Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2003, 06:02 PM   #1
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting Gondorian House Call RPG

Durelin's post

Striding down the dirt street at the head of a group of men, with a vast variety of pitch-forks, knives, hoes, axes, and a few swords, Hamfast's feet dragged, and he kept his eyes on the ground, frowning at his feet. He fingered his short sword in nervousness, always readjusting his coat. It just didn't feel right, prancing around in fancy clothes with a sword. And leading men. Men! He couldn't lead a herd of swine, much less a group of men. No, not a group, a company, they were a fighting force. Hamfast was ready to faint. "Cheer up, Master Hamfast," came a deep rumbling voice from beneath a rough brown beard on the dwarf beside him. His friend Anuionin was one of the few things that kept him going. But, at the head of all those few things stood his wife. Emmy Greenhand could be quite fierce and imposing. Hamfast thought she should be the one wearing a sword at her belt. "We have been through these attacks together once before, we will survive them once again."

"I know, Anuionin, I know," he mumbled, and the dwarf gave a long sigh. It sounded much like a growl coming from the dwarf.

"Hamfast, I cannot make you think of this differently, but I ask you to make the best of this you can."

"I will try." The two had had many exchanges like this already. It was becoming a routine everyday. After Anuionin gave up each day, the talk crept away from the topic. Today, there was only silence. It seemed that the dwarf was tired of this. Hamfast was himself, but he wouldn't ever admit that. "Well," he began, then stopped for another moment, switching what he was going to say. "I'm sorry, old friend. I have been a real stick in the mud the past days. I will make the best of it from here on out, as you have constantly told me. Forgive me for taking so long to come to my senses."
The dwarf gave a rumbling laugh. "I knew you were too smart of a hobbit to go on like this forever. I figured you'd understand eventually. Though I will admit to getting a bit tired of trying to convince you."

"I will admit to that too, Master Dwarf," Hamfast answered him, grinning as Anuionin roared with laughter. "Hamfast, my dear hobbit, you are truly a wise man!" The two friends laughed together, and Hamfast walked down the streets off Bree at the head of the company with his head high and a smile on his face.

Helkahothion's post

There was a battle, early in the Fourth Age, fought near the boundaries of Lothlorien, between Easterlings, Orcs, and the Elves of The Golden Wood. It was fought over Anuion, an Elf messenger who carried vital information for Galadriel and was captured by the Easterlings.

There should have been nothing that out of the ordinary about the battle that followed; the Elves got rid of the Easterlings in a very short time, only a few days, but there was something a little different as well. Two Easterlings were left and stubbornly still tried to resist. Amazingly, something unusual between the two races occurred – the light of reason shone out brightly, and the two sets of foes were able to talk calmly to one another and reach a peaceable conclusion. Those who were left felt a little strange when they departed from the battle scene - it was almost as if a feeling of fellowship had grown between the mixed group.

But, as after all battles, there were casualties, even among the Elves, one of these being Durelin - a close friend of Anuion, the Elven messenger, a friend of Anuion’s, Telpeheled, and his close human friend, Bordarigorn. Once Durelin was buried, the trio separated, but only for a while.

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 07-16-2003, 06:02 PM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Lyra Greenleaf’s post

Telpeheled smiled slowly. “Liniel I swear it, I saw the Evenstar often in Lórien and you are far more beautiful than she. I-”
”Telp I heard you say that to Elenaya yesterday. Oh, and Thrabduil’s sister-daughter the day before that.
Telpeheled turned to scowl at the Elf who had interrupted him.
“I would rather you stayed out of this Anuion. After all I’ve done for you…”
Anuion choked and opened his mouth to protest. Telp ignored him and turned back to Liniel. She had gone.

“Oh I understand” Telp continued grimly. “It’s jealousy. Simply because I have so many admirers while you…”
Telpeheled paused significantly.
Ignoring the insult he knew was not to be taken seriously, Anuion began to walk. Without words, Telp followed. They walked in silence for a while.
“I-“
“You-“
The two Elves exchanged smiles as they began to talk at the same time.
“Go on, Telp” said Anuion.

