The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-06-2000, 01:58 AM   #1
gamegie
Wight

gamegie has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Lord of the Rings minature figurines

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Animated Skeleton
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Do any of you guys collect the small ( 1 inch ) lead figurines of the Lord of the Rings and other D&amp;D games?

If so do you paint them ?

Charming Humble Hobbit</p>
gamegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2000, 04:44 AM   #2
galpsi
The Unquiet Dead

galpsi has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Unquiet Dead
Re: Lord of the Rings minature figurines

Somewhere I may still have a box of them dating back to the late-seventies and early-eighties when I played D&amp;D. I painted one -- quite badly -- and vowed never to do that again.

</p>
galpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2000, 05:45 AM   #3
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wraith of Angmar

I rushed out and bought about a dozen lead figures when I first started playing D&amp;D in about 1978. I tried to paint them but did a rather uninspired job. They were really very ugly by the time I was done with them.

My group quickly stopped using figures in our play because they caused more problems than they were worth. Postioning the characters and monsters in our minds proved much more fun and less clumsy than moving those little men around the table.

The Barrow-Wight (RKittle)
<font size="2">I usually haunt http://www.barrowdowns.comThe Barrow-Downs</a> and The Barrow-Downs http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgiMiddle-Earth Discussion Board</a>.</p>
Old 09-06-2000, 06:29 AM   #4
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newly Deceased

I still have a box of painted orcs somewhere back in my closet, dated circa 1982. I did a pretty good job on 'em, too, if I do say so myself. In fact, the reason we stopped using them in my campaign was that my players always felt the need to play out their attacks on figures like my precious orcs. Swords were broken, paint was chipped, it was not a pretty scene. The orcs and all other figures were summarily withdrawn from play.

</p>
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2000, 11:03 AM   #5
dogtrot
Animated Skeleton

dogtrot has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Animated Skeleton

I have painted these in all different scales since the late seventies. I started out using them for roleplaying but eventually just collected them to paint and put in cases. I really like alot of the LOTR figures made by Mithril, but most of mine are Ral Partha and some Grenadier. Now I am into 120mm figures, mostly medieval thru 16th century. These are bigger, more detail(about the size of action figures) and are usually made from resin which makes it easy to build custom pieces.

</p>
dogtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2000, 08:00 PM   #6
gamegie
Wight

gamegie has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

WOW you guys must be getting on, I was just getting out of diapers in 1977.......LOL

We did not actually use the figurines to play D&amp;D, we had all or most the LOTR characters so we would recreate battles and locations and then carry out the battle using dice (4,6,8,10,12 and 20 faces).

We also painted the figurines. Trust me painting Tom Bombadil on the back of his horse is a challenge, as was Sauron sitting on his chair.
Having all the people in the LOTR helped me visualise all the characters.

Charming Humble Hobbit</p>
gamegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 05:00 AM   #7
OrLaNdO RoX Da HoUsE

Eye

i haven't collected figurines, though i would like to!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:13 AM   #8
Aule
Wight

Aule has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Errrrrrr....my baby brother has the film figurines, like Gandalf and Aragorn. He loves them so much.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:01 PM   #9
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There are new table top games for FOTR and TTT with many different characters in every imaginable position. For example, there is an Aragorn for every battle and figures of the hobbits being carried away by the orcs. You have to paint them I think. I never painted one but I watched my friend paint his Warhammer figures once. It looks hard! But fun. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2003, 08:07 PM   #10
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

Quote:
I never painted one but I watched my friend paint his Warhammer figures once. It looks hard! But fun.
It is indeed. But it plays havoc with the eyesight. I swear that's how I ended up having to wear glasses. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2003, 08:57 PM   #11
Pukel-Man
Haunting Spirit

Pukel-Man has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Yes, trying to paint those figures will send you to the eye doctor. I'm a poor excuse for a painter unless it involves full-size vehicles or houses- so that's really the problem but they can look really cool if done with care.
This is not the time or the place to perform some kind of a half-assed autopsy on a fish... And I'm not going to stand here and see that thing cut open and see that little Kintner boy spill out all over the dock!-Mayor Vaughn
Pukel-Man is offline   Reply With Quote