hobbits let them think that they did, for the additional training time.

Nor were the guards surprised to see hobbits practicing in all the corridors. Bored guards began setting up mini-competitions to pass the afternoon. Stockpiles of egg-sized rocks soon became a commonplace item all over the tunnels.

Gamba found a smooth rock that he particularly liked, and took to carrying it everywhere, and calling it his lucky rock. He let nobody handle it, and always used it in the final round.

[ October 14, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 10-14-2002, 09:55 AM   #216
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The Lonely Star was searched from bow to stern for Kali. When he could not be found, the Hobbrim and Mithadan took to the water, fanning out and searching even to the Mouths of the River Siril, but to no avail. Returning to the Star, Mithadan climbed to the crow's nest and woke Angara from a deep sleep. But she too disavowed any knowledge of the missing Kali. The Man descended to the deck wearily, nearly falling from the rigging once from lack of sleep and exhaustion.

For the remainder of that day and the long night which followed, Mithadan paced the decks with fearful thoughts running through his mind. If Kali had disobeyed and chosen to attempt a rescue of Daisy, the ship's mission was is great jeopardy. If caught, he might be questioned, even tortured. Or he and Daisy might have been slain in some foolyhardy attempt at heroism. Even Piosenniel might be at risk, for if the strange Hobbrim were discovered, the whole of the caverns would be searched by Numenorean guards. He resolved that if Kali were not found by morning, he would himself go to the caverns to continue the search.

Dawn found him on deck shirtless, dressed in light breeches with an array of knives thrust into his belt. Cami stood next to him arguing with the Man. "Levanto should be back today. Let him go to the caverns," she said. "He knows the ways of the river better than any of us and has the trust of the Hobbits, whereas you are not known to them."

"We cannot wait," replied the Man as he looked to the North. His face was lined with concern and lack of sleep, his eyes dull with fatigue. "If he has been captured, any delay may be fatal to our quest."

"If he has been captured, what can you alone do?" shouted the Hobbit. "We need information, not reckless action!"

Khelek and Veritas came up to stand on either side of the Man. "Cami is right," said Khelek. "We will learn where Kali and Pio are soon enough. Then, if need be, we can effect a rescue."

"Would you prevent me from going, Elf?" said Mithadan with a dangerous gleam in his eyes.

"Yes!" replied Khelek. "I would. You act out of fear and emotion, not reason. You have often complained that Piosenniel has acted alone without consulting with others. Now you have our counsel, do not disregard it."

"The Elf would not stand alone," came a voice from above. Angara settled to the deck before Mithadan. "As usual, you place us all at risk, Man!"

Mithadan met the dragon's eyes with a grim look on his face and Cami feared he might even leap at the wyrm. Angara did not look away, but in his eyes saw not the threat of an assault but anguish mixed with a desparate resolve. He feared for those he loved and could conceive of no other course in his weary mind but action. And deep within the wyrm, the Man's emotions and concern struck a chord. She sighed, a smokey hiss. "Mithadan," she said, "Think not that we feel no fear for Kali and Pio. We will act together if we must. Do not push yourself so far. You are needed, alive and well, whatever may become of the Hobbrim."

Mithadan spun away and rested his forehead against the mast. Then he turned and, placing his back against the wood, slid slowly down to sit on the deck. "I will wait," he said quietly. "We will wait together," added Cami as she sat next to him.

An hour later, the skiff reached the Lonely Star and Khelek and Veritas tied the small vessel off and helped its occupants to the deck. "Expect words from the Man," whispered Veritas to Piosenniel. "We believed that Kali had gone to rescue Daisy and feared the worst."

"He was with me," said the Elf. "We know that now," replied Khelek darkly.

Piosenniel sighed. She had again acted upon impulse and, again, matters had gone awry. "Where is he?" asked Pio quietly. Veritas motioned to the main mast. Piosenniel walked aft along the deck, then stopped and nearly laughed. Mithadan sat with his back to the mast with his eyes closed in sleep. Angara laid beside him with her head on his lap. Next to them was Cami, who stood as the Elf approached.

The Hobbit's eyes flashed with anger. She looked over the gaunt and weary Elf with concern. "Go to the galley and get something to eat," she hissed. "Then go to your cabin and sleep at least 8 hours. The two of you will kill yourselves if you do not work together and allow others to help." The Hobbit looked back at the Man. "As tired as you may be from your exertions, he has also not slept in two nights and has worked hard. I forbid either of you from leaving the ship for a full day. And unless there is some emergency, I do not wish to hear from 'reports' now!"

Almost, the Elf argued with Cami, but seeing the look on her face and feeling her own weariness, Piosenniel merely nodded. Then she looked at Mithadan. "We'll bring him to your cabin," said Khelek. "We'll carry him if need be. Such a pair you are..."

[ October 14, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 10-14-2002, 11:28 AM   #217
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

She had eaten lightly, then gone to wash the salty traces of the sea from her. Pulling a soft robe about her, she walked slowly down the hall to her cabin. She was tired, beyond sleep. Her mind restless with half-formed thoughts and surfacing questions.

They had brought the Man to her cabin. He lay sleeping now on the bed. She loosed the belt from his breeches and laid it, and the knives secured there, aside. His skin was cool where her fingers touched it, and she drew a light blanket over him. He turned toward her, still deep in sleep, and for a moment his careworn face smoothed out, as if in some pleasant dreaming he now wandered.

'How precious is he to me.' she thought to herself, half in simple declaration, half in question.

She pulled the chair near, and sat in it, her legs propped on the bed. She watched him as he slept, but sleep would not come for her. Only questions and doubts, some edged with fear.

It was well into late afternoon, the sun shone wanly through the shaded porthole. Pio sat dozing in the chair. Her mind, still restless, never sank beneath the surface of troubled dreaming. A sound and a light touch brought her up from sleep, to see Mithadan now awake, and looking at her.

He had propped himself up on one arm, and his other hand rested lightly on her ankle. His thumb gently caressed her skin, and a certain smokiness darkened the grey of his eyes. She smiled at him, and though the feelings he now roused in her were pleasant, she put them from her, and would not succumb to them.

Instead, she sat on the bed next to him, and kissed him gently on the brow. He sat up, facing her, and she took his hands in hers and kissed each palm, then placed her hands in his.

'You are beyond precious to me, Belovéd. I cannot . . . would not lose you.' He frowned, and sought to reassure her. She put a finger to his lips and stopped his words.

'I am sorry.' she said softly, the simple declaration breaching a wall between them that was as much, if not more, her building than his. 'Sorry that I have acted the way I have. That I have continued to place myself and my concerns beyond the concerns of both you and the other companions. I . . . we cannot go on this way.' She sighed. 'This is what I meant, when I said I would not lose you.'

Tears edged her lashes. 'We must come to some understanding between us, Mithadan, of who we are now, what we might be, if there is to be any hope for us.'

[ October 14, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-14-2002, 05:15 PM   #218
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Silmaril

Piosenniel's words held both pain and fear and Mithadan felt chill when he heard them. He longed to reach out to her, to drown her fear in a pool of his emotions. But he recalled suddenly the events on the deck earlier that day and the reason for his concern. "Kali?" he asked. "Where is Kali?"

Her proud chin drooped a bit more. "He is fine. He was with me," she answered, her voice trailing off into a whisper.

His eyes closed and he shook his head at the memory of his argument with Cami, Khelek and Veritas. He pulled his hands from hers and rubbed his temples. "Oh, Pio..." he began, then shook his head again unable to continue for a moment. A cold anger awoke within him which he restrained with a clenched jaw. He stood and turned away, stretching the aches from his back, then turned back to the Elf.

She looked up at him. "I'm sorry," she repeated.

He sat on the chair opposite her and looked into her eyes. "I am also," he began. "Sorry to have shouted at Cami and threatened Khelek. Sorry that matters reached the point where they nearly had to restrain me from swimming up the river to look for him. And what reception would I have received at the caverns had I managed to reach them? I suspect that neither the Hobbits nor the guards would have liked me much."

He shook his head again and waited but no words came in response. "If I had met you at any other time, my love for you would have been unconditional, and perhaps it will be so when we are done. But now you place me at war with myself. On the one hand, there is my concern and devotion to you. But on the other is my concern for the rescue of the Hobbits and the safety of my crew...and I do consider them mine, for when trouble arises they look to me for reason and steadiness and leadership. I live now in fear that someday I will be forced to choose between my concerns and by so choosing I will win the one but lose the other."

