The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2003, 05:13 AM   #1
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Insanity

I was talking to Leowen about this, and it seems an interesting theory. We both believe that all Downies are insane. Crazy. Whatever word you want.
I was wondering why this might be. What is it about insanity that draws us to LotR? Were we insane before or after liking it? Did it make us insane? Did BD make us insane? Did we start off like that and is there something that draws insane peple to LotR or BD?
If anybody has any ideas, please post them.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:07 AM   #2
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Naurwen_of_Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naurwen_of_Lothlorien
Sting

Well I've never really been...what's the word...'normal'.

Even before I came to the Barrow Downs I was a little unstable. But it could be because of LotR because I first saw the animated version when I was four and that began my LotR obsession. Perhaps thats the reason? Or maybe not, because even before that....oh gosh, I can't even remember!!

Anyway, interesting theory indeed! There might be an element of truth in it too! Everyone on the barrow downs is insane. Even The Barrow Wight?

Maybe he moonlights as an evil clown or something...no wonder he's so darn scary...

Yours insanely,

~Naurwen [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Naurwen_of_Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:18 AM   #3
The Elusive Spirit
Haunting Spirit

The Elusive Spirit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I also was not completely "normal" before I found LOTR. However I believe that LOTR has allowed me to embrace my insaneness. BD has simply provided me with the opportunity to publicly display my insanity. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
The fresh and boundless wood,
And torrents dashed, and rivlets played,
And fountains spouted in the shade.
-Bryant
The Elusive Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:11 AM   #4
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Yeah...I went completely insane early 1999. I never used to be dyslexic or stutter or babble...hmm.
And the BW would like to comment on that statement, but he's too busy accepting his Mr. Universe trophy at the moment... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:21 AM   #5
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Personaly, I was insane before I found LOTR. But I think it was a great indulgence and that the BDs were the letout for all of it. I think that most of the people here were probably crazy to some degree before coming here, and that we just helped them along on their individuial roads to insanity! And the one's who come here in their full right minds, are simply destined to be draw in like the rest of us! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 11:17 AM   #6
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Ring

Um, I discovered sugar highs spring 2001, I read the Hobbit and LOTR Winter 2002, saw the movie Spring 2002. So, I was slightly crazy before LOTR, now I'm completely insane. That's my life of insanity in a nutshell! *Listens for applause, hears cricketts chirping.*
Old 08-20-2003, 11:23 AM   #7
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Insanity? It's been my lifelong friend! I've always been insane, but BD and LotR has just made me more so.That's why I love them so much. *kisses computer*
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 11:29 AM   #8
The_Hand
Haunting Spirit

The_Hand has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I have to say that I never wanted to be normal... I guess that why I found lotr. But I wasn't insane until now. Now I know more Middle-Earth history that Earths history!!! But I think that however we find lotr we all become insane in the end!

I have a lot of gratitude towards BD because I was a bit lonely in my insanity but here I found somewhere I could express it without people running away from me!
The_Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 11:58 AM   #9
Aethelwine
Wight

Location: In Anórien, just outside Edoras, on a horse I "borrowed"...
Aethelwine has just left Hobbiton.
Poeh... I'm not alone!

Me to. I was also insane before, my entire life, for as far I know... Isn't it cool?!?! I love being insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All my friends are insane to... But, to bad, not about LOTR *sob* Ah well, at least they don't look TO strange at me when I do BD-things, like suddenly quoting lines from the books and the movies... I say, I got it here! I never did that before, even if my crazyness with LOTR started when I was about 8...

I know that I was already complety crazy before I came here, but you guys only increased it. I love you!!!!

Aethelwine.