“Anuion, you know I wanted the chance to see your land, visit your family don’t you?”
Telp paused, then continued at his friend’s nod.
“I like it here. Thranduil’s court is amusing, there are many beautiful maidens, lots of wine…”
He trailed off. Anuion waited.
“But I wish to see the world again. I want to see humans again. I want- I want to see men, and periannath and Dwarves. I want to see Gondor, Rohan, Fangorn, Ithilien…The tales they tell here of the journey of Legolas, the king’s son! I want to see what he saw. I want to-”
”Go to join Bordarigorn?” Anuion finished for him. Telp nodded slowly.
“Then that is what you must do. Go to him in the North, and I will meet you both, as arranged, in Rohan”
“Thank you.” Telpeheled grinned at his friend. He had known Anuion would not be offended, after all Telp had left the Golden Wood for adventure, not to join a city of Elves in the northern branch of the same wood! So he would find Bordarigorn,. It couldn’t be too hard, after all there was little up north, certainly few men such as Bordarigorn. Just many periannath and suchlike. Telp longed to see Hobbits, they seemed as a tale for the fireside but they certainly existed. There were many tales of Hobbits circulating at the moment. Yes, it would be good.

It did not work out so well. It was fairly simple to find the township of Bree after a short stay at famed Imladris, but there were indeed men aplenty in the area. There were a number of Rangers such as Bordarigorn, but most had gone to the South with the new King of Gondor. The men of Bree were far simpler folk. Yet, Telp had to admit they provided good hospitality- the inn of the Prancing Pony was comfortable, the innkeeper shrewder than he looked. And there were periannath, Hobbits as they were known here. For the first few days Telpeheled wanted to smile each time he saw them in the streets, wrinkled old Hobbits the height of his waist! It was wonderful.

Then he began to worry, and it stopped being so wonderful. He had left much of his money with Anuion to bring to Mirkwood; more was in the bag which Bordarigonr held for him. For the first time Telpeheled began to realise that he could do worse than look after his own belongings.

A few days before he knew he would have to leave the inn, Telp sat with an ale (a new experience but certainly a good one) and listened to the tales of wolves in the neighbourhood. He remembered a time he had fought wolves and had to be carried by Bordarigorn, but was unwilling to share the tale with these assembled man and Hobbits. After a while he noticed one voice louder than the others decrying the foul beasts. Looking with interest for the speaker, Telp noticed someone he had not seen around Bree before- a Dwarf. The dwarf noticed Telpeheled’s astonished stare and frowned.

“What is it, Master Elf?” he asked grumpily. The men and Periannath who had not noticed Telpeheled stirred in interest and turned. They saw few Elves, if any.”
“You have trouble with wolves?” Telp asked lightly.
“Yes. What of it?”
”I believe I could help you” Telp offered.
“Why would you do that?” the Dwarf asked disbelievingly, staring at Telpeheled from under the largest eyebrows he had ever seen.
“Will you let me stay in your house?”

The Dwarf’s mouth dropped open. Of all he had expected, Telp would wager it was not this. Still Telpeheled did not agree with the feud, many Elves disliked humans and he knew that they were certainly not all bad. Anyway there had been a Dwarf mentioned in the tales of Legolas of Mirkwood, along with the periannath. He only hoped the Dwarf was as willing to forget their races’ history.

It seemed the Dwarf, Anuionin was his name, cared more about saving his home than pointless enmities, for to Telp’s relief he offered him a room. In a week they had achieved, if not the lifelong friendship it seemed Legolas Thranduilion had managed, a mutual trust and respect. It was a start.

Today Telpeheled sat in his room in the house of a dwarf, explaining the situation to a friend through the mind-speak of Osanwë
‘A Dwarf?’ Maeralagos asked. Telpeheled could hear the smile in his voice.
‘Are you surprised?’
‘By you? Never’
‘I-’

“Elf?” the Dwarf’s call interrupted Telp. He had learnt that calling him ‘Elf’ was no sign of dislike by Anuionin.
‘Fare well, Maeralagos. Good luck finding a wife before I return to divert the maidens’ attention’
‘Farewell Telp’

Telpeheled left his room.
“Yes Dwarf?” he called entering the passageway. With the Dwarf he saw a man.
“Telpeheled?” the man asked.
“Bordarigorn?” Telp returned in shock.

Old 07-16-2003, 06:02 PM   #3
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Sapphire_Flame's post

Haleth strode swiftly down the road. Returning from a journey was somehow invigorating, and left her anxious to start the next. She could see the wall of Bree just ahead.

"Perhaps I shall stop by The Prancing Pony before heading home," she thought. The idea of a few pints of ale was tempting in the extreme; so instead of taking the little-used turnoff to her house, she kept on the main road. Her cloak flicked out behind her in the light wind.

A sound off to the side suddenly caught her attention and she jumped back a step, pulling out her bow and setting an arrow to the string. And not a moment too soon. An enormous wolf leapt out of the brush and charged right where Haleth had been standing. It spun round for a fresh attack; Haleth let her arrow fly, striking the wolf in the eye and halting it in it's tracks. It wheeled round, howling in rage. Haleth sent another arrow. It imbedded itself in the wolf's side and the creature collapsed.