He knelt before her, and now tears started at his eyes as well. Taking her face gently in his hands, he again looked into her eyes. "Pio, I cannot lose either. I will not!" he said fiercely. "The crew needs the both of us -- as do the Hobbits. Your courage and skills and mine! But I need you...desperately, like I have never needed anyone before. Can we not satisfy both needs? Can we not both lead and love together?"

He rose again to his feet and looked away from the Elf. More gently now, he said, "I do not require abject obedience. I do not wish to have a servant. I said once before that you are altogether admirable...you are! I love your bravery and independence as much as your beauty and your kindness."

Facing the Elf once more, he continued, "I said that 'I would have Piosenniel'. I want no other. Can Piosenniel and Mithadan face the world together? Is this possible?"
Old 10-14-2002, 08:07 PM   #219
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Phura was elsewhere, Loremaster was busy, and the children were asleep. The guard had changed, and standing just outside the Study, Gamba recognised the guard that had covered for his gasp the morning before. He glanced in, saw that everything was in order, smiled at Gamba, and withdrew.

Gamba drew Esta deeper within the study, and kissed her once, and a second time, and a third. But then he heard the guard cough, and on an impulse he released her and went to the desk.

Sure enough, Phura came in. Gamba smiled. Phura was the least of his worries, but he was surprised and pleased that the guard cared enough to warn him of somebody's approach. He and Esta shared a knowing smile. Literary interests, indeed.

He glanced at the desk, and saw to his surprise that his own diary was open. He started, and considered the page. "Phura? You were reading my diary again?"

"You had asked a question, that I think nobody ever really answered for you, " Phura said. "About Niphredil's Lullaby."

"I remember," Gamba said, glancing at Esta. "I wanted to know why, if Niphredil was a grown woman, why Lindo wrote a lullaby for her. And I thought it was a love song instead." He frowned, pondering.

"You remember, he also wrote a lament for her, " Phura prompted, waiting expectantly.

"Don't act like Loremaster, " Gamba snapped. Phura looked away, embarassed. And then Gamba sighed. "I wish I still got to study."

"I thought you didn't like all those sappy songs we were learning, " Phura replied, with a wink at Esta, who smiled.

"Of course I don't, " Gamba said, turning away from the desk and shutting the journal. "I miss the songs about the elves, and Gondolin. And wars, and battles."

Phura shot him a warning glance, and Gamba dropped the subject.

The five children lay sleeping, some snoring, and Gamba twitched and muttered, dreaming. Loremaster was deep in slumber. But Phura lay awake.

Twelve years, he thought, 'til I come of age. I am a boy still. And yet, I no longer feel like a boy. And Loremaster and the Elders don't treat me like a boy anymore.

He thought back seven years to a wedding he had seen, with Gamba. There had been other weddings before and since, but that one always stuck in their minds, and he and Gamba mentioned it or discussed it once in a while.

What haunted them was the kiss. They had both been struck by it at the time, and neither had ever forgotten it. It seemed like the ideal, perfect kiss. Right arm around her shoulders, left arm around her waist; and the kiss lasted for about eight counts. Phura smiled.

Every time Gamba The Rascal collected his champion's kiss from Esta, Phura thought of Azraph, and wondered when and if their day would come. The approaching events of the next week could very well sweep Phura and Azraph apart forever. And even if they did not, he couldn't propose to Azraph for another twelve years.

Phura sighed, and rolled over, but it was no good. He got up, and slipped out to the tunnel by the mines, passed the guard in the dark, joined Tuka and Corby and numerous other hobbits, and sharpened visors for a while.

[ October 19, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 10-14-2002, 11:21 PM   #220
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A small insect sat on a ledge of rock, deep in a mountain, surrounded by a maze of tunnels and tombs, and watched a boy and a girl exchange a kiss.

They were lost in a world beyond walls and cages, and they never heard the sound of an insect weeping.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:13 AM   #221
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'You ask if you and I can face the world together. And I would say “yes” to you, save for the fact that I do not know if this is possible.'

'That is my dilemma - to be caught between my natural inclinations, the easy callousness of my familiar self and a love which seems at times to beg me to relinquish self altogether.'

She looked away from him, watching the sun sink lower in the sky. 'I have not found a middle way through this. Though, sometimes I feel my foot step rightly on the path, most times the way is hidden and I cannot make it out.'

She looked back at him. ‘I see your anger and frustration, Mithadan. And it tears me in two to be the cause of it. My actions drive a wedge between us and between myself and the other companions. You wonder if you will be forced to choose between me and the task set for us. The companions wonder if they will have to choose between you and me.’

'You say I have set you at war with yourself over this. I see that. I see the pain I cause you, and the pain I cause my other friends. It grieves me to have this happen.’ She paused, looking down at the backs of her outspread hands. 'There are times I see this and wish that I could remove myself altogether as a cause of pain for you.'

Her eyes sought his. ‘But I cannot do that. It is as I feared when you first called me back. My affection for the companions binds me to them, as my growing love for you, binds me to you.’

She sighed deeply, her next words softly spoken. ‘But the fact of this love is not enough, is it?’

There was no response to her question, and she expected none.

‘It is my actions that betray my love for you. They have been selfish, untempered by any concern for you or your sense of duty. They are divisive, causing us to lose focus, and become fragmented in our approaches to problems. We cannot hope to face the demands our quest will soon put upon us, and bring it to any successful completion in this manner. Nor can we think to face a life together if we are at such odds with each other.’

She stood, and drew near to him, placing her hands in his. ‘I would not have it so, Mithadan.’

She regarded him closely, recalling his words to her that she need not submit or lose herself to him – that he cherished her for herself. She took a step closer.

‘You said of the crew that when trouble arises they look to you for reason and steadiness and leadership. Will you offer that to me also when I come to you?’

His grey eyes held hers as he nodded his assent. Then in a clear voice he asked her also, ‘And may I look to you when trouble arises? Will you give me your reason, steadiness, your leadership . . . and your love?’

She moved within the circle of his arms and drew up against him, her head coming to rest against his shoulder.

‘I will.’ she said, simply.

He stepped back, and held her face in his hands as if to memorize this moment. Her eyes took him in fully as he bent down to her.

Then she opened herself to possibility, and surrendered to their kiss . . .

[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-15-2002, 05:29 AM   #222
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Sometimes, in a place of death and shadow, a light rises and endures. So it seemed that night, both in the tombs and on the ship. Many sensed the possibility of change. And two of these, Mithadan and Gamba, left behind their sorrow for a while.

The hobbrim and Elves stood on the deck of the Star, looking up to the sky. They could trace the goodness of a hundred glittering lights. Andril spoke in a sure, quiet voice, “It is a good night. Perhaps the last before we face the darkness that falls on Elenna. Let us enjoy its loveliness.” Rose and Kali both laughed with a certainty of hope that had not been there before.

Those from the ship and the caves stood together in an invisible ring of friendship. The Elves looked towards the West with longing, the hobbrim dreamed of a secret home, and hobbits wondered what it might be like to live without fear. Yet, for those who loved most deeply, they thought only of each other.

Still, for some, this night was hard. Bird and Phura waited for the sun to push fears aside. Cami stood by the railing, staring at the east. It was so far away. She slipped below, careful to avoid the cabin where the Man and Elf rested. As she pushed her door ajar, Ancalimon sat at the table, concern evident in his face.

“You can go.” Cami waved him off. “I want time alone. I need to think about my people.”

“Is that all?” he countered sharply.

“What else could there be? There is sorrow in the tombs beyond anything I’ve known. I would be foolish to think of anything else.”

“Camelia Goodchilde, I do not believe you. Lie to me if you must, but speak truth to yourself.” He sounded irritated and turned to leave.

She halted, then forced out two words. “Please, stay.” Her voice sounded hollow even to herself. “It has been three months, three months to the day since I left, but to everyone else, that was thousands of years ago. And I am supposed to look and act as if I’ve put everything behind me.”

“No one remembers him as a person, only as a figure of lore. But, to me, he’s real. It’s not enough that death steals away one you love. Even memories fade, day-by-day. Perhaps I should have been an Elf. At least I could keep things from changing.”

The answer came back without hesitation. “You are not an Elf. And, if you try to do that, you will slowly die. Use your head. Maura would never have loved an Elf, not as he felt for you.”

“Then when will this hurting stop?” she demanded.

“Stop? It won’t stop. But you will learn to live with it.”