BTW - Sorry for any mistakes, I'm tired... [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2003, 12:01 PM   #10
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

I was always insane, though sometimes I hid it... but now I'll announce it to the world: I am absolutely insane!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I think that the BD attracts a crowd of people who are pure Tolkienites and are easy to get along with...put a middle-earth mirth catergory in front of us, and you'll see how insane we all really are. I've never found anyone with so much in common with me as far as insanity goes, but here, I've found my long-lost brother! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: ElenCala Isil ]
Old 08-20-2003, 02:00 PM   #11
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've been told I need professional help, but I was rather insane before I came to this site. But I think it may have contributed to my insanity, but not because of Lotr itself. I think my obsessiveness has gotten me a reputation as a crazy lady. Wait, no... that was because of my Denethor addiction.
Old 08-20-2003, 02:20 PM   #12
One Axe to Rule them All
Wight

One Axe to Rule them All has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I insist that i'm insane, but my fingerpainting teacher always tells me i'm "special"...

It could be that we spend too much time in front of a computer screen, and the color scheme of the BD's page is causing brain damage that makes us loonies...
Old 08-20-2003, 02:45 PM   #13
Arien_Tinuviel
Pile O'Bones

Arien_Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Lord of the Rings is an origional and...well...different story. As is the Barrow Downs (and TORC if you're registered there) therefore, those who seem to be...not normal see things a little differently than most hense finding LOTR intriguing because of it's uniqueness......
Old 08-20-2003, 04:25 PM   #14
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

LOL, One Axe, I love your sig! Not that I recognize myself in those lines or anything...nope, siree, I definetely don't [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

Back to the topic - I love it that everybody starts off with: Well, I've always have been insane ... and continuing along the lines of: 'but joining this forum really did it for me; btw I'm writing this from an asylum' [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] . Same here! I've always been kinda obsessive, but I needed something really 'powerful' to turn my insanity on active mode! Only X Files and Tolkien managed to do this so far.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:48 PM   #15
Lëowen
Haunting Spirit

Location: my computer chair, being smothered by my impossibly large cat
Lëowen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lëowen
Shield

I've been insane for longer than I can remember...but now that I've read LotR and am learning Quenya, I can be insane in two different languages! Huzzah!
And it is quite amazing how many people here are more like me than anyone else I've met in 'real' life.
I think Tolkien's works put us very close to insanity, and the Barrow-downs kind of pushes us over the edge... not like that's a bad thing, mind you.... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2003, 05:13 PM   #16
Arien_Tinuviel
Pile O'Bones

Arien_Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

but imagine 2 sites puching you over the edge.....

(I am insane only a language and 3/4) [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2003, 10:04 PM   #17
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

What i think it is, eventho many of us er, most of us, er all of us, were never "normal" but after reading LotR and the like certain questions poped into our heads, for example... do balrog have wings? It does someting to you subcontionsly, To quote Louis Black (comedian) "Your walking in a mall and you hear a girl say "If it wernt for my horse, id never have spent that year in college" so you turn to your friends to see if they heard it, but tehre pretending to be interesting in buying a cell phone which they never would because they dont understand the payment plan, then you turn back around to as the girl waht she ment by that and she is gone, then you go home and your laying in bed about to go to sleep and the last thing that pops into your head before u fall asleep is "if it wernt for my horse" and the enxt morning your dead form a brain anurism" (its not exact but ti gets the point acrost) Its the same thing with us, those little things like balrog and wings, or what is tommy bombadilly?
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:28 AM   #18
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Happy 50th post to me!! Yay!! I'm a Haunting Spirit!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I believe that my insanity was heightened upon my discovery of the Downs. at first I was taking LotR seriously, then this came along, and I found a place to reveal the silly ideas I have in my head about LotR that only my brother Nilpaurion can relate too. At least now I know we are not alone...

I'm a Haunting Spirit!!! Yay!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

See...I'm insane!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 04:55 AM   #19
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would really agree to that.. I am one of the strangest people on the planet, let alone in Australia, all my friends are, i have been trying and trying to convert them to come here.. but nooooo, Harry Potter is better apparently... fools... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

But anyway, you are totally right...

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote