The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2002, 10:33 AM   #1
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

gayare'dion has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien the threat of isenguard

i was thinking, do you think tolkien, put in the whole threat of isenguard, just so the fellowship could be split up, to add more action to the story ? or maybe he wanted to have isenguard be involved in the story as an evil land , and so he had to have the fellowship split up, but he really didnt want them too.

just a thought
Old 10-13-2002, 11:13 AM   #2
Anastasia
Haunting Spirit

Anastasia has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Anastasia
Sting

I think it was a way to show that even the wisest (ie. Saruman) can be corrupted by the ring and as a way of makig sure that the Fellowship dont go through the gap of Rohan.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:28 AM   #3
avarrogion
Wight

avarrogion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to avarrogion
Sting

Well i kinda agree with what Anastasia has said on the ring that corrupts even the wisest of them wizards. I beleive Tolkien added the Isengard part to show that humans and other beings can be united to fight evil. Take the example of Ents and the Riders of Rohan...am i rght?
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

"What have I said? What have I done? Frodo, Frodo! Come back! A madness took me, but it has passed. Come back!"
~Boromir~
Old 10-14-2002, 06:45 AM   #4
ilon
Animated Skeleton

ilon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ilon
Sting

I think you're right gayare'dion, but i think it was to split the fellowship and show each individuals strength and capabilities, especially the hobbits, to prove their worth of becoming part of the fellowship. And yes, to remind us the vulnerability of anyone (human or not) to the dark effects of the greed for power. If he is to be human, it's the greed for power and money, money = power for low-minded humans.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:57 PM   #5
GildorInglorion
Animated Skeleton

GildorInglorion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't think it was Isengard that split the fellowship, it was the fact that the one ring corrupted Boromir, and the others would also have been corrupted had they all proceeded.

I think Isengard very well shows how evil (sauron) works and what happens to someone who wants to use the one ring (Saruman)
If Galadriel or Gandalf had accepted the ring, that is what they would have become, only more powerful!