Her tears began to fall. “How can that be? Everyone on the Star calls me sensible. One-by-one, they line up with problems. I reassure Kali about Daisy, I throw myself onto Mithadan to keep him from acting foolishly. I make sure Pio eats and sleeps for the twins. When Rose threatens to run off to the tombs, I remind her to think.”

“What they don’t see is that I am in pieces myself. I thought I could put them together by now, but it hasn’t happened.”

“No, and, to be truthful,” he responded gently, “I doubt it ever will. I know this is hard to understand, but you have a gift. Not all gifts bring joy. Some bring sadness or obligation. You have the gift of ‘brokenness.’ “

“That doesn’t sound like something people would line up for.” Cami retorted with some backbone.

Ancalimon laughed. “No, but it does mean you can look at others and see hurting, and help them see it too. Some people just give up. You won’t. And if you see someone like this, you will prod and cajole them from behind.”

“There’s meaning in that, Cami Goodchilde. You just have to be stubborn enough to plod forward and find it. I can’t make Maura come back, but you can find something that will keep you going until you find your way through.”

“But what of all these tears?” she insisted. “I feel like a fountain sometimes.”

“Then, be a fountain. For a fountain gives beauty. Believe me, Little Andreth, I am a messenger from the House of Nienna. I have seen more tears than you can imagine. Tears are no shame. Some lead to despair, but others free the fea to soar. Just be careful.”

She ran over and hugged him, and laid her head a moment on his shoulder. “Someday, I may find my way to Arda in the Third Age. If so, I will keep an eye on you and Rose.”

She thanked him and said goodnight.

[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-15-2002, 12:59 PM   #223
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Together, Mithadan and Piosenniel slept until early evening, free for a time of cares and worries. The Man woke first and, after dressing quickly, he walked to the galley where he gathered two plates of breads and fruits. Carrying these, he returned to the cabin and gently woke Piosenniel. As they ate they discussed the layout of the caverns and the Hobbits' request to meet Nitir and Azra.

"They wish to meet you as well," added Piosenniel between bites of an apple. The sleep and food had done her well and there was no sign of the weariness which had been upon her earlier that morning.

"Me?" replied Mithadan with some surprise. "I would think that the last thing they would wish to see was another Man. That would mean two trips up the river; one to attack the Numenorean craft and a second to meet with the Elders...unless we could combine the two."

"I believe there may also need to be one more," added Pio. Mithadan nodded.

"Khelek, Veritas and Angara will likely not be happy if we assault the Numenorean ship together," he commented. "It is a great risk to the crew's two best fighters."

Pio's face darkened at this. "You would not have me stay behind?"

"No," replied the Man. "I gave you my word that I would not bar you from that undertaking."

"Then you will not come?" she asked. "You gave your word that you would. Would you have me go alone?"

Mithadan smiled slightly. "What would you do if you were I?"

"You would be concerned with the effect upon the crew and the risk to the mission," she answered heavily. "You would send Khelek or Veritas along with me."

"And Khelek would trip on a rope or some such thing. Moreover Veritas is not suited to fight in stealth -- her skills are with the bow and the sword," Mithadan pointed out. He looked sidewise at her with a slight smirk. "We do have to take Cami and Rose to the caverns and myself as well, don't we?"

"Yes," answered the Elf with a puzzled look on her face.

"And the Numenorean vessel is on the way, isn't it?" he added.

"Yes."

"And we two are best suited for such an encounter, aren't we?" he asked.

Piosenniel did not answer. She frowned at Mithadan wondering where this word game was going.

"So if we don't want to have the crew worry about us, we'll tell them when we get back," he finished with a sparkle in his eyes.

[ October 15, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 10-15-2002, 02:12 PM   #224
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

It was late afternoon in the Locks, and they still hadn't managed to carry out their schemes. Gamba doubted the plan and his own part in it, but had reluctantly agreed.

The girls' idea was to have Gamba push open the cell door to come inside to do his normal cleaning. But, this time, Anee and Daisy would try to escape. Gamba was to race in their direction, and collar them both. Daisy said he'd win the trust of the guards, while she and Anee would definitely have their sentences extended, probably for a lot longer than 5 days.

Finally, just before Gamba was supposed to leave, a good moment presented itself. What happened was a bit different than they'd planned. The first part went perfectly. Gamba managed to get his hands on Anee and haul her back into the communal cell. She promptly earned her additional five days. But Daisy was another matter.

There was no way the boy could know Daisy had trained long hours under Piosenniel in a variety of weapons. So when she grabbed the broom to wield as an impromptu sword, he had no idea what he was facing. In her excitement, Daisy began fighting half in earnest, trying to make the scene look real. Within two moments, she'd knocked Gamba out cold on the floor, and the Men of Numenor were surging after her to push her back into the compound.

She fought as if possessed by a whirlwind, but it was hopeless against two fully-armed guards. She finally ended up tossed into an empty isolation cell, with an additional one-year sentence. Gamba was rudely revived with a pail of water over his head, and ordered to clean out a very large storage closet filled with an assortment of trash hat had not been emptied in several years. He was not allowed to go home or eat dinner until his chore was done.

For almost three hours, Gamba toted and tugged the trash out of that storage area. His thoughts about Daisy were less than charitable. He had a large bump on his forehead, and his head was beginning to ache.

Finally, he'd come to the end of the mess. He took his broom to sweep out the last of the cobwebs. Suddenly he heard a jingle from the floor below. He stopped and stared. A single look told him what it was. There was absolutely no difference between this old mislaid set and the one that was used every morning to unlock the compound and the individual cells. His heart pounded in his chest. With one sure hand, he swept the contents into his broad belt, hoping that no one would notice the strange bulge. Then he mumbled a good night and went racing back towards Phura to see what he thought of his new treasure.

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-15-2002, 05:28 PM   #225
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio laughed out loud at his suggestion. 'You are a wicked man, Mithadan!' she cried, lobbing the apple core at his head. He dodged it, and it splattered against the door to their room with a loud thunk.

'And why would you say that, Pio?' A catlike smile played about his lips, as he moved to her left and returned the volley. A single, flying fig whizzed past her ear and pasted itself on the bulkhead behind her.

She stood on the bed, using a pillow as a shield and fired several crusts of bread at his chest, hoping to hit that broader, though still quickly moving, target.

The pillow muffled her reply. 'Think about it! Who will the crew blame for dragging you off on some rash and dangerous mission. And being sneaky about it to boot!' Her "shield" took two soft hits as the returned bready missiles hit it. She peeked round it and grinned. 'Not steadfast, clear thinking, Captain By-the-Book Mithadan!'

He had approached closer, as she hoped he would. 'You must admit you've earned the title, Elf.' he laughed.

Just one step closer, she thought, fixing him with an innocent look. He moved in closer, an appraising look in his eye.

'Sneaky Pio, it is then!' she cried and swung the pillow hard at him, hitting him squarely on the chest. The seams of the pillow strained at the impact and burst apart. Feathers flew wildly about the room.

Pio laughed hysterically as he leapt at her and bore her down beneath him. 'Get off me, you great oaf!' she yelled, at the now laughing Man.

At that moment, the door burst open, and a concerned Cami entered,breathlessly. 'Pio! Are you alright! I heard yelling and sounds like fighting!'

'You should ask, rather, if I'm alright, Cami.' said Mithadan, standing up to greet her, brushing feathers all the while from his hair and clothes. 'I was the first to be attacked. I only sought to defend myself.' Pio giggled at his protests and he threw the other pillow at her.

Cami stood, now, with her hands on her hips, surveying the shambles of the room. A lone feather threatened to land on her face, and she blew it away. A smile crept into the corners of her mouth, and then she too was laughing with them. A few moments later, she wiped the tears of mirth from her eyes, and shook her head. 'The Star needs more of this.' she said, quietly. 'We have all missed it! Thank you, both of you!'

Pio got up from the bed and gave her friend a great hug. She looked up at Mithadan, who had come to stand near her, a questioning look in her eyes. He nodded his assent and pulled a chair near the bed for Cami to sit on. The Elf and Man seated themselves on the edge of the bed.

'I know you tried to talk to me earlier, Cami, about your going to be with the hobbits on Númenor. And I'm sorry I did not take your concerns seriously, and did not hear you out. You know that I went to see the outlay of the prison, and while I was there I had a chance to meet with a number of hobbits who will be leading the efforts on their side when we come to rescue them. One of them was Loremaster. He reminded me that in their history it is said that when the days are dark and hope grows dim that Nitir and Azra will come back to them, and hope will be renewed.'