Securing her bow again, Haleth walked up to the creature and glared at it. She pulled her arrows out--she never wasted arrows when she could help it--and returned them to her quiver.

"Bloody wolves," she muttered contemptuously, giving the body a good kick. This was the third time she'd been attacked in the last two days. Something was going on. Leaving the body behind, she continued into Bree.

Once she arrived at The Prancing Pony, she found that she wasn't the only one having trouble with wolves. Just listening to other conversations as she walked in yielded plenty of information. She dropped down into a seat at the bar. The barmaid plunked an ale down in front of her before she even had to say a word.

"Well then, Anuionin, I've heard you've been having some wolf trouble," she said to the dwarf sitting a seat down. "You all been dealing with 'em okay?"

"As well as ever," Anuionin said. "Could always use more help, though. I'm glad you're back; always been a good fighter."

"And I've had my share of wolf trouble the last few days. Can't say I'd be unwilling to shoot a few more of those blasted creatures." She took a long pull at her drink. "Always glad to help, as you should know. Just let me know what to do."

Just then a man came into the Inn. Haleth watched him as he sat down and old Barliman came and took his order. Haleth nudged Anuionin when she noticed that the man carried a long sword, and a shield that seemed to be covered in troll skin.

"Seems we've got another warrior here," she said.

"Not just any warrior. That's Bordarigorn; he grew up here. Haven't seen him for nigh on fifty years." The dwarf slid off his seat and approached Bordarigorn. Haleth took another drink as she watched them talk. The man certainly didn't look as though he was over fifty years old...

Old 07-16-2003, 06:03 PM   #4
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Helkahothion's post

It was only a short time after the battle that they received a message from King Elessar, asking them to come and meet with him, so he could commend them for their bravery. Bordarigorn had said farewell to both Telpeheled and Anuion and was feeling quite depressed. He was hardly ever separated from the two and hated to be so. But after the war of the ring he grew concerned how it affected his parents and both he and Anuion separated to visit their own. Telpeheled joined Anuion, because he had not visited Mirkwood. They had agreed that they would meet up in the White Horse Inn in Rohan.

Right now, Bordarigorn was standing on front of the Bree gate. The man looked at him with suspicion.

"What is your business here?" He asked firmly.

He did not recognize Bordarigorn. Must have been because Bordarigorn left at the age of 18. Bordarigorn looked him in his face and just felt like laughing. The other however looked stern and was going to get an answer.
"Bordarigorn has returned home and will visit his family. With your permission I would not like to wait and hurry down there. So if you would be so kind as to move out of my way, I can go see my father and mother." He said sternly.

The man did not look as he believed him, but the name Bordarigorn was familiar with him. He opened the gate and Bordarigorn ran to the homes as fast as he could. He searched for his parental house and rushed home.

"Mother, I have returned!" He shouted when he entered the home.

A woman looked at him with her eyes and mouth wide open. She looked like seeing a ghost and for a moment she actually thought she was. She dropped the pot she had in her hands and it shattered on the floor. With tears in her eyes she ran to the man and hugged him, barely reaching his chest.

A man came in and he did not speak. It was Bordarigorn's father.

"Blessed is this day that after the war my son has returned." He said.

That night, there was a bonfire and Bordarigorn was amazed by the story of "Frodo of the Nine Fingers and Samwise the brave." He jerked his head at the end of the story when the name Aragorn was mentioned.

”Aragorn? Well, I have some news for all of you. The King has asked me to see him! After we defended Lorien, he asked to see us, to commend us for defending the Golden Wood. I intend to set off tomorrow.”
And so it happened that next morning he headed out down the road to visit Aragorn. He walked down the road and decided to make his stop at "The Prancing Pony" in Bree, a fine establishment. He went in and was surprised to see that the people looked relieved to see him. Everywhere he looked, people nodded at him and smiled, obviously happy that he was there. He found the Inn and took a seat at a table. Butterbur came to him and took his order. As he waited for his food, he felt a little nudge on his leg. Bordarigorn looked down and was surprised to see that he had been nudged by a Dwarf in wool clothes.

"Have you come to join the defenses?" The Dwarf asked.

"The what?"

"The town is being raided again. It's the second time those nasty Wargs came back with those wolves and their amount is bigger then ever. We already have an Elf, but he did not seem too experienced in combat. He is currently staying at my place, because he ran out of money. Would you mind helping us out and destroy those critters once and for all?" The Dwarf spoke bitterly about the wolves as if they where an old enemy of his.