She took her friend's hands in hers. 'He wants you to come, Cami. And I vowed that I would bring you.'

Cami looked at Pio in wonder and delight. 'How will you do this?' she asked.

In general terms, so as not to alarm her, Mithadan told her briefly that they would secure a ship which Pio had already scouted, and sail under cover of night to a place near the prison. From there, they would walk in, along a poorly guarded side path, and make their way to where Bird and Loremaster would meet them. Levanto would be sent ahead to give them warning of their arrival. Once there Cami and Rose, along with Mithadan and Pio, would meet with the hobbits' planning group. Then they must leave and go back to the Star.

Pio looked at her friend closely as she took in what Mithadan had told her. She saw a certain look of resolve slide across her features. The Elf laughed a little, then sighed, and hugged her friend once again.

'You will not be coming back with us, will you?'

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-16-2002, 12:03 AM   #226
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami smiled calmly at her friend and acknowledged the question. "No, my place is inside the prison. Not on the outside. Every one of us has something to contribute, and what I do best must be done there. The same is true for Rose."

"And what is that?" Piosenniel asked.

"Just to be there, to set an example. Some of the hobbits are truly frightened. They've spent their whole lives learning how to obey, to keep silent and not fight back. Now suddenly we've asked them to change. That wouldn't be easy for anyone."

"They've also heard about Nitir and Azra for years on end, and how we won our way to the highlands of Beleriand. Perhaps it would help if they understood Rose and I weren't six-foot warriors, but that we were willing to fight as best we could. Hobbits have to believe they can stand up and defend their families. Such lessons come easier from us than from yourself or Pio. And at least Rose has some training with the sword."

Mithadan shook his head, "But, Cami, you're not prepared to carry a weapon. How do you expect to survive?"

"You misunderstood me. What I said was that you'd be foolish to place a sword in my hands because I don't have the training or skill. I think few hobbits will have such weapons. I'm certainly willing to carry my bow, although I suspect most of the fighting will be in close quarters. I'll tuck a dagger or two into my belt, and if you can get me something light like a mining pick or a fishing lance, I'll have no hesitation to use it as best I can.

"Remember I was in the battle of Gondolin. And, when I had to, I killed an Orc. Yes, I'll be afraid, but I won't be so afraid that I can't fight. I'll admit, I'd rather battle an Orc than a man for all kinds of reasons, but this time we have no choice."

[ October 16, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-16-2002, 12:34 PM   #227
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Oh, very nice. You managed to get yourself seperated from the Anee and the other folk in the Locks with your little "battle". And Phura has a lump on his head the size of a goose egg! What were you thinking?" Birdie sat on Daisy's shoulder hissing naggingly in her ear for the past five minutes.

"Oh, leave it alone!" whispered Daisy. "I don't know what got into me. I thought the confines of the "Star" was bad, but this is ten times worse. Even though I knew it was a staged break, guess it just "felt" real, if you see what I mean. At least you have had the run of the place these last days."

"Hmmmph! 'Run', is right. I have to run these legs off to keep up with all you Halflings. Half the time I have to catch rides on whoever is going in the right direction, and take the risk I'll be found and swatted. And now I have to jump on the guards in order to get to you! That last one stank, y'know"

"So change to a beetle, or some other flying thing. I know! I know!" she interrupted as Bird was about to launch into another lecture, " 'The form chooses me, I do not choose the form.' And quit chewing on my blanket! It's cold enough in here without you poking holes in things."

"Sorry", Birdie mumbled, "Nervous habit." She dropped the raveled thread and sighed. "Well, at least Phura found those keys. Bit of luck, that. And Pio and the others will be on their way soon. It will be nice to see Cami and Rose again. I can't wait to see the looks when Mith appears!"

"I won't see them. Oh Bird, I hate it so much in this cell!" Daisy's lip trembled. "Birdie...can you stay? Just for a little while, until I go to sleep?"

"Of course, dear. Lie down, and I'll sing you to sleep." Bird set up a surprising quiet, soothing "neek-breek-neek-breek" sound with her back legs. Finally, with a sigh, Daisy's eyes closed and she drifted off to sleep, dreaming of a ship on gently rocking waves.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:50 PM   #228
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan frowned. "So you would have us concerned about rescuing three members of the Star's crew rather than just one?"

"That presumes we need rescuing," replied Cami. "Rose and I can take care of ourselves. We did so in Gondolin and Taur-nu-Fuin and we can do so now."

"I seem to recall that the two of you were captured by Orcs in Gondolin," retorted Mithadan mildly. Cami opened her mouth to protest, but Mithadan waved her words away. "I know, your capture was intended. Yet I cannot say that I like this turn of events." He sat heavily upon the bed and was immediately surrounded by a cloud of feathers.

"Remember! Everyone must do what they are 'best suited for' in this task, Mithadan," said Piosenniel with a slight smile. "Cami is no warrior, but she is very good at playing the part of the prisoner and organizing uprisings. We would not ask her to assault a vessel in stealth or use a garotte, but she has proven herself for the role she requests."

Mithadan pondered these arguments for a moment. "Very well. What is good for the captain is good for his crew," he said with a glance at the Elf. "But on one condition only do I grant you this, Cami. Once the assault begins, you must meet up with us immediately. As Pio says, you are no warrior...at least not with arms."

Cami thanked the man and gave him a quick hug, then took her leave to find Rose. Mithadan was sitting on the bunk, lost in thought when a pillow struck him on the back of his head...
Old 10-16-2002, 03:10 PM   #229
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Now that I have your attention, Mithadan - what thoughts trouble you?' Pio threw the pillow to the head of the bed, and sat down beside him. He looked at her and smiled, but said nothing. 'I'll leave your thoughts to you to mull over, then.' she said. 'But, if you wish, I would be glad for you to share them with me.'

She stood up and pulled on her boots. 'I'm going up to the helm to relieve whoever is on watch. Come with me! I know I could use some fresh air and a look at the waters and the stars.' She threw her cloak about her shoulders. Then took his hand and drew him toward the door.

Pio shut the door firmly as they exited. A few stray feathers drifted into the hallway. She grinned at Mithadan and shook her head. 'Let's sleep in your room, tonight. We can herd feathers tomorrow!' she proposed, as they walked down the gangway, heading to the stairs.

They had almost reached the stairs, when Pio saw Cami sitting at a table in the galley. She urged him to go on up without her, telling him that she wished to speak with the hobbit for a few moments.

Cami sat looking into her cup of tea lost in thought. Pio sat across from her, and drew her attention. She added her own requests that Cami keep herself and Rose safe, and that they hurry quickly to the first ship so that Pio might see that they were safe and let Mithadan know.

The hobbit looked at her questioningly. Pio shrugged. 'I promised I would stay on the ship. That was our compromise for my going. I intend to keep that promise.'

Cami looked at her closely. 'Something has changed between you two.' stated the all too perceptive hobbit. 'There is a calmer, more settled air between you now. An easier, and yet stronger bond. You begin to pull together as you handle the tasks that come before you.' She took the Pio's hand in her own, 'It's good to see this. It will make our parting from each other easier.' She patted the Elf's belly, and they both smiled.

Pio looked at her friend, and tears threatened at the corners of her eyes. She sighed and blinked them back. 'I'm missing you already.' she said, and looked away.

When she had regained control of herself, she talked to the hobbit about all she had seen and heard in the caverns. Cami asked her many questions, wanting to keep each detail straight in her mind.

'I do have one last area I need to talk with you about.' said Pio. She told Cami how the hobbits had asked how they would get those who could not swim well through the water to the ships. And she told her how she had assured them in vague terms how that part of the plan was already taken care of by those on the Star.

'What they do not know is that it will be hobbrim who will guard and escort them as they travel through the water on the air bladders. I need you to prepare them for this. We cannot have them frightened of those who mean to help them!'

Cami agreed and said that she would share this with the Elders first, to see how best to approach it to the general population. The hobbit stood and said she must go talk to Rose, now, and said she would see Pio tomorrow.

Veritas had gone below, and Mithadan now stood watch. Pio joined him, and leaned on the rail, looking far over the waves to the isle. 'Andor, the Land of Gift.' she murmured. 'What once was fair, now falls into Shadow.' She thought of the King' ships as they neared Tol Eressëa.