What surprised Bordarigorn most was that the Dwarf gave shelter to an Elf, a stranger. He wondered who this Elf was. Bordarigorn was definitely not going to miss a battle. What could he have to lose? It would be nice to have a little battle with some Wolves and Wargs. And it would make these people happy, too.

"Of course I’ll help. Could I speak to the Elf?"

Old 07-16-2003, 06:03 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Silmarien's post

Meggan woke to the sound of an alarming anarchy outside her window. There was the frenetic baaing of sheep and the angry, warning growls of her wolfhound, Oscar. ‘Sheep rustlers, wolves?!’ she wondered apprehensively before she leapt from her bed, grabbed her dagger and spear, lit a torch, ran down the stairs, through the garden and headed for her pasture to defend her sheep. But even as she ran the uproar died down. She arrived to find Oscar lying on the ground and a trail of blood leading off to the north. She quickly counted the sheep and found 3 ewes and a lamb missing.

When the workers came the next morning, Anuionin the dwarf was exited. The defences had another member and a great warrior to boot. He tolled the good news to Megan and she got caught in two fires. She wanted to join, but would need to find someone to look after the farm while she was gone. She knew there where plenty of people who could do that, but lack of trust made it hard to pick someone. She liked to have things her way, but the urge of leaving grew stronger as Anuionin spoke.

Old 07-16-2003, 06:06 PM   #6
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Please remember to remove your signatures from each Game post.

Will remove this post once everyone has posted to the game.

Old 07-18-2003, 02:11 PM   #7
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Amanaduial’s post

Nariah swept her cloth across the table one more time and frowned, her freckles wrinkling on her nose as she did so as she glared at the table with her green eyes. She had been scrubbing at it for a good five minutes now, and it seemed some drink stains and coins just wouldn't remove themselves! She heard a quiet sniggering behind her, but didn't turn, simply closing her eyes. Then she whirled around, to see a boy a few years older than her, say 24, sitting with two of his friends and sniggering into his glass. She placed her hands on her hips like a schoolteacher.

"Athor Merrilbur! And at your age as well!" She exclaimed, as if she was accusing him of something. Now Athor grinned openly at her.

"I was wondering how long you'd be scrubbing at that, Nariah." He winked rogueishly at her. "Just a little fish-glue, does wonders you know-"

He dived out of the barmaid's way as she swiped at him with her cloth. "Hey, watch it, Nariah! I- oi! Thats mine!" Athor attempted to get back the hat which Nariah had grabbed from his head, scrabbling at her hands, which she held above her head as she climbed onto a bar stool. Eventually he just grabbed both her legs and lifted her from the stool, then swung her around as if she was a damsel in distress. Nariah whooped as he picked her up, then just laughed. Athor looked at her almost seriously, for him, although a small grin still hovered around his face. "Now, Miss Alderleaf, that hat is an heirloom-"

"You got it last week, Athor!"

"-an heirloom I tell you-"

"Athor, I saw you buy it!"

"Alright, it will be an heirloom, ok? My descendants-"

"-Will apparently have a taste in hats just as dire as yours!" Nariah laughed and tried to get out of his grasp, but Athor pulled her back, pecking her on the cheek. She cried out, hand to cheek, but he simply grinned back.

"I'll never give you another if you don't give me the hat now, Nariah."

"Is that a threat or a promise?" Nariah smiled through her words and placed the hat on his head so it covered his eyes. He tried to look under it, but was greeted with a kiss on his own cheek. Nariah grinned and stepped away, cuffing him lightly on the head as she walked back to the bar, picking up a few dirty glasses on the way.

"Er...miss, can I get a drink over here, please?" A polite voice inquired as she reached the bar. She turned and saw a man in ranger's clothing talking to a dwarf nearby. He must have come in not long ago, but Nariah didnt recognise him, and hoped he hadn't seen her and Athor- Butterbur would skin her alive.

"Yes, of course. An ale, sir?" She inquired. He nodded gratefully, and Nariah went to get it, sneaking another look at him as she did so. She made a note to speak to him when she gave him the drink- there wasn’t much news at the moment, and this ranger certainly looked like he would have news.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:12 PM   #8
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio’s post

Carchmoroth and his children were the last of their line. The once proud pack of his sires of old had dwindled down to these three. They had tried once before to reclaim a small segment of hunting territory north of Bree-land, but had been driven back. Eight years had passed, but the hateful memories of this defeat at the hands of the two-leggeds were still well banked embers, waiting only to be fanned into life again.

Now they had just come out of a harsh northern winter, and the failed promise of a pallid spring. They were reduced to hunting small burrowing rodents and the very occasional Orc who ventured out from the Misty Mountains. But the Orcs had grown more wary, and the small mouthfuls of ground creatures could not satisfy their hunger.

Once again, need pushed them south . . . to the Weather Hills.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:08 AM   #9
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Eye

"Yes it is I Telp. Long time since I saw you. You foolish piece of elfish material. Running out of money. It's the stupidest thing you have done so far. Mae govannen."

They met and were delighted. Telpeheled could finally have some company he was more familiar with. Anuionin just glared and raised one of his eyebrows. Telpeheled introduced the two to each other.

"Bordarigorn, this is Anuionin. He has been keeping me company and has been so kind as to lend me a place in his house. Anuionin, you might already know Bordarigorn. He is one of the strongest man and an old member of the rangers of the north."

Anuionin made a bow to Bordarigorn and the big man returned the favour. Bordarigorn went outside with Telpeheled behind him. They went down the street and made a left at the Inn. They passed it and went the second street to the right. After some turning and evading they came to a house. It looked like everyone else’s and was inhabited by a man and a woman. That's all Telpeheled could see. As they went in, Bordarigorn went for a room right away.

"Is that you Borda, what are you doing." The woman said.

"Just getting some belongings from a friend mother. I'll be out in a flash."

But the man walked to Telpeheled. He touched Telpeheled's face and hands. He fumbled trough his hair and felt the shape of his ears. The man's pained face turned into a smile as he shook Telpeheled's hand.

"Another elf. Borda has taken another one to our house once. Anuion was his name. You are not like him I'm sorry to say. His skin, it felt older. Much older. Yes, you have the makings of a strong person. Bree will be blessed with an elf such as you in the defences. If only you and Borda were here when those damn wolves first came here."

"Alas, that was not the fact. But we will make up for lost times and give those wolves something they will never forget. For when Bordarigorn unleashes his wrath, it will be terrible." Telpeheled said.

"Indeed it will. I will take revenge on them for taking my fathers sight. Once Anuionin gives the signal my grandfathers horn will shake the steps and send those wolves crying in fear."

"I hope so son, I really do."

They left the house and went to the Inn. Bordarigorn tossed a little purse to Telpeheled. With money once again, Telpeheled felt a bit more independent and as they entered the Inn it was a rackage of unbelievable size. A woman had entered and was fondly talking to Anuionin. Telpeheled recognised her.
She was the sheep farmer were the dwarf worked. It appeared that the wolves had attacked her farm. Her dog had managed to get one of the wolves, but was injured. The woman was out of control and asked everyone to cure her dog. She walked over to Bordarigorn and grabbed him by the hand.

"Can you cure him? He has a bite wound in his side. He's in pain." She said.

Bordarigorn took his backpack and took out some herbs and bandages. He asked Barliman Butterbur for some hot water. He looked at the dog and the kind creature looked back at him with a pained face. As soon as he got the hot water he placed the herbs in them. A refreshing sent spread trough the room and Telpeheled immediately knew what it was. Bordarigorn drenched some bandages in the water. He crushed some more leaves, chewed them to porridge and laid them in the wound. The dog yelped, but let the man do his thing. Bordarigorn now took the bandages and wrapped them around the wound. The dog stood up slowly and licked Bordarigorn's hands. Bordarigorn petted the dog on his hand and smiled at the woman.

"He should be ok. Just let him rest for a day or two and he should be up and about."

"Thank you kind sir. If there is anything I can do."

"Nah of course not. Well, there is. Could I stay at your farm for a while? If the wolves come back, I can take some of em down before they run again."

The woman agreed and Bordarigorn went back to Telpeheled. At that moment, Anuionin took a chair to raise himself above the crowd and beckoned he had a message.

"People of Bree. We have men and women able to fight the wolves, but bravery is not enough. Come to the town square tomorrow if you still wish to fight the invading rats from the east. We will be giving out weapons for all of those who don't have them, but still want to fight. Hamfast will lead that operation. As will he lead the attack. For now, get ready, the attack is not far. We are still discussing about a strategy, so that is still not all in the bottle. We are open to suggestions. For now, I wish you a nice afternoon. I am off now to discuss some more matters with Leader Hamfast."