Evening had moved into night, and now above, the stars hung bright in the sky. A soft breeze blew from the west. The Elf and Man spoke softly about Gorthaur's ship upriver, and how they might best approach it.

'Levanto must come with us, so that the Elders will be alerted of our coming. I suppose we will take Cami and Rose up river in a skiff. They will have to wait just south of the ship until we have taken care of the crew on board it. Then we can anchor it near the caverns and walk in as we said. What do you plan to do with it once we go back to the Star? Scuttle it?'

Pio listened as he outlined his plans, nodding her assent. She looked back over the water to Númenor, and drummed her fingers on the railing.

'I do have one question that has weighed on my mind of late. I wondered if you might shed some light on it.'

'What is it, Pio?' he said, turning toward her.

'We are so few, against so many. What hope do you see that we can accomplish that which is set before us?'

[ October 17, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-17-2002, 07:17 AM   #230
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Cami sat in her cabin studying the daybook which lay in front of her. Already the cover showed the impression of many fingers which had lovingly touched it, night-after-night. Cami usually left the journal lying open on her table for anyone to come and have a look. She'd encouraged her friends to add their own thoughts into the narrative. Now these scattered notes were like a trail of memory that bore witness to all they had seen.

Cami took up her pen and added several comments about the events of the day. If only she could be sure that the final words would reflect as much hope as the ones she wrote tonight. But she'd learned that certainties were few. For even as one story ended, another began. And it was rare for people to recognize in their own lives where that point of transition was.

Perhaps her own ending had come this evening when she'd spoken with Piosenniel. They'd talked at length about the hobbits in the tombs and how Rose and Cami would journey there, just as they'd gone to Beleriand. But, this time, there was a difference. Even if they managed to return to the Star, she no longer thought of it as her home, but only a stopping point on the way to someplace new.

Still, Cami thought, the writing felt familiar and comforting. So many months, so many tales! For one instant, she considered keeping the journal tucked under her belt and bringing it with her to the Third Age. It would be a pleasure to relive the trek to Tol-Fuin or the startling moment when they'd first encountered Kali. She weighed these thoughts in her mind and gazed at the volume which she held in her hand. Then she regretfully set it down. It did not belong with her. It was the heritage of the hobbrim, and she, sad to say, was no hobbrim. That, too, she'd learned from the Star. Like Firiel, her heart and feet were too deeply held by the soil to consider a life bound to the Sea. Part of her wished that was different, but she could not change who she was.

A tiny knock came on her door. That must be Rose, Cami thought. She'd agreed to come to her room and talk. Cami had almost forgotten with all the excitement of the day.

Bursting through the door, the young girl came spinning towards Cami with outstretched arms. She reached over to grasp Cami's wrists and the two hobbits spun round and round, collapsing in a pile of laughter on the bed.

"We're going. We're really going. Nitir and Azra are back in operation." Rose smiled from ear to ear. Anyone who'd seen the women might have thought they'd been discussing a fancy dress party, rather than what was actually planned. Oblivious to the possibility of failure, they chattered on about what might take place and who they hoped to see.

At the last moment, Rose leaned over and pulled Cami near her. "Are you afraid?" she whispered.

"A little," the older woman replied. "But I'm not going to let Mithadan know, or he might order us back to the ship." They both looked at each other and laughed.

"This has been a long time coming."

"Forever," Cami agreed.

Then they discussed what weapons they'd take and the clothing they would wear.

Rose had still not confided to Cami what she'd decided to do at the end of the voyage, if they ever managed to get that far. Surely, Rose would tell her when she was ready. There was no use asking until then. But a part of Cami intently wished Rose's choice would match her own. Having a close friend along would make things much easier.

The two women nodded their good nights to each other. Cami went out to do two more things. First, she approached Andril with the journal tucked under her arm.

"You keep this. I plan to return and put the final entries in, but if something happens...." Her voice trailed off. "Promise me you'll finish it."

Andril nodded solemnly. "You will tell them about us? she asked.

"I promise." Cami said. "They will know they have cousins who care about them, and who will come to help with the rescue."

"And the choosing? Will you tell them about that" Andril queried.

"Not yet," she replied. "I'll leave that decision to Ancalimon and wiser heads than my own."

Andril laughed and hugged Cami. Then the two women parted. Cami walked down to the armory, where Kali was waiting for her.

"This is what you need," he said. And he flipped over a lancet which was just the right weight and length for hobbit hands. "I think you'll find this easier to handle than the sword. It requires less skill and strength."

For several hours, she and Kali parried back and forth. They practiced throwing and thrusting at a variety of stationery and moving targets.

Cami balanced the lance in the palm of her hand. She actually liked the feel of it. With time, she might become proficient in its use. Time, unfortunately, was in short supply, but she at least felt more comfortable than she'd ever been with any sword.

Kali helped select a lance for Cami to take to the tombs. She planned to hide it along with her bow and Rose's sword in one of the old sarcophagi. They'd promised Mithadan to return quickly to the ship on the night of the rescue. But who knew what obstacles lay between them and their intended destination?

Then she went back to her room and lay down on her bed. As far as she was concerned, the only thing left was to sit and wait, perhaps with a little weapons practice thrown in for luck. Surely it must soon be time for them to leave.

[ October 17, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-17-2002, 09:23 PM   #231
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan looked down for a moment pondering Pio's question. Then he looked up and his face was wan. "Truly, I do not know," he answered. "But I believe...I must believe that we would not have been sent here if there were no chance of success. Don't you?"

Piosenniel looked up at the stars burning brightly above. "I think so," she replied. "And yet I worry. For you, for my friends and for myself. And I wonder if I will live past that fateful day."

Mithadan laughed. "Now you are getting maudlin. This is not the Pio that I know. Of course you will live! Even if you ride on the first ship!"

Pio's eyes narrowed a bit. "Mithadan, you speak with too much certainty, as if you have seen the future. How could you know this?"

The Man fell silent, and he looked away from the Elf. "Mithadan?" she repeated. He turned back and faced her. "He came to me. Perhaps I summoned Him somehow, with my worry and concern. He came, the Lord of the Waters."

"When was this?" asked Piosenniel.

"A few days ago, after you asked to be on the first Ship. In my sleep He came and said the Teleri come and they are skilled with bows but are not warriors. But he said also that Tuor and Idril come and they bring some few of the Noldor who are willing to yet oppose the darkness with arms. Not many but some."

Mithadan looked out towards the West as if seeking to pierce the night and see some sign of the Elven ships. He continued. "I told him I was concerned. I feared bringing so many ships up the Siril and that I feared for you who had become precious to me. And He said: 'Thy entry unto the river and thy travel there shall be under my protection for my power runs through all the rivers of the world. But once thou enter the tombs and caves, thou wilst have gone beyond the reach of my mantle and all the skills and the resolve of thee and thine friends will be tested. But thy efforts will be for naught if the Elf Piosenniel takes not her proper place at the forefront, and if she does so she will be safe and thine efforts may yet succeed.'" Then Mithadan fell silent and looked away.

"Then we may succeed!" cried Piosenniel gladly. But Mithadan remained silent and did not met his wife's eyes. "Mithadan? Did he say more?"

The Man closed his eyes and shook his head, but his face misgave him. "What else did he say?" insisted the Elf.

Mithadan looked up, and a cloud seemed to cover his features. In a deep voice he continued. "He said 'But know this also, Child of Man! I fear for thee, for thy fate is obscured and a mist covers thy steps into the caverns. Take care. I would bid thee not to go with thy comrades and yet I know that this is not thy will. Take care lest the trail of thy footsteps enters the tombs and exits not!'"

Piosenniel staggered as if from a blow. "You will not go!" she cried. "You will stay behind! You must heed his warning!"

Mithadan looked into her eyes and without words, she knew his answer. "You cannot!" she cried, and tears fell from her eyes. "You cannot!" And her voice fell to a whisper. "No!"

He took her into his arms and kissed away her tears. "I must go," he said quietly. "You know this. I am needed...and I will take care."

Piosenniel rubbed her eyes, then looked at Mithadan defiantly. "Then I will go also! Into the caverns. To protect you!"

"Not to protect me," he replied. "To rescue those who need our aid. Yes, you will go also, but not to protect me. I will protect myself; only I can do so. You will go for the sake of Cami and Rose and Daisy and their kin. Swear this to me! That when you enter the caverns you will always look forward to where you are going and not to the side towards me. I will not have you hurt out of hesitation or fear for me. You must be Piosenniel the fearless as you once were and not be shackled by concern for Mithadan."
Old 10-18-2002, 01:38 AM   #232
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio stepped back from his embrace.

'This, then, is your counsel to me? That I should not be shackled by concern for you?' Her voice was ragged with emotion and a hollow laugh escaped her. 'Then better would it have been had you left Tulë in my place. He would have fought fearlessly at your side and with concern only for the successful completion of this task. And had you fallen, he would have sung your praises as a momentary hero, when all was done, and then sailed West.'

Tears threatened at the corners of her eyes, and she fought them back. 'That is "fearless" for you, Mithadan, and "unshackled concern".'

She turned from him and gripped the railing hard. The cold moon and silent stars offered no consolation as they shone on her face. She sought for some small measure of composure to return. 'I am bound to you, by my freely given choice,' she whispered, 'in the circles of this world and for whatever lies beyond. That is a quick, hard lesson, now. I had not thought to think of losing you so soon.'

He turned her toward him, and placed his fingers beneath her downturned chin, raising her face to meet his gaze. She thought that he might kiss her, and she turned her face from his.

‘Kisses cannot take away this painful knowledge.’ she said in an even tone, ‘Nor can my tears.’ She breathed deeply, and turned her face back to his. A certain resolve flickered behind her eyes, and then was hidden from his gaze.

‘I cannot be the fearless Piosenniel you have asked for, Mithadan. She died in Gondolin, and is no more.’ Her voice was steady and her gaze, now calm, held his. ‘I can be Piosenniel, tempered by fear, who fights by your side. And that will have to be enough for now.’

‘So be it.’ said Mithadan, in a low voice, pulling her into his embrace.

Ancalimon had come to stand watch, and as he passed them, standing there, he raised his arm and pointed toward the west. The obscuring clouds that gathered along the horizon had parted, and now, the evening star shone out, a tiny jewel, just above the lip of the dark sea.

‘Hail Eärendil!’ he called, in a clear voice.

Mithadan’s eyes sought the star in the darkness and smiled, his grey eyes reflecting its form and light. Pio’s eyes caught the twin images shining brightly in his and murmured softly, ‘. . . the looked for that comes unawares, the longed for that comes beyond hope.’

‘Come.’ she said, taking his hand. ‘Ancalimon will wake us should the need arise. Let us go to our rest. We will be safe in each others arms for at least this night, and I will take what measure of comfort from that as I may.’

[ October 21, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-18-2002, 05:37 AM   #233
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Daisy awoke that morning with a severe headache. She felt bitterly sad and alone. One look about the cell told her that Bird was nowhere to be seen. The walls were dark and dingy, and not a shred of light illuminated the tiny hole. Daisy couldn't tell morning from night except for some voices she heard coming from outside.

To make matters worse, the cell was so small she could barely stand up without banging her head against the rock overhang. The only creature who could be comfortable in such a place, she reflected, was a pint-sized neekerbreeker.

When she and Anee had been in with the other hobbits, Daisy had complained about the noise and crowding. Now, she would give anything to be back there again. She wondered how Anee was doing. Surely, the girl would watch out for Lily and her brother, and see that they had enough to eat.

The day crawled by very slowly. Daisy remembered that the attendents weren't even allowed to come into the cells which housed only a single prisoner. They could only kneel by the grate and push food through to the other side. Daisy wondered how the elderly Pansy managed to make it from one day to the next.

She fell back asleep on the hard dirt floor. When she awoke, it was mid-morning. Her back and legs were cramped from the tightness of the quarters. Breakfast had been sitting for some time inside the grate. It was a good-sized chunk of bread, about the size of a small loaf. She couldn't help but laugh. Maybe Gamba was feeling guilty for mishandling his part in their battle.

When she picked up the loaf, it seemed curiously heavy. A minute later and she realized that this was not an accident. Carefully, Daisy took the loaf and broke it in half. On the inside, where the bread was scooped out, was a full set of Locks keys. For one moment, she suspected this was a trick by the guards. She waited for the sound of betrayal, listened for footsteps, and wondered what to do. Minutes passed, and then hours. It now seemed more likely that this was no trick. No one came to her cell to search or investigate. Somehow Gamba had located these keys and passed them on to her. She found a small spot where the ground was softer and piled dirt and hay over her treasure.

Later that day, when Daisy's dinner arrived, she wasn't surprised to see another loaf of bread. This time, there was a small dagger inside. Again, she hid and buried her treasure.

This pattern continued for a number of days. No one spoke to her during that time. Gamba must have been afraid to draw any attention to her by even the slightesst whisper. But, even without an explanation, she knew she was meant to hold onto these things until the night of the rescue.

Other than that, the days passed slowly. Most of her time was spent listening to noises and conversations outside her cell. She tried to exercise her body as best she could in such a small space, but it was not easy. Sometimes, she slept for endless hours, and dreamed of Kali and the Seas. Her best times were those, plus the infrequent moments when Bird actually paid a visit and told her what was going on outside. Mostly, she counted the minutes and days until the rescue would take place. Surely, it could not be too much longer.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:43 AM   #234
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

The children often slept through Candlestones, but woke when Gamba and Phura came in, and snuggled up to the boys as they retired for the evening. Gamba sang for Maura, and often Asta, Roka, and Kesha joined in.

The children had returned to their dreams, and Gamba and Phura lay awake, restless. Gamba wondered what Daisy thought about the keys and the dagger. Phura reviewed plans.

Gamba stirred. "I wonder when we'll actually get to meet Azra and Nitir."

Phura shrugged. "You met Piosenniel."

"Yes."

"Well?"

"It wasn't like I thought it would be." Gamba smiled, thinking of all the years of playing the Levanto game with Esta. "And besides, I have my own now," he said softly.

Phura stifled an amused snort; sixteen years old and talking as if he was already come of age and married. He tried not to laugh.

Gamba persisted. "What are Nitir and Azra like? What do the commentaries say?"

Phura stretched. "Nitir was middle-aged, motherly, wise, gentle. Resilient, persistant. Organised. Thorough."

"And Azra?"

"Eighteen years old and reckless."

"Eighteen!"

"Ssshhh. Yes, eighteen. Lively, pretty, adventurous, sassy."

"Younger than you."

"Yes. And very capable. She spied on the orcs, and she wielded a blade at Tol Fuin."

Gamba went up on one elbow. "Really."

"Go to sleep."

"Loremaster..."

"Hey..." Phura shoved him.

"Go to sleep yourself!"

The children stirred, and the boys glared at each other, and lay back down.

[ October 18, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 10-19-2002, 10:16 AM   #235
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The morn of 15 Cermie dawned grey upon the Star. The magic of the lights which had captured them only a day ago seemed to be hidden from view. Even the star of Earendil which had offered hope last night had slid beneath the horizon to voyage towards some unknown place. In the hearts of those upon the ship, reality was beginning to harden.

Cami awoke that morning with a heavy longing in her heart. Most of the doing and acting and planning lay behind them. They were left with only waiting, and the waiting seemed unbearable to her. Cami wished it was time to set out on the skiff towards the Anduin. She wished she could grow wings and fly into the tombs. She wished she could see Bird and Daisy again. But such wishing without doing was only foolishness.

Cami rearranged her weapons and the few belongings she would take. She polished the lance that Kali had selected for her. Still the sun crept across the sky ever so slowly, advancing in its course only an inch or two. She stirred restlessly from her cabin and went into the galley. A few hobbrim were there preparing a meal. Even they acted strangely subdued. Cami could see Piosenniel sitting by herself. She thought of going and speaking with her, but something in the Elf's manner said she wanted to be alone. The Man was nowhere to be seen.

Cami's eyes met briefly with those of the Elf, then they both turned away. The hobbit slipped out from the galley, climbing above under overcast skies. She saw Ancalimon leaning against the rail and looking out at the sea. His outward expression gave no inkling of his thoughts.

Perhaps, he too wanted to be alone, Cami thought. But something inside impelled her to his side. For some time, neither of them spoke. Then, Cami was the first to whisper her fears.

"I think I'm afraid," she said, staring stonily out to the waves. "And I think others are afraid too," she shuddered slightly. "Only no one is saying anything."

"What are you afraid of?" he asked.

Cami stopped and thought a moment. For a moment, she wasn't sure of her answer to that question. When she responded, it was with a small, hesitating voice.