With these words, he jumped of the chair and walked outside. He went to his neighbour, but Hamfast was not home. His wife said that he was out with his son. It appeared that his son wanted to join in the fight too. Anuionin grinned. Hamfast was not only a leader now; he was a tactician and an arms teacher. What a strange time it was. Anuionin asked if she could give him a yell when Hamfast came back. With the approval he left for his own house and have a bit of his own ale. As he was enjoying a glass of it, Telpeheled came walking in and greeted the dwarf.

"You want some?" Anuionin said while holding up his beer.

"That would be delighted." Telpeheled replied with a smile.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:55 AM   #10
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Faye's Post:

"Excuse me, Anuionin. Are you still looking for help killing wolves?" Vana asked tapping the dwarf on the shoulder. "Ah, Vana! Nice to see you." The dwarf reached out his hand to Vana. His grip was very strong. "And yes I am still in search for help. Are you interested?" The dwarf asked.

Vana tossed back her cloak to reveal a fine crafted long sword. Smiling, she said "Is this sword good enough?" The dwarf chuckled. "Ah, a fine crafted sword that is! Indeed it is good enough."

Vana giggled at the dwarf's excitement. "I'm not exactly a warrior, but I do have enough skills with a sword to help you fight off the wolves." The Dwarf nodded and said, "I think you will do fine. I will be needing you to come by the farm tonight."

Vana nodded and thanked the Dwarf with a handshake. This was an exciting day for her. Finally, a job for her in Bree.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:02 PM   #11
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Telpeheled took a mug of ale from the dwarf and smiled his thanks. Inwardly he marvelled at himself. Such a short time since leaving the Golden Wood and here he was, drinking something he'd never heard of before and being friendly with a dwarf! Yes, his life had certainly changed when he met Bordarigorn. It was lucky the man had got over his initial reluctance to let Telp come.

It was a nice feeling to think he could make a difference to the lives of the people here, and he would be quite glad to fight wolves. He owed them a grudge after the last time... It was better than fighting men anyway, that was a far too complicated emotion. Looking around the inn earlier he had seen many different types of people, as well as some of those interesting Halflings. This was a really fascinating place.

“So” he began, fixing his gaze on Anuionin, “what is the plan for getting rid of those wolves?”
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 07-27-2003, 01:35 PM   #12
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Nursing a badly bruised shoulder, Hamfast rapped on the round, hobbit door. The home might have been made for a hobbit, but its current occupant was a dwarf. He had nearly leaped out of his shoes when Anuionin had said he was moving in next door to Hamfast, and had been equally surprised by the news that the dwarf was sheltering an elf, and was on quite friendly terms with Telpheled, as the elf was called. It seemed that Hamfast was doing a lot of leaping these days.

Hamfast shot an accusing look at his son behind him, from which the young hobbit shrunk away with wide, apologetic eyes. The bruise had come from young Dury, from his wooden practice sword, at least. Dury had insisted on his father teaching him to use the sword -- the short-sword, really -- and Hamfast had little choice with his wife backing up her "brave, bearing little" son. Brave, bearing...little? He'll be as big as I in another year, and he's only going to see his twentieth year! It's that confounded stew Isa makes...I'd bet my boots on it. And...she said bearing? Hamfast snorted considerably loudly just as the round door swung open to reveal his friend, bushy eyebrows almost hiding the glint in his eye.

"Why, Master Hamfast!" the dwarf began, grinning rather mischieviously. "Have you come down with the snuffles, then? I can make you some tea with honey to soothe--"

"No, Anuionin," I do not have the snuffles." He paused to grimace, and shoot another glance at his son. But..he was proud of him... "You asked for me to stop by?"

Two men suddenly crouched down behind Anuionin to see outside of the door. At first glance, one of them was quite young, and the other seemed quite a bit older. But then Hamfast saw the pointed ears on the younger that, and the immortal face, marked him as an elf. The other was most certainly a man. Not of Bree; Hamfast hadn't seen him before, at least. Still, there was one thing these two had in common. They were warriors; that you could tell with a second look.

Some instinct or such made Hamfast turn to eye his son, still standing behind him. Sure enough, his mouth was open, and his eyes were ready to pop out. Overall, he looked about to faint. He had obviously seen the pointed ears, too. Hamfast was shaking his head in exasperation as the elf, Telpheled, he guessed, commented, "I advise that you close your lips together, young master, bugs are sure to fly in."

[ July 27, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]
Old 07-27-2003, 03:01 PM   #13
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The three great beasts sat on a rocky ridge overlooking a small holding just beyond the Midgewater Marshes. Their keen eyes watched closely as the man and his son moved their goats to a pasturage nearer the base of the Weather Hills. Two small herd dogs moved with them, nipping at the goats’ legs, herding them where the man indicated.