"I'm not certain. Only I know one thing. I'm not afraid of dying. I'm not looking to die. In fact, a voice inside says I'm supposed to live on, even though that can be just as hard sometimes. But if something happens and I need to give my life, I accept that as my doom. And I'm not going to dwell on it ahead of time." She stood silent for a while, her eyes still uncertain.

"Then what is it?" Ancalimon probed.

Cami heard Ancalimon's voice cutting into her thoughts. She finally responded, "I think there are two things. I can feel the frustration and uncertainty all about me. I see people struggling with things half hidden in their hearts."

"The Elf?" he asked simply.

"She's not the only one. But, yes, Piosenniel seems to be upset. And Mithadan as well."

Ancalimon shook his head, "Some things are beyond you, little one."

"I know." She looked up at the peddler with sadness. "But it doesn't make it any easier seeing your friends this way. I would talk with her, but I'm not sure it would help. Maybe if Bird were here. They're very old friends." Her voice trailed off.

"Leave her be for now, Cami. She knows you're here. This is much she needs to work through on her own. If she needs you, she will come to talk about that something."

Whatever that something was, Ancalimon was not about to share it, even if he knew.

"Is that all?" he prodded again.

Cami shook her head. "That's not the worst. What if we fail? My people will perish from Arda. Nothing will be the same again, ever. Maybe we'll just fade from the earth. Only we aren't like Elves, because there's no Elvenhome for us to go to. And the job we're supposed to do, those notes in the music, where will all that go?"

He looked at her and smiled. "You are worrying too much, Camelia Goodchilde. You are only a very small hobbit. Neither you or I are master of these things. Worry about your own part. Worry about your friends. Your words and actions can make a difference. But you are not the author of the whole story. And there are things in this world you can not even imagine."

"Then on these wider things, I am left with only estel," she looked curiously into his face.

"I fear so," he said. "It has ever been that way. Only know that the most important things in Arda are those that you can neither see nor touch."

"And if one way does not work, if the Star fails in its task.....?" The question came tumbling out half-unfinished.

"Then we must hope and believe that another way will be found. In any other direction lies despair, and despair does not sit well on hobbit heads. Or any others for that matter." At this point, he seemed lost in thought.

Cami looked up and smiled, "Now I did not say I was in despair, only that I feared."

Ancalimon nodded, "I believe you. Only be careful that one does not lead to another. But you are a stubborn one, and that, I think, will protect you."

"And," he looked around at her, "I do not think you have forgotten the promises spoken on Tol-Fuin that night."

She shook her head in fierce denial, and said only a single word. "Never!"

"Then remember those things, and what I've said, to try and make this waiting a easier. If it's any consolation, I too dislike this sitting and waiting and wondering. I will be glad when the waiting is over, and we can begin to do."

Then Cami nodded and went off to find Rose.

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-19-2002, 07:33 PM   #236
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio had seen Cami look her way, and on any other day she would have been glad of the hobbit's company and true-spoken words. But not today.

She was tired, her emotions too near the surface. They had discussed his decison no further that night. He was honor bound to make the choice he had. She understood that, and cherished him for it. She would not use herself, her needs and wants, to turn him from his rightful path. That way was folly and the end of any hope that they might go on together.

Instead, she had lain awake all night, and watched him as he slept, willing her memory to take in each detail - the warmth and strength of his arms, the gentleness of his hands, the taste of his lips, his laugh, his sea-grey eyes . . .

Now the new day had dawned, and she left him to his dreams. She had gone quietly to her room and taken out her sword and her boiled leather vambraces. Beneath her loose tunic she put on her mithril shirt. A pair of tights and her knee high boots completed her attire. Under her arm she carried her helm.

At Andril's door, she had knocked lightly, and spoken with her for a few moments. Andril had promised to gather all the hobbrim together who were going to be bearing weapons in the rescue. They would arm themselves and meet the Elf on deck in an hour. Pio wanted them to drill with her. She would play the part of the guard and they would see how best they might defend against her, to move the hobbits safely from the banks of the river to the water and the safety of the ships.

While she waited, she passed the time drinking a cup of tea, and thought about the two other conversations she wanted to have today. Angara first, she thought, then Ancalimon. Some last pieces of the plan to put in place before the Teleri arrived.

Her tea done, she went up to the deck to wait for the hobbrim. She buckled on her vambraces, and drew her blade. Her mind was restless and she calmed it with her breathing. In a patch of pale morning sun, she went through some warm-up moves, and then the patterns her first teacher had shown her.

Advance, retreat, then side to side, and turn to repeat the moves in endless combinations. Her feet moved lightly and surely, without thought, the blade attacking and then defending against an unseen foe. Her face was grim, her passes lethal as they sliced through the air.

As if from far away, the sounds of voices came to her. She paused, and dropping the point of her blade to the ground, focused on the source. The hobbrim had come up to the deck, and now stood watching her. Their faces were grim as they grasped their spears and staves, reflecting the grimness of hers as she danced with her blade. None came forward to engage her.

She relaxed her stance, and leaned on her blade in a casual manner She smiled, and her laugh broke the tension, a light, silvery sound that eased their fears.

'Come!' she urged them. 'Break up into groups of three and four as defenders. Let two or three others, then, be the ones they are rescuing. I will be the guard who seeks to prevent your success. Then let us see how best you can defend against me and get your charges to the ship.'

She laid her sword to one side, and picked up a slender wooden pole in its place. 'It is a game, of sorts,' she told them, 'But one you must do your best to win.' She picked up the helm from where she had placed it on the deck and secured it on her head.

Pio slashed the pole through the air, getting the feel of it with a few practice strokes. 'Don't worry about the rightness or wrongness of technique. Avoid my blade as best you can, and take me out with any opportunity that arises, in any way you can.'

They were hesitant at first, but she was a patient and insistent teacher. Soon they were well into it, and proved themselves quite capable of the task laid to them. They had a keen sense of how best to work together as a team, overwhelming her attack often with their quick and stealthy movements.

At first, they had feared to touch her with their weapons, but she tapped them hard when she engaged them, and soon they answered back in kind. She smiled, though the blows stung, and cheered them on.

Two hours later, she called a halt to the practice. they were beginning to weary and get sloppy in their approaches to her. 'Let's meet again tomorrow morning.' she told them. 'Practice together this afternoon, if you wish, some of you taking the position of the guards. But, use the dull practice poles only! I would not have you injured before we engage the real foe.'

The late morning's breeze cooled her as she removed her helm and arm guards. 'I should have found some greaves to put on!' she chided herself, as she bent and rubbed the places where blows had met her legs. She was grateful she had put on the mithril shirt. Though, despite its protection, some dull bruisings appeared over her ribs, and she could feel where someone's club had met the small of her back.

Angara called down to her from her perch on the mast. 'Arrogant Elf! Serves you right for thinking yourself capable of taking them all on.'

Pio motioned for her to come down. 'I need to speak with you, Angara. Be sweet, if you will, and come down to me.'

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-19-2002, 11:12 PM   #237
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Sweet, indeed!' humphed the dragon as she came to settle at Pio's feet. The Elf motioned her to follow, and they went to sit at the stern. Pio let her legs hang over the edge, resting her arms on the lower railing.

'Well,' said Angara, 'is this to be another talk about the rescue of the Hobbits and who is to keep whom safe now? I thought we had all agreed that you would be on, stay on, the first ship and that I would keep any harm from coming to you.' She looked closely at the Elf, who stared far out to sea, as if lost in thought.

The dragon sighed loudly, drawing Pio's attention back to her. What she saw reflected in her face did not bode well for the plan. 'You are not getting off that ship, Elf. I forbid it!' Her tail twitched dangerously. 'I will pin you to its deck if need be, until you have completed the time shift.'

Pio laid her forehead against the cool wood of the railing, saying softly, 'Better you should pin Mithadan to the deck, Dragon. He is the one who will be in danger.'

Angara considered this suggestion with some relish, and laughed. She was about to reply how much she would enjoy this, when she saw the tears streak down the Elf's face. Her eyes narrowed, and the words froze in her mouth.

'What's this?' she said, instead. 'What has he done now to make you sad?'

Pio regained her composure and told Angara of the prophecy of Ulmo. That she would be assured of safety and success as she lead the rescue in the first ship, but that the outcome for Mithadan was unclear to Ulmo, and in fact, might prove fatal to him.

'And what would you have me do now?' asked the Dragon. 'He will not allow me to follow him about like a faithful guard dog!'

'You need not follow him, nor do you need to concern yourself with my safety any longer. I will be by his side when we enter the caverns. There is something that I need for you to do for me should I not be able to do it.'

Angara shook her head, not liking the direction this talk was taking. 'What do you mean, "not be able to do it"? What riddles are you talking in now?'

Pio looked directly at Angara. 'When the rescue is complete, when all the Hobbits are aboard, the time shift must happen immediately. You know that. We cannot hold off the full force of the prison guards for an extended period of time. We are too few, and they are too many and too well armed. I need you to promise me that you will make the link to transfer the the ships, should I not be there. Do not wait for me. Do not jeopardize what we have planned so long to do.'

She turned her face back to the sea. 'I know you can do this, Angara. The Hobbrim, the Hobbits, and all the companions will look to you for this help. The babies and children, Angara, I would ask that you not fail them when their need is greatest.'

'Do not throw the babies and children at me, Piosenniel! You mean to follow him to his death, don't you?! No! I will not do this!'

'Angara, I will prevent his death if I may. I cannot say that I will be successful. You must do this for me, my old friend. Give me some measure of peace on that day that what we do has not all been in vain.'

The dragon's eyes were a bright, burnished gold as she looked deeply at the Elf before her. The depth of Pio's resolve shook her, and a small, strangled cry of grief escaped her. She bowed her head, and spoke softly.

'I will do this for you, Elf, though it breaks my heart in the doing.'

They sat for a while, in silence. Then Angara spoke to her, and her voice was filled with bitterness. 'I should have killed him when first I saw him look at you. I knew it would only come to grief should he win your heart.'

'And how did you know this?' asked Pio, letting the dragon bring forth all her feelings without judgement.

'There is a story, that Cami learned in Beleriand. It was dear to her heart, and she told it to me once. I did not think much on it then, only that she seemed to get some small comfort from the telling of it.' Angara's voice broke, and she looked away from Pio. 'Now I think it all too telling of what will happen to you.'

Pio waited for her to go on. 'It is the story of Finrod, the Elf, and his conversation with a mortal woman, Andreth. Finrod's brother had loved her deeply, but chose not to form a permanent relationship with her. Andreth pressed Finrod for the reasons why, and he told them to her. The last was a grim one, and I recalled it when first you told me of your love for the Man. It is a fateful warning, and the words of it, even now, bring a chill to my heart.'

'Speak it to me, Angara. I also would understand this Doom which now lies on me.'

'This is how Cami spoke it to me:'

'For one year, one day, of the flame I would have given all: youth, kin, and hope itself: adaneth I am,' said Andreth.

'That he knew,' said Finrod; 'and he withdrew and did not grasp what lay to his hand: elda he is. For such barriers are paid for in anguish that cannot be guessed, until it comes, and in ignorance rather than in courage the Eldar judge that they are made.

'Nay, adaneth, if any marriage can be between our kindred and thine, then shall it be for some high purpose of Doom. Brief it will be and hard at the end. Yea, the least cruel fate that could befall would be that death should soon end it.'

'If you deem it so, then have I chosen in ignorance, Angara. But chosen, I have. Allow me the courage to see it through to the end.'

Angara was silent at this. But Pio spoke further.

'The rescue of the Hobbits in the caverns and their safe delivery to the Anduin comes first with me, Angara. This is why I ask this favor of you. Not because I have resolved to die should Mithadan be slain.'

She looked hard at her old friend. 'I do love him, that is a certainty. So much so, that were I to think you a real threat to him, I would not hesitate to slay you.'

The dragon stepped back from her, regarding her warily.

'But he is not my whole life, and never will be.' She rubbed the back of her neck, and went on. 'Should he live, I will rejoice in that moment. And should he die, then will I grieve a long while, and go on. At my center, I remain the Piosenniel that has always been, stepping up to meet each situation as it presents itself, for good or ill.'

'And that is enough,' said the dragon, softly, 'at least for me.'

The dragon had gone back to her vigil on the mast. Pio sought out Ancalimon. He was to be her second backup. She found him, late in the evening, standing at the bow, looking north. 'It is quiet.' he remarked, turning to face her. 'Another night should pass without trouble for us.'

'Let us hope so.' She sat on a chair near the railing and propped her feet up on it. 'I need a favor of you, Ancalimon.'

'And what is that, Pio? The same as you asked of Angara?'

'Good, then you have spoken with her, and you know what I need already.' She looked up at him, and went on. 'I would like you to be in the first ship with me. And if Angara for some reason cannot make the link, then I need you to do so. You are capable of it, I know. I will place Idril on the Star to complete the link strongly with you. There should be no problem between the two of you in shifting all the ships. Will you do this?'

'So the completion of the task comes first then.' he stated. 'In the large sense, yes.' she replied. He nodded his head. 'Then, I will do it.'

She got up to go below. His voice came quietly to her. 'She did not tell you all the story.' he motioned upward to where Angara perched. 'She did not speak to you of what Finrod said concerning estel, hope.'

'Ah, yes, 'hope'. I find that a hollow word at the moment, Ancalimon. And one which brings only more sorrow with it. To hope is to hang on to a joy which may or may not come, and never has a 'hope' of any permanence. It is a cold comfort at best. Better for me to remain in the present and deal with present matters as they come up. This I can do.'

She bade him good night then, and went down to her room. Moonlight poured in through her
porthole, and feathers rose up like small sprites as she threw herself on the bed. A laugh of delight at this small beauty escaped her. She knelt on her bed at the porthole and watched the starlight ride the waves.

'What a foolish Elf, you are Pio!' she chided herself, thinking back on her conversations with Angara and Ancalima. 'You have made the claim of selfless bravery, and now you must live up to it.'

Pio lay down and pulled the pillow to her. She thought long and hard about the days to come, and a certain resolve came to her. And then sleep came, and all her concerns gave way to fleeting dreams.

Finrod and Andreth quote from: JRR Tolkien,
'Morgoth's Ring', "Athrabeth Finrod An Andreth", p. 324., Houghton Mifflin Co., 1993.

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 10-20-2002, 06:19 PM   #238
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The night before she and Cami were to go to the caves Rose found herself wandering the deck of the ship stareing at the sky. The stars seemed especially bright that night, as if they were trying to reach out to the Lonely Star and give it and it's crew hope. Then Rose knew, that their "star" really wasn't lonely at all. They had all the powers of good behind them. At least, this is what the hobbit thought as she walked about the deck.

As she walked Rose found she was not the only one awake. Cami stood at the railing looking out towards the caves. Rose joined her and without turning to look at her Cami said in a whisper, "Do you think your ready?"

"Yes. I've been ready since we first set foot on this ship," replied Rose. "It's been such a long time since then. And an even longer time since I last saw the Shire. My home. Nomatter what the elves, men or dwarves may build, nor does it matter how wonderfull the sea may be, for me, it will never surpass the simple beauty of the Shire. I miss it. And I want to go back to it."

Beside her, Rose knew Cami was holding back a sob. She turned to Cami with a warm smile and a tear in her eye. "But...If I've learned one thing on this adventure, It's that the people you love are far more important then land or objects. Cami, to me you've been a mother, a sister, a teacher and a dear friend. I've come this far with you and I'm not about to leave you now. If I ever get back to the Shire, it will either be with you or not at all. I'm going to the Third Age."

With this they both embraced.

[ October 21, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 10-20-2002, 07:33 PM   #239
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Then Cami stepped back and smiled. “I am proud of you, Cousin Rose. I confess that, when you first came to me, I thought things would never work out. We were just too different! I, with my nose in a book half the day, and you, running about and climbing trees, sticking your nose in this venture or that. Believe me; I’d never seen a hobbit lass take such a shining to swordplay. More than once, I thought we’d drive each other to some crazy end.”

“Since then, you’ve taught me a lesson or two. You’ve taught me spunkiness and loyalty and how to have fun. And there’s few who can match you in never giving up. No one could ask for a better pupil or friend. And how you managed to find out my plans in Beleriand, I’ll never know. But I couldn’t have made it through without you there. ”

“Rose, you are the daughter I never had, but always wished for. You have a very special place in my heart. I would be honored to travel together and work towards building a home, whether in the Shire or some other green land.”

Then Cami told Rose how she must take care in the tombs and during the rescue, since they both hoped to come through alive. She must fight with as much fierceness and resolve as she dared, but not do anything too reckless. Rose laughed with the assurance of the young, and promised to heed Cami’s warning.

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-20-2002, 07:42 PM   #240
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

ooc: just in case