Two miles beyond west of the pasture was the main house, and only the wife and two small children remained there. They were working in the garden, gathering vegetables for their meal that evening. One of the children was peeling some tuberous vegetables, and the youngest child gathered them up in a bucket for the pigs in the nearby pigpen.

Carchmoroth snorted. ‘How foolish of the two-leggeds not to stick closely in a pack, especially given how weak they are, how easily killed.’ He watched as the routine work went on, then rose as the women and children went into the house, their work in the garden done.

‘Come,’ he smiled, his grizzled lips pulling back to show his yellowed teeth in a gruesome grin. ‘The pigs are nicely stuffed, I think. And I have a taste for pork today . . .’

They took two of the smaller sows in a quick bloody raid, leaving a boar dead behind them and the little piglets squealing for their mothers . . .
Old 07-28-2003, 01:16 PM   #14
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Nariah heard the squeals from where she sat on the ridge of a hill, laughing with Athor as they watched the clouds, but it didn't stop her straight away. Why should it? But the sound continued, the terrified, pained squeals of little pigs, it seemed. She held up a hand to Athor, and suddenly, the sound seemed like more than simply a few animals playing. She didn't know why, but there was something in the note of their terror that stirred memories...

Standing suddenly, Nariah looked over the hills towards the sounds of the squeals...and sure enough, she saw the sleek, dark figures, like black, liquid shadows moving across the hillside. She didn't hear Athor's voice until he pulled at her arm.

"Nariah? What's the matter?" He asked, concerned at her expression.

She simply watched the wolves moving away, knowing that they would leave a trail of blood behind them, knowing the pain which those teeth had inflicted. Knowing she must help, again.

"They are back," she murmered, before turning suddenly and starting to run back towards the town. Athor looked at her retreating back, baffled, for he had not seen the wolves. Then, heaving a sigh, he stood and followed the girl, inquisitive and worried at something that could cause such a drastic reaction in the indomitable Nariah.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:08 AM   #15
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

"My, my, things are getting crowdie every second. Come in Hamfast. It's not a good thing to stay out on the street."

Vana had just slipped trough visitors. Leaving coming when Telpeheled was upstairs, going just before Hamfast arrived. Anuionin was not surprised for she had those kinds of things all the time. Hamfast and his son entered Anuionin's house and they all sat around the table, enjoying the fine beer. Hamfast's son was still staring at Telpeheled. Telpeheled was amused by this and stared right back until Bordarigorn gave him a nudge in his side. They talked about nothing and the weather and the room was getting cosy until a hard pound came on the door. They shot up and Anuionin walked to the door, which always had an axe next to it to work out unwanted visitors.

"Who is it?" Anuionin said while holding the stick of the weapon.

"It's me Nariah, please let me in."

Anuionin opened the door and Nariah walked in. She looked hasty as if she had been running a long distance. Athor was standing behind her, gasping for breath. The two walked in and took another chair at the big round table, which was beginning to get awfully crowded. Nariah was fondly talking with Anuionin and no one but Telpeheled could here what they were talking about. His face turned grim as Anuionin listened and soon it was just an easy guess what Nariah had seen.

"The wolves have just raided the farm of farmer Torrac. A massacre was made and they left. It is indeed a horrible time. It is now or never, we must make a good and well thought of plan. But I don't know how we can get them. The last time we had a plan yes, but they will probably expect that. So we must come up with something else." Anuionin said rapidly.

"Calm down master dwarf. They have not attacked people. It could have been worse. I have had many encounters with wild animals, and the main thing is that they have a spot where they always gather. Every pack has it. It's part of their organisation you see. So if we can find that spot, it will be easy to eradicate them."

"Easy you say? Those things are mighty strong and cunning as well. Their claws are like razors and their teeth like scythes." Hamfast's son squealed.

"One well placed blow or shot and they stop moving. As long as you know where to hit them." Telpeheled interrupted.

"But that is for tomorrow. Right now, we need all the rest we can get. Tomorrow there will be weapons to be given out. It is already obvious that most of the people that joined will be staying in Bree to defend it. They act brave, but in the meantime. So I guess it is up to us to hunt them down. But with the three new fine additions I have no fear." Anuionin said.

With that remark, everybody looked at the dwarf. They had Telpeheled and Bordarigorn yes, but who was the third. Hamfast's son was glowing, Athor was turning white in fear. Was he the third man? But Anuionin tolled them about the visit he got from Vana. When he was finished, Hamfast's son was pouting and Athor was sighing in relieve.

"Come one everyone, if you are not going to sleep here, get out because I would very much like to hit the sack."

Anuionin and Telpeheled escorted the people out the door. Bordarigorn himself went to the Inn. At the entrance of Anuionin's house he bowed for the dwarf and thanked him for the hospitality and the beer. With a smile on his face he went on his way.

Old habits never die. Bordarigorn thought to himself.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:53 PM   #16
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

“We’ll get them Oscar, you and me, we’ll make them pay!” 14 years of working hard and socialising little, had brought about her habit of talking to her dog. She was so glad he had been healed. Unsurprisingly her herd was the main reason for joining the fight against the wolves. Her love for Oscar was the one that pushed her into facing the reality of the wolf raids they weren’t going away. The reason for which she swore “They’ll pay Oscar, I’ll make them pay!”

Meggan walked to the inn, to find out if there had been any other attacks that day. After hearing of the strike on the Torrac farm she was even more convinced that these wolves had to be eradicated and that she must join the fight.

She was busy convincing others to support the fight, when the kind man who had helped heal Oscar came in. “Please sir, have an ale in thanks for your kindly services earlier today.’ ‘Two ales Butterbur’ ‘Are you here to help in the conflict with the wolves?” she inquired, amazing herself by starting a conversation.
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Old 07-30-2003, 04:51 AM   #17
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

"Indeed I have Meggan. You are not the only one that has to settle a score with them." Bordarigorn said.

The sun was fading down and the Inn began to grow crowdie more and more every second. Butterbur was running around with trays of Ale while Nariah was getting ready for her shift. She came out and immediately started running at the same pace as the fat Innkeeper. Bordarigorn was amused that a man his posture could walk so fast without even spilling a drop of ale. But he figured that all those years in the business could do that to you. He now turned his attention back to Meggan who had gone quite by the mention of her name.

"I have been hearing that you are willing to go on the attack and not stay here in defence of the town. All those men are cowards. The best defence is offence as a friend of mine always says." Bordarigorn said agitated.

"Indeed they are cowards. But I would not shout that out in this Inn so hard. You see that man over there? He doesn't like being called a coward and he is not even defending this town. But I would not go pick a fight with him." Meggan said with a frightened look on her face.

Bordarigorn glanced over to the man. He was standing in the middle of the group. Bragging about how he could take down those wolves if he felt like it.

"Ah yes, I would show those little rats a lesson, but my wife eh, she doesn't want me to go. I'd show that Anuionin a trick or two. That elf and that ranger lad too. They could really learn a lot from me."

Bordarigorn got annoyed with the man and stepped in the group. In one second, everyone felt the dead silence threatening and no one dare to break it. Bordarigorn was now facing the man who had been bragging so much.

"Show me a few tricks eh? I can defeat you with my left hand bound on my back." Bordarigorn said.

"Is that a threat?"

"No it's a challenge. Come on outside big boy. It will give the men an opportunity to earn some money on your brave words."

The Inn roared with joy and some men were already moving tables out of the way. Butterbur allowed it since the customers started buying a lot more ale and he did not want to spoil their fun. If that ranger would win, it could get the word of his Inn out a bit more.
Some men came with a rope and bound Bordarigorn's left hand tightly to his right leg so his hand was at his lower back. The weapons were removed and the visitors of the Inn stood in a circle around the men. Most of the man just thought that Bordarigorn was bragging and were betting on their friend. He was strong, besides bragging he had proven that a lot of times. But strength is not everything and Bordarigorn knew that. Athor was one of the few betting on Bordarigorn. The little money he had left was on him. He walked over to the man.

"Listen, you knock him down, I don't want to loose my money ok?" Athor said.

"It's already doubled." Bordarigorn added with an assuring smile.

Now all hell broke loose. The man had caught sent of the words and punched Bordarigorn in the face. Bordarigorn hardly fell over. His neck was just a bit backwards. He faced the man again. The man kicked for the groan, but was blocked. Bordarigorn parried the leg and kicked him hard against the shin. The man cried out and the visitors were not laughing anymore. All except Athor. Bordarigorn took his free hand and punched the man in the face. He flew back and landed in the crowd. The men pushed him back because most of them had money placed. But he was done. Bordarigorn just walked up to him and punched him down again. The man was knock out and did not move.
Athor roared out and was walking triumphant to the man who had the bets placed. Athor had only placed a little, but the amount he had placed in was doubled times forty. With his newly acquired money he went back to the bar.

Bordarigorn walked over to Meggan who had been looking at the fight. With his dagger he cut the rope.

"You were saying?"

Next